“Lovely grounds, friendly staff, moderately priced - A wonderful stay overall!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Ranked #90 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Manila, Philippines
“Lovely grounds, friendly staff, moderately priced - A wonderful stay overall!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

This was my family's first stay in Disney Port Orleans - Riverside and overall we had a wonderful experience.

We did a lot of research for our first visit to Disney World resort including reserving a room for a family of five (two adults and three tweens). We wanted to stay on property for our first visit because of the convenience of the buses that would take us to and from the hotel to the parks.
We decided on the Port Orleans Riverside based on price and reviews. It is a mid-level resort, but still very reasonably priced compared to other resorts on property. Although we initially wanted to book at the value resorts, it was difficult to find a room that would accommodate five people. In the end, we were actually glad that we stayed in a moderate-level resort.

ROOMS
The room was clean, comfortable, spacious and functional.

The room was big enough to fit five people. We also had a fair amount of luggage as we came as tourists planning to stay for 15 days in Orlando before heading back home. However even with our luggage the room had enough space for all of us to move comfortably. Perhaps it is also because we are tourists from Asia, and in comparison to Asian hotel rooms which are much much smaller, we were more than satisfied with the size of our room at Port Orleans.

Our room was located in Alligator Bayou building 38, and although it was a bit of a hike to get there dragging our luggage the kids and i enjoyed the scenery (a southern plantation landscape and architecture theme) as we passed through Ol' man island to get to our bldg.

The room had rustic wood carved beds, lanterns, a ceiling fan, a wooden trunk that serves as a fold down "murphy" bed, which is probably why the room had a more dimmer and a cabin like look and feel to it.

Our room had two queen size bed and a fold down "murphy " bed which was a thrill for the kids who all wanted to sleep on that bed.

Room service consistently comes every day to refresh the towels and make the beds.

STAFF
We were very pleased with the efficiency and helpfulness of every cast member we encountered.

We arrived a few hours before the supposed check in time, and i was already expecting that we would leave our bags at the counter and head directly to the park, when we were informed that our room was already available and that we could go straight in!

For my kids, even the checking in was an experience, as the staff hooked them up with stickers and buttons and had conversations with them asking them where they were from and giving them tips on which exciting rides they should try.

We didn't notice any inefficiency with the checking in nor with the checking out, in fact it was the complete opposite. However we did visit during off-peak season so the hotel clearly was not operating at full capacity.

TRANSPORTATION
The water taxi to down town Disney was awesome, it became part of the attraction that my kids would look forward to everyday.

The buses were efficient, there were specific times when it was a bit full but we didn't mind standing up at all as the kids were just too giddy to get off the bus and run straight to the parks.

Overall we loved this resort and we would definitely stay here again on our next trip. We would recommend this for families especially for tourists who need to rely on the disney buses to move around the parks.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank with0ut_wings

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,120)
  • Hebrew first
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

I came to Port Orleans with my family of five, 2 adults and 3 kids, with my sister and her family. Mom and Dad tagged along also so we had a group of twelve visiting Walt Disney World. The are only a few resorts within Disney that have occupancy for five to a room. Both my sister and I required that and that's why we picked Port Orleans Riverside.
Check in was easy and harmless with no snags. The rooms are situated in several buildings and those buildings stretch a rather long distance for those not use to walking.
The room was two queen beds and a pull out single bed for a smaller child (under the age of 10 I think?) that is disguised as a bench during the day. The room was clean and adequate in space. These rooms are designed to meet your sleeping needs and a place to clean up. A suite it is not.

The boys were excited to see the towel character the first day but were disappointed when on days two through five no towel characters were left by the housekeeping staff. Any requests for towels or pillows were handled expeditiously. The beds are okay but could be better. They are a little below grade of what I would expect for the amount of money spent per night for the room. At the same time I was not expecting a Westin Dream Bed but would have liked a moderate mattress instead of the lower grade mattress provided at the resort.

The quick service restaurant (for those on a dinning plan) at Riverside was nice and we never found it too crowded to where we could not find a table large enough to fit twelve people. The general store is nice to grab last minute items and close by.

The main pool has at least four to five lifeguards on duty at all times which is a great thing based on the size of the pool and the slide.

My only big negative is the transportation to any of the theme parks. I give this resort four stars based on the lack of adequate transportation during peak hours both morning and night for its guests. It is sickening and truly a shame that the Disney Transportation Department really has dropped the ball on providing enough frequency and capacity to handle the amount of resort guests staying on property. My minimum wait during peak hours of both early morning departure or late evening arrival was 35 - 50 minutes for a bus. Now sometimes those buses were already full and could not take any more passengers. The entire fiasco on getting to and from the theme parks in a timely manner is the entire reason why we decided to stay on the resort property. If I had thought for a second that such a top notch organization like WDW could have failed so miserably in transporting its guests to and from facilities I would have stayed elsewhere. it is a shame that something so easy to fix for such an organized body and company like WDW could not have been rectified during our stay is beyond any reasonable explanation. If you are thinking about booking a stay here please check future reviews on transportation issues and times to parks before you confirm your plans.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
12 Thank Brian D
Grand Blanc, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

Great disney property but very large, make sure to pick your location wisely. We were in preferred building 14 and it was the closest to food court and south bus stop and pretty close to pool. After walking so much at the parks it can be a lot to walk in the resort. Great food courts and rooms for a family of 5, with 3 small kids. The chefs in food court were great at accomadating our food allergies.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Kschroed278
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

Now that I've stayed here, I'm really surprised by the negative reviews.

Yes, this is a VERY large resort. VERY! LARGE! If you're out of shape and can't walk far, this is not the resort for you. Spend your money and stay at the Contemporary. However, I was not bothered by the distance or the walking. This is Walt Disney World. You're GOING to be walking a LOT, you're going to be standing in lines, and you're going to be waiting. It's just the reality of this place. If you prepare yourself for that, you won't be bothered by it when you get here.

Luckily for myself, I was placed in Building 15 which is conveniently located near the main lobby and dining hall. My friends were upgraded to a Royal Room and were in a different area, but it was not a far walk from the dining hall either. The grounds of the resort are absolutely beautiful and immaculately maintained, in true Disney fashion. A river runs through the middle, and there is daily ferry boat service to and from Downtown Disney. Check-in was quick and easy and the staff were very friendly.

My room was in Alligator Bayou and it was nicer than I thought and very clean. I'm not sure who it was who said the bathroom vanity area is only separated by a curtain, because mine was in the bathroom itself which of course was a separate room with a locking door. Perhaps the rooms are varied? I found the bed to be very comfortable, and since I was staying by myself in a room with a King Bed, I had plenty of room for storage for my luggage/clothes/etc., but I could see where it would be lacking if you were stuffing 4 people in one room. I loved the fact that my room had a ceiling fan! That was the highlight of my stay, haha.

My friends' Royal Room was beautiful and had such unique touches to it!! I would love to stay in one of those next time.

We ate in the Riverside Food Mill (otherwise known as the dining hall) for all of our breakfasts and one dinner. At dinner, they have a create-your-own-pasta station which is AWESOME!!! I had penne pasta with alfredo, loaded up with lots of veggies and chicken. It was huge and delicious! I highly recommend that. Breakfasts are typical Disney breakfasts. Yes, there were lines at the cashiers, but nothing unusual and again, very, VERY typical for Disney. Like I said above, this is WDW. Lines and waiting are STANDARD here. Prepare yourself for it. That being said, I never waited for more than just a few minutes at breakfast. We arrived at breakfast at around 7:30, as we wanted to get to rope-drop at the parks. It was crowded, but nothing terrible. We always managed to get a table.

The bus stops can get a bit annoying at this resort because there are a few of them. The main one is usually crowded so we opted for the East Depot which was not far from my friends' Royal Room. We got on the buses every time and always got a seat. We didn't have to stand for the entire time. The buses are crowded and they stop at multiple stops within the resort, so driving can be easier if this is something that bothers you. However, you'll deal with the Disney transportation "issues" at every resort, not just this one. It is what it is.

All in all I loved this resort and would stay here again. I didn't love it as much as I loved Animal Kingdom Lodge, but then again, that's the difference between the moderate resorts and the deluxe resorts. ;)

Room Tip: Try to get something close to the main lobby. Royal Rooms are more expensive but very pretty and clo...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank EmLovesCW
Chicago

POOL
Pool was great and warm for the beginning of March.
Pool bar was big and friendly with quick friendly service.
Games where fun and they are easy to pick up and to leave.
Slide was fun and safe
Didnt have a problem getting a chair
Towels were clean and plentiful

Royal Room
The fireworks on the bed board was lame after the 2nd time.
Room was big
If a toilet flushes your gonna hear it.
Clean
Beds were comfortable the pillows were not
Rooms are dark but the window has ton of natural light. The problem is that the walk way is right in front of the room.
It does take a little while to get your bearings. All the buildings in the same sections look a like.
Water pressure was fine in the sink and toilet but the shower head was leaking badly = loss of pressure.
Fridge in the room was handy.

Resort Grounds
Beautiful especially at sunrise and sunset. Really impressed with how nice it was.
Pay for the rooms close to the Lobby or you need to rent a car. This place really is huge. Normally I wouldn't mind walking through a beautiful place but after a couple of days dodging phsycotic individuals with scooters I was thankful for the short walk.
All the paths where in good shape, didnt have any issues with getting the stroller anywhere.

Buses
One of the nice things about being in a big resort is that we didnt wait for buses for very long.
They had a tv with the wait times which where fairly accurate.
The lobby is the first stop so My Wife and ChIld always had a seat.
Drivers where friendly and informative.
If you are leaving at odd times or going to another resort for a meal do yourself a favor and take a cab. It's 15 bucks and saves you an hour. Cabs are always standing by.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank BCorr
Lexington, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

We loved POR so much last year that when we started planning our trip for 2014, POR was our must stay hotel. I just love the feel when you walk into the lobby! We arrived very early at check in, but POR was able to accommodate our early arrival & we were even given a free upgraded room! We stayed in Building 16 (very close to the main building) and loved it as much as when we stayed in Building 24 last year. We thought being closer to the main building we would hear & see more foot traffic, but that was not the case. We still were able to enjoy the quiet, peaceful setting of POR. I love the lush courtyards & pathways, the peacefulness and beautiful buildings & rooms. We were in Alligator Bayou again this year & love the decor in the rooms. The room size & room amenities were perfect for our family of three. I will say that our beds were a little more lumpy than they were last year, but other than that we had no issues with our room. It was great being closer to the main building so we could take advantage of the refillable mugs & larger pool. Our bus stop was just a short walk across the guest parking lot which is convenient with small kids. The cast members at POR have always been very nice, helpful & friendly. Although we didn't get to eat there this time, one of our favorite restaurants is located at POR-Boatwrights. Looking forward to our next trip & stay at POR!

Room Tip: The "Preferred Rooms" are great because they are closer to the main building & most of...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank KOlds10
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

The hotel was lovely and the staff very friendly; the hotel was clean and room welcoming.
The food was generally good but the dinning room was always busy and could be difficult. We had the grandchildren with us and there wasn't as much entertainment here as we have had in other hotels in Florida.
Was a bit annoyed by the money exchange staff as they could be a bit difficult and rude so was not so keen to use them and often went out to get money exchanged.
Would I go again no as the hotel just didn't quite meet our needs

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 95DKN123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside? Share your experiences!