“Started Badly Ended Nicely” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Waldorf Astoria Orlando

Waldorf Astoria Orlando
Ranked #28 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
scottsdale, az
“Started Badly Ended Nicely”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2012

We chose to stay at the Waldorf for the second half of our Spring Break trip to Orlando (March 7 thru 11th) primarily because of the platinum perks we get from American Express Fine Resorts and Hotels program. We chose this hotel because we wanted a quieter, less chaotic environment sans Disney sensory overload. We chose right.

Let me start with the positive...
The hotel is beautiful. In true Waldorf fashion, the staff was impeccably poised and charming. We were upgraded from standard room to a one bedroom king suite which was a nice treat and the room was absolutely beautiful. I can't say enough about the room, it was luxurious and spacious we loved it! The bathroom alone was the size of a standard room! The breakfast buffet at Oscars, lunch at Aquamarine and late night room service was great. Attention to detail and excellent customer service is top notch.

And now the not so positive...
Our one and only bad experience was upon check-in with GABE the desk clerk who so willingly offered us our room upgrade to a suite on the 11th floor but made us wait (unnecessarily) for 2 1/2 hours for the room. Without too much whining on my part, he lied about the room being ready in an hour, he continued to lie for 2 1/2 hours, then after all that wait, he finally advised us that the room would be done in 5 minutes. 20 minutes later no Gabe and no room so we asked went to the front desk to ask Gabe and, what a surprise, Gabe had left for the day. The uber snobby night clerk who was now "helping" us had no idea that we've been waiting for a room. The nasty, brainless twit had no clue what we were talking about ("what suite on the 11th floor? Oh that's not ready, you can't have it" she snipped). After explaining all that had happene d and a phone call to Gabe, she begrudgingly offered us another suite on the 7th floor and ever so nicely (sarcasm here again) said, "take this one instead, it's not a big deal". Well, yes it was a big deal for us since we had to sit in the lounge (did I mention for 2 1/2 hours?) with 2 anxious little girls who were dying to go to Disneyworld and we were being told over and over again by Gabe that our room was almost ready and it was a complete lie. Ok, rant over but on a good note. We did talk to the very nice concierge the next day and mentioned what happened and without hesitation he apologized and comped us our first night's stay.

Tip: The buses to and from the Disney resorts are well run and easy to use. The downside is, it can take up to 40 minutes to get to some of the Disney parks because of the bus stops in between so we chose to take a taxi to go into the Disney parks each day and took the Waldorf/Hilton bus back to the hotel each night. The bus ride back to the hotel only takes about 20 minutes.

Overall: Our stay at the Waldorf was exceptional and restful. It was well worth the initial headache. We would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: We stayed at room 730 (1 bedroom suite). Great view of the golf course.

4 Thank aznycmama

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (860)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Fort Myers, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

I am the General Manager for another Hilton brand and I travel frequently, so I literally eat, sleep and breathe hotels.... Waldorf Orlando does it right! The staff was super friendly and so helpful. The room was beautiful and spotlessly clean! The bed was like sleeping on a cloud, it was the best night's sleep I'd had in a long time. Turn down service was delightful, the in-room espresso was yummy... I can't think of one thing that was disappointing, everything exceeded my expectations. We primarily visited Disney World, and the location was actually better than some of the Disney Hotels we've stayed at in the past. My husband and I enjoyed our trip so much, we booked the Waldorf in Key West - I only hope they can measure up to this property! I noticed when I went to write this review that they received a Trip Advisor Travelers Choice Award - They absolutely deserve it! Well done - I can't wait to come back!

Key Biscayne, florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

The facility is 1st Class and the employees are "ambassadors" !!
Location is great !! Very close to Disney World.
The Golf Course is in pristine condition and green fees are really low if you are a guest.
If you have young kids, like I do, you can use the "lazy River" and swimming pool of the Hilton Bonnet Creek that is just a 4 minute walk.
We also tried the "La Luce" Italian Restaurant at the Hilton and it was great food !.
Overall a great experience at a reasonable price.
I would go back next time !!

1 Thank Marianotg
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

I stayed two nights at the Waldorf a few days ago (early March). I wanted to check out Harry Potter Land, but didn't like the hotel options closer to Universal. I figured the larger hotels, all on the Disney or Universal properties would be very family oriented. I heard that the Waldorf was just a tiny bit smaller, so I chose to stay there. I'm so glad I did. The grounds are beautiful, the hotel itself clean and spacious, and staff was top notch. I had a horrendous night's sleep the previous day in Miami, so I was worried about thickness of walls. That was not an issue at all at the Waldorf. The rooms were clean, and again, the service impeccable. Our bell boy happily provided us with restaurant recommendations and tips. I like that they anticipate our needs and go the extra mile. We also attended a lovely wine pairing dinner at the Bull & Bear. It was fantastic.

1 Thank keyser_soosie
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

It has been years since my stay at the Waldorf Astoria Towers NYC but I remember it well and am happy to find that the hotel at Bonnet Creek is holding up the WA reputation for accomodations and attentive service. The friendly and competent service continued from arrival to departure. The Bull and Bear and Oscars restaurants were excellent as was La Luce at the adjacent Hilton. We enjoyed the pool area with its own restaurant and although we did not play in the rain we visited the Golf Club lounge and shop which is very nice.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

my 6 year old daughter said... Exquisite taste in everything.
Decorations, room, service... All excellent.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank OnTheRedEye
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

After years of staying at the Grand Floridian inside the park we decided to try a slightly more economical approach to our family vacation at Disney World. This is a nice but very large hotel with a corporate feel. It is very modern but both my husband and I felt the scale of the public areas was a bit massive. The good: Breakfast buffet at Oscars definitely met our expectations. Service was ALWAYS friendly with some staff seeming to know what they were doing and others needing a bit of direction. Food was great! Pool service was nice and pool area, in keeping with the hotel, is sprawling. This was fun for our children. Door/valet staff very polite and punctual each time we requested our car. The not-so-good: Hallways were messy with leftover glasses and room service that never seemed to be cleared. Also, the night we had dinner at the hotel (we ate at the bar because we did not want fine dining at Bull and Bear and there were no other options) the food was horrible. I read prior to booking that this was not a very kid-friendly hotel. To a certain extent I think this is true, however we saw more children during our stay than we expected. Perhaps this is due to the time of year. Either way, we felt our children were mostly well-received. The lazy river and slide at the Hilton next door were always there if we wanted a louder atmosphere! Overall, this is a nice property and I would stay here again, but as a family we definitely prefer the Grand Floridian.

• 3 of 5 bubbles