“Don't come to lay in the sun - pool's in the SHADE!”

Grand Bohemian Hotel Orlando, Autograph Collection
Ranked #47 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Boston
“Don't come to lay in the sun - pool's in the SHADE!”
Reviewed January 18, 2007

My husband and I were invited to a wedding in Orlando. The bride recommended this and another hotel. We decided to wing it and bid online for a 4* in Orlando (its the only one) and got this hotel for a GREAT price.

The whole place is quite beautiful and well appointed. We liked the art, the lobby bar, the look and feel of a fancy artsy hotel. The room seemed clean, internet was fine.

There were a few things that we didn't like.

The first room they gave us was in the interior corner. It had one window in the far corner about 8 inches wide and 6 feet tall. I felt like we were in a coffin, it should not have been a room, more like a storage closet. We called down and told them that it would not do. They moved us right away to a better room.

Do not come here if you plan to lay in the sun and get some color. Their major flaw in designing the hotel is that they built the hotel to block the pool area from the sun. We were there in November, and there was some sun on the pool area until about 10am, and then it was shade all afternoon - very frustrating when you've come to see the sun. The pool area is just beautiful, white padded lounge chairs, a canopy with chandeliers, tons of towels - but no sun.

Also, the key card system in the elevator was a bit pedestrian. It seemed only to slow the system down, and its all the secure as all you have to do is wait for someone else to get in the elevator, and then you can press any button once they've entered their key card.

Valet was pricey - and not very informed. We took a cab one night, asked the valet to give the cabbie directions, and the valet's directions took us in the completely wrong direction, cost us 20 min and was super frustrating. Don't ask them for directions.

I know the hotel was about to leave the Westin family when we stayed there. Not sure how this transition will affect the overall hotel, but I think I would read a number of trip advisor reviews before I stayed there again.

• Disliked — Pool in the shade all the time!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank busyfeet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed January 4, 2007

We probably should have stayed in a different hotel just because the Grand B is such an elegant hotel. We felt underdressed 99.9% of the time. We were there for a football game (Go Badgers!) and we didn't exactly bring our Sunday Best. The staff was very accomodating and no snobbiness was percieved, I just wasn't expecting a dress code for the restaurant. We ate breakfast there the day of the game and the staff could not have been nicer! They sat the Arkansas fans on one side of the restaurant and the Wisconsin fans on the other! What a riot!!
Very secure hotel, key cards were required to use the elevators and paper wrist bands were required New Year's Eve to also use the elelvator. The pool was on the 6th floor and was just beautiful. There were several areas for lounging on these padded Chaise (Sp??) lounge chairs in or out of the sun. The covered area reminded me of an Arabian tent with fabric and chandeliers..just so pretty. Rooms were clean, linens/towels were crisp and clean and very inviting.
The Grand B is right in downtown Orlando and is very close, walking distance, to some really nice restaurants and drinking establishments, which was nice...no driving required! We recommend "Kress Chophouse" awesome food/drinks!
The only complaint I have is that there is manditory valet...$22.00 a night. I think that parking should be included with your stay. That did not include gratuity for everytime you used your car. I am not a penny pincher but that seemed odd to me? It just seemed like such an elegant hotel should just put that in with everything else in the price of the stay. There were many amenities that we just did not get a chance to enjoy, like the spa. But the rooms were quiet, comfortable and intimate, even on New Year's!
This place would be great for intimate weekend getaway, or honeymoon. It's pretty close to all the major attractions without being Disney-a-fied.

• Liked — comfort, cleanliness and general accomodations
  • Disliked — paying for parking
  • Tips/Secrets — bring dress clothes, an appetite for food and fun!
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank hrtrn
CONNECTICUT
Reviewed December 30, 2006

Aesthetically speaking it was a pleasing hotel. The artwork is interesting and the colors are rich and warm . Looks aside, the hotel was not that great. I agree with other reviewers who said the felt "nickel-and-dimed." Sure, luxury should be costly, but what ever happened to tasteful? They charge you for every little thing and they tacked on two in-room movies that I did not purchase -quite shady. Luckily, i looked at the bill and was not too proud to dispute the erroneous charges. Further, the outdoor spa was broken and the room was not thoroughly cleaned, there was dust and specks of paper from the previous person everywhere--guess they don't like to dust and vaccuum. The Grand Bohemian is also no longer a Westin sponsered hotel, not a surprise because Westin's are nice and tasteful. The bed is most comfortable and that is because it is a Westin Heavenly bed. If it was from the Grand Bohemian they would probably tack on a $50 comfy bed fee.

• Liked — The Westin Bed
  • Disliked — It is no longer a Westin and it is clearly on its way DOWN.
  • Tips/Secrets — Find a better hotel who gives you what you pay for.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
1 Thank HOLYHOTEL
Tampa
Reviewed December 27, 2006

Westin hotels have always been our favorite destination accomdation. When I did a web search using the keywords: Westin, Orlando, Florida, the search returned links which appeared to be those of a Westin hotel in Orlando, specifically the The Westin Grand Bohemian Hotel. The hotel, however, is no longer associated with Westin hotels, a point which is left to the traveler to discover. As the name "Westin" is to us tatamount to room width and length being approximately equal, it was no small matter when we discovered after having arrived, registered, and entered our room, that the approximate distance from the bathroom door to the opposite interior wall seemed to be no greater than the same measurement within a much less expensive hotel...certainly a small matter, but understand it is not a Westin room.

The price for an evening stay seemed quite reasonable when associated with the photgraphs of the hotel and it's rooms at the Grand Bohemian Hotel website. Color me unintelligent, but when I viewed the pictures at their web site, I still had no knowledge that I was not looking at a Westin hotel...obviously an oversight on my part, but buyer beware...if you are expecting a typical Westin hotel room with an abundance of space, the two queen rooms are little larger than other less expensive hotel rooms.

Per their website, the food served from their restaurant is some of the finest food severed in all of Florida. That statement could be true If form over substance is the system by which you measure quality. If substance over form, however, is the system by which you determine quality, then I believe you will judge the food from their restaurant to be simply above average. The price of the food though, is strongly above average, and the servings are noticeably small.

The staff at the front desk are some of the best I have seen in any hotel. All of my questions regarding places and directions were answered with precision and without appearing "rushed". Our room was exceptionally clean

• Liked — There was nothing about the hotel to like "best".
  • Disliked — It is sold as an upscale hotel, however in my opinion it is an ordinary hotel that has only an appearance of upscale
  • Tips/Secrets — Use TripAdvisor to find a truly upscale hotel without any negative reviews
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank HungryOwl
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed October 30, 2006

This was a great hotel. I stayed at the Westin Grand Bohemian from October 27-30, 2006. This hotel is pure luxury. Starting with the hotel staff - the valet attendants were very polite, informative and good-looking. It was nice to see so many good-looking guys in one place. The front desk staff was nice and kind as well. There was not one thing that I needed that I didn't get. The staff at this hotel takes good care of their guests. The rooms were very spacious and clean. The dark wooded rooms were very elegant to me!! I am a fen for nice, clean and spacious bathrooms, and this hotel met all of the requirements. I felt clean going in and coming out of the bathroom. AWESOME!!!! The beds are big, comfortable and inviting. I looked forward to going to sleep every night. The only bad thing about my vacation was the location. There is really nothing around the hotel for the average traveler. There are some bars, clubs and restaurants, but there isn't much shopping. There is really nothing to do during the day around this hotel. It is located in the business district so that alone should tell you something. I spent most of my money on taxicabs. Whether I was going to Univeral Studios or a souvenir shop, a taxi is what I needed to get around. Oh well -- I guess I can't have everything!!! This hotel is in a class all by itself. GREAT, GREAT HOTEL!!!!!!!

• Liked — The hotel itself
  • Disliked — Location
  • Tips/Secrets — If you are a tourist, then this hotel is not for you.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
4 Thank Gina5592
Dallas
Reviewed October 9, 2006

This is an outstanding hotel and a pleasant relief after 3 days at the mouse house. The decor was amazing, especially in the club floor lounge. The most superb club lounge I have ever seen including many in 5 star resorts. The "snacks" were gourmet -- sushi and pate, eclairs, napoleons,... nothing common. The absolute best sour apple martini I have ever had. We could've spent a few days in our hotel room and been happy. Room service food was excellent and our room was lovely -- no cracked items as another review mentioned, but we were on the club floor. Far better than the Disney concierge rooms and a lot less expensive -- the downside is that it isn't as convenient. From the hotel staff and decor, I would've thought I was in a much more cosmopolitan city than Orlando! Quite sophisticated.

• Liked — Sophistication
  • Disliked — View of high rise next door
  • Tips/Secrets — Club level room
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank watchful1
Washington, DC
Reviewed September 8, 2006

I stayed at the Westin Orlando almost every week for seven months, so please consider this an overall review from my many stays. Here is a breakdown of some pros and cons that I experienced during my stays-

Pros:
-Great bed=great sleep: Fantastic beds!! This is the biggest reason that I kept coming back... very comfortable.
-Nice rooms: Clean, quality furniture with nice lighting and roomy bathrooms (even though the floors and pipes currently look cracked and broken- there's been an apology note for that in every bathroom I've had)
-Very unique ambiance: Love the theme. I haven't seen that anywhere else and enjoy the dark colour schemes as well as the art work and mannequins- a very nice touch.
-Hotel bar: Great place to relax over a cocktail after a long day.
-Location: Great downtown location, most offices and restaurants are nearby.
-Staff: Helpful when needed.....but.... (see 'Cons' below)

Cons:
-Staff: One or two seem like genuinely nice people; the rest rubbed many of us the wrong way. Most of the staff give off a and unapproachable vibe. I have the feeling that many of the staff believe this is the Four Seasons.... its not (and the staff would be a lot warmer if it was!)
-Feeling of 'nickel and diming': I understand that quality costs money. What I don’t understand is the need to charge ridiculously high rates for rooms (see Four Seasons reference) while continuing to charge for **everything** Although it wasn't my own money, the fact that the room service prices were higher than any other hotel I've stayed at in Orlando (and actually worse tasting than them) and business center pricing was thru the roof ($1/page printing, $5/page fax) turned me off.
-Required valet parking at $20/day: Seemed like a good idea at first, but 20 minute waits in the morning (even when calling ahead) as well as the fact that it is MUCH higher priced than other hotels in the area turned me off to it later on. This could also be filed under "nickel and diming"
-$10/day internet fee: Again, this could be filed under 'nickel and diming' but I felt like it deserved its own point. To be fair, other hotels in the area have this fee, but they are much less expensive than the ~$250/night we were paying at the Westin.

Overall, it’s a very nice hotel and I'm glad that my company recommended it. I did not appreciate the vibe that many of the staff gave off or the unusually high costs for everything compared to comparable area hotels (which doesn't make this a value by any means), but the great bed and ambiance kept reeling me back in.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank TooManyFlights
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Aloft Orlando Downtown
#95 of 337 in Orlando
Central Business District
Embassy Suites by Hilton Orlando Downtown
The Alfond Inn
#1 of 2 in Winter Park

Been to Grand Bohemian Hotel Orlando, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!