“Great Room, Great Location”

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Ranked #87 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Truro, Canada
“Great Room, Great Location”
Reviewed March 27, 2006

Our stay at Port Orleans was great! We enjoyed the room and its rustic theme. We stayed in building 14 which was about 30 seconds away from the main building, a 2 minute walk to the Disney busses, and a 2 minute walk from the main pool area. The room was well laid out and we never had a problem. Even room service was quick when we needed extra bedding.
We would definately stay there again.

• Stayed February 2006
20 Thank David G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,183)
  • Hebrew first
Weymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 26, 2006

My husband and I just got back from a 7 night stay at port orleans riverside (alligator bayou section)...I was not sure what to expect..I had read some of the reviews here...but it was a lovely place I was pleasantly surprised.....We wanted to stay at a disney resort to be nearest to our daughter...who is currently an intern at epcot. Our room was consistently clean, every day. comfortable beds just enough room. (not overly spacious...but enough space to rest and even eat there if you wanted. The refridgerator was a plus. Our room was so quiet....the place seemed to have a full parking lot, and many people on the boats, bikes and pool and food court. but did not seem crouwded and we slept like logs. Now my husband has been ill for several years and needed a break and see our daughter too. But he needed rest also. So he slept late many mornings.....and you never were bothered by noise from the many kids there, or by cleaning ladies. A very solid place. (I hate thin walled places) The toilets are thunderous...very powerful in order to use less water.....that was the noisiest part if a neighbor used one at night...but it was not bad.
We rented a car so he did not have to stand for long at bus stops....but I was impressed with what I saw of the bus service and the stops also.
It is a gorgeously laid out place, peaceful... we spent just one day by the pool, on the riverboat to downtown disney and just eating out. You need that break sometimes at disney.

One thing is that the food court IS badly laid out, in my estimation...you have to go too many places to assess what you want...but it was fine for basic breakfasts and a quick lunch. I did notice that many of Disneys restaurants have limited menus...small in each place, but sufficient. It might be good to check out the menus before hand....do they list the menu's on line?
We Loved the Bahama Breeze restaurant just outside the main gates by the way....wonderful atmosphere and food....great deal on food compared to other places.

I would definitely go there again...even tho I would like to try other places...I am impressed with this one and doubt I will want to gamble on something less restful.
And pay attention to the map of the rooms/buildings....it can be confusing because they are laid out in such a way that they look similar...particularly at night. It is a nice place for an evening stroll also.

• Stayed March 2006
28 Thank pelete
Dallas, Tx
Reviewed March 24, 2006

Our third stay at this property proved to be just as lovely as our other stays. Everything was just so clean and nice. The decor is so charming. We were in Alligator Bayou for the first time this visit. We moved to this property from Disney's Wilderness Lodge and though technically a "step down" in resort category we did not resent the transition at all! Now, if the weather had been awful, it would have hampered our enjoyment of Riverside immensely. We walked at least twice a day (for a week) from our rooms to the food court area. We purchased refillable mugs for our party of 9 and enjoyed "free" hot cocoa and other beverages all week long. Twice we rented bikes (even one with a baby seat) for $4.50 per half an hour and enjoyed ourselves tremendously! Our stay was unexpectedly extended and no rooms were available at Riverside for the two extra nights we needed. We moved over to Carribean Beach resort and that was a HUGE step down!

• Stayed January 2006
29 Thank Readaloud
Alabama
Reviewed March 23, 2006

This was our seventh stay at a Disney Resort. Unlike some Disney fans, we try a different resort every time. We loved Port Orleans Riverside. We stayed in the Alligator Bayou right across from the main entrance. The rooms were perfectly themed (country/rustic) and very clean. We were located a very short walk from the bus stop. The grounds are impeccable with beautiful flowers and landscaping. The main pool is large and conveniently located in the center of the resort. There are quiet pools scattered throughout, but we didn't use any. The cafeteria has pretty good pizza and reasonably priced by Disney standards. We ate breakfast at Boatwright’s; the French Toast is to die for. The only complaint for me is the sheer size of the resort. If you happened to be unlikely, you could wind up a good distance from the restaurant. In addition, you might wind up with a good hike to a bus stop. If you happen to be one of the last stops, you might find the buses arrive already full on really busy days (this never happened while we were there). In addition, I would go online first and look at the rooms. Riverside has two distinct styles - colonial (Magnolia Bend) and rustic country (Alligator Bayou). I'm personally not a fan of the colonial style and, thus, would not enjoy staying in the Magnolia Bend section of the resort. Others might not like country rustic. So, do your homework first. The resort staff worked with us to help us get exactly what we wanted, but make sure you give them plenty of notice.

• Stayed March 2006
27 Thank Luv2EatFood
Boston, MA
Reviewed March 21, 2006

We stayed at PO Riverside September 26-October 1, 2005 and had a great time.

This was my third stay at Riverside and I was not disappointed. The recently renovated rooms were great - the new bedspreads and carpet and addition of the refrigerators made a big difference.

I had fallen and sprained my ankle the week before our trip so I called a few days before we left to request a first floor room near the food court and they were very accomodating. We were on the first floor in Magnolia Terrace.

The resort appeared to be full with lots of people (like us) taking advantage of the free dining plan promo Disney was offering, but Riverside was still a peaceful retreat at the end of each day in the parks. We really only noticed a lot of other visitors in the food court in the mornings.

We found the bus and boat service to be timely and efficient and housekeeping was great as well.

We had a magical stay overall and will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2005
17 Thank KarCstl
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 21, 2006

Our room was just over the bridge from the reception area and other ameneties including restaurants and general store.We had a water view room which faced the river.No complaints about the room and as advised on many websites we left a tip daily for the cleaner and were rewarded with plenty of towels for swimming and shampoo ect.
after seeing other resorts i felt the landscaping of riverside took a lot of beating.If i am lucky enough to go back to Disney this is where i would go back to.My only comment not complaint is that the main restaurant could not always cater for the amount of customers there were.The restaurant itself was good.This was a truly magical holiday and staying in this resort played a big part towards that.

25 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 20, 2006

I've stayed at the Riverside (formerly Dixie Landings) 4 times with my first stay being the year it opened. This is by far my favorite place to stay on WDW property (among those that I've stayed at is The Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach). I love the relaxed atmosphere, how it's laid out, the boat ride to the Marketplace, the various pools, etc. I just can't say enough. The staff has always been very helpful and friendly. Last time I stayed at WDW I booked a room at the Caribbean Beach which was OK, but it seemed too spread out with a lot of walking.

• Stayed March 2003
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside? Share your experiences!