“A great value for a Disney hotel”

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Ranked #90 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Tempe, AZ
“A great value for a Disney hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2009

This hotel was great. We stayed here for our honeymoon and although it wasn't a very romantic hotel it was wonderful as we stayed in the parks most of time. We booked a standard two bed room, and at check in we asked for an upgrade to a king bed, but they weren't able to do it because they didn't have any available. The hostess seemed very willing to do it, but couldn't because there just weren't any available. Also, if you're on your honeymoon, mention it at check in and they will give you "just married" pins to wear during your stay. We got so much free stuff with those pins, not to mention a ton of staff members congratulated us.

The room was nothing special, but the double sinks were nice and the room was spacious and clean. We didn't get any towel animals even though we tipped everyday, but that could be because we didn't have any kids with us. The grounds were beautiful. We stayed in the Magnolia Bend part and all the buildings were very beautiful. The pools were also nice. The main pool had a waterslide and looked like a lot of fun, but was pretty crowded during the day, We used the quiet pool right by our room only once because it was a little too cold for us. We used it after it was technically closed, but we were quiet and it wasn't an issue.

The food at the hotel was okay. We ate at Boatwrights one night and the service was good and the food was okay. The cafeteria wasn't anything to brag about. I had the build your own pasta and it was burned. Also we found that the breakfasts were actually cheaper in the parks.

The shuttle to and from the parks was very convenient. Our room was right next to the East depot, but by the time the bust got to us it was pretty full and we usually had to stand. We quickly realized that if we walked the short distance to the South depot right near the gift shop and hotel restaurant the bus was nice and empty.

The gift shop was very adequate with lots of souvenirs and clothes. Also, I recommend using the feature where you link your credit card to your room key to pay for things in the park. It was so convenient to have one card for everything (room key, park tickets, and credit card). I didn't think it would be so convenient, but I'm glad we did it because it was one less thing to worry/think about while on vacation.

We used the shuttle service (Magical Express) to and from the airport and it was great. It's wonderful that it's included in the room price. We didn't have to wait long either to or from the airport and it was very comfortable. We didn't use the feature where they pick up your bags from baggage claim because we booked our trip too late to get the luggage tags, so I can't comment on that.

A word to the wise: If it rains a lot during your trip some of the walkways around the hotel will probably flood. We didn't mind because it just made it more of an adventure. Also, I think most (if not all) of the gift shops, including the hotel gift shop, sell ponchos, but they hide them behind the counter so you have to ask for them.

This hotel was great if you aren't looking for something too fancy. It was definately a step up from the economy resorts like Pop Century. Even though we didn't have any kids with us, I think I would be good with kids, too. The shuttle to and from the parks alone is probably worth the difference in cost of staying in an "off campus" hotel and a bona fide Disney hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bonleeballerina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,141)
  • Hebrew first
Milford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2009

I am a frequent Disney visitor and have to say so far this is one of my favorite resorts, we stayed in the mansion section of the Riverside and the grounds were just so beautifut from the bridges to the courtyards outside of each main building. The riverside also offers a boat that goes directly to Downtown Disney which made it an interesting change fromt he standard buses.

We were also luck enough to take advantage of the free Disney Dinning offer and once again other than on a cruise ship I don't think I have ever eaten so well or so much. Service was always incredible and even during peak bus times they had someone there making sure no one waited very long, overall I have to say this was one of my best Disney visits.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mrs1382
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2009

I'd like to first compliment the Port Orleans cast members. Everyone was helpful, friendly and well informed. Not once did I run into someone at our hotel who was not this way. Upon arrival we were in the check in line for no longer than 5 minutes. Check in took no more then 5 minutes as well. We were given our key to the world cards, some direction and a map to our room. We arrived at about 11am and our room was ready. Our room was in Acadian House(mansion side) right next to the quiet pool. As we walked to our room we did notice a maid cart with cups sitting right next to the dusters. Overall that was the only thing we saw that made us kind of cringe. The rooms were comfortable. There was a Mickey Mouse towel shape on the bed, I wouldnt say the rooms were anything to brag about but it was clean and comfortable for the 5 days we were there. I would not recommend staying here if you plan to spend more time beyond sleeping(its disney your not going to spend much time in the room anyway) in the room. It was def. big enough for myself, husband and our two boys. Age 5 and 8. The quiet pool next to our hotel was nice and warm. It's a standard square pool 3ft to 5ft. The main pool was close to our room and was usually pretty full. It def. is noisy so stay away if your looking for some wuiet. The hotel grounds are beautiful. Overall it is a very quiet resort. I did the in room pizza delivery one night. It took about 45 minutes to arrive. I didn't really care for the restaurant on the grounds. The "quick-service" food was pretty good and I would have to say I preferred that over the sit-down restaurant. Hope this helps some. Please feel free to message any questions!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Tayjha
La.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2009

We stayed at Riverside from Sept 26-Oct 1. First, don't bother to check-in online for faster check-in, this was absolutely a joke. We waited longer in this line than if we were in the regular line. Then we got our room, that was in Magnolia Manor, the room was nice, but it was way too far from the restaurant and everything else. So we asked for a closer room. They gave us a room in Alligator Bayou, it was nice, but rustic whereas the Magnolia Manor room was more elegant looking. But it was close to the food court, and was had a pool really close. The complex is extremely large and getting lost is easy to do. But this is where the trouble began, when we changed room, they gave us a new key and told us we had one more use on our old key to retrieve our luggage . We we got to the old room the key wouldn't open the door, so we walked all the way back up front to fix it, then we went back and again the key doesn't work, then we go all the way back again. When we get back to the room the key still doesn't work after 3 tries and a family is sitting outside my door. They had been given my room, that fast. They entered my room with all my luggage, my purse, money everything we own. But she said when she saw someone was still in the room, she closed the door and left, she was honest, but what if it were someone who wasn't. Finally we got our stuff out and went to the other room. But I called the manager on duty, to tell what had happened and that I wasn't happy and he pretty much called me a liar, telling me they would not have given those people our room.
Other than this horrible ordeal, the room was decent and the food court was good. We had the south depot bus run close to where we were, so that was good. The buses come frequently, so you don't have to wait very long.
The pool was nice and the ferry was relaxing. Our room was cleaned everyday and that was good. The bed did squeak, which was an small annoyance.
I have stayed at the value resorts and would probably stay there again, because I don't think it's worth the extra money, you get the same amenities as this.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ginnylou
MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

we stayed at the disney Port Orleans for 7 days. It was a tight fit but very cozy. I went with my husband and nephew who was 18 and we shared a room with double beds. Though there is very little in room privacy i expected as much since I was going with a teen and this wasn't meant to be a romantic vacation. But with double sinks and the large walkways the resort worked well for us. No fighting for a sink in the morning and as long as I woke up before the boys I could hog the bathroom for as long as i wanted. Then I could go for a walk in the morning while they got ready. The resort has beautiful landscaping and lots of quiet pools I never really heard any noise in our room or around the resort. The dinning hall was a bit busy in the morning but otherwise I never saw a crowd. I did not use disney transport so I cannot comment but it was great being able to park right outside of our room. Mousekeeping were excellent and we had towel animals every day when we returned from the park. Honestly when we got back everyone was so tired the space was never an issue. I don't know that I would comfortably stay with 5 people as they say you can in this room considering the room has two double beds and a small trundle. Perhaps just enough space for parents and 2 kids maybe a toddler in trundle but it would truly be a tight fit I think that since we were essentially adults it was easier to give each other there space. If I were to come back with nieces or nephew I think i would get a cabin in fort wilderness so as to have the private room but sharing the bathroom was never a problem.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank TripLuxe
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

We stayed here in August 2009. Went to Disney for 7 days and decided on this resort as it was the most reasonable option for a family of 5. The rooms were clean, yet for a growing family--mom, dad, son age 10, dtr age 8 and dtr age 5 it was a little tight. But when you are in Disney, you spend very little time in the room. The resort pools were great and the resort grounds are beautiful and very quiet. Very helpful staff and the resort was so nice my kids would have just loved to stay there and never venture into the parks. Lots of walking though--the rooms are in separate buildings from the food court so be prepared to walk. When making your reservation, be mindful of where you want to be--close to the pool, the food court, the parking lot, etc. Otherwise, it was a great value and a nice escape from the craziness that Disney can be for two tired parents.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank Jenn126
Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

Fun was had by all !!! Stayed at Port Orleans Riverside on Disney property. Wonderful place to stay. Very clean and alot to do. What can I say about DisneyWorld? I have been to the Florida location and the one in California. Florida has my vote by a landslide. Can not wait to go back to Florida. I will be staying at Anmal Kingdom Lodge when I do.....

1 Thank Shirley0609
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside? Share your experiences!