We have just returned from our second stay at OKW and we wouldn't really want to stay anywhere else.The resort is a large and sprawling one and is very much like an immaculately maintained gated community that you might find in the rich areas of Key West itself.
Americans who are used to driving rather than walking may feel that some of the building locations involve long distances but any Brits staying here are unlkely to have a problem . We stayed in building 35 which was a comfortable five minute stroll to the main building although if you're staying with young children you might want to request a room nearer to the Hospitality House check in area.
Those not keen on walking will find that most of the buildings are quite near to bus stops which are only a short ride to the front area.
Although there are limited eating opportunities at this resort, the onsite restaurant ,Olivia's, serves tasty food with truly delicious desserts.
We stayed in a top floor studio apartment which had two double beds , tv, microwave, fridge ,safe and small balcony. It was larger than a regular hotel room and perfect for our needs. We were just two adults staying but the studio would easily accomodate three to four.
One word of warning though, the top floors are only accessible by stairs so anyone with moblilty problems would be advised to request a ground floor location as there are no elevators.
OKW is generally much quieter than the other resorts making it ideal for those who want a slightly slower pace. If anyone feels energetic however there is a tennis court and an enormous golf course. You can also hire bicycles to take a ride on and should this prove too much like hard work you can hire a boat and explore the river which connects OKW to Down Town Disney . A free shuttle boat runs between the two from the dock by the Hospitality House approximately every twenty minutes .
There are also four pools around the resort for those wishing to do a little swimming before visiting Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach for water park fun.
During our visit we did see renovation being carried out on several buildings in the resort and also saw more renovation in the Magic Kingom. This was mainly due to the time of year we travelled as they prepare for the main rush later in the year and they did try to keep any inconvenience to a minimum.
We would not hesitate to recommend this resort and are already planning our next visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the romance of the Florida Keys at this tranquil community of Conch Flats-a sprawling island hamlet with shimmering waterways, swaying palm trees and manicured golf-course fairways. Delight in sun-soaked pools, casual dining and such amenities as fully equipped kitchens or kitchenettes. A peaceful tropical paradise, Disney's Old Key West Resort is also just a boat ride away from the excitement of the Downtown Disney area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Travelocity, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Disney's Old Key West Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Disney`s Old Key West Hotel Orlando
- Old Key West Resort
- Disneys Old Key West Hotel
- Disney Old Key West Resort
- Key West Disney
- Disneys Old Key West Resort