“EPCOT needs to go back to it's original mission statement”
Review of Epcot

Epcot
Ranked #10 of 452 things to do in Orlando
More attraction details
Owner description: One of 4 theme parks at Walt Disney World Resort, Epcot theme park sprawls across 300 acres—twice the size of Magic Kingdom park—and is divided into Future World and World Showcase. Here, creativity is encouraged, imagination is celebrated and countries are united. Be amazed, inspired, enlightened and entertained!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed January 26, 2016

What happened to the Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow?! Growing up as a child, we would make the trip from Kentucky down to Orlando every year. We'd always go to Disney, well we'd go to MGM Studios (Hollywood Studios) & to the Magic Kingdom. We would stop at Epcot maybe every other year. As a child, I remember it wasn't the most fun place, but there was alway something new to explore & learn. Not to mention it was so cool to go to different countries and see the items they have & the food. So neat!

Well, my last trip to the Orlando area was back in 2008. My last trip to Epcot was probably 10 years before that (I'm 30 now; so probably when I was a young teenager). We planned a big family trip this past November 2015. We were going to do two days at Disney. The first day being at Magic Kingdom because, duh. The second day we were trying to decide between Epcot & Hollywood Studios. We (boyfriend & I) decided on doing Epcot as we could do food there (he's got a food blog) & we can experience the knowledge of Epcot better as a "young adults".

We visited the week before Thanksgiving. From all the travel books & websites, that week is supposed to be pretty tame in terms of the crowds. Well, maybe they were off because the park was pretty busy.

We rode some of the rides. The Spaceship earth ride (which is located inside the huge, silver globe) is always a classic in my book. They've updated it from the last time I was here & it's great. We did the Mission:Space, it was fun for me but Phillip felt sick afterwards. We did Soarin' which was my first time on it. The ride is to be updated soon, & it needs it. The screen looks dirty & the picture isn't the best. We did a couple of the attractions in the Land Pavilion & looked around at the fish tanks at the end of the Nemo attraction. We didn't do Test Track as it was such a long line.

The World Showcase - A lot has changed in my opinion from what it used to be. I remember when I was a kid I bought a little Mercedes model car, kind of like a HotWheels car but German. It has German written on it & I thought it was so neat, even Made In Germany on it. Nowadays, apart from the Japanese market (Mitsukoshi) every one of the stores in the countries have a bunch of crap. Want a keychain with Downton Abbey on it? They've got that in England. Do you need Maple syrup that's available at Publix? They've got that in Canada. It's pretty said that every country just sells t-shirts with what the country is known for, not actual products from the country.

We ate at Via Napoli in Italy & were pretty disappointed with the food/price/service. We told the hostess we were celebrating a birthday & she made not of it but nothing was done. We had some pastries from Les Halles Boulangerie-Patisserie, the weren't thing to get excited over. Maybe the food is better during Food & Wine time (which we missed by a few days, unfortunately).

1  Thank Billy H
Write a ReviewReviews (24,909)
All reviews
"food and wine festival"
in 942 reviews
"future world"
in 800 reviews
"flower and garden festival"
in 255 reviews
in 584 reviews
"theme park"
in 489 reviews

Reviewed January 26, 2016

We visited this park as a family and To us adults it was the best park of them 4. So much for us to do! The main part of the tark opens at 9 am but the World Showcase or Pavilions do not open until 11 am. We love this park. The atmosphere is more grown up. No hordes of parents pushing strollers. No kids screaming wanting to see the Characters. This park is perfect for those, like me, wanting a more educational and relaxing experience --dine & wine and shopping, while still enjoying some thrill rides.
We explored every pavilion and tried to experience the culture represented there. It was not hard to find oneself just sitting back and watching people go by.
The rides are great: Test Track, Soarin', Spaceship Earth, Mission:Space (our favorite!), The Seas with Nemo, Sea Base, The Land, etc... They were all entertaining and very educational while also thrilling!
We had lunch at the Restaurant Marrakesh...not only the food was delicious but the entertainment was outstanding. Live music and belly dancing really made us feel like we were in Morocco.
No better way to end the day than watching Illuminations! We loved it. Best park for adults. We visited twice while at WDW.

Reviewed January 26, 2016

Epcot was great except that Soarin was closed. My kids are too old for the kids stuff but too young to enjoy the countries. My husband and I had a great time shopping but the kids were bored. I wish there was more for them to do. Also the closed the water ride in Norway (which the kids used to enjoy) to make something else for the Frozen movie! They always try to keep the park clean but there are so many disrespectful people that just throw their garbage on the ground and do not care about any one but themselves(nothing you can do about that though except stay home!).

1  Thank MamaKK02
Reviewed January 26, 2016

This has been on my bucket list for years.So had the kids all excited about it and was truly disappointed. The exhibits have not kept up with the times and most things we knew already. There was no 'wow' feeling here as I had anticipated.

The world showcase - yeah whatever just a walk around. Felt ripped off.

We were there in Oct 15 and the food festival was on. For South Africa, the national food was the 'brown elephant' - what???!!

It's called brown cow - hangover cure of cola and milk - a little known drink in SA
And suddenly it's our national food. What poor research !!

The less said the better. Take it if you bucket list rather have low expectations if you have to go...

2  Thank Navszn
See more reviews
Reviewed January 26, 2016

Due to recent events where a man entered a Disney Park with a gun (and an expired carry permit) Disney has decided to follow Universal and implement random security measures such as a metal detector as a test. We live in an age where security is becoming more and more necessary and I would rather spend a few minutes to ensure safety in a large crowd...but employing seemingly unqualified, under-educated persons to select "random" people for additional metal detector screenings is just plain dumb and a major miss-step for Disney, as it is with Universal. We have Annual Florida Resident Passes and are at the Disney parks usually 3-4 days a week. If I am not walking right beside my husband, he will be "randomly" selected almost every single time, as will a male friend who often meets us at the park. We actually became curious and watched the people at the entrance and almost exclusively, single white males were selected for extra screening. Of the people performing the screenings, my guess is maybe I have seen one person who acted as though they had some sort of security background. Overall the people display zero situational awareness, allow people to be screened to get far too close to them and spend most of their time engaged in horseplay with other people. The security measures are a complete joke, get serious about security Disney, or drop the idea. Why not employee some of the Orlando PD or Orange County Sheriff Deputies that are often seen at park entrances to run the security or at least help Disney not look so pathetic when it comes to security by having an unprofessional untrained crew run the screenings? Sadly, that is my big take away from Epcot lately.

In addition to the odd "security" screenings, one has to expect two things from Epcot-(1) people drinking themselves into a stupor and (2) being run down by baby strollers and people in electric scooters. There is an overwhelming number of people in electric scooters trying to make their way through the crowds, often holding kids on their laps, which makes driving them that much more dangerous.

So why go here? There are a few interesting rides- Test Track and several non-thrill rides for kids such as Nemo and Journey Into Imagination, and of course wandering through World Showcase. While not great, the food is descent for variety, but for sit-down meals think cruise ship prepared foods where the goal is to feed you and get you out to feed a large number of people in the shortest amount of time. Overall, it's a fairly good value, there are just some common sense issues that are being missed.

2  Thank cjmsmco