“Great hotel with convenient location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Ranked #90 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Arcata, California
“Great hotel with convenient location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2011

This is a great resort for couples and for families. We stayed in the Alligator Bayou Building 37 which was very close to the North Depot for the Disney Transportation bus service. The room was clean and had a very cute rustic theme. Housekeeping did a good job and were very friendly. The food court at the resort was very good, breakfast was delicious and cheap....for two people around $14 per day and better quality food than Denny's. The grounds at the resort are lovely and full of wildlife. Check- in and check-out is very convenient with no hassles. We didn't use the pool, when we walked by the chlorine smell was so strong it burned our eyes just standing near it, but the kids swimming seemed to be having fun and it was a large pool area with lifeguards on duty. When taking the bus service to other resorts Epcot is the closest park to Port Orleans Riverside, so its the best point for catching a bus to other resorts. Overall it was a great place for a quiet, romantic vacation with convenient access to the parks.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank northstar223

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,117)
  • Hebrew first
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2011

Nice looking resort for less than the cost of the deluxe resorts at Disney. It's on the bus route to everything except you can also take a boat to downtown Disney. Decent rooms, though it said waterview and I guess that meant if you look out the corner of the window you could see a pool nearby, not the riverview I expected. The hottub wasn't hot while we were there, though the temp outside was down to 28 degrees one evening, so the pools were out of the question. The pools could also have been heated better in winter months to like 85 degrees, then people might be able to swim, otherwise what's the pool good for? A very long wait to check in also--over an hour (that may have been a fluke).

1 Thank skibran
Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2011

We stayed at the POR in December just before Christmas. The exterior of the resort is nice but the room inside are in desperate needs of a rehab. Nothing is dirty just in bad shape. The furniture is badly scuffed, paint is chipped on the radiators- overall the room looks dated. For the same price the Coronado Springs is better. (We stayed there in Feb. 2009). Other issues with POR is that the resort is so big that the bus lines are 4x longer than for every other resort. The line moved quickly and the buses kept coming but it still took awhile to get back to the resort.

1 Thank Wendy M
greece
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2011

the place of the hotel was perfect river plants trees everything was wondreful
but the breakfast was extra every morning we have to walk till the restaurant and pay eveything we get extra per thing eg other price for kids omelete more expencieve an adults omelete
how many thihgs you get you pay for everyone of them seperete
i have never seen something like this all the hotels i have been have the breakfast included in the price or you pay an amout per person and you get what you want from a buffet but not in there
you have to wait long in lines waiting the bus to take to the theme parks
the front desk was perfekt
no caracters in hotel area just 30 minutes in 25/12
the room was small and not so clean
i was surprised with the laundry
normaly they get the things you have to wash or you bring them to the front desk
not there
you wash them by your serf
it was so .......mass the food and the entertainement

Santa Clarita, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2011

I have been to Disney World several times and stayed in 3 other Disney Resorts. This one ranks as "just okay" to me and I probably wound NOT stay there again. I booked this through a travel agent, who told me that if I wanted a specific area of the resort, that I should call the resort direct 2-3 days in advance of my arrival date. I did that and requested a top floor in the Alligator Bayou section. Upon my arrival, we were given a first floor room in the Magnolia Bend area right in front of the main walkway by the main pool. I went back to the check-in area and told them I had called in advance and what my request had been. They said that they could not change my room that night and that it was doubtful that I would be able to get a room change at all. We took the Disney Magical Express and we were supposed to receive our luggage within 3 hours of our arrival. It took 5 hours before we finally got our luggage. Apparently, it had been sitting at the resort and they just hadn't gotten it to us. It was finally delivered at 11:00 that night. The next day, I called the manager at the front desk and he was able to move our room to our requested area. The rooms are not real clean. The first room we were in reminded me of a room at Motel 6. It was just old and the floors looked like they hadn't been scrubbed in a long time. When I'm paying extra for a Disney themed resort, I expect the room to reflect that. The theme of the outside of the resort is apparent and the grounds are nice. The resort is very spread out, so expect to do a lot of walking. Also, I was not aware that the Pop Warner Football/National Cheerleading Championships were the same week we went (Dec 4-11) and Pt. Orleans Riverside is the host resort. The food court was an absolute madhouse with no place to sit every time we went. I do not recommend going to Disney World at that time.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2011

When we arrived at the hotel our first impression was that it was quite nice. This is our 4th Disney hotel stay and as other reviews state the rooms are dated and we had some nice stains on the carpet. My daughter is 10 but still gets excited to see what towel animals we have been left, the only one we got in the nine days we stayed was a snake which obviously didn't take much effort to make. Other than that breakfast was a complete nightmare so busy, queues for food, queues to pay and nowhere to sit. After the first day we had to split up and stand in different queues just to get our breakfast over and done with in about an hour. After returning from breakfast one day we found a maintenance worker in our room, I tried to get in to the room with my card but after three attempts I shoulted to my husband who was a few steps behind me to get his card out as mine had stopped working, at this point my door was opened from the inside by the female maintenance worker, who told us she was fixing our door! We had been in the room for five days at this point and had not reported a problem but thought nothing more of it and got on with our day.
The following day I went to the safe to get out some money and found my wallet all open and I knew I had not left it like that so I checked our passports and money and found both us dollars and English money missing.
I immediately went to the reception and was told a security guard would be sent out to me to take details of what had happened, the security guard was at least 70 and I had to repeat everything three times for it to sink in. I left it at that and tried not to let it ruin my holiday but the day before I left I went back to reception to see if they had an update as no one had been in contact we us since the incident which I thought was not very good customer service. A manager was bought out from the back to see me who informed me that they had no record of the incident so I had to waste yet more of my time going over everything again. I described the worker and she contacted the maintenance department to confirm that that was one of their employees, then she checked the computer and found that there was no work order so she shouldn't have been in the room. Then the manager called the sheriff so I had to go over the story again. The only two people who had access to my room were the cleaner and the maintenance worker and since the safe was locked and the key hidden the money didn't sprout legs and run away. I will not stay at this hotel again And I think they need to improve customer service dramatically and take a long hard look at the staff they employ!

4 Thank FionaBarnard
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2011

Stayed one week at the Riverside and we absolutely loved it!
Beautiful, light, airy and spacious room, with a great view.
Loved the surroundings and the river where you can take the boat to Downtown Disney.
Recommended! Going back in Feb and can' wait!

• Stayed November 2010
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside? Share your experiences!