“Very enjoyable, for the most part...”

Waldorf Astoria Orlando
Ranked #29 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Our family spent 5 nights here for spring break. The best features included: 6 super fast elevators, extremely quiet rooms, a beautiful pool area with access to the Hilton's lazy river and water slide next door, great housekeeping and concierge staff, super clean and well manicured grounds. The only parts of our stay that were the slightest bit negative were: valet-only parking (we kept leaving things in the car and having to call for it to be brought to the door), substandard food from room service, and an unpleasant pedicure experience in the spa.

1  Thank Chaotropic
WA_Orlando, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Thank you very much for reviewing your stay. We were delighted to hear you had such a wonderful time during your stay. We greatly appreciate your feedback as well so we can constantly improve. We hope to host you as our guest again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,550)

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Located very near to all Disney parks with a shuttle although during the Easter holiday the shuttle tended to be overloaded and we generally just used the car service which was reasonably priced and readily available. Pool area is very nice, and the staff are very accommodating. As a Hilton Diamond member I do wish there was a club lounge however. Overall a great stay and would definitely visit again!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for reviewing our property. We are so happy to hear you had such an amazing time during your stay! We cannot wait to see you again soon!

Reviewed April 4, 2013

A 5 stars? Not quite. Potential to be : plenty. Dull, really, outside building...yuck. Really nice, overall, inside. Some inspiring features in the lobby...floors, corridors, rooms...very nice. Staff very friendly and well trained overall (we travel 4 and 5 stars all the time, business and leasure, Europe, Asia, Americas)...BUT: our room (we stayed 7 nights in 610 of good size and good amenities except no kettle and tea bags..and empty minibar) was never cleaned properly. In deed we arrived a Friday night and packet drinks straw wrappers were on the floor in a corner, and stayed there three days before we decided to bin them...bathtub mats were missing after room cleaning, no shower caps, no replacement for Qtips and cotton buds, dirty face towel (fresh.)...
Otherwise, nice pool and area (except we waited 60mn for a hotdog on the Saturday of our arrival after asking three times for it)...great buffet B'fast (except we gave up asking for a small fork after three attempts over two B'fast)...lovely staff everywhere...but needs proper training and training...
Will we go again...likely. It was very enjoyable. Does it match a Shangri La or Mandarin...or even the Singapore Hilton : no way...too many details are annoying, not mentionning to lousy wifi that drops all the time. Even with a 25 USD resort daily charge...oh, beware of the fridge, it is super noisy.

Room Tip: 610 is very good...
2  Thank Steph2310

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us. We greatly appreciate your feedback and sincerely apologize for the challenges you faced during your stay. That is certainly not the service we aim to provide. We hope you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I just read the last review and we must have been there at the same time but clearly stayed in two different hotels. I have stayed at other Waldorf properties and have felt that they weren't up to the name. being from New York I can say that the Waldorf in NY is also just too old however this is not the case in Orlando. I was impressed with everything save one area which I will mention later. First the location to Disney is perfect if you choose not to stay on property. Upon pulling up I was instantly greeted all car doors opened and told to proceed to registration while my bags were unloaded. I was given a ticket to keep for my stay to retrieve my car when needed. I arrived at 12:45 and was booked into a lux suite. The room was ready and it was a nice high floor facing the reserve. The room had partial marble /carpet floors and was great. A great wetbar area with stools and a counter. The bathroom was huge and all marble floors. The tub was relaxing. The bedroom was huge and the bed almost as comfortable as the one at home. The one at home is very comfy. There was a terrace and coffee and the paper in the morning was pleasant out there. Finally housekeeping was right on the ball daily with plenty of towels and a pleasant staff. Turndown service was great as well with the various chocolates left every night. The pool was nice and relaxing. The is a hot tub which is perfect as well as 2 heated pools. It was nice and quiet and we loved it. It was a nice place to unwind after a day at the park. The pool area is however my one sore spot. The restaurant and service at the pool is way too slow. The waitresses work hard but what ever the procedure in the kitchen is it needs to be redone. I ordered lunch one day and it took over a half hour to come. I said something to the waitress and 5 min kater the manager delivered my lunch with an apology and comped my lunch with out me even asking. Now here we are back to the great service in a not great situation but that was the extent of anything bad. Finally when I checked out I thanked the manager during checkout and passed on my good feelings about the week I had just spent there. He simply responded with a thank you and proceeded to comp all my morning coffees for the week and a breakfast charge when we didn't have a free coupon for the buffet. its not much compared to what I spent for the week but its not always about the money as the simple thought and gesture which was just the perfect end to some of the best service I have ever received at a hotel. Once again I guess I stayed at a different hotel then the previous review but def stay at this hotel as u will be glad u did. I will never stay at Disney again. This will be my hotel in Orlando from this point on no questions asked. Go and Enjoy.

Room Tip: High floor sweeping views either direction
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank mhistmajor
WA_Orlando, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property. We are ecstatic to hear you had such an amazing time during your stay! We cannot wait to see you again soon!

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Staff could be more friendly and helpful. Hotel is Beautiful and clean. We went to Magic Kingdom from here. Hotel provided free bus service but it took long time to get back to hotel from Magic Kingdom because bus made other stops on the way back to Hotel. If going to Disney World may be better to staff on site. Beautiful, Clean, Great Beds, Great pools but too bad staff can't be more happy.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
WA_Orlando, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Thank you very much for talking the time to review our property, We greatly appreciate your feedback and sincerely apologize that our Team Member interactions with you did not exceed expectations. We hope to see you again soon to truly exceed your expectations.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Few caveats before the review: (i) I have not stayed at other Orlando properties because this was my first Disney vacation; (ii) it was Spring Break (I know - what was I thinking?!); (iii) if you have seen some of my other reviews (and stay tuned for Four Seasons Punta Mita and The Montage reviews) you know that I have exceptionally high expectations and it may not be fair to impose that expectations on an Orlando property even one carrying the lofty "Waldorf Astoria" name.

Rooms: Property built in 2009 so relatively new and solid (if not stunning) decor. ADVICE: Do not book or pay for the Waldorf Suite - it is touted by the website and reservations agents as the top quality suite (I asked when I booked) but it suffers from significant design flaws. The room is split (literally) into two by a huge kitchen-like structure with bar but has none of the kitchen appliances (decent size fridge) you would expect so it effectively eats up square footage, destroys any flow in the room. In fact that living room area was effectively worthless because of it. In addition, the architects clearly struggled here because they put the extra bathroom in the bedroom - that is right - there are two en suite bathrooms (why? who knows?). When I spoke with the Front Desk and the Assistant Director they both readily acknowledged the issues with this room category but could not "downgrade" me to a luxury suite or below because they were fully committed (by more wise travelers than I presumably). PLEASE do not book this room unless you get some sort of deal - I was clear with the staff that they need to speak with reservations so as not to mislead travelers into booking this room and worst of all paying a premium for it. In addition, be careful with the room safes - they are poor quality and my door would not open when code opened on my second night and head of security had to come to my room with a hammer to (thankfully) open it.

Service: My biggest pet peeve are properties portending to be high end that suffer from inconsistent service across the various departments. This property is a big offender.

Front Desk team is excellent at reciting the Hotel's policies (probably had to memorize them as part of trivia). Example at check-in: Waldorf: "Room is not ready yet." Me: "When do you estimate room will be ready?" Waldorf: "Check-in is at 4pm". Me: "Please call housekeeping to try to get an idea." Waldorf (after calling someone): "Housekeeping will not tell me when the room will be ready." I generally found the Front Desk to be polite to a tee and wholly unhelpful.

Bar/Restaurant/Pool staff were generally well trained and helpful, if not speedy (but that is fine - it was Spring Break). But inconsistencies abound so be careful to understand where in the hotel you can and cannot eat certain menu items. My wife and I after many princess dinners at Disney wanted to do a casual yet "adult-like" meal at the bar on Friday night. Bartender said menu was very limited because they wanted to encourage hotel guests to eat at the buffet downstairs in the Oscar's restaurant. While I understand business is business I am not a buffet fan for dinner so I asked the concierge for some advice - she immediately told me I could order off the in-room dining menu in the bar which was a helpful answer. When we sat down we told the server what we intended to do and asked for the menu. He obliged gladly and took our order. After enjoying our cocktails our server came to our table 30 minutes later inquiring whether the manager had explained that we could not eat what we ordered in the bar but that we could move to the Bull and the Bear restaurant to eat. I looked at him quizzically, his manager then came over and after a direct conversation which led to the manger admitting that the chef (who "he has had many issues with before") was behind the refusal to serve us in the Bar we got our food. The entire exchange and nonsense was so avoidable, clearly a reflection of inconsistent service and was not appreciated after a long day at Disney.

Proximity to Disney: Property is close enough for sure and not being on the monorail did not bother us. We took cars every morning to the parks and cabs home. Sure others have done the shuttles but we did never seemed to make it work with the times. One morning there were no cars but they called one for us and wasn't end of the world. Bell staff was helpful and hustled.

So net net property is average for my standards but may be very above average for the area but again I admit I can only compare properties based on my personal standards and hopefully this review will be helpful. I do wonder however how this property fares when the new Four Seasons opens in early 2014 - should be very interesting.

4  Thank HVARAH

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your detailed input and we hope it is helpful to our future guests researching our property. We would love to have you stay with us again the next time you are in the area and look forward to hearing how we are doing at that time.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

We booked in at this hotel after hearing that it was easy access to WDW. For some reason I was expecting a run of the mill Orlando hotel. This expectation was so beautifully exceeded by the WA Orlando. First of all, the lobby smells like heaven. I would literally look forward to returning to the hotel because I knew I would be greeted by their signature scent. Sounds trivial but I have to say it really lent to a pleasant hotel experience. The staff are consummate professionals and are well seasoned in making their guests feel welcomed. We stayed in a one bedroom suite which was beautifully appointed. The TV selections were vast which was nice given that we had a sickly shorty on our hands during the stay. The pool area is pristine and guests are even given access to the lazy river next door at the Hilton (BYO inner tube). I could go on and on about how much we enjoyed staying at the Waldorf Astoria. If i were to point out any shortcomings, I would have to say that it was odd the one bedroom suite which offered a fridge and a wet bar was not kitted out with any wares other than coffee cups. Also, housekeeping did not replenish our amenities. However, given the rest of our stay was delightful, we were happy to forgive these minor pitfalls.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Antamy
WA_Orlando, Guest Relations Manager at Waldorf Astoria Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are so happy we were able to make your stay a memorable one! We cannot wait to see you again soon!