“Fantastic disney holiday with just a few down side's.”

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Ranked #91 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed June 4, 2014

First of all i'll start with the hotel. Me and my family stayed hear in November 2013 for two weeks. it was absolutely amazing. the grounds was just huge.I didn't realise how many rooms there was lol. We stayed in the alligator bayou room, with two twin beds and a shower over bath. we had a safe, mini fridge and coffee making facilities. our mouse keeper (maid) came every day with fresh towels, soaps etc and made our beds. we had a pool just round the corner and also we were right next to the launderette. Every time we stepped out of our room I felt like I was walking through a jungle, it's just full of tropical plants and trees with little lizards,bird's and so many squirrels I lost count lol. We did have to walk a good 5 mins to the hotel lobby and food court though which dosnt sound a long time but when its first thing in a morning or late at night u don't really want to be walking that far just for drink refills, which is the next thing ill talk about. We paid for the Disney dining plan (quick service meal) it's the cheapest meal option(even though it cost's £1,100) and like with other dining and all inclusive plans we thought we would go up to the food courts and be able to pick what we like, but it is far from that. You get a tiny cardboard plate and the meal sizes is only just big enough to fill up a child, you get a Disney cup to fill up your drinks but be awear that you can only fill your cup up at the hotel you are staying in. You can take your cup with you to the parks but you can NOT fill it up there, So if you are there for the whole day then you end up having to buy drinks as your cup obviously wont last all day. but you can use your snack credits to purchase drinks too. One last thing about the food. If your on the quick service dining plan then you do not get to sit down at a table and order your meals off a menu like you would in a restaurant, that is for the next dining plan up(which is about £1,900).I know that sounds like a lot of money but word of advice ,If you don't want to eat burgers, fries and pizzas everyday (which is what is mainly the only thing on offer in every single restaurant in the entire Disney area including all the parks)then I would pay the price. Me and my husband were sick to death of all the junk food. Its ok for a couple of days but not for 14 lol. Apart from the food issue we had an amazing holiday. Going to Disney world is every bit magical as you would expect and we are definitely going again, everyone is so polite and helpful and I just didn't want to come home(my little girl cried all the way to the airport as she didn't want to leave lol) Hope this review has helped anyone and if you go then I hope you have a magical time :) Enjoy xx

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank natalie h

Reviewed June 4, 2014

We stayed at Riverside's Alligator Bayou for two nights in June.
PROS:
-Good for a group of 5 as there is a small murphy bed for a child to sleep on in addition to the 2 double beds. It is adorable with a mural of Louis & Ray from Princess & the Frog. My son loved it.
-The ferry to Downtown Disney is great.
-We did not stay long enough to enjoy them, but wish we had taken part in the campfire and the horse buggy rides.
-The rooms are recently renovated and the décor is very nice.
-The pools are pretty as are the grounds.
-The on site sit down restaurant (the name escapes me) is great for dinner.
-The staff was great.
CONS
-The food court is a disaster in the morning -- crowded, slow lines, very annoying. It would be nice to have the sit down restaurant open in the morning.
-I wish the pool bar sold some snacks to avoid the food court during the day as well.
-The returning busses were very crowded after the park shows/fireworks/parades. Expect to have to stand on the way back if you leave after these events.

Overall, I enjoyed Old Key West WAYYYYYY more and my sister in law like Caribbean Beach better because she thought the pools were more fun/exciting. I probably would choose a different Disney resort next time.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank IrishTwinMama
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We had a terrific week long stay. The room was elegant, clean, quiet and very comfortable. Our headboards even had a fiber optic fireworks display. The staff was excellent, always helpful. We spent a whole day just enjoying the resort. We ate most of our meals at the quick service restaurant and were very happy with the food. The included bus transportation throughout Disney World worked great. Didn't even have a rental car as they provided wonderful bus shuttles to and from the airport. We highly recommend this resort and we will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank Diane S
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We actually moved to Riverside from French Quarter halfway through our holiday after walking up the river to explore the resort one day and discovering that we loved it! I've written a review of FQ too, explaining my reasons why we moved, but I'd like to reiterate what a few people here have said: don't take any notice of the bad reviews of Riverside! We booked FQ based on those but wished we'd booked Riverside for the whole trip.

The resort is themed beautifully, with the Magnolia Bend buildings done up in a mansion style and the Alligator Bayou buildings as rustic, wooden cottages. The main pool is on its own island in the middle with smaller pools dotted around between the accommodation buildings. Each block has a car park fairly close to it. We were in Magnolia Bend in Acadian House, overlooking the Bayou, which we loved. The rooms were tastefully decorated and very comfortable with the pool and main lobby buildings only a short walk away. The number of pools in the resort means that the smaller ones are a lot quieter and ideal for a relaxing swim after a long day in the parks, but the middle, main pool is very lively and fun for kids.

The bar is brilliant as the pianist is a great laugh and really gets everyone involved in his set. The food court has a lot of choice and a lot of seating space so you're sure to find something for everyone. It felt a lot less like a canteen than the food court at POFQ. The staff we came across were very friendly and helpful, particularly when organising our move from French Quarter to Riverside and they even allowed us to select our room in advance of confirming that we wanted to move, to ensure that we were happy.

I originally chose to stay at French Quarter as I wanted a quieter resort - we don't have kids so we wanted a more tranquil stay and I wasn't sure I'd get that at Riverside. However, after staying there for 5 nights I can ensure anyone who's worried about it that this resort is very quiet, I think mainly because of where the main facilities are situated as they're not on top of any rooms. There's a lot of space at this resort so you're sure to find a room that is super peaceful. However, the resort also has bags of character and atmosphere and had a lot more to do and a lot more going on than FQ so was a lot more fun to be in.

I'd really recommend Riverside if you're looking for a moderate resort with a lot of facilities and character.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Holly T
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stayed here, to start off we had a lady in a wheelchair in which I told them when I made the reservation also. When we got there, our room was in the Alligator section of rooms. This room was not at all what I thought we would be in. It was about a mile from the parking lot. The room was very small also. We had to get a manager to get us switched, he did, then we were put in the Magnolia Bends, the room was bigger, but you could only cool it 70 degrees or higher, the air could not be turned down below 70 degrees. The room stayed cool, but not as cool as we like. We also were told if we stay in a resort that we would not have to use our car, wrong.....there is not any transportation you have to walk or drive to catch the bus to the parks. So what is he point of staying in the resort? We also were told it would be a very friendly place, well not quite. I mother-in-law was in a wheel chair, we had a terrible time getting around with her. Just not what it was viewed on the internet or the video they send. Very dissatisfied with this Resort.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank SUSAN M
Reviewed June 3, 2014

If you are looking for a moderate Disney resort in a beautiful, natural setting, this is it. My wife and in-laws stayed here for 5 nights in April. We have stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter in the past, and we liked it because it was smaller. We decided to try Riverside this time and see if we liked the larger resort. Before we went, we had thought we wanted to stay in the mansions section, but we got rooms in the Alligator Bayou area instead. We were very impressed by the wooded, quiet setting of the bayou and ultimately we were glad we stayed there. We were only a short walk to one of the four bus stops. The walk was a little longer to get to the main buildings for the front desk or food, but overall not bad. If you are not into walking very far, then you probably shouldn't be at Disney World in the first place. There are many pools throughout the property, so you don't have to go to the main pool. Also, don't miss "Yeehaw" Bob at the lounge in the evening - he is a lot of fun! It is a big property, so expect a lot of people at the main building, especially at meal times. Also, the bus stops can get a little crowded. There is a boat that goes to French Quarter and Downtown Disney. It is a nice alternative to riding a bus everywhere. Overall, we loved the property and would definitely go back again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jslong76
Reviewed June 2, 2014

I must admit I was skeptical about my choice to stay here because of a few reviews I skimmed through days before my stay. However, I took my chances. After all, this is a Disney a Resort. I LOVED every moment of my stay. My family did as well. The checkin process was rather quick. The person who checked us referred me to the concierge when I asked her a question about my magic band and the park tickets. So that was a little confusing. It turns out we didn't need to go to concierge. So that was just one "customer service" issue we had. So after checking in, we easily found our room and the parking lot was very close to our building. Traveling with kids makes this a plus. The room is so nicely decorated and very clean. I liked the curtains and picture frames. I had the garden view which was very nice. The room did smell like bleach. I think it was the comforter. I didn't report it though. Apart from that, the room was clean. Again I travel with my kids and my mom and cleanliness is one thing I note on all my visits. We took the ferry boat to downtown disney at night. It was so peaceful. It was a five minute wait and I gave no complaint about the time it took to get there. This was a vacation, I truly enjoyed the moment. It's a nice slow ride. So if your in a rush, take the bus or drive. The restaurant was very good. The breakfast was delicious. We had a flatbread breakfast pizza which was big enough to share and we bought biscuits with gravy. You can bring your own drinks or stop at publix or walmart for little snacks for the kids such as yogurt or apples because those items are a little pricey. We brought that and juices and water and kept them in the mini fridge. We took the disney bus to Hollywood studios which was also pretty quick. I really like that the bus stop was close to our room. My kids are usually tired after the park so it's a good short walk. The staff are very at tentative. We went to the pool which was well kept. It has a water slide and a separate kiddy pool. My kids had a great time. The beds are a little hard but the pillows are soft. I was very tired so I wasn't too picky about the bed. I slept well.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank Sunnysided305
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Art of Animation Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside? Share your experiences!