“Quite a Surprise !”

Orlando Museum of Art
Ranked #134 of 424 things to do in Orlando
More attraction details
Owner description: This recently renovated museum displays a fine rotating collection of American, pre-Colombian and African art.
Hudson, FL
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 193 helpful votes
“Quite a Surprise !”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I viewed this stop on our way to Cocoa Beach from our home on western side of Florida as something to do before check in time at the resort. It turned out to be quite a good use of a few hours last Saturday afternoon.

The glass sculpture collection was really fantastic. I sure wished I could have taken pictures there. Of course I had seen some of Chihuly's work in magazines and on tv but viewing it in person was the best. Other artists had intriguing works there, too. I particularly liked the red glass shards dog.

We also viewed the landscape exhibit and were pleasantly surprised to see a few works by artists and students of the Hudson River School. I'll keep watching for other exhibits that may be coming along to the OMA.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Barbara V

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Makes Other Museums Look Like Trash”
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

So much to see! Spent 5 hours there. Just so amazing! Every art piece looked like it came from heaven! Every line looked so beautiful! Want to go again and again. 5 out of 5. Way to knock me out of the park. :))

1 Thank fluffykins24
Atlanta, Georgia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Pleasant Afternoon of Art”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We had a really great experience on our visit. It is a small museum, so you might want to check on the web in advance to see if the current exhibits interest you. Right now, until the end of March 2013 there is a travelling exhibit of Contemporary Glass Sculpture which rivals anything you would see in a major large museum. If you appreciate modern art glass you'll love this fabulous exhibit.

They also have an exhibit of pre-Columbian artifacts on display through the end of June 2013. They have an Ancient American permanent collection, so I expect they have frequent exhibits of this type.

If you are a member of a museum which participates in the North American Reciprocal Museum program, your entrance is free. It also had a very nice museum shop with arts and crafts for purchase. I would highly recommend this museum for adults visiting Orlando.

1 Thank 2fromGA
Fort Myers, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Art at its best”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Although all the exhibits were not completed, the museum was really a wonderful experience and was enjoyed completely from beginning to end. Especially loved the glass crab exhibit.

Phila. area PA
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Art”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Very pleasant way to spend an afternoon. This was my first visit so I was surprised that the size of the building (big), did reflect the size of the art displayed. It is all on one floor. However, what they have is interesting and lovely. The fabulous exhibition of art glass is still there and is captivating. We did enjoy all the displays and the 2 hours we spent there flew by. I would not recommend this museum for small children.

Thank marleePhila.areaPA