“Excellent stay, but a hard to classify experience”

Waldorf Astoria Orlando
Ranked #29 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I saw a review describing this place as a 'Wanna-be" Mandarin Oriental or W. That's not exactly how I would rate the Waldorf Astoria Orlando but I agree there is definitely something missing, that could otherwise make the experience a true "palace hotel" one. To be honest the hotel is just simply victim of its location : Orlando. The Wanna-Be are actually the customers. There is a degree of "I made it" pretention that somehow ruins the party. The problem is that it spread to the service levels which are a bit "4 star resort like", i.e. nowhere near a NYC or London top class establishment.

Being keen on wine and food, as well as good quality hotel furnishing, I was really impressed by the quality of it all. My steak at the Bull and Bear was out of this world (but don't count on the waiter to explain to you what it is), the wines I tried where outstanding for the price (but again no advice), even the bar food was superb. My bed was of the utmost quality and I slept like a log in the quietest room ever. I would recommend the sport amenities, golfing in particular, where the equipment provided was just of un-heard quality (Brand new Nike set for everyone) and the course a true delight to play around. So Kudos to the designers, the chefs, the housekeeping and the Golf Club, just remember to assess your customers better and take the staff out on a trip to other NYC properties so that they get a feel for what Waldorf Astoria means truly.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Frankieandcharl
WA_Orlando, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property. We greatly appreciate your feedback regarding your most recent stay. Our goal is to be the premier destination in Orlando and we could not do that without our guests' input. We hope to host you as our guest again in the future to truly exceed your expectations.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

A wonderful place for couples to getaway. SPA services are excellent. We recommend the couples massage. If you're a guest of the hotel you receive complimentary access to the SPA services all day and night. The amenities are top notch and offer a relaxing environment.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
WA_Orlando, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Thank you very much for your review! We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your couples getaway! We hope that you will come visit us again soon!

Reviewed May 17, 2013

The hotel was very clean and elegant with a friendly helpful staff. The room was smaller than I anticipated though, and no mini bar. What kind of 5 star hotel doesn't have a mini bar? We had dinner in the peacock lounge which was nice, but the waiter's took a while to take our order. The pool looked enticing, but i can't honestly say how nice it was because it closes @ 10 so I can't swim or have a drink by the pool late night.

• Stayed: May 2013
WA_Orlando, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property. We greatly appreciate your feedback as it is the best way for us to constantly improve our guests' experience. We hope to serve you again soon to truly exceed your expectations.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

When I go to Miami, I like to stay at the Mandarin, when I got to Ft. Lauderdale, I like to stay at the W. this hotel is a wanna-be. An "ALMOST-BUT-NOT-QUITE." No one held the door for us when we came in. I paid extra for breakfast to be included for my three-person family, only to hear that my
son wasn't included in the offer. They gave us the extra breakfast voucher, but made me feel like it was a favor. We went to eat at the Peacock and were ignored for at least 15 minutes. The food was ok, and once the waitress noticed us she served us well; no complaints. I was told upon check-in that the spa was open until 9pm when the receptionist was upselling an additional resort charge to me to be able to utilize this amenity. When I got to my room and called to make an appointment at the spa I was told the spa closed at 8! Where do they do that at???? I was told they would take $20 off of my spa service. I'd rather have better service. I can afford to pay for my spa treatments. Orlando is a renter's market when it comes to hotels. You expect to get a lot of bang for your buck. NOT HERE. I'd prefer my $100 hotel room with the continental breakfast. Obviously I'm upset, I haven't even eaten the breakfast yet and I'm ready to review. Go to the Ritz!

• Stayed: May 2013

We are just as disappointed to hear about your experience and regret that you did not receive the first-class treatment you deserve. Your comments will help us as we make changes to our offerings and services as well as ensure we're staying ahead of our guests' needs.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed at the Waldorf Astoria Orlando for two weeks in April during Spring break. The hotel is situated in the Walt Disney Resort next to the Hilton Bonnet Creek where it shares the conference facilities. When you arrive at the front of the Hotel for the first time, it looks great and the porters etc are all waiting to greet you and take your bags etc, open the doors and give you a welcome with a smile. Check in was fairly straightforward and we got our keys to our room which was a twin Queeen room with a view over the pool. Last time in Florida we stayed at the Parc Soleil Suites so the room felt a bit smaller but was equally lovely. If you're there for two weeks you might feel a little squished with a family and 3 suitcases in a room this size as there is not an abundance of storage - men you might find yourselves living out of your case! It was lovely and hot when we arrived, so we literally dumped our cases and headed straight for the pool, we ended up spending most of the holiday in the adjoining Hilton Bonnet Creek pool as it's better for Children i.e. has a great lazy river and entertainment/movies by the pool. I swam in the Waldorf pool most mornings as it opened at 7.00am and you could have it all to yourself swimming in the most classy of surroundings for half an hour before breakfast.

Breakfast - we were lucky to have this included in the deal we had booked through our tour operator and it was one of the highlights of the stay, all of the staff in Oscars (bar one misunderstanding) were fabulous - the girls that welcome you to the Restaurant, all of the waiters, the chefs on the eggs and omellette stand, all brilliant. There is literally nothing you could want that they don't have, all beautifully displayed and cooked fresh. If you're interested I started each day with three types of melon, honeyed almonds, parma ham (course 1), then grilled bacon, two eggs over easy, mushrooms and maple syrup on the bacon (course 2), maybe a couple of the donuts stuffed with custard (course 3), all washed down with coffee and freshly squeezed OJ. My daughter was well catered for with colouring crayons and pictures every day.

Hotel - in general the staff were great everywhere, we did have a few problems in Peacock Alley where service was slow sometimes, even when it looked empty i.e. we had our daughter being looked after and only had a few hours, we ordered wine and after 20 minutes I went and got it myself from the bar as we were getting annoyed. They have a great selection of wines, the male pianist in the evening is brilliant (particularly enjoyed his version of Forrest Gump!), although the female pianist that played a couple of times tends to do a few too many runs and embelishments I thought on the things she played (maybe hyper critical but I definitely think more is less in this case). Allesandra (we think that was her name) was absolutely wonderful looking after myself and my wife and was on hand at the right time to offer us another drink and brought it out really quickly, we noticed she looked after all the guests really well so a real positive for her, great attitude towards service.

We ate by the pool in the Hilton bonnet creek a number of times, the cocktails, beef sliders (burgers for kids, but enough for adults :)) were lovely and the staff were great. We were very impressed when one of the waitresses remembered our name from a week in to our stay and thought that was impressive so thank you.

La Luce Restaurant in the Hilton Bonnet Creek was absolutely magnificent, we ate their twice - the Pork Chop which is fed and reared like Kobe beef was served medium and it melted in your mouth like a fillet steak. The ambiance, waitress (i think it was Christie who served us) were all perfecet - they really look after you in this place - worth a walk from the Waldorf.

The Kids club was lovely and my daughter was very well looked after by the staff in here, so thank you.

The general appearance of the hotel is immaculate, with marble and grand furnishings everywhere, the Hilton is lovely too but when you walk from one to another you can really tell the difference. Complimentary champagne in reception was a nice touch one day, the chocolate and Champagne bar which pops up in the evening is worth a visit, we got huge glasses of champagne and a lot of chocolate :) for $40 which didn't seem bad.

Didn't use the Golf course as didn't have time what with swimming, the parks and everything else but it looked the business.

Negatives: We had some issues with housekeeping which I complained about and they were rectified, though happened again second week, we did get a credit applied to our account for the inconvenience but I agree on previous posts that for a Hotel of this standard and reputation it could do better in this area. As previously mentioned, service could be a bit slow in Peacock Alley but sometimes if you want a drink you have to get off your backside and get it yourself (even at the Waldorf).

The bus service deserves a mention as they leave regulalrly for all the Disney parks and pick you up, they were brilliant and made life really easy - we didn't even bother hiring a car!

Summary

We indulged for two weeks in a fabulous hotel and were treated like Royalty, that's what you want from a holiday as when you go back home you have to make your own breakfast, make your bed, drive your own car (you get the picture). Strongly recommend if you're looking for luxury in Orlando.

Room Tip: Get a pool view if you can
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Regarded

Wow! Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed review! We greatly appreciate all of your feedback and I am sure our fellow readers do as well. We hope to host you as our guest again soon!

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Wonderful in all respects. Excellent services, great food, soundproof rooms , modern and well kept, fanatastic sleeping , noiseless AC. Staff are extremely courteous, polite and cater to all your needs. Liquor portions fantastic and beyond the norms permitting you the opportunity to fully appreciate..

Room Tip: Beautiful views from atop facing Disney,,,
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you very much for such a wonderful review! We are so appreciative of you sharing your experience! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Loved the use of the facilities all day- pool is beautiful and they have the luxurious towels, the ones you wish you had a home, poolside. The hot stone massage was heavenly, seriously the best I've ever had. Ask for Jessica- the facial was nice too. My manicure and pedicure were just ok. The polish looks streaky and the person who applied it blamed it on the product they carry. However,actually, the 2nd and top coat wasn't even applied all the way to the cuticle. I called and they happily said I could return and they would re-do. A little, inconvenient. but nice given the price of the half day, including tip runs you about $500.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Thank you very much for review our spa! We are so happy you enjoyed your hot stone massage! We hope to host you at our spa again soon!