“Good modern mexican food, with a more upscale feel”
Review of Paxia - CLOSED

Paxia
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 9, 2011

I have eaten at Paxia two times now and I was not disappointed either time. I think the food is great and I can’t wait to return.

They consider the food modern Mexican. I wasn’t sure what to expect at first, but based on my experience, they have a lot of the classics like tacos and burritos, but everything has an upscale twist to it. They also offer house specialties and items like cactus salad that you would find in Mexico but not in most US Mexican restaurants.

Paxia offers a lot of different types of tequila and margaritas, and even has a bar area if you do not want to come for dinner. The atmosphere is very relaxing with orange and blue colors on the wall. I was surprised when I found orange walls relaxing, but there are simple decorations that give the restaurant a clean feeling.

On both experiences, the wait staff was polite and professional. The food arrived quickly and drinks were always full.

Reviewed October 21, 2011

We are residence of College Park and support the local venues on Edgewater Drive. We have been to Paxia on several occasions to try to give them the benefit of doubt. The management and service was again terrible. We would like to recommend this restaurant, but after the latest experience I'm sorry to say don't go.

Reviewed September 18, 2011

The food is the feature of this restaurant. The ambiance is fair at best, even though it is clear that they tried to make it look nice.

The queso is authentic and is made with real cheese... basically its the furthest from Taco Bell that you can find.

The steak taco's are amazing, as is the esquite (sp), the potatoes and the sea bass.

You almost cannot go wrong. I go here about once a month and love it.

Reviewed March 18, 2011

The decor, music and overall atmoshpere is inviting as is Mike the bartender. Unfortunately, the food did not meet expectations given the price point. The bar offers a nice variety but the limes served with our drinks were dry and pulpless. We started with chips and guac which was fresh but nothing memorable. The bartender recommended we try the tacos next. The presentation was fine but the tacos were soggy and flavorless unless drenched in one of the hot sauces. One of the owners asked how our meal was and we decided to go the honest route. After we desccribed our disappointment, he became defensive. For example, if we thought the limes were dry we needed to understand he has no control over his supplier. When my wife suggested that the quality did not match the price, he responded that the local food critic thought otherwise. Not what you would expect from an experienced restauanteur. Much better choices for Mexican cuisine in Orlando; suggest Cantina Laredo on Sand Lake road for higher end or PR's Taco palace in Winter Park for moderately priced Tex Mex.

Reviewed January 22, 2011

Arrived at Paxia's on Saturday 01/22/11 at about 12:30. I had heard mixed reviews and wanted to try the food. Surprisingly the place was empty when I arrived. (Not slow, it was empty) The server/hostess showed up within minutes ... So far I was not impressed, although the atmosphere was very nice inside. When the waitress returned to take our order she pointed out that the lunch menu was only for M - F. I thought this is odd, it did not appear they needed any price hikes to help relieve a busy weekend business. I ordered the Tortilla Soup. I do have to say it was very tasty. After looking over the rest of the menu I decided I was not interested in spending 40 - 50 dollars on lunch and we left. I think that I was really put aside that they were empty and had no specials. The menu prices I saw were between 12 and 18 dollars with the majority falling in the 16 dollar range. Add soup and a drink for two people and you are at 50 dollars. If they feel their lunch menu is to cumbersome for the weekend perhaps they should try some lunch specials. This is my take and I will not return for lunch on the weekend. This is too bad, becuase that is the only time we get to enjoy lunch together.