“Lovely hotel, clean, good service. Hilton might be better for children.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Waldorf Astoria Orlando

Waldorf Astoria Orlando
Ranked #28 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Fareham, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel, clean, good service. Hilton might be better for children.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

This is a stylish, classy hotel. Quality finishes, helpful staff. Nice pool area.

Four of us (two adults & two children) shared the room.Our bedroom had two double beds, TV, room safe, and a pleasant bathroom. There was a bath tub and separate shower. There were plenty of towels for all four of us & they were regularly changed. The bedroom was cleaned daily and in the evening the beds were "turned down" (bizarrely they turned all the pillows sideways, so you have to rearrange them to sleep!) and the TV was left playing jazz music. Most of the time the room was kept clean and bedding was changed regularly. Over the weekend, our room still hadn't been cleaned by 430pm and the glasses hadn't been washed for 2 days, so we mentioned it at reception and it was sorted out. We had a nice view of the swimming pools and the Disney fireworks in the distance. All in all a very pleasant room. One evening the hotel provided a lovely platter of cupcakes with "Happy Birthday" iced on the plate as a treat for my son who celebrated his birthday whilst we were there. This was a lovely touch- much appreciated.

Noticably lacking from the room was a fridge, so we struggled to chill bottles of water in the ice bucket for a few days. Eventually we enquired about fridges at the reception, and one was provided free of charge. I'd recommend you request a fridge when you arrive. At this price, the Waldorf should provide fridges in every guest room.

Valet car parking costs $20 per day, plus you are expected to tip the valet every time he moves your car, so this can be a costly way to park your car. We asked to park our car at the nearby Hilton multistorey carpark- at a cost of $13 daily. You simply use you room card to open the barrier. It is only a short walk between the two hotels. Once again the reception staff will not offer you this cheaper alternative, but it is worth asking. we saved approx $100 in parking charges over a fortnight stay.

The Waldorf has a pleasant tranquil pool area with staff who sometimes put towels down for you- & on other days totally ignore you. A bit inconsistent. There are nice floating sunloungers to use in the pool. However, We tended to use the Hilton pool complex most as it was more geared up to familes with children. There are a couple of pool areas linked by a lazy river & a slide. To use the inflatable rings you have to pay $5 per day, but lots of people seemed to bring their own to use. You collect towels from a cabin and there are fewer staff here - which I actually preferred.
The Hilton pool is open until midnight.

We didn't eat at the Waldorf at all. We ate at local restaurants instead to keep the cost down.

A grumble about the hotel would have to be the fact that they only provide free internet in the hotel lobby area, instead of the bedrooms. You can have internet in your room at a substantial cost. Most hotels in the Orlando area (even cheap motels) offer free WIFI & it seems ridiculous that the Waldorf do not include this.

Location-wise, the Wadorf is close to the Disney theme parks, but a fair drive from Universal/Sea World etc. The hotel provides a complimentary coach service to the Disney parks. It takes about an hour to get to Epcot by the time you have ridden between all the theme parks, but they play Disney movies in the coach so our children actually enjoyed this journey. It saves you $14 parking at the Disney parks.

To summarise, the hotel was clean & stylish. The staff were accomodating when you asked something of them, but not forthcoming with things like offering a fridge/cheaper carparking etc. We enjoyed our stay, but I think I'd prefer to stay at the more family friendly Hilton in future.

Room Tip: Ask for a fridge.
2 Thank Stubbyfolks
Thank you very much for your detailed review of our property and your stay. We love to receive feedback so that we may get better and be the premier destination in Orlando. We hope that though our sister property, The Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek is a fantastic option, we get to host you as our guest again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (860)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed for three nights on a trip to Disneyworld. I'm kind of a germophobe and never quite feel comfortable in hotel rooms. At this one, I took a bath in their tub! Everything is spotless without smelling like cleaning products, and the grounds are beautiful. We loved being able to see the fireworks from our room, and the (outdoor) pool/hot tub area is gorgeous. The beds are comfortable and the linens/towels don't have that bleach smell. There are multiple restaurants on site, but sadly we didn't have time to sample them. The hotel has a shuttle that goes to the Disneyland theme parks as well to downtown Orlando. The staff are really attentive - we felt like they cared about making our stay enjoyable.

The only minor complaints I had were the lack of amenities - e.g., coffee maker/microwave/fridge in our room, and the fact that internet was not complimentary (9.95 for 1 day and 19.95 for three).

Overall we really loved our stay here and were sad to leave!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Sarasota, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

Sat we had tickets to a play and arrived at 5pm to check in, get settled, shower and go to the play. Upon arrival I was told our rooms were not ready and it would be at least an hour, maybe more. Needless to say after a day of travel, we were disappointed. Had to change clothes in the spa and head out. They acted like this was no big deal.

We usually stay at the Ritz in Grand Lakes and I will say this, it is not the Ritz. They would have done just about anything to insure there was a room prepared immediately. Waldorf did nothing about the trouble afterwards either. We had a fruit basket delivered to the room to surprise someone when we arrived and that too was ruined.

On the other hand, Oscars was very good for breakfast and the waiter JOEY was superb. Very professional and the food was GREAT/ Lots of choices and the staff all friendly. The spa too was excellent. Although you have more flexability with the Amex Fine Hotels program at the Ritz...Nice hotel but the Ritz staff would have never allowed this to go un noticed. They know customer service and as long as all goes well, the Waldorf is ok but don't expect the attention to detail like you do at the Ritz.

Room Tip: 5 o'clock should not have been early to have a room ready. Check to be sure the room you choose...
2 Thank ArtieSRQ
We are troubled to hear about your challenges during your arrival. We do our very best to provide a room for every guest that is ready at the time of arrival and sincerely apologize that we were unable to deliver this during your stay. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future.
Napa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

We just returned from this hotel after spending one night at the Waldorf and four nights at the Hilton next door. The check in at Waldorf was exceptional in that the receptionist walked us to our room and acquainted us with the services and facility - something I have not seen elsewhere. The room was large with a large bathroom and separate shower and tub. We had the Disney view 2 queens which had a nice view of pool and golf course and very distant view of parts of Disneyworld. No fridge that I could find at the Waldorf. My daughter announced the pool at the Waldorf looked boring compared to the Hilton so we spent our time at the Hilton . My wife really enjoyed the spa package at the Waldorf. They even gave us a late checkout and we appreciated it as it was somewhat complicated to pack up and move next door to the Hilton during the middle of the day. I believe I would stay at the Hilton again in the future because it seems better suited to families and the Waldorf better suited to those without children. There was a definite international flair at both properties with many interesting accents among the guests. The Waldorf offered more personalized service though and accordingly the room rate is higher.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Napa_neighbor
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

They were awesome with food allergies and we really enjoyed it! We went to Disney!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank BUZZY666
Toronto, Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

The suite that my family stayed in was beautiful - no complaints on the room or room size. However, service was consistent..... in how poor it was. Notwithstanding our arriving to check in at 4:30 we were ultimately given our room at six. Simply no excuse for that. Prior to heading to dinner I asked that the sofa bed be made for our daughter. It was not done. Nor was it done in my brother's room-he had made the same request. It took three calls to have a toiletry kit brought to the room. The plastic bag requested from housekeeping never came. There were other examples.

I find it remarkable that a hotel chain that wishes to hold itself to a high standard can be this poor in execution. I was embarrassed for them. This was my first exposure to a Waldorf Astoria. Likely will be my only visit.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Canadian-Beagle
We are disappointed that our service did not match the service standards we pride ourselves on. We hope that sometime in the future, you will give the Waldorf Astoria brand another chance to serve you and to exceed your expectations.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

We stayed at the WA from the 6th – 15th June 2012. The hotel itself is quite comfortable, but we were disappointed with the service. We encountered the following problems;
1. We have 2 young children so we requested a Suite with 2 queen beds. On arrival (6pm) the receptionist asked me if I would like a Suite with a double bed and a view of the Disney fireworks. I wasn’t sure and requested more info about the room (room plan to confirm size of the room). The receptionist seemed to be annoyed at me for not jumping at the chance of seeing fireworks every night (my kids go to bed at 7.30, pointless for us) and confirmed quite abruptly that he was upgrading me for free. I confirmed that I would like to keep our original reservation at which point he confirmed that the suite was not ready and would be another 2/3 hours! I don’t understand why the room wasn’t ready at 6pm and why the receptionist wasn’t honest in the first place! In the end we took the ‘free upgrade’ as I couldn’t wait 2/3 hours with the kids after a 10 hr flight!
2. The pool is lovely - very well kept and elegant. The service, however, is terrible. There were a few showers the second day but guests were poolside. At no point did any waiter/waitress appear to offer menus/towels. When we went to the hotel restaurant to order food we were told that we could have takeaway and take the food to the pool. I didn’t mind doing this but the point of staying at a 5 star is to enjoy the service. This went on for a few days until the weather picked up – even then the service was a shambles. Waiters/Waitresses just stroll past the pool talking to each other with little interest in the guests.
3. Oscars! Again, the breakfast was really good, but the service was the worst I have ever experienced. The first morning, we went down to breakfast and the hostess was standing behind her desk (her name was Monica). We walked to the desk, stood there and she completely ignored us until I said ‘Good morning’. Even then, she didn’t bother looking up, she continued to look at her computer screen and gave a half hearted ‘Good morning’. Every time was saw this particular hostess, she made it a point to glare at my kids – other diners were lovely and would comment on how well behaved the kids were. Other problems included; tea taking 10 mins to arrive, when it finally arrives – no milk and cups missing off the table. Staff talking to each other constantly….the chefs were really nice, made such an effort with all the guests, but the serving staff let the side down!
4. Room Service & General Housekeeping. On the first day, our room wasn’t serviced until 4 pm (after I called reception). Also, trays of food (from room service) were left in the corridor (overnight on a few occasions).
The Hilton next door is a sister hotel of the WA and the two are co-joined. Guests at both hotels can use the others facilities (pools etc). I didn’t like the fact that guests that are paying less to stay at the Hilton could use the WA pool when I’m paying more for the same facilities. Another minor issue was Wi-Fi. We paid for this service at the WA but it’s free in the Hilton.

I chose to stay at this hotel because I wanted good service and facilities. While the facilities are good, the service needs to be improved. I hear there is a Four Seasons opening next year – maybe the competition will encourage the management to sort out the service issues.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank sonja p
WA_Orlando, Front Office Manager at Waldorf Astoria Orlando, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
We are very saddened to hear that your stay did not live up to the level of service we are known for. Our Management team takes these reviews very seriously and we will definitely learn from your feedback. Hopefully you can give us another opportunity to deliver the proper service standards.