Overall, we enjoyed this resort. We are fairly new DVC members. This is only our 2nd stay at a DVC resort, 1st stay at OKW.
I had checked in online and requested a ground floor room since we have a sit and stand stroller and I had heard that there are no elevators at this resort. Once we arrived, check in was quick, we had a ground floor room, #4410, a studio, just what I had ordered. We were actually pretty close to the bus stop. It was nice.
We were just across the parking lot from the Turtle Shack, which is open from 11am to 5pm. Really, how many of us are at the resort during these hours? Sure, maybe those that are swimming. Not us. So, we had to hump it up to Hospitality House, or drive. We were no where even remotely close to Hospitality House. (The distance is not the problem, the Turtle Shack hours are the problem.) Driving was easier.
Lizards are EVERYWHERE! Including inside my Pack and Play! No wonder my 19 month old woke up screaming. I would too! The bathroom. Everywhere. I am waiting for one to come out of our dirty clothes now that we are home. Watch your step outside, really, everywhere.
One morning, while in the kitchenette, we heard a loud thump and bang and something sound like it was sliding down the wall. We noticed the ceiling fan was wobbling. The metal part of the fan blade had broken and the fan blade had flown over my daughter and hit the corner next to her bed. Had she been sitting up it would have hit her smack in the head. I freaked out and called the front desk. I don't know who I was talking to but she was really nice and I pretty much calmed down immediately.
Most of the staff are friendly. Not all. Some were just not interested in helping you have a magical day. Like the Turtle Shack. Apparently, my husband got there about a minute after close. Even though we thought he had made it on time. Trying to refill 3 mugs. They would not do it because they were closed but he convinced them to help him out. They filled a carafe with Root Beer for one, Coke for the next one and, without rinsing, Sprite for me. I got something that looked and tasted like dirty dishwater. I am not too sure why they were not able to fill the mugs. What's the deal with the carafe? Makes no sense to me at all.
The bus situation is a little different. All stops, except for Hospitality House, have U-turns, making the bus ride through the resort extra long. We did not have too much of a problem with this, we were not on many full loads. Some of the U-turns are through the parking lots of these buildings. I am sure glad I was not staying in one of those rooms.
Quick Service at Hospitality House was limited. There are not too many tables out so we mostly took it back to the room to eat. The food was good though. If you could eat it while it was hot. We did the Quick Service Breakfast here one day. We were there about 2 or 3 minutes before it switched to continental breakfast and they told us to not worry about it, we could order breakfast from the menu. They were helpful.
Community Hall was great! They are so friendly.
There is not much storage in the studio.
All of these things are not deal breakers for us. We still liked the resort as a whole.
On our last day we drove to the resort next door, Saratoga Springs, and had breakfast at their Quick Service Restaurant. Very close, takes no time to get there and well worth it for the quality of the Quick Service area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the romance of the Florida Keys at this tranquil community of Conch Flats-a sprawling island hamlet with shimmering waterways, swaying palm trees and manicured golf-course fairways. Delight in sun-soaked pools, casual dining and such amenities as fully equipped kitchens or kitchenettes. A peaceful tropical paradise, Disney's Old Key West Resort is also just a boat ride away from the excitement of the Downtown Disney area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Travelocity, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Disney's Old Key West Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Disney`s Old Key West Hotel Orlando
- Old Key West Resort
- Disneys Old Key West Hotel
- Disney Old Key West Resort
- Key West Disney
- Disneys Old Key West Resort