“Close to Sea World, but Lacking Customer Service”

SpringHill Suites Orlando at SeaWorld
Ranked #44 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two main reasons: great price and proximity to Sea World. The hotel is indeed close to Sea World and runs shuttles throughout the day and evening, dropping you off near the entrance. This was a great benefit. While the price was good, we ran into several issues during our 2-night stay. First, we arrived after midnight. The only front desk clerk was very busy and was having a difficult time managing several tasks at once. When we asked about the "perks" at staying at a Sea World hotel, she said that we'd better get up early and be in line at the concierge desk before 7:00 a.m. so that we would get our passes to get to the front on the line passes for the park. (She said they would run out of the passes.) My husband was down in the lobby at 6:45, alone. Needless to say, we were frustrated after not getting into our room until 1:00 a.m. The second issue we was when we came back from being at Sea World for a full day to a room that had not been cleaned; it was nearly 6:30 p.m. When I called the front desk, the person said she would make a note of it and turn it over to the manager. No apologies; no offering to correct our problem; no word from the manager. The last and final issue came when we were getting ready to check out and got stuck in the elevator for several minutes. When I went to the front desk to let them know the elevator was working, they said the knew and that they called the repair man, but no apology about getting stuck nor putting up an out of order sign on the elevator. As far of the room itself, it was okay. It is a modern décor and arranged in a way that I have not seen before: the toilet is in a separate room from the shower with a closet separating the two. Thought the room was a bit small, but doable.

1  Thank Green24
GeneralManager1176, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Orlando at SeaWorld, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Thank you for your review and for taking the time to provide feedback. Please accept my sincere apology that we let you down during your recent stay at our hotel. We pride ourselves on service excellence and it was disappointing that we did not provide the service that you have come to expect with our brand. I truly appreciate your feedback as it will help our management team continue to improve and strive towards providing great service every stay. Your comments have been shared with our leadership team members so we can look for further opportunity and to address the specific feedback you provided.

If you are ever in our area again, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me directly so that we can be sure to show you what great service we can provide. I hope you will consider giving us another opportunity to serve you in the future here at the Springhill Suites Orlando at SeaWorld.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,343)

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed 5 nights at the Springhill Suites Orlando at Sea World during the week of July 4th. This is a wonderful hotel.
Pros:
Morning breakfast was wonderful. Cereals, sausage, eggs, biscuits, oatmeal and so much more.
The pool was very refreshing and always had plenty of chairs.
The rooms are very spacious and relaxing.
Beds are comfortable
Location is great if going to Sea World or Aquatica.
Staff is very pleasant and always with a helping hand.
Hotel itself is very clean and up to date!
Starbucks in the lobby was GREAT!!!
Parking was free and we always had a space close to our room.
Free WiFi!
Cons:
If I can even think of one...
The buses are great but the times are terrible. If you want to be flexible at SW or Aquatica you need to either take your own car or ride the I Trolley.
All in all my family and I will stay here again if going to SW or Aquatica.
It was a very relaxing and fun vacation!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of SeaWorld.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your recent review of your time at the Springhill Suites Orlando at SeaWorld. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your holiday week with us. We have been working with SeaWorld who provides the complimentary shuttle to ensure the times are flexible and practical for our guests. We appreciate this feedback. Have a wonderful day and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Stayed at this beautifully-decorated Springhill Suites July 1-July 5, four nights, as part of a dance team competition group looking for an affordable rate.

As soon as you walk into the lobby you are welcomed by front desk staff and the check-in process is quick and very informative. The lobby area is amazing, with ample leisure seating (big comfortable sofas, love seats, ottomans, televisions), a good complimentary computer station (fast internet access), mini-market, and even a Starbucks onsite (which I didn't try out but if you bought a beverage from them, they'd advertise a free snack from their bakery).The elevator area is a bit distant from the front desk but with the map and verbal explanation the front desk attendant gave us, we were quickly on our way up to our rooms. We booked on the 6th floor and elevators are quick, only con is that they have no A/C in them so it can get a little muggy if you are going up with a lot of people. On our first day we noticed one of the elevators was not operational but it was quickly repaired and in working order. Since we were on the highest floor (6th), never did we take more than 1:30 minutes to get down to the lobby!

The hallways leading to our rooms are very nicely decorated with earth-tone colors and carpeting, ice machines conveniently located near the elevators, and good A/C running through the hallways (a must in Florida summer weather)! As soon as we inserted our card key through our room's door we were delighted to feel the room temperature cool in our room (sometimes in other hotels I've encountered hot and musty temperatures when first opening the room's door). The rooms at the Springhill Suites are very spacious, a living area with a sofa bed, mini-fridge, coffee-maker, ice bucket, glassware-cups, and several glass shelving on top of the mini-fridge to store snacks and food items.

The beds are very comfortable and even the sofa bed is decent. After a long day of work and theme park visits, it's easy to just lay on anything and fall asleep quickly. It's the morning after when you wake up and feel every nook and cranny of your body ache if the sleeping beds were bad. That's not the case with the beds and sofa bed at the Springhill Suites. You wake up and are ready to tackle the day ahead of you because of the great (and quiet) sleep you get on the hotel's mattresses!

I enjoyed the room's bathroom layout. The toilet and personal sink are located in one separate space from the bathtub and vanity/large sink area. This was convenient because it allowed our family members to be able to use the toilet when the other was taking a shower for example.

The courteous staff and their attention to our every request was fantastic. When we needed additional towels, housekeeping would be at our door within 5 minutes. In fact, one day when we asked for additional bath towels, we received a telephone call from the front desk asking us if we still wanted the towels because their housekeeping attendant was standing outside our door but didn't want to knock because the "DND" (do not disturb) sign was attached to the key card swipe. As is, when I opened the door, there they were, a house-keeping attendant, standing at ease waiting for I to open the door so that he could give me the towels. At any other hotel, either they would of knocked and ignored the DND, left the towels on the hallway floor, or worse, left and never follow up. Daily breakfast was very good with the usual eggs, sausages, breads, cereals, waffles, juices, oatmeals, etc. Word of advice: It gets hectic during the last hour, 8:30 am-9:30 am. Make the extra effort to wake up early, grab a couple of plates, go to your room and go back to sleep. When you wake up, you can always reheat your breakfast in the microwave.

The pool area was very good, a decent pool size with a hot tub, plenty of suntan chairs, and a very good-priced concessions stand. I took advantage of the daily drink specials at $5.00, margaritas one day and frozen diaquiries on the other. The pool area's information is well advertised inside the hotel's elevators.

The location of this hotel is well situated. We came from South Florida and got to the hotel without taking the infamous "I-4/Turnpike exchange from Hell." We were able to get off the Turnpike on Orange Blossom Trail and take the back roads to arrive at the hotel. The location in and around of the hotel is flourishing with development and businesses. If traveling by car, you'll find affordable fuel prices at chains like WaWa and 7-11 gas stations. Even a residential area nearby has brought the likes of a convenient shopping plaza with a Publix, Subway, and several fast-food chains, such as Wendys, KFC, Taco Bell, etc. On the hotel parcel, they've built a CVS pharmacy, TGIF restaurant, Buffalo Wild Wings, and Panera bread company. Situated along International Drive and behind SeaWorld, there will be a lot more restaurants and stores coming along so the area's development looks bright! For those families visiting both Disney parks and Universal Studios, I would recommend this hotel because it's in between both of these theme park resorts. Obviously, its location to SeaWorld, Discovery Cove, and Aquatica make it a no brainer for walking to and from those parks. The I-Drive trolley is available to go north and southbound. Those families wanting to get to Disney without a taxi fare and shuttle hassles, can take the I-Drive trolley all the way south to its last exit, Vineland, walk to Downtown Disney, and take a Disney bus to any theme park.

We were part of a dance team competition and the staff at the hotel allowed us to use their meeting rooms without any charge for rehearsals. I even enjoyed the complimentary lollipops offered at the front desk to its guests. Also, the "Kids' Check-in" book was a nice touch for those kids wanting to be the "Big Grownups" for a change. These customer service skills are what separates Marriott employees from the rest of the pack! It's in the details....

I WILL BE BACK to the Springhill Suites at SeaWorld Orlando, FL!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Cane1Lou305
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My family of 3 recently stayed two night at this hotel. It is very convenience to SeaWorld, and we used their free shuttle and quick queue passes to SeaWorld. There are few restaurants just located within few minutes walking distance and CVS is also located up front. We had breakfast in the morning and it is nicely laid out and with two staff constantly replenished or trash emptied. We didn't use their outdoor pool as it was way overcrowded, we found out the pool is shared by two hotels (SpringHill & Fairfield).
Our room is clean and comfortable and we received quick WiFi. I recommend this hotel for family if you want to visit SeaWorld theme park.

Room Tip: Visit front desk and ask for shuttle bus schedule to SeaWorld.
4  Thank sylui_2000

Thank you so much for your recent review of the SpringHill Suites Orlando at SeaWorld. We appreciate the time you took to share this information. We are so happy that you enjoyed your time with us and we hope to welcome you back in the future. Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We frequently stay at Marriott’s family of hotels and usually are extremely satisfied; however, I found our recent stay at SpringHill Suites to be a bit of a mixed bag.

Positives: 1) Obvious convenience to SeaWorld, Aquatica, and Discovery Cove, including a shuttle and quick queue passes for SeaWorld; 2) reasonably priced with large complementary breakfast buffet, 3) ability to check in early (due to gold status; just a warning another family checking in at the same time had to wait until 3pm); 4) convenience of room service (if needed), and 5) clean rooms/housekeeping staff.

Cons: 1) VERY understaffed (SpringHill and Fairfield Inn are neighbors and seem to share many staff members. For example, it frequently took a long time (if at all) for breakfast items to be replenished or trash emptied), I never saw more than one person at the front desk, and, although they left a daily message to pick up a welcome gift (I believe related to Marriott status), we never received it… despite stopping by twice a day for the 4 nights we stayed here… the individual was always “at the Fairfield Inn” – we weren’t bothered by not receiving the gift, but the daily messages and absentee employee left a bad impression); 2) we also based ourselves from here for a day at Universal, but the shuttle advertised is not convenient, i.e., 10 am departure), 3) the one pool is also shared between properties and EXTREMELY overcrowded, 4) although the hotel is relatively new, the general picture (of the rooms especially) is they have been roughly used by a large number of families.

In sum, the hotel served our needs for our trip, but I don’t know it is up to the same standard that I have come to expect from Marriott.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Virginia412

We would like to thank you for your recent review of your stay. We appreciate all of our elite members and the time you took to share your experience is very appreciated. I am glad to hear all of the positives you experienced during your stay. I would like to apologize for the impression you received that the hotels are understaffed. We have shared your feedback with the leadership team as well as with the Marriott Vacation Club, the staff that offers the welcome gift. We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future. Have a great day!

Reviewed June 26, 2013

stayed in this hotel 4th june - 18th june great hotel great location BUT watch your belongings my neck scarf went missing from my room on the 16th june was in the room in the morning when I went out had gone when I came back. Reported it to reception girl on desk said she would see housekeeping. Left a message on the phone in room to say housekeeping hadn't come across it, that night I spoke to another girl on desk to say that I wasn't happy as I knew that my scarf was in the room so she got me the security guy he took the details down and we never got any feedback. I was leaving the hotel at 3pm and nobody got back to me. I spoke to the girl to asked had he got back to her she said no. I was a bit upset by this as my feeling was THAT NOBODY IN THIS HOTEL REALLY CARED so as I say WATCH YOUR BELONGING

4  Thank bobbyjo007

Thank you for your time and sharing your review of you recent stay. We are happy that the hotel was great and the location worked for you. I would like to apologize for your scarf. I can understand how frustrating it can be to have something go missing. I have sent you a follow up email to you so we can get some more details of your scarf. Thank you again and have a great day.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

The positives: This is a nice, modern facility that seems to serve families mostly. Everything was clean, and the front desk and other staff were friendly. Free breakfast is also a nice plus. The rooms are good-sized suites, and it was pleasant having the extra space with a couch and table to sit and read.

The negatives: These are negatives that I read in other reviews before our trip, but they held true for us, too. The breakfast lines/breakfast area can get a little unruly, quickly; this isn't because the staff were slacking, I'd say, because there was always someone running around cleaning up or replacing empty buffet dishes. There are just SO many children and families that the staff wasn't able to keep up with garbage cans (filled with the styrofoam plates and plastic forks used for breakfast), and the cans mounded up sometimes. It seemed like they could use another person or two for the breakfast shift, because those who were there seemed to be hustling.

The more negative part of the trip was our returning from a theme park around 4:30 and wanting to take a quick nap before going out for dinner. We got to the room and housekeeping hadn't been there yet. Right before we were about to snooze off, housekeeping knocked (at about 4:45pm) and wanted to do the room... so, we basically had to skip the nap if we wanted housekeeping to do their thing (which they do well). I went down the front desk, and a rep told me that housekeeping does have until 5pm to clean. The little guy with glasses at the desk said, "Well, you could use the commet card in the room with any comments, because they go right to the manager! Hey, there's an idea for you!" He punctuated this with pistol-style index fingers pointed at me and a winked eye. I think he was being friendly...

All in all, not a bad place and not a terrible price, but I might try someplace else for the rate.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Daniel P

Thank you so much for sharing your recent review. We appreciate the time you took to share your experience with other travelers. We would like to apologize for the delay you experienced with housekeeping service, this information has been shared with the leadership team. Your feedback helps us improve in the areas that are needed. Thank you and have a great day!