“Not Grand and Not Bohemian”

Grand Bohemian Hotel Orlando, Autograph Collection
Ranked #45 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
Jacksonville, FL
“Not Grand and Not Bohemian”
Reviewed February 16, 2008

This hotel is fine, but nowhere near the level I expected. First the positives. If you want something in downtown Orlando, the location is good. The pool area is very nice with a "tent" seating area. Now the bad news. The valet parking area is very small and crowded. It's often mass chaos/congestion out there. The lobby is small, and the front desk service was mediocre (everyone seems pretty aloof). The rooms are very normal and average. For this level hotel, I expected more. The closets are tiny and the bathroom is just a single sink, tub/shower combo, and no toilet closet. Okay, this really doesn't matter in the big scheme of things, but it bothered me -- the paint job was very poorly done. There was paint all over the towel hooks and even onto the bath tile. Also the on demand movie system wasn't working. My two biggest complaints. It was very noisey -- the room didn't insulate against noise in the halway and from neighboring rooms. Lastly, there was inebriate people out front and in the very small lobby. Overall disappointing for this level hotel.

Stayed February 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
Alabama
Reviewed February 13, 2008

I was caught in a Florida rain shower while running in Downtown Orlando from the Grand Bohemian. When I returned to the Hotel, I was a rain-soaked mess.

I stopped by the valet desk and asked for a towel, so I wouldn't leave a trail of rain water through the lobby.

Jose promptly retreived a towel from housekeeping. When I thanked him for his trouble, he replied "I am at your service."

Before this experience, I would recommend this Hotel based on the luxe accomodations and delicious food. Now, I would also recommend this Hotel based on the outstanding guest service.

Stayed February 2008
1 Thank AHBAlabama
Seattle
Reviewed February 4, 2008

We held our group business meeting here and I couldn't have picked a better place! The hotel is beautiful, there's a starbucks store right in the lobby, the location is great, the meeting rooms are very spacious, the set up is gorgeous, and I can't say enough about the staff. From the General Manager on down to the catering folks...absolutely perfect! If I have another meeting in Orlando, you can bet that it'll be at the Grand Bohemian. Without a doubt!

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank kfenter
Atlanta
Reviewed January 26, 2008

I recently organized a three-day meeting for about 50 senior business executives at the Grand Bohemian Hotel in downtown Orlando. I travel all over the world, and as a result my expectations for customer service are high.

I was very impressed with the service mindset of everyone we encountered, from the front desk (Carolyn and Carmen, who arranged additional meeting space at the last minute despite being full) and bellman, Jose, to the concierge, Patricia and business center (Troy, who printed and photocopied hundreds of pages for us at 2:00 a.m. so we could be ready for an early-morning meeting).

Food and beverage service were excellent, both in the lounge (where we had a cocktail reception), in our meeting space and with in-room dining.

The hotel rooms were clean, comfortable, and artfully decorated.

We had an excellent experience from start to finish at the Grand Bohemian and I can recommend it without reservation to anyone planning a stay in downtown Orlando.

• Liked — Nicely appointed, luxury-style hotel with excellent customer service.
  • Disliked — Downtown location is too far from the tourist sites of Disney, etc., so the main draw is for business travelers in Orlando itself.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank MeetingPlanner6
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed January 15, 2008

Me and my wife stayed at The Grand Bohemian as our first stop on our Honeymoon. Check in went smoothly. Nice staff!! We had a deluxe Room with a king Bed with nice view of the fantastic Pool terrace. Just terrific. Nice champagne arrived to our room just minutes after check in. But prepare to give 30-50 dollar.
We loved the nice lounge and Boheme Restaurant .
Every single night they had live Jazz with superb artist.
We enjoyed every evening we had here. Try the Cheese platter with some nice white wine. It is excellent.
Hotel is located on a really nice and walkable street in downtown Orlando. We love this hotel!! We also enjoyed the Swan boats ride in Lake Eola located just 10 minute walk or less from Grand Bohemian.

• Liked — Fantastic Pool area
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MathiasStockholm
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed January 3, 2008

My husband I planned a last minute stay at the Grand Bohemian for New Year's Eve and booked a concierge king that morning (we live 2 hrs. away). I love this hotel! The ambiance is so lush and creative. The bar and restaurant are such hot spots that security is tight - you must have a room key to go up to your floor - good safety for female solo or business travelers. Not a good family hotel though - only food is fancy Boheme restaurant, the bar & a Starbucks. Good upscale room service menu too. The pool & hot tub, which are on the 6th floor terrace, have a very serene and elegant atmosphere. All white patio furniture (with cushions), covered area with sofa & chair seating areas with chandeliers. Room service food & drinks can be ordered and delivered to the pool although there is no bar/cafe out there. Fitness center looked well equipped.
Our room, which was on the 15th floor (concierge level), was more like a mini-suite with a large purple velvet sofa (which is standard I believe). The bathroom is a decent size with 2 shower heads. Shallow tub. For women - lighting isn't great, but hair dryer is hi powered. Plush robes provided. I heard no noise from the hall or other rooms (and it was New Year's).
The concierge lounge is beautifully decorated relaxing space with different seating areas and has great service. The breakfast was continental (breads, cereals, fruit, etc..).
Being in my mid-30's I did feel a bit unhip compared to the young crowd - but it was New Year's Eve too. When not traveling to Orlando with the kids I'll definitely return here.

• Liked — Ambiance
  • Disliked — Comforter was not down - it was lumpy and polyester
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Amanda N
Toronto
Reviewed January 1, 2008

The Grand Bohemian is the most overrated hotel I have ever stayed at. The pool gets NO sun whatsoever. The restaurant and bar will NOT let you eat there if you are wearing polo shirts and khaki shorts. However they were letting people with polo shirts and JEANS eat and drink there. They charge 25$ a day for valeting your car. Room service charges for gratuity are 22% plus an additional 3 dollar surcharge! The glasses in the room we had were simply wiped out with a cloth, you could see the lint on every one of them (including the coffee cups).

I have stayed at Sheratons and Marriotts ten times nicer than this. Even the arsty fartsy scented candles didn't sweeten our experience within the darkly subdued lights, red velvet and abundance of foo-foo art hanging on the wall.

NEVER AGAIN!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Non-accommodation in restaurant when wearing polo shirt and khaki shorts.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank draluth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Aloft Orlando Downtown
#90 of 338 in Orlando
Central Business District
Embassy Suites by Hilton Orlando Downtown
The Alfond Inn
#1 of 2 in Winter Park

Been to Grand Bohemian Hotel Orlando, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!