“Poor service before I even got there”

Waldorf Astoria Orlando
Ranked #29 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I never have written a review about a hotel that I didn't stay at yet but customer service is extremely important to me when I'm searching for hotels. I'm a gold HHonors members and was navigating through the site and found it confusing with the many different rates that are offered. I called the location and spoke with someone in reservations and she was very rude. I'm trying to ask her a question about the different rates and mentioned that I'm a HHonors member and she cut me off to tell me that it doesn't mean anything to them. How dumb are you to say that? It means a lot to you as myself and other customers can stay at the Ritz or JW Marriott instead of Hilton. Immediately, I corrected her and said it does matter as I was thinking about using my points to pay for the room. She says in a condescending voice, oh well that's different. By that time, I was already disgusted with her attitude.

I've stayed at other Waldorf Astoria's and had a great time and stellar customer service so I was shocked to get that type of reaction over the phone. I'm definitely not staying here and would recommend the manager that replies to guest on here require some form of professional development for the night reservations employee.

Room Tip: Don't call the reservations department in the evening.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
14  Thank Nicky M
WA_Orlando, Front Office Manager at Waldorf Astoria Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with a team member at our hotel. One of the cornerstones of the Waldorf Astoria experience brand-wide is unparalleled service and I assure you that the problems you mentioned regarding the level of service you received have been addressed accordingly. We appreciate you alerting us to this issue, and we understand that the makings of a great stay start with the booking process and again we apologize. I hope you will give our hotel a chance if you do visit the area.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,551)

Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed here for the first week of our honeymoon. The hotel was lovely, nice break from the busy Disney we did during the days! The suite we had was a nice size, clean and luxury. It was very quiet and comfortable. Gym was good and the pool is a nice size and wasn't very busy. Drinks are fairly expensive but that tends to be the norm in a nice hotel, we had valet parking which was good and prompt.

Would definitely stay again, it had a nice adult luxury feel and the staff were helpful and friendly. A lovely honeymoon, thank you.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cher15-2007
WA_Orlando, Front Office Manager at Waldorf Astoria Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

Thank you very much for reviewing your stay with us! We are thrilled that we were able to make your Honeymoon special. Please come back and see us again next year for your anniversary!

Reviewed September 28, 2012

My husband and I wanted to go away for his 43 rd birthday so we selected one of our favorite places to visit, mickey's back yard. From the minute you pull up to the drive way you feel pampered, greeted by a very polished, well mannered and friendly doorman name Hector the experience began. Front desk staff welcomed us with a
chilled glass of champagne (which i guess they do every Friday in season) and the bellman was ready and waiting with our luggage to escort us to ou very beautiful suite, with a spectacular view of pool an grounds.

We relaxed by the pool and ordered some specialty cocktails they offer which by the way if you go you have to try! And watched as an amazing wedding was taking place on the golf course.

We enjoyed watching the fire works from our suite but the highlight of our evening was dinner at Bull And Bear! WOW
The ambiance, food and service is like no where else in Orlando. If you go the tasting menu is a food lover's delight. Manny and his team made my husband's birthday very special.

To the entire staff at our new home away from home, THANK YOU!!!

Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank christados
WA_Orlando, Front Office Manager at Waldorf Astoria Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

Thank you very much for reviewing your stay with us! We are thrilled that you were able to enjoy so many of our amenities while on property. We would be honored to host you as our guest again in the future!.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

This Hotel is gorgeous, the rooms are sparkling clean but it all feels a little bit too hospital like. Why? Well, its like there is really no comfy hominess or quaintness to the hotel. The lobby halls are like a cold marble that seem a little empty. The guest halls are carpeted and filled with pretty paintings however. And the Bathrooms are huge with a spacious beautiful tub and a separate spacious beautiful shower. The Beds were so very comfy!! Next door there is the Hilton Orlando that has an incredible lazy river type pool and cabana type eatery the Waldorf has a shuttle that will take you to the Hilton for free any time you want to go. (The shuttle is really a big comfy Golf Cart that the valet drives you in whenever you ask) . The food prices seemed a little high at the Bull & Bear Steakhouse, so we ate elsewhere. Overall the Hotel is a 4 out of 5 stars. If the prices were a little more reasonable and the hotel not so cold feeling (not temp cold), then I would have given it a 5.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Christ0pher1962

Thank you very much for reviewing our property. We strive on daily basis to be the premier Luxury destination in Orlando and we could not do that without our guests' feedback. Thank you very much for your feedback and it will be shared with our management team. We hope to host you as our guest in the future.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

My family and I had the opportunity to visit this amazing hotel for the first time a few weeks ago and it was incredible. From the moment we walked in, we were treated like royalty but we also felt like we were at home. The staff was very accommodating and friendly. We were celebrating my birthday - but the Waldorf is definitely a place to go to celebrate everyday! When was the last time you celebrated the little things? It's something I think we would all do more often. Our room was breathtaking - to be able to watch the Disney Fireworks from our balcony was the perfect ending to each night. My son said "the pillows are so soft, they melt when you lay on them!" I think that was very well said. The food from room service and the many restaurants were great - they even had something for the kids everywhere we went. Every detail was thought of, it was truly an experience I hope to have again...SOON.

Room Tip: We liked having a room that was alittle higher so that the views of the fireworks were even better!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Tracy S

Thank you very much for reviewing you stay with us! We are so glad that you enjoyed our views of the Disney fireworks to end each of your days. We hope you will come and celebrate with us again soon!

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed for 8 nights with husband and 21 month-old son. My rating is "average" given the price ... I would rate it higher if the price was lower.
Positives - 2 excellent meals at Bull and Bear, great cocktail lounge (Peacock) atmosphere in the evening, FANTASTIC health club (and I use all hotel health clubs so I have a lot to compare it to), generally very warm and expedient service. Suite was spacious and furnishings in good condition. Being so close to the Hilton also opens up lots of possibilities.
On the downside, the crib mattress was horrible ... some crinkly thing that made a ton of noise every time my son moved. Maid service was spotty at best ... sometimes they missed the morning service, they would not clear dirty glasses, and they never once changed the sheet on my son's crib in 8 days. No minibar in the room. And I am a bit of a coffee fanatic ... the coffee maker in the room is terrible and the to-go cups from Oscar's were cold more often than not. I was willing to bear the inconvenience of "off-Disney" property as a trade-off for luxury but next time I will just stay on Disney.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank AAW7

Thank you very much for reviewing your stay with us. We greatly appreciate your feedback and we were troubled to hear of the challenges you faced during your stay. Your feedback has been shared with our management staff and we will be investigating how to ensure these challenges do not occur again. We hope you allow us to alter your perception of our property in the future.

Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

I was skeptical at first when I found out the Waldorf was built in Orlando because I've stayed at the NY Waldorf. Needless to say that one definitely shows it's age.
The Waldorf Orlando is so nice, extremely hospitable staff, great food and awesome location (right down the street from Downtown Disney).
While I'm usually a huge fan of buffet breakfasts their buffet is amazing. Very fresh and an amazing amount of choices.
The only gripe I have, and it's a small one is how disappointed I am in their in room toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, lotion). A) the bottles are WAY too small and B) the quality isn't the best. I'd much rather them offer something that is a tried and true brand...Aveda? Bliss? even Dove would be better. Not sure a fashion house such as Ferragamo has much, if any knowledge of skin and hair care.
Otherwise, I would highly recommend the hotel. My family and I go there for "staycations" all the time.
So glad it's here in Orlando!!

• Stayed: September 2012

Thank you very much for reviewing our property. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and our amenities so much! We hope to see you again in the future!