Disney's Old Key West Resort
$91
$77
HolidayInn.com
  • Pool
Hyatt Regency Orlando(Orlando)(Great Value!)
$289
$225
$202
  • Restaurant
Caribe Royale Orlando(Orlando)(Great Value!)
$154
  • Restaurant
Marriott's Grande Vista(Orlando)(Great Value!)
$145
$493
$313
Orbitz.com
2,711 results
All reviewshospitality housebedroom villamain poolturtle ponddowntown disneythe busolivia's restaurantdvc membersgurgling suitcasepeninsular roadmillers roadhospitality centerhospitality areasaratoga springsdisney vacation clubgrand villafull kitchen
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This review is a little late ( September 2012), but better late than never. Our group consisted of 6 adults and 2 pre-schoolers ( 3yo & 2yo grandsons). We purchased points from a DVC member and stayed in a Grand Villa. It was huge, and perfect for our group. We actually like to cook on vacation ( go figure!) so the kitchen was terrific. Went to the grocery store at the beginning of the trip and picked up everything we needed for the week. If you don't have a car but want to cook there are services that will do your shopping for you and deliver to your villa. The kitchen had had every gadget you will need on vacation, except for a slow cooker. If you like to grill, you have to take your stuff to one of the grills found near the pools scattered around the resorts. While my husband was grilling burgers, I took the little guys to the playground. There are grills and playgrounds near the quieter pools scattered around the resort.
The resort is quite large which can be a drawback for some folks, but since we did have one car it worked out well for us. If you do not have a vehicle you will want to take the size of the resort into account.
The balcony had a gold course view, and my elderly MIL and her friend loved sitting on the balcony and watching the golfers come by. With the shading and trees it was very cool even in September.
The GV has 3 bedrooms with a sleeper in the living room. There are 3 full baths and a bath with a shower for the sleeper sofa, so there is plenty of privacy and everyone had their own space. The master has a huge jacuzzi tub. Perfect for an evening following park hopping. Bathing in the big tub (minus jets) was a nightly highlight for our 2 grandsons!
There is a vacuum in the closet, which we used quite a bit cleaning up after the preschoolers. We stayed 8 days so we got a full cleaning one during the stay. There is a full size washer and dryer, so you don't need to bring as many clothes. Other DVC villas have smaller stacked washers and dryers, so the full size is a plus!
We used the Disney bus system as well as our car when only a few of us were gping to parks. Parking in the parks is free when staying in a Disney resort.
We have stayed in the Saratoga Springs before and was very satisfied; but overall the OKW villas are the largest in Disney in my opinion. We are going back this September into a 2 BR at OKW since a smaller group is going. The villas were renovated in 2010. The colors are light pastels with a seashore motif. Lots of windows providing lots of natural light.
I recommend investigating buying points if you want to stay in a DVC property because it is more cost effective than renting from Disney Reservations. You can even use the Magical Express which was perfect for us since we were flying in and out from different locations.
All-in-all it was a perfect place to stay. You can stay in cheaper places, but if you have the ability STAY ON SITE.

Room Tip: Request a villa close to the Hospitality House if you are using Disney Dining to cut down on travel time. This is NOT a resort you can traverse on foot; so if you are dependant on using the dining facilities at the Hospitality House you will want to be near it.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Lisa B
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This is the first on-Disney resort I have stayed at. In the past, I have always stayed at a hotel or rented a house off-Disney and rented a car.
For two people in one room, these rooms were definitely plenty big. However, they didn't have that "new room" feel that a typical hotel has. Same with the resort overall. If you're looking for space rather than decor, this could be your place. The rooms were clean and did have all the amenities we needed in a room.
The resort is also very big, so if you aren't very mobile you might want to opt for a smaller place to stay or, in the least, I would recommend letting them know if you can't walk far or climb stairs. This wasn't a problem for us at all, but it is a sprawling set up.
I liked the convenience of the shuttle, but definitely found some of the waits and trips to be quite long (not sure this has anything to do with the resort location - probably just how it goes staying on-Disney). By renting a car off-Disney, the trip may be just as long and clearly a little more complicated with having to park at each park.

Room Tip: Rooms are on two levels. If you can't climb stairs, make sure you let them know you want to be on one of the bottom level rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TravelLeap
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Our family of six, 2 daughters, 1 son-in-law, 1 granddaughter (3), my husband and myself stayed 7 days at Disney's Old Key West Resort. The resorts condo was perfect and roomy for us. We had privacy for each other, a screened in porch, a full size washer and dryer, a kitchen along with all the condo amenities.This resort was one of the first built so it is a little older but larger than the newer ones. It was a perfectly magical 7 days for us, especially at Christmas time. We recommend staying in any of the resorts at Disney but Old Key West Resort is great for a family staying together. If going to Disney always stay in a Disney resort with the (cheaper) meal plan! It is worth every penny :)

Room Tip: We prefer first floor so we don't have to carry luggage or packages up stairs. Especially after a long day walking in Disney.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Becky M
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is the first time we stayed at the Old Key West Resort. The 2 bedroom "villa" (apartment) we had was very large and great for the 6 of us (2 couples and two small children). Having two small children we appreciated the laundry facility and made use of it most days. We did find that the cleaning was not up Disney's usual standard. We also had to request coffee a couple of times - it is free for Disney guests but not to DVC guests. Old Key West Olivia's restaurant was basic and we only used it a couple of time. As we had the Disney Dining plan, we ate at various Disney locations (Port Orleans and Caribbean Beach - both very close had good quick service meals and breakfast food). We did have a car which made it easy to go from hotel to hotel as this is not really possible with the Disney transport.
The next time we plan a Disney holiday, we will consider Old Key West. We also really liked the fact that is was quiet and that the transport to and from the parks and Downtown Disney was quick. We never had to wait for a long time for a bus.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank BrigitteTK
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was our second time in a Disney hotel, first time at Old Key West. I loved it!!

Travelling as a couple (this was an engagement trip!!) we stayed in a one bedroom villa as I really wanted the 2 person jacuzzi bath (it's amazing to relax after a hard day at the parks, so couples, I REALLY recommend paying the extra from a studio just for the bath!!)

The villa had loads of room, handy to have a kitchen (we did have the Dining Plan, but to wake up and just be able to get your own cereal and make a coffee without walking anywhere, was brilliant!!) the decor is a bit old fashioned, but I could absolutely live with it for the space, the kitchen, the washing machine (I did my washing before I got home!!) and of course, the bath!!

It is a big resort, very spread out. We had done our homework and requested to be near a bus stop (there are about 5 stops around the complex), this was mostly because after a long day walking, you don't want a massive hike back to your room from the bus stop!! We were at Millers Point, we had a separate pool to the main pool, we were only a short walk to the main building where the restaurants, reception, activities, etc were, and had a bus stop right next to us. I would say a perfect position in the resort. Some people might moan that the buses can be noisy, they didn't bother me for the majority of the time, only once in the fortnight I was woken up by a fairly late bus which obviously let off a disabled person on a scooter or wheelchair as the alarm noise when the ramp goes down woke me. If you think the noise will bother you, don't be right at the end of the blocks like we were, but you might just have a slightly longer walk to the bus stop.

I mentioned there are a lot of bus stops. Every bus going to and from every park stops at every bus stop (or should do! Lol). For most of the fortnight we happened to be the first drop off and last collection (which is brilliant as your journey is shorter) but there is no guarantee it will happen like that, we did have days where it took over half an hour after getting on the bus to actually leave the resort and head to the park. We were also lucky that in January the resort was very quiet and we always had a seat on every bus! IMPORTANT: If you have reservations, leave in plenty of time in case you get caught on a long bus trip!! If you want to get to Downtown Disney, take the boat, it only takes 20 minutes and is lovely!

Bus Tip: for the start of our holiday, the buses to Downtown Disney said "Downtown Disney", for the end of our holiday they said "Internal Resort Shuttle". Watch out for this if you are waiting for a Downtown bus, always ask if in doubt or you could have a VERY long wait!

I think most villa blocks are 2 stories high, some are 3. We were on the top floor of a building with 2 floors. The stairs aren't too bad, if you can manage it, request top floor, the noise from neighbours can be annoying at times, I imagine noise from above would be worse, so at least that stops that!

We didn't use many amenities, we did the Disney Trivia Quiz by the main Sandcastle pool (and came third!!) that was great fun. We nearly hired a boat out too, but changed our mind (but they look fun, so if you can, do it!) all the staff everywhere were very helpful and kind, we never had a problem. Olivia's was a lovely sit down restaurant with great food. Good's Food to Go is a handy quick service place with tables over looking the river, very pleasant. There were also lots of other things to do and try on offer, but as a couple we didn't spend much time at the resort, too busy out and about!

All in all, for me, I loved Old Key West, even though it's big, it feels small and quiet, it feels like a villa holiday, it's brilliant for relaxing after a hectic day at the parks. It has really pretty views, it is surrounded by water and a golf course (any keen golfers reading this? The course looks stunning!!) it also has a lighthouse, perfect holiday snap with palm trees and sunshine!

Finally, I apologise for the slightly random review title, when you get on a WDW bus going to Old Key West, it will make complete sense! :-)

Room Tip: Near a bus stop (saves a potentially long walk) top floor (will reduce noise from neighbours) near to the main building (saves a long walk to the on resort shop, restaurants and other amenities).
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple