“Like a Super 8 on Disney property”

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Ranked #89 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Baton Rouge, LA
“Like a Super 8 on Disney property”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We are staying here for one week for a Disney vacation. When we arrived at 11:30 pm with lots of luggage we could not find a bellman or a luggage cart. The directions to our "lodge" were not great. We found the building and the room after a search that ended up 312 steps from the closest parking spot. We then realized that we were on the second floor and there was NO Elevator! The room had no closet and very little space for luggage. Would not recommend you stay here if you have more than 2 suitcases. The beds were comfortable and clean. The restaurant is a 5 minute walk away and the bus stop is one-quarter mile away. Would not stay here again unless i needed lots of exercise....

Room Tip: Ask for one next to the parking lot and close to a bus stop if you don't want very long walks.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank BTRtraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,183)
  • Hebrew first
Owen Sound
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Not trying to come across as negative because we had a wonderful time at Disney as we always do, but I'm not sure if we would come back to this resort.
First off check in was an easy process, staff were friendly and our customized magic bands were waiting with our names on them. That was cool. This time we were in buildoing 16 which was a lot closer than last time we stayed here, but this is a large resort, nothing is a close walk.
What upset me this time was the raw sewage outside of our room, the first day when we got up and left our room there was a terrible smell and sure enough in front of our room was open flowing sewage. The cleanouts are located here I'm guessing so one of the rooms had a backup. I was happy to see some maintenance men already working on solving the problem.
When we came back that night it was cleaned up. the day however again, was that same smell greeting us as we left our room, this time when we came back it was still not cleaned up.
Went down to the check in area and spoke to a lovely girl who apologized and entered data into her Ipad, no follow up again on this, which I asked for and it was still outside the next day ( that’s when I took the photo)
The quick service here is excellent and the staff are friendly although seem understaffed and a bit stressed. The new "chips" the drinking cups work okay, but we did have some issues with this. Magic bands rule, although one of my daughters was unable to scan even her own meals.
I think we're going to try another hotel next time

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank jaysunhoffman
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Hi this resort is the best disney hotelI've stopped at by far.The staff are super they couldn't do enough for you check in was fast and easy you was given a map to show u to your room.OK this was a bit hard at first as the resort is so big when we finally found our room it was big to our surprise as we read reviews saying they were small we had 5 of us in this room with more than enough room after a long flight we went straight to sleep the next day on close inspection we found a few specs of paint and a cob web in the corner if the bath room so I went to reception told the lady the problems.The lovely lad said ok do u mind in moving rooms I said no I don't Ming she upgraded us to the princess rooms at no cost what was great when we got there my daughter couldn't be leave her eyes she was amazed by the room.THe only down side off it was the rooms were smaller than the other one we stopped at .(would I pay the price to stay in this rooms if don't think I would )as after a couple of days my daughter didn't really bother he with all the little things u have hidden around the room.THe grounds at port orleans riverside are massive compared to the french quarter it's like twice the size off it .the food court is twice as good at riverside than french quarter u have a wide rang off food and drinks there riverside is the best place we've had food at for the hotels plenty off choice and always hot food there the pasta is great and I also like how u choose your own omelettes And they make it for you is cool.So all in all stay here as this is by far the best moderate hotel at disney world

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Noel M
Medford, New Jersey
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We just stayed here at the end of February. We informed the person at check in that we needed two bed rails for our room. The room was finally ready sometime after 4 - we were in the park but later that evening we got to our room and there were no bed rails. Called and got one bed rail. Had to ask for the second again. What an ordeal over a simple request. We also told the person about a first visit and celebrations, none of which were recorded. I had to ask for a pin for my son the next day.

Paid extra for the preferred room which gets you closer to the main building and South bus stop which is convenient. We weren't pleased with the rustic styling of the bayou room and the fact that the vanity portion of the bath is only separated by a curtain. So no drying your hair while your kids are sleeping. We overlooked these things because we were there for the parks and not the room.

Midway through the trip, our housekeeper decided we didn't need any more shampoo and conditioner so I had to call for it. Annoying but whatever. My son wet the bed and she didn't replace the top sheet that was dirtied. I still tipped her at the end of the trip because I know these poor people get paid next to nothing.

The dining hall is a zoo. Especially in the morning because everyone is in a rush to get on with their day. People are so rude and will trample over you or your children for a fork. The last morning just before departing we had set aside two snack credits for a banana and some toast for the kids and we couldn't even use it because they had only one person manning the food line at 7am. Ridiculous and disappointing. I wish I used the credits elsewhere!

We were also surprised that the main bus stop was last every time we took the bus from magic kingdom back to our resort. Took us 45 minutes from MK to our stop. Next time I'm not staying on the monorail I plan on getting a car.

Even on a warm day the pool was freezing. I asked the lifeguard who told me the pool was heated but they might have turned it down/off and that other guests have told him the same thing. My daughter was struggling after coming down the water slide and the other guard stared at her and just tossed her float to her. Way to make a rescue!

The resort is nice but overall we were most disappointed with the service. For the price there are pretty grounds and the food is decent but I feel I overpaid given the experience. I'll consider a value resort over this one next time, if we can't afford to go deluxe.

Room Tip: If you want to be close to the main building/dining, choose building 14. Just be prepared for shabby...
1 Thank HeatherGGM
Lawrence, MA
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I just returned from a stay at Port Orleans Riverside for our family's Disney vacation. The resort grounds were beautiful, the staff helpful, and the pools beautiful. The dining hall was really busy and the food was just O.K. I wouldn't waste my meal plan sit down dinners on this resort when there are so many other options. I rated this resort a three because even though the grounds were amazing, the rooms, themselves, were poor. We had a room at the alligator bayou. We have three children so we depended on using the pull out bed (very cute). All of that was fine but the perplexing part was that the room was small and there was absolutely no storage. Plan on living out of your suitcase for your trip. There was no chest of drawers and the only pull out storage was beneath the pullout bed. It was useless if there was a child sleeping in the bed because the storage was unreachable. The bathroom was tiny as well. If you are traveling with five people opt for a resort with larger rooms or a suite at another resort. Otherwise, this resort was great for a family stay. My kids particularly loved the pools. The waterside was great!

Room Tip: The best rooms are within a short walk from the dining hall. I would shoot for the upgrade to the P...
2 Thank Hinchfam
Shelton, Connecticut
Reviewed March 3, 2014

This resort is a great family friendly place to stay. Room was very clean and the grounds were extremely well kept. All employees were very helpful for the most part. The dining hall can be complete chaos, your best bet is to either get your food to go or go when it is not prime time eating. The food is good quality for the amount they pump out, not very many healthy choices though. A tip, if you are on the dining plan whether you get a kids meal or an adult meal they all count as the same. I mention this because some of the kids meals are small and not enough food for some kids.
The buses to the parks run very frequent so that was not an issue at all. The pools are very nice and clean as well. I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Corner rooms give you an extra window to make the rooms feel larger, second floor rooms have less wa...
1 Thank Kelly L
Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

I had only one issue with this resort and that was check in. My room wasn't ready and was being told that it was almost ready when it wasnt. It was super busy so that could have been the issue. Besides that my stay was fabulous!! Stayed in building 17 that sleeps five. It was my husband my 10 year old 4 year old 2 year old and myself and we were perfectly comfortable with the room size. The grounds are gorgeous very clean and the food court has really good food love the create your own pasta and salad. There bakery has awesome cakes. Staff there were really nice and besides the check in everything else was perfect. Mouse keeping did a awesome job each day. Will definitely be going back there next year! !=

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Courtney H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside? Share your experiences!