“WA Makes Me Happy ......AGAIN”

Waldorf Astoria Orlando
Ranked #28 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersGold level
Cleveland, Ohio
“WA Makes Me Happy ......AGAIN”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

First, I must say, I've failed to write this review for several months now. My stay was back in February. I just kept making excuses and forgetting. Even though a little late, it's still valid and they deserve the Kudos!

The previous year I stayed at this property for the first time for our 10 year Anniversary and my 43rd birthday. We loved the stay so much, we decided to invite my partner's parents along the following year. (I did review it the first time too)

His parents were arriving a few hour earlier, so I wanted to make the check in process as easy for them as possible and called in ahead to check in. They were very helpful and friendly and provided the In-Laws with a nice room upgrade. (I've been a Diamond Member for 4 years in a row along with Elite level in the Hilton Grand Vacation Club too).....so the upgrade was appreciated, and mentally noted.

Although our first dinner (right after arrival) at the restaurant in the basement of the Hilton was horrific, the rest of the stay was stunning. I really love the way you can spend the whole day within the Waldorf's grounds. Every night we started the evening in the very comfortable lounge/bar area, then went off to dinner either at Bull & Bear (which was outstanding yet again) or over to the Hilton's Italian restaurant (also outstanding). Then we follow up dinner with a nice stroll of the grounds and settle into the comfy chairs in the bar/louge area, with some nice after dinner drinks and conversation. Everything was perfect. Everything is clean, comfortable and not overly loud.
I'm a complete morning person and LOVE my breakfasts, and WA breakfast buffet never fails to thrill me! Even though it can be expensive, I think I indulge in enough smoked salmon to make up for the cost! Such a nice area, with plenty of the morning florida sunshine coming in the windows. Also the coffee is outstanding!
A mention, as well, to our room! My partner and I also got upgraded, which thrills us. We always make sure we hit Diamond every year specifically for this benefit! The room had a balcony, which for me is a necessity, so I can enjoy the warm weather in February (along with my morning coffee). The rooms are very comfortable, cool and inviting. Having the bar area and extra seating/table area is a real joy. The bed is very plush and fantastic to fall into after a long day at Disney and walking around, not to mention a few drinks in the bar. The bathrooms really are roomy with plenty of room to get ready in the morning/evening. Another mention to the products they provide you....my mother-in-law loved the shampoo and still talks about it!
So, all in all, loved the experience, and loved that my partners parent really enjoyed being pampered for a long weekend. Honestly for the price, I much prefer this to any of the more expensive disney properties.

We will be booking my birthday trip again this year in February, for which I am going to spend more time than just 2 nights. Thanks WA, I think this is now going to be my 3rd year in a row, and will more than likely be every year hereforth.

Room Tip: Always try for the back side, as it faces Disney fireworks.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cherzner
Jason S, Manager at Waldorf Astoria Orlando, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Cherner,

We are thrilled to read your review anytime of the year, thank you for taking the time to complete a detail revision of our Waldorf Astoria. Our hotel professionals are ecstatic to read your review, touching all areas of our resort. We are all honored to serve you and wish to see you in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (870)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

We wanted a nice place while my wife and I were visiting Orlando on business. We like the Hilton chain and this Waldorf didn't disappoint for a step up while celebrating.
From the time you walk in the door you are treated very well. The rooms are nice and kept clean.
All the lobby areas, restaurants, etc. were maintained well.
We got a cabana at the pool and enjoyed the care there as well.
They could have used some additional help at the pool earlier in the day but it wasn't bad.
This place is for sure a lot quieter compared to the Hilton next door. I am sure families with smaller children enjoyed the Hilton next door though, with the lazy river, etc.
If you are looking for a hotel above the rest in the Disney area.. The Waldorf is the place to be!

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank onthego2much
Dear onthego2much,

As it is always nice to read reviews from our guests that experience all areas of the resort we thank you for your well rounded review. Please let us know if you need anything in the future.
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

Overall we had a great stay at the Waldorf.
A few weeks before checking in I call the hotel to let them know we would be celebrating our 5 year anniversary and received a complimentary upgrade to a suite. I was very impressed and excited for the upgrade. Upon check-in we received the upgraded room. A couple days into my stay I checked my folio and I was being charged for the upgrade. I called the front desk and told the agent I had not agree to the charge. She told me I was wrong and that I was told at check-in (I double checked my paper work and was not). However, she did quickly waive the fee and all was good.
The second issue was the internet. Being Hilton gold this is a complimentary benefit, but this property charges a resort fee of which the internet is included. The first three days of the my stay the internet did not work even after multiple calls to their help desk (which is an outside call center). I went to the front desk to complain on the third day and she said "oh it's a Hilton issue". If they knew this was an issue why did they make me spend 30 minutes on the phone with the help desk. In the end she did resolve the issue by refunding the resort fee.
House keeping is very hit or miss. The room could have used a deep cleaning. It was very dusty, I found stains in the couch, what looked like milk spilled on the coffee table and random marks on the sheets. Bathroom amenities were not always replenished and I had to call for them to be replaced. Also, they never changed the sheets until I called on the fifth day to have them changed. I could tell they had not been changed by the marks on the sheets.

On the positive side the staff and breakfast buffet at Oscars is really good. The staff had the best service in the hotel.

The pool staff was very slow and rude. The pool was very quite and relaxing. We did not use the Hilton pool but it looked like fun as well.

As I mention earlier we were staying for a 5 year anniversary and I inform the staff twice. No mention was ever made of our special occasion. While it is not something they have to do, it would have been nice. Especially from such a "high end" hotel.

The property is very nice, in a great location and relaxing. It just misses the mark for be a luxury hotel. I would put in the same category as a Hilton, Westin or Marriott. If I find a great rate like I did on my last stay I might stay again. However, I would not pay full price and will look at other hotels next year.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear tlacosse,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a tripadvisor review as your feedback is crucial to the success of our hotel operation. We understand this is not the type of experience you intended to receive and our hotel professionals certainly did not intend this for you. Our Hotel Executive Team would love the opportunity to speak to you in further details. Please feel free to contact myself at Jason.smith@waldorfastoria.com.

Jason Smith
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

I was little bit disappointed at first. After "Waldorf Astoria" in New York, Orlando's hotel looks a little bit different...
But then everything falls on there places.
We stayed in a deluxe suite and enjoyed having the extra room. The view facing Epcot was absolutely stunning and the living room area provided both a relaxing area to unwind and enjoy the view as well as a private and comfortable sofa bed for our son to sleep. The bed in the bedroom was remarkably comfortable and we awoke each morning feeling refreshed.
Love the spa!
The lazy river at the Hilton was great. The food in Oscar's was VERY good.
Definitely coming back!!!!

Room Tip: Higher Floor, Disney view/suite
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear StellaBNY,

Thank you for giving us a chance and we are thrilled you enjoyed your stay. Please let us know if you wish to purchase our signature Waldorf Astoria bed.
miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

The Hotel is on Disney Property but not a Disney Hotel. It has a much more relaxed environment then what you would expect for its proximity to Disney World. I have been to Disney at least 60 times and have stayed almost in every Hotel on Disney Property. This is the only one that didn't feel like one, which is a very good thing. Its called Orlando but, I believe its actually Lake Buena Vista its on the Disney property So, it' s close to the parks and has its own shuttle service if that's want you want to do... there is also a spa and a golf course . The pool was large and clean saw a lot of kids but very little noise. The breakfast was nice at 11:00am be sure to ask for your complimentary Mimosa or Champagne it's included but due to Florida law they can only serve it after !!:00 . All in all what you would expect from a Waldorf Resort even in Disney. I say that b/c of my experience with hotels in this area even the pricey ones usually are of a lower standard where you feel cattle prodded thru the valet parking and the cafeteria style restaurants with your tray in hand. Great Place to stay in comfort and see the Disney Parks or just relax and be pampered.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank trishalg03_9
Dear trishalg03_9,

This was amazing to read your review as you have stayed, dinned and experienced all of the Orlando hotels! This means a lot to our hotel professionals and we wish to see you soon! Please let us know if you need anything.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

This beautifully appointed Hotel is conveniently linked to its less luxuriously set up but eminently more child friendly cousin the Hilton with a conference centre in between.The public areas are superb,Flowers,great extras like the trendy pop up Chocolate Bar and other occassional special events.Spa clean and well set up.Oscars quite the best breakfast buffet in town but priced accordingly with brilliant staff and management.Would that the same could be said for the accommodation which was let down by friendly but poorly managed room staff We were traveling with our grandson aged 5 so booked a suite with a roll down sofa bed in the sitting room.This was never made up at the same time ,turn down service was haphazard,and complaints so badly responded to that we finally gave up.Pools lovely ,fire pits and sofas etc but not as much fun for kids as the slide and lazy river with open air poolside films next door to which they have access.Great Italian Resteraunt at the Hilton too and freecarts in between Good regular shuttle to the Parks.Tiffany at the Waldorf front desk always welcoming and a mine of information.Taxis and Limos priced accordingly more expensively at the upmarket Waldorf than at the Hilton just next door so look out and don't accept the first price offered.A really international and friendly set of fellow guests Overall a good time had by young and old but could have been outstanding with a little more attention to detail but hey it's Orlando and this was a classy oasis of calm.

Room Tip: There are no bad views from this Hotel so not sure the Fireworks are worth the premium Get breakfas...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Akyemman
Dear Akyemman,

Thank you for your kind words about Tiffany, as we are lucky to have her on our team! Also thank you for your feedback regarding our room preparations, this information will be dealt with in the proper manner. We can’t thank you enough for taking the time to share your feedback and our hotel professionals hope to see you soon!
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

Amazing set up, great view on the disney fire works, you really feel like you are in a resort. Great pools. Service could feel a little pretentious but they are efficient, it was an expensive stay, but not at all disappointed. Definitely worth the experience.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear DgreaTrotteur,

Thank you for your WOW review on tripadvisor, as our Hotel Mission statement is to deliver a WOW experience! We do apologize if our service was not as warm as we aim for but thank you for your feedback.