“Beautiful and peaceful property”

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Ranked #89 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Nashville, Tennessee
“Beautiful and peaceful property”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

This was our first stay at this property and we stayed in the Royal Guest room. I was surprised at how quiet this resort was as it is a big resort. Our room was close to a stairwell yet we never really heard any other guests. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the boat to Downtown Disney was a nice treat. I really enjoyed walking around the grounds and even over to the French Quarter. The dining areas were great for us and we also enjoyed the bar and listening to Bob play a couple of nights while we were there. He is really talented! Cons: we had a couple of hiccups with the bus situation. We used both the East and South depots as we were about equal walking distance to the two. The South depot has a screen with the estimated bus arrival times and that is nice to have. When we checked in the staff had to relocate us as we originally requested 3 rooms close together and it was not set up that way initially. I did find a piece of laundry tucked away in a corner in our room when we checked in (not ours) but other than those few things, we really liked this place and would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank JesseandCrystal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,183)
  • Hebrew first
Dothan
Reviewed March 10, 2014

This was my first time at the Riverside. We stayed in a princess themed room, which was beautiful. The grounds of the resort and very well maintained. The room was always well cleaned. NOt having a refrigerator was difficult with a toddler, but overall we enjoyed our stay and would stay at the resort again. We really enjoyed the riverboat to downtown disney.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Julie M
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

This is our second stay at riverside, we love the whole old south atmosphere, we received magic bands apon arrival, I was sure the colors would no be right! But alas the magic of Disney! They were perfect they even had our names on them!!! Impressive!
Our whole stay was great, the only two draw backs are
Having dinner at the boatwright's dinning hall,which took ages!!! We had booked a late dinner and were probably the only ones ordering at the time,we had to wait over an hour for our food.
The other is the singing every our in the break fast room. The first day it is fun,the second ok by the third and fourth day it is irritating! Even the poor waitress are not happy doing the train and singing, you Can tell they are fed up!
All the rest was great! Lovely room, all in working order, recently redone.
Would return

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank vhargain
Metuchen, New Jersey
Reviewed March 9, 2014

If you read enough of these reviews, you'll see many complaints about having to walk a lot. If you are someone who's not in decent shape, don't enjoy walking, even along beautiful scenery, if you've ever so much as considered a motorized scooter to get around a theme park - this is NOT the place for you. A majority of the people here I noticed are in pretty good shape, many people riding bikes and running on the trails along the river.

Travelling with my wife and daughters (6 and 8), this was our second stay at Riverside and it was better than the first. This time we spent a little extra for the Royal Guest (Garden View) room. Well worth the extra $200 or whatever for the week. The room was very new, the shower was so nice you didn't want to get out. One thing that annoyed me was the rod for the curtain that separated the vanity from the studio, my wife and I must have hit our heads on it twenty times the first few days. One complaint you will see that is totally true is the lack of room for clothing. There's a place to hang clothes adjacent to the vanity, with a shelf on top, an there's also a shelf under the vanity. But if you don't have a car on premises, there's really no good place to put your suitcases. We drove down and I put the suitcases back in the trunk after we unpacked.

If you do drive or rent a car, any Garden View is insanely convenient because no matter where your room is, you can find a spot very close to your room. We would get back from the parks, park and be in our room in less than a minute. Although, the River Views I did envy throughout the week just for the views. Our buildings both stays were very close to the quiet pool, hence the laundry room.

Speaking of pools, they're good, but not the best. I thoroughly enjoyed the poolside bar. My kids really want to stay at Boardwalk Inn solely for the pool. I'm not sure that justifies spending an extra $1500. Another thing people forget, you're not in a hotel like Contemporary, Boardwalk, Grand Floridian where you have to walk a marathon hallway just to get to an elevator! You leave your room at Riverside and you are outside in the beautiful Florida sun.

The food court is good. Not 5 star or anything but it serves its purpose. We ate dinner there once. We did eat at Boatwright's on our 1st stay, there are much better options for the price. Yes it is hectic in the morning but you learn as the week goes on. The one night we ate at the hall, I had the 'create your own' pasta and it was surprisingly good and a bargain at 11 or 12 bucks. Kids and wife loved the Mickey Waffles. Sausage was always good. Bacon and eggs were so-so. Definitely get the refillable cups, between the coffee and soda we probably drank 3 times the amount we paid for the cups over the week.

Entertainment - I read someone complaining about the horse carriage ride being "expensive". If $45 for a half-hour is out of budget, you're in the wrong place Broseph. Holy smokes. We did the ride on our first night, they take you down to the French Quarter, it was really nice. We also rented bikes $22 for a surrey and small bike for 8 yr old. We fished at the fishing hole - this WAS overpriced, but whatever. Nearly everything at Disney is expensive so why complain? The boat ride to Downtown Disney was very nice and scenic, but a little long for my taste. We ended up taking the bus back.

I can see if you stay in the Alligator Bayou, or some of the more remote buildings it's a little remote and outdated, but some reviews people request A.B. So who knows. The lobby is immaculate, the lounge is chill, the staff is so friendly and knowledgeable, the arcade room is great. The gift shop is nice and convenient. I saw a complaint about the check in. I checked in online both times, I was in and out in less than 5 minutes both visits. The nightly movies on the green, the marshmallow roasting fire pit, the playground, really the resort gives you so much to do. Also like to say I never heard so much as a peep from the people next to or above us.

Bottom line, for the money this resort cannot be beat. It's close to three parks, not like most of the Deluxe which are very close to Magic Kingdom, but then pretty far from all the others. Riverside is the most balanced location wise. Some people may not like the walking, I looked forward to the walk every day. So pretty and relaxing. I would recommend spending up for the Royal Rooms especially if you have daughters. It broke our hearts that they cried we had to leave, but at the same time it gave reassurance they appreciated it so it made it all worth it.

Room Tip: Go for the Royal Room. They're new and beautifully done. They're all set in the mansions alo...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
8 Thank Nick M
Weert, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We really loved this hotel.
Very beautifull nature suroundings.
Room good layed out.
Good service all around the hotel.
Very nice cleaning lady.
Everything very clean
Good restaurant.
Nice boat to downtown disney.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank juttawdw
Chicago
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

I have now stayed at each of the moderate Disney hotels and I like this one best. It's a huge property - so expect to walk. I stayed in Alligator Bayou Bldg 34 and, although very far from the front desk area, the West bus stop was just steps away. Great theme and well-appointed rooms, dining hall, etc. It was also very quiet; I never heard anything once inside my room even though it was a busy weekend.

Check-in was efficient...I arrived earlier than expected and was still able to get into my room at 1 pm. Only thing I would have changed is that my room was on the 2nd floor and there was no elevator. I didn't realize it until I had made the long trek to my room and didn't want to go all the way back by that point. In the future, I'd ask to be in a building w/ an elevator.

This hotel is also very close to Epcot and Hollywood Studios so keep that in mind if you're only coming for a short stay and distance is a priority.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank Second_City_Traveler
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

Nice time of the year to spend at this very clean family hotel.

Grounds were superb, housekeeping was great, dinning hall was nice and clean.

Room did seem to be getting a little worn down (wall paper/ paint issues) but overall a very nice stay at this Disney moderate resort. A little inconvenient to wait over 2 hours for our room during this "off season" stay.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank 9erfest
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside? Share your experiences!