“Lovely Resort...With Just A Few Wrinkles”

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Ranked #88 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
Dunmore, Pennsylvania
“Lovely Resort...With Just A Few Wrinkles”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

First trip to Disney, and stayed at Port Orleans Riverside October 20-25th with my husband and 2 boys (ages 5 & 7). Originally booked a Garden View room in a Non-Royal Mansion, but In order to get the free dining plan promo during our visit, we had to upgrade to a Royal Room (Standard View). (Interesting that we had to 'upgrade' to get something 'free'...but whatever.) Requested the Oak Manor building during booking, and our request was granted. We were placed on the 1st floor, corner room... at the very 'back' of the building...just off the parking lot. This would have been very convenient if we had a car during our stay, however since we were using the Disney transportation system... it was quite a hike to the food court for drink refills & snacks, and the main pool areas. Not that we didn't expect to spend our days doing a lot of walking, but it's just kind of strange... Disney goes out of their way to make so many things so convenient for you. From the Magical Express, to the luggage delivery, online check-in, the new magic bands, etc... having a 10 minute walk just to fill up drink mugs & grab a snack seemed just a little...well, Inconvenient. There should definitely be more drink refill stations placed around this resort...since it is so large.
OK... so the good stuff.... The Magical Express was pretty easy to navigate, although the lines at the Orlando Airport were a little intimidating. The good news is...they move pretty quickly, as there are buses running constantly...and they hold a lot of people. The Resort itself is lovely. From the moment you pull up to Port Orleans Riverside...it's just breathtaking. Everything is very clean, and the staff is friendly. Online check-in is MUST. Before you leave home, get online & create that My Disney Experience profile and DO THE ONLINE CHECK-IN before you go! The regular check-in line was just plain ridiculous! Now, I did the online check-in, so I was able to go through the online check-in line. Unfortunately, not everything went through when I did the online check-in at home (they said there have been some 'glitches' with their system lately). Anyway, it took me longer than I expected...but nothing terribly inconvenient. Left the check-in desk with everything I needed, however our room was NOT ready at 1 PM. So we left our bags out front with Bell Services...and hopped the boat to Downtown Disney for the afternoon.
We got the text around 2:30 PM with our room number...letting us know it was ready for us. Upon our return from Downtown Disney...we went directly to our room...called Bell Services & asked them to deliver our luggage. Super easy!

The Magic Bands worked PERFECTLY for us during our entire stay. They are super convenient for the guests...although we did encounter a few staff (mostly at restaurants) that indicated they have been a little difficult for them at times. Aside from allowing you to access your room, they have your reservations, park tickets, and even a credit card linked to them for purchases (protected with a PIN code you have to type in). Being able to get drinks at the pool bar, pay for meal gratuities, Disney store purchases, etc... all just by tapping your Magic Band (and entering your PIN) could not have been easier. In my opinion...this is the BEST feature of the new Magic Band system.

Our Royal Room was a good size, clean, and very comfortable beds. The boys even enjoyed the little touches throughout...especially the fiber-optic fireworks in the headboard (although the novelty wore off those a little by day 3 of our trip :o) In-room Wi-fi worked great...and was a nice convenience to have. In-room safe... also handy. Mousekeeping... very adequate...always clean. She left a towel character for us on Day 1...but not again for the remainder of our stay. (Not a big deal, but we tipped WELL daily!)
The ONE rather significant downside to our room was the lack of refrigerator. I had read there were resort-wide recalls of the fridges going on...but from what I've read...this started early last SUMMER. It was mid-October...quite surprise that Disney has not been able to come up with a way to remedy this problem in 5 months! While I wasn't completely surprised that our room did not have a fridge (due to what I had been reading)... it was definitely the biggest inconvenience of our stay. From the few snacks we brought with us...to keeping drinks cold...and even having a place to save leftovers from meals... we were definitely missing that fridge. I did make a stop at the concierge desk the 1st afternoon of our stay...to ask about getting a fridge...they then directed me to call Housekeeping and request one. Housekeeping, while nice about it, claimed they have no idea why the front desk would tell me to call them...when they said they don't have one to give us. So we just let it go at that point. Truthfully though...for the price you pay to stay here... you'd expect that a small fridge be included, or some sort of discount really should be issued.

The pools were clean and fabulous. We used the quiet pool by our building, the Old Man Island pool, and even spent 2 days over at the French Quarter pool. The kids LOVED the water slides at both Riverside & French Quarter main pools. With the boys being young, they had such a great time on the resort slides...we were able to skip the water parks and just hang at the pools at the Resort. Pool bar was super convenient and we enjoyed a couple drinks one day while the boys took part in the afternoon pool party activities. We always have an eye on our boys around the water (and are usually with them in the water)...but the lifeguards at both Riverside and French Quarter main pools are SUPER attentive. Definitely comforting to know when they're using the water slides and bouncing from place to place all day...you have that 2nd set of eyes on them.

The quick service food court was fine... typical quick-service food. If you ate every single meal here for 10 days...I can see how it would get monotonous. However, it was fine to grab something quick. Quick Notes: The Riverside food court does NOT include Grilled Cheese on its Kids' menu (but the French Quarter does)... however, it you ask...they will make it for you (although sometimes the cook will give you the stink eye :o). The Create-Your-Own-Salad was my favorite (and I don't even eat salad that often).
Riverside food court was CRAZY in the morning...even just for getting coffee (which the dispensers were often empty). The lines were a little nuts too... separate lines for all stations...and then a separate line to pay. Not bad if it isn't crowded...but at peak times... plan on an hour+ for your "quick" service meal.

Transportaion. We tried out all forms of Disney transportation on this trip. Had no issues with the buses. We used the main/South depot for pick-up in the morning (usually because we didn't know how often they were picking up at the other bus stops)...and then got dropped off at the stop closest to our room upon return. Even if there were lines for the buses...there was usually a bus right behind it for loading more. No issues leaving the parks on buses either.
**Quick Tip: Our 'Plan B' if we encountered long lines to Riverside leaving the parks were to jump on a French Quarter bus...and just walk over to Riverside. Since we were staying in the mansion section, it wouldn't have been a far walk at all. We never did end up having to do that though...since we rarely waited more than 10 min for a bus. However, it is definitely an option rather than waiting in line at the parks.**
Now... we had dining reservations at several other resorts during our stay...the only issue we had with transportation was the evening we ate at the Wilderness Lodge...and took the boat. We bussed from POR to the Magic Kingdom...then took the boat over to the Wilderness Lodge. No problem. However, returning from the Wilderness Lodge to the Magic Kingdom via boat...we waited 45 minutes for a boat... which then took us to the Fort Wilderness Campground...then BACK to the Lodge...before finally dropping us at the Magic Kingdom. There were many frustrated passengers on the boat that evening...as it was almost an hour & a half to return to the Magic Kingdom from the Lodge!
Overall, we had a wonderful vacation, and the Port Orleans Riverside was a beautiful resort, centrally located with lots of fantastic amenities...that really does give you a break from the madness, I mean, MAGIC of the parks :o). (In my opinion...the Riverside is more modern & definitely more picturesque than the French Quarter. However, the French Quarter is smaller, quieter, & more convenient to navigate.)
A couple little things detracted from our trip a little... mainly the missing fridge! However, the good definitely outweighed the bad... so while I would stay here again...we may try another resort for our next visit.

Room Tip: I personally enjoyed the Mansion section...I felt it was very convenient to access both amenities at...
1 Thank JDough14

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,204)
  • Hebrew first
Peterhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We stayed here 10thOct till 24thOct 2013.Our check-in went ok but later we realised we hadnt received all of the info we shouldve.The two who checked us in didnt offer any help with the fact that our cases were missing after our flight (however the next day Jonelle helped us phoning the airline etc they appeared 3days later).The service was very slow at the front desks and concierge. Every day we wasted a good hour trying to get help with problems like fastpass+ or items Id bought in the parks that had been delivered to the wrong hotel oh and the fact the phonecard machine never worked for the whole time we were there nor were there any phonecards in the french quarter...pretty poor.Everybody was always sorry but no-one seemed to do anything about it,It was very frustrating after two weeks!!Even a simple question that required a yes or no took 30minutes for an answer.However other than this poor service we loved every minute. The parks are great,our room was perfect and everywhere we went in Disney was immaculately clean the food was fantastic value and we never waited more than 5mins for a bus..the drivers were always cheery and everyone in the parks was helpful.We will definately go back.

Room Tip: We were in building 16 and thought it perfect not far from bus or main building and the kids loved t...
Methuen, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Went to Port Orleans Riverside Oct 27 - Nov 1 and wasn't disappointed. Only 2 negatives for the whole resort, but wasn't a real problem. 1st problem, did online check-in which took some time. My In-laws came as well and just did standard check-in and there room was ready and close to the main building. We started in line about the same time, my room wasn't ready and it would of been farthest from main building. ( I did recommend closest room) Anyway, the guy at the front desk made a phone call to see if there was an available room and there was. Free Upgrade to a preferred room which was nice. The rooms itself were great, plenty of room, can sleep up to 5 people with 2 queen beds and a pull down. The queen beds weren't really a negative, but I have a king size bed and was used to that. I don't recall seeing any elevators so if you have a stroller it can be tough. Those were the only negatives about the resort I had. Like I said, not really bad. The food court could be busy at times, but everything seemed to be going smooth. There is so much choices of food to pick from. There is so much activities to do you can just stay at the resort rather than go to the parks. There is a boat that takes you to Down Town Disney which is quite relaxing. Some of the activities include, fishing, boat rentals, horse and carriage riding, and bike rentals. The grounds are so well kept. Had no issue with house keeping. And the crew itself was friendly all around. It is a big resort so plan on doing walking, but enjoy the scenery. There are 4 bus stops at the resort. North, south, east, and west. The south station is 1st to get picked up. That's 1 of the benefits of preferred rooms. Overall I would go to this resort again, and do recommend it. Would of gave it a 5 star, but those little negatives I had didn't help.

Room Tip: Preferred room is well worth it, but I got lucky and didn't have to pay.
1 Thank d_arlit
roundLake
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Our family has been going to Disney World once to twice a year since 1983, and Port Orleans Riverside Magnolia Bend is our most Favorite choice of resorts. We have tried different Disney World resorts over the years, but now we only stay at Port Orleans Riverside. My children grew up going to Port Orleans Riverside, and now my grandchildren have also been there many many times. My oldest grandchild is 17 and he can even see the beauty of Magnolia Bend. All my grandchildren love it there, and of course all the pools. We usually go in July and then again at Christmas. You can take the boat taxi to Downtown Disney from Port Orleans, that is really an extra perk, you do not need to wait for a bus and that is really a plus. There are only 2 resorts that have the water taxi and Port Orleans is one of them. When you come home in the evening from Downtown Disney on the boat as you are traveling down the river,you can smell the sweet scent of the night blooming jasmine. We all love the panoramic views of the mansions, with the river and the wooden bridges that you walk over. The landscaping is beautiful. When the magnolia trees are in bloom the sweet smell is like having perfume atomized all around you. When you leave your room from the mansion you stay in, you feel like you are in Gone with the Wind Movie. I am telling you it is a beautiful resort. Some of the mansions have arbors that go over the walkways that are filled with roses, that is a sight to behold. The rooms are very lovely, the decor goes with the era of the Civil War. As I stated earlier we have stayed at many of the resorts, but we have always returned to Port Orleans Riverside Magnolia bend, and that is where we have been staying once to twice a year now for many years. The food court is very adequate, you can order just about anything. The chocolate croissants are my favorite. They also have Boatwrights Restaurant which serves the best prime rib that I ever tasted, my son-in-law agrees with me on that one. So, I say take a chance and stay there, its beautiful, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Garden views I have found to be closer to the walkways that take you to the main building which hous...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank stantonbay
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Stayed: Week of October 20th

Positives:
* Quick check-in time since we utilized on-line check-in a week earlier. Folder was ready with resort instructions, MagicBand instructions and park/event times, etc.
* Garden View room was available facing gardens in Acadian and partial water view. Room was clean, fresh and smelled wonderful. Bathroom area was large enough for the two of us. We had GREAT Mousekeeper service the entire week.
* Grounds were well kept as usual.
* Food court was always busy but kept very clean by Facilities cast members. Very nice and friendly cast members serving and at registers.
* No refrigerator in our room but it was okay since ice/vending was just steps away for us to keep our cooler filled with ice.

Negatives:
* We stayed in Mansion building 85, 2nd level. Unfortunately, the carpets had been cleaned in several of the rooms and whatever was placed on the carpets made the bathroom floors a sheet of ice, along with the outside walkways to the room. We almost fell twice. Maintenance Supervisor and crew had to power wash the entire 2nd level of building 85 since they had received so many complaints about the slippery conditions but it did not help since the problem was in the carpets. Mousekeeping cleaned our bathroom floor thoroughly.

Overall, another fabulous trip down by the Riverside. We'll see you next year!

Room Tip: On-line check-in is a must for this resort if you are staying during a busy season. You can also gi...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JoAnnR411
Covell, Illinois, United States
Reviewed October 31, 2013

The check-in time was extremely long. Our group came in after 10:00PM, and it took us about 1 1/2 hours to get checked in and into our rooms. When we inquired at the front desk about guiding us into renting a car, they were very unhelpful and confused although we had explained that we already knew that there was a car rental nearby that had pick up service. We had to set up the car rental on our own even though the Alamo car rental has affiliation with the resort. The restaurant service was top notch and very friendly. The rooms were very small, but we were in the rooms very seldom. Our rooms were located in the Arcadia building. The buildings are located a far distance away from the lobby and restaurants. It is quite a walk to go back and forth, especially if you are refilling the souvenir mugs. The Disney shuttle buses ran smoothly without having to wait. All in all, it was an ok resort with goods and bad but over all the goods out weigh the bad.

2 Thank Vicki_Breeding
Pgh PA
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Hello, this review is based off a visit on Oct 27, 2013 by a family of 4, 2 adults, 2 kids ages 12 & 8. We stayed at the sister resort, French Quarter (I highly recommend due to a smaller size) My son found out he could rent a small motor boat and drive his sister up and down the river so that was out main reason for coming over (the marina that rents these boats and pontoon is located at Riverside) I will provide you a run-down of what we observed on the resort as a whole (can't comment on the rooms, sorry)

Positives
* Polite, professional staff
* marina for boat rentals (and boat rentals)
* free boat ride to Downtown Disney
* beautiful resort with a Southern plantation theme
* Quick-service/Sit-down restaurant on grounds
* many pools, only saw main one, nice size, clean with slide
* fun playground
* Welcoming, clean lobby
* fun general store, gift shop = nice size
* walking/bike path (we rented a 2 person bike, too)

Negatives
* Huge! Very big, consider this if you have small children, difficulty walking, etc.
* Sit-down restaurant only open for dinner, would be nice if they did breakfast/lunch as well.
* Needs more outside seating around marina, front porches.
* Quick-service restaurant was a zoo, much more busy than French Quarter.

2 Thank MellyRussi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside? Share your experiences!