“Great hotel in the downtown area”

Grand Bohemian Hotel Orlando, Autograph Collection
Ranked #57 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed October 26, 2008

Was looking for a 'nicer' hotel in Orlando. I've stayed at Disney many times and wanted to see what downtown Orlando was like.

This hotel exceeded my expectations. The hotel was extremely nice, the staff was very attentive, and the room was very nice.

There was a lot of cool artwork in the rooms and throughout the hotel. The location was very central - near the night scene on Church street (but not too close).

There's not a ton to see in downtown Orlando but this was THE place to stay.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank RalphandMark
Write a ReviewReviews (1,407)

Reviewed October 15, 2008

This is not your typical travel experience. A really a rare find in downtown Orlando. Many amenities (restaurants, clubs, etc.) within walking distance.

Trust the concierge (Mersiha) to take personal care of you. Let her setup your dinner arrangements and trust her menu recommendation! It only takes one visit for her to remember your name (I don't know how she does it?). She knows all the "off-the-beaten-path" (a.k.a non-tourist) spots in Orlando. As long as she is there I'll keep going back. First class concierge attention.

The rooms are great; very comfortable and chic!

GB makes business travel easier. I have no reservations (pun intended) recommending this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 12, 2008

This is a premier hotel. The experience is grand, from the minute you drive up to the minute you drive away. It is all about service and respectful friendliness. There is really nothing more to say other than it was a wounderful experience, and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2008

I travel on business quite a bit, and usually just stay at a convenient chain that offers government rates. However, someone tipped me off about this downtown hotel. It was gorgeous, in the old world European style, and the staff were very accomodating. I have a gluten allergy, and needed an afternoon snack. Since there was nothing I could eat on the room service menu, the chef prepared a wonderful snack plate just to my specifications. The next morning, I had quite possibly the best bacon and eggs I've ever had. The hotel is filled with art, the bar is great, and the concierge wonderful. The location is good too, and there are many restaurants in the downtown area within walking distance.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 23, 2008

Seeing a 4-star rating in Expedia for this boutique hotel and having stayed at other so called 4-stars, the beauty at Grand Bohemian actually surprised me.

Do not look for a grand lobby nor ten ppl to man the reception, GB is the type of place where you can enjoy intimate interaction with the staff. My young appearance might have deterred one of the older concierge lady to actively greet me, but all other staff I saw were very friendly and courteous. A younger concierge even recommended specific dishes to a restaurant that I'm interested in, adding very personal touches to her service, which I find extremely valuable.

Well decorated, with art pieces in every sight, believe me, the hotel looks just fabulous. Oh and the warm water pool and hot tub, just the best place to be after a long day of theme park strolling! Sitting under the well designed gazebo area (and dozing off) would be another enjoyment.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 10, 2008

We were enroute back to Florida from the Northeast and were waiting to see what was happening to Hurricane Ike before going home to Miami Beach. We were in Jacksonville with cabin fever and thought we would move south to Orlando to be closer to Miami. We were with a dog so had restrictions on where we couuld stay. The pricepoint was great, the hotel looked good on paper (their website was impressive) so we booked them. We could have got a rate for $140 for our room if we booked thru hotels.com, but you could not amend your trip after booking specific dates so we went with the higher rate of $190 (we ended up checking out two days early) which was good considering the hotel and what it offered.

Valet was attentive, professional and very welcoming. Front desk, from what I could tell as I did not do the check in, was good. The room was spectacular. We had a view of the pool, sitting area, desk, and a king size bed. Based on previous reviews of this hotel (I did research it) we did also find the snack/mini bar strange with their "remove it, you bought it" policy. It offended my friend, but I guess I could understand as why do you have to touch a Snickers bar to see what it is? Only problem was, we had open cans of dog food that we couldn't make room for in the fridge out of fear of being charged for whatever we moved. Needs some work for guests with dogs or special needs of a fridge.

We deposited the dog and wanted to grab lunch. I asked the concierge after we got to our room and left our dog in it and asked her where to go to eat. She directed us to a lunch place OUTSIDE of the hotel. My friend asked the front desk and referred us to the dining room and had a very good lunch. Staff was a tad overwhelmed as it is "off season" and staff was minimal. We also did breakfast in the dining room instead of the brunch, though I hear good things about the brunch.

My one negative of our stay was the front desk. I feel they deserve their various Diamond Awards over the last 4 years. However, it didn't come from the front desk. I have stayed at Mandarin Oriental, Four Seasons, and Peninsula Hotels. The front desk at these locations always acknowledge you on the way in or out of the hotel, especially on the way in, welcoming you back. We were acknowledged more by the valet/bellmen than the front desk staff. Everything else about the hotel says Mandarin, Four Seasons, except this aspect of the hotel. Also, when asking the front desk person what was in the area of the restaurant we were going to, she had no clue where it was or the restaurant we were going to. My experience is the front desk should have as good a knowledge of the area as the concierge, the same concierge that was telling us to go outside the hotel for lunch!

Would stay here again in a heartbeat. I am not sure what their normal in-season rate would be, but I would return!

Valet Parking price is normal for any city. Location is downtown and lends itself to a business trip, however to get anywhere in Orlando, you need to drive unless you stay at a hotel on the property of a theme park.

Prices are inline with what you would pay to stay at any hotel of this quality.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JMDHSMIAMI
Reviewed August 25, 2008

The hotel was ok. We had to stay there for a wedding in August. What really bothered us was the mandatory valet parking fee of $22 per day. I asked if we could park the car ourselves and was told no. They could find better ways to nickel and dime their guests. That is a terrible way to welcome folks.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dsmi512
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Aloft Orlando Downtown
#113 of 340 in Orlando
Central Business District
Embassy Suites by Hilton Orlando Downtown
Marriott Orlando Downtown
#269 of 340 in Orlando
The Alfond Inn
#1 of 2 in Winter Park

Been to Grand Bohemian Hotel Orlando, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!