“Royal Room / Riverview” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #89 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Somers Point
“Royal Room / Riverview”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

Just got back. My only major complaint was that I am all about having a water view. Our "Riverview" was a tiny glimpse past a huge staircase (#9574) and there seemed to be several rooms with the view we paid for available. Sure we could have asked for a change but we didn't want to start our vacation with a complaint and being travel weary we were anxious to get settled. Be sure to confirm at check in that you haven't been assigned a stairview room! They really should make these rooms a separate category, lower the price and let guests know what they are getting. From a legal standpoint I could in fact "view" the river- sort of - but it just isn't right. Housekeeping was great. Consider renting a pontoon boat for an hour - lots of fun - but skip the Surrey - much harder then it looks after all the walking involved with any Disney trip. Also don't miss taking the boat from the hotel to Downtown Disney. We picked this hotel as it was the only one that hit all of our "must haves" - a princess theme room for our daughter; a queen bed for my very tall husband; and (in theory) a water view for me. Overall a positive experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DASRKS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,115)
  • Hebrew first
Buffalo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

This is the second time I stayed here, my last visit being about 10 years ago. i was very disappointed. I requested a room close to the main building (even called Disney) and I know there are no guarantees but we were given a room the furthest away! The front desk was very nice and willing to change us to a room closer only to find out there was no refrigerator. I knew other people who receive e-mails and knew this might be a possiblity but was never told when we checked in. I had a lot of groceries so I called the front desk and was told there was a problem so all the refridgerators were being replaced. They offered to bring another waste basket with liners and an ice bucket. We did receive the ice bucket but no waste basket. We used the one already in our room and felt bad about not being able to re-cycle but with groceries, there was nothing we could do. I was very disappointed that the hotel is 100% smoke free but that only applies to the rooms. I have never seen so many people walking around smoking without anything being done or said to them. There are plenty of smoking areas (unfortunately placed near high foot traffic areas) so I didn't think there was a reason to constantly have smoke blown near me. I loved Bob Jackson and the servers at the bar were wonderful. They remembered me from the first night of my trip when we stopped in for a drink before going back to our room and our last night. I will visit again to see Bob but not stay there. Also, our room could have been cleaner. We found several hairs that did not belong to us on the floor, on the bathroom floor, etc. I will stay at some of my other favorite resorts instead.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank dmh2418
Near glasgow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

Our family of 5 stayed in alligator bayou for 2 weeks in September/October 2013. We had previously stayed at the French quarter and loved it, unfortunately the riverside resort not as much. I think the problem was the distance our block was from the food court, main bus stop and water taxi's, after a day / night at the parks a long walk with the kids was the last thing you wanted to do. All of the staff were helpfull and cheery (apart from 1 lady in the food court who was grumpy every day) the cleaning staff were great and serviced our room daily. I don't think we would stay here again, as there is too much walking involved. The rooms for 5 are the same size as the rooms for 4 so you lose valuable storage.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the lobby.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Somerville, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

My fiance and I stayed here for 5 nights during the first week of October. We both loved it and it really surpassed our expectations. We were in building 25 of Alligator Bayou in a Garden room. It was very quiet and overlooked the woods and we were right near a quiet pool. We rented a car and drove between our building and the main buildings, but walked 2-3 times as well. We were also close to a bus stop, but I can see how it would be tiring if you wanted to make many walking trips to the pool and food court.

The room was very nicely decorated and very clean and fairly quiet. We did get some noise in the mornings from folks walking by our window, but it wasn't too bad. We both enjoyed the food court and the lounge and I thought that the store had a great selection of gifts and souvenirs. I felt that the food court was very clean and fairly well organized. It was also never extremely crowded so that probably helped as well.

We also rented a Boston Whaler from the marina and really enjoyed that. We went on the river all the way down to Old Key West. It was around $40 for 30 minutes which I felt was reasonable. If you take the pontoon or sea racer boats you can go all the way to Downtown Disney. Next time we would like to rent kayaks but we didn't see that option until we were done.

If you don't have kids who want to use the water slides, I would recommend the quiet pools as they were definitely quieter and much more shady. French Quarter is also quite a nice walk or boat ride to experience a different pool or food court. I would recommend this hotel for all types of groups. It was very romantic and at the same time seemed like it had some great activities and sights for the kids/families too!

Room Tip: Look at the map before you leave the check-in desk to decide if you would like to request a closer r...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

I was booking a new trip to Florida when I decided to finally do Disney. Disney turned around to me not my thing but the hotel was brilliant.

I loved the food in the food court as it was cheap, take-away-able and you could make up your own salads and asked for random choices (I tend to like the fruit that comes with kids meals). I also loved the shop in the main building as it had things I forgot. The staff in both places were the best. Lovely and chatty and helped out when I asked random questions.

My room was exactly where I wanted (number 8706) and it was close to the bridge to the pool and near to the main building. Didn't have a fridge but it wasn't something I really needed. I loved the room and found it to be large compared to other rooms I was in.

I loved the new bands (despite only hearing about them at check in) and I found no issues getting into parks, fastpass plus and charging with it.

Disney transport was mainly good, only one morning I was waiting more than 20 minutes for Hollywood Studios.

Some downsides: Check in too forever as there was no one around to help. I did online check in and those that didn't were looked after much fast when I was the only person in the queue. They closed down one of the bridges during the day which doubled the time to the main building and it was done without much notice beforehand.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Newburgh, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

We just finished a week at Disney and stayed at Riverside. Overall the hotel was pretty nice for a Disney moderate. The room was a decent size with two beds and a pull down and fridge in the room. The resort is kinda big and spread out. Our building was in the Alligator Bayou and was a bit of a hike from the main building and bus depots. The dining hall was a good value and had a lot of choices. Also, Boatwrights restaurant was very good.

Room Tip: I would try to stay in one of the plantation style houses closer to the main building.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

My family and I just got back from being fleeced by the Mouse at Walt Disney World in September 2013 and for this trip elected to stay at the Port Orleans Riverside Resort. Overall I would highly recommend this resort and will likely stay there on future visits.

Our family is now too large for a standard room at one of Disney's value resorts, so we had to upgrade to a moderate for this trip. Our room wasn't huge but comfortably slept two adults and three toddlers with four of us on the two full size beds and one on the pullout bed. Everything was nice and clean, although we had to call on a couple of occasions for additional shampoo, conditioner, and towels as the mousekeeping staff wouldn't leave enough for the five people we had.

I was pleasantly surprised by how centrally located Riverside was to all of the parks. Any of the parks were no more than a 15-minute bus ride from the resort. You could also ride the boat shuttle from Riverside to either the Port Orleans French Quarter Resort or to Downtown Disney.

The resort itself was very nice and quiet. There was a large pool area at the front of the resort near the lobby and smaller pools scattered throughout the resort. The natural surrounding were beautiful. My one big complaint about the resort is how massive it was. From our room in building 24 it was a good 15 minute hike to get up to the main lobby and food court, which is annoying when you have the refillable soda mugs but are too far away from the lobby to be able to use them. As spread out as it was it is no wonder all of the cast members working at the resort are riding around on Cushman carts.

Overall I enjoyed my stay at this resort and would recommend it, but I would request a room closer to the front of the resort next time.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside? Share your experiences!