“Second vist and didnt fail to impress”

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Ranked #89 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Liverpool
“Second vist and didnt fail to impress”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Stayed August 2012 for 2 weeks and it was Fab what an experience and we loved every minute of it. Disney know how to do it and they do it well. The boat down to downtown Disney was a god send at night as an alternative back to the hotel when the busses were busy. Cartwright's dinning room was good but by the end of week 2 in Disney on the dinning plan at Cartwright's and in the parks we just wanted something different and we stopped off for KFC on International Drive after a trip to Universal studios. I love every Sunday how the plane writes God loves you in the sky it puts a smile on your face as does every thing in Disney. The pool at the end of the block of rooms was usually not as busy as the main pool so the girls went to that more often. Over all a lovely experience would go again any time.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank LiverpoolHarding

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,167)
  • Hebrew first
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed July 31, 2013

This is the letter I wrote to Disney when we got home....
To whom it may concern,
We were due to stay at Port Orleans Riverside June 14-18, 2013 for a family reunion/vacation. From the beginning I’ve had problems with this trip. When I selected our resort and registered we’d originally asked for a King Size Garden View room. Originally we were going to do the park hopper tickets through our reservation.
After I spoke to my sister, we realized that as a member of the US Navy, she could get us tickets for a significantly cheaper price. We called and cancelled our park tickets, and kept our reservations.
When the remainder came due on our account I had changed banks and had a delay in my paycheck due to the change. There were major issues changing our reservations because they were still listed as a package, instead of only a room reservation, and the card previously used was no longer valid as it was my former debit card. By the time it got changed over, we ended up in a Princess Tiana Royal Suite with the same resort. We’d have preferred the King bed, but were glad to move forward.
We did an online check in on Wednesday or Thursday for a check in for 3:00 on Friday the 14th. We arrived at the resort shortly after 2:00. Gulianne? Checked us in and advised us that updates on our room were being completed, it would be ready at 3:00, and we would receive text notification when it was ready to my cell phone. We were fine with that, took a walk, found everything we needed, grabbed our pool bag from the truck and lounged by the pool. At 4:00 we still had not received notification our room was ready, so we went to check with the front desk.
Alex at the front desk told us check in is really between 3 and 5, but he would check on the room status and let us know what was going on. He called and advised the room was ready; I got the text that the room was ready, and we went to our room. When we arrived, there was a maintenance person still working in the room. I waited outside while my husband retrieved the luggage. When the maintenance man left the room I started to enter and was told not to go in until the room had been inspected. So we kept waiting. One of your cast members came by to deliver a gift basket from the resort’s front desk (Thank you for the lovely gift basket, by the way) He asked why we were waiting. I told him we were told not to go in until the room had been inspected. He went to get someone to inspect the room. A group of three people came to check the room, they approved it and we were allowed in at 5:00.
We went in and immediately noticed a white envelope on the table. I gave it to the maintenance people before they left- it was a copy of the bill for the prior resident with payment information on it. After they left I noticed a screw driver on the bed and requested maintenance to come by and pick up the screwdriver. I also requested extra hangers because we’d gotten stuck in a storm on the way down and our luggage got soaked. I started to hang up the things that I could, and noticed that one of the sinks was coated in dip (chewing tobacco) stains and residue, and one of the decorative curtains over the bathroom privacy curtain was falling off the wall. I called housekeeping to ask them to send someone to clean the sink and fix the curtain.
An hour later no one had shown up at our room, so I placed a second call for all of the corrections. I realized I was cold and tried to change the temperature in the room from 60 to 70, the radiator immediately put off a burning smell. At that point, I decided it was time to contact a manager. Once I started out the door, maintenance picked up their screwdriver and the hangers were dropped off. I called and changed our dinner reservations to 8:30 from 6:30 (which meant I missed dinner with my family) at Raglan Road, left my husband to hang stuff up, and I headed over to the lobby for a manager.
Zach was the manager that spoke with me on Friday night. When I explained everything that happened he immediately set up to refund our room for Friday night (Incidentally, that refund still has not posted a week later.) He offered a taxi to get us to dinner and back, I declined because the ferry would get us there just as quickly. He told us things would be fixed before we got back. I got back to the room and the dip was still in the sink. I slipped off my flip-flops, and promptly stepped on a screw. I picked up the screw to take to Zach and ask for a thorough vacuuming to be completed while we were out as well. By that time I needed to withdraw a bit, so I laid down on the bed and noticed that the top spot lights on the headboards were out.
We saw Zach on our way out for dinner about 7. He reassured us everything would be fixed by the time we returned. I gave him the screw, I told him about the lights, and asked that the room also be vacuumed thoroughly. He said that would be taken care of. We got back about 9:30 or 10, the sink was clean the burning smell had dissipated, so we thought everything was fine, although the lights were still out. We settled into bed and started to fall asleep. Engineering knocked on the door to wake us up at 10:45 so they could service the a/c unit. We went to the food court for a late night snack, came back and went to bed about midnight.
4:30 Saturday morning someone went screaming down the hallway outside. They did it again at 5:30. By that time we were awake, so we started getting ready for our day. My husband took his shower, and then I took mine. When I tried to turn off the shower, the handle came off in my hand. I was hesitant to leave the handle in the room because of the standards that were shown to me the previous day. I dropped it off to Chelsea, the manager on duty that morning, on our way to breakfast about 7:00 a.m. I also reminded her about the lights on the headboard. She told us that they would be fixed first thing that morning.
We went to Hollywood Studios and came back about 5:00 that evening. We were supposed to clean up and meet our family for dinner at their townhouses off property for dinner. We stopped by the lobby to ensure that everything had been fixed and were told it was being worked on at the moment by Cathy? I asked to speak to a manager and spoke to Zach again. I explained the situation (covered in baby spit up from my nieces, and due at dinner at 6:30) and he advised we could shower at the pools. I told him that was not acceptable because I needed a soap and hot water shower, not to have to drag my grooming materials to the pool and back for a public cold water shower. He arranged for us to get access to a spare room for bathing, offered to let us change to it, offered to have someone move us and offered 2 nights future stay. We knew packing and moving meant we would miss our family dinner, I’m not happy with the thought of other people handling my dirty laundry or underwear, and at this point I knew I needed to speak to someone above Zach, because things were not being accomplished by his management level. He called Maintenance and was told that the shower was usable; they had put on a temporary handle. A replacement handle and the lights for the bed were on backorder and wouldn’t be in until the next week, I also advised him there appeared to be concrete in the bottom of the toilet in this room.
We went to the room; I got ready to shower and went to turn on the water. The handle spun without a connection. I tried adding pressure and turning and could not open the valve. At that point I called my husband, because if I did not get clean, I was going to lose my patience. He got the water on, but still had to struggle. I asked him to call Zach and make the other room available, because we were going to have to move. If I could not use the shower without assistance from my spouse, I could not deal with this room. I called my family, cancelled dinner (again, 2nd night in a row. I only get to see my siblings once a year) asked Zach about paying for dinner since we needed to pack and move that night. Zach agreed, and asked if we would like VIP seating at Epcot’s fireworks for Sunday night. I called and asked my family, then Zach called and told me he couldn’t make it happen. The next suggestion was that he had someone trying to make the magic Kingdom Fireworks VIP seating happen, and he would call me on Sunday morning to confirm. We began packing and noticed that the refrigerator had frozen and ruined quite a bit of produce I’d brought for meals for the week (lettuce, tomatoes, avocado and plums) I asked Zach to add that to the list of things for Maintenance to repair. We packed and moved to the other room and unpacked the urgent things. We went to dinner, and came back to the room.
When I got back to the room I proceeded to unpack the suitcase, and I stepped on a contact. Neither one of us wear contacts. At that time, my patience was so absolutely shot that I knew I could not be respectful in my dealings, so I chose to let it go. Through the night we noticed that the toilet wasn’t flushing properly, even for toilet paper.
We went to Animal Kingdom straight from our room Sunday morning. When we heard that the Magic Kingdom Fireworks weren’t happening I advised the new room needed a thorough cleaning and toilet repair and to check out an intermittent dripping noise in the air vents.
We were supposed to meet my husband’s family for lunch, so we left the parks at 11:00 to have plenty of time to get to the resort and then to downtown Disney to meet them. We waited 45 minutes for a bus at the stop, the couple there before us said they’d been told not to get on a couple busses before we got there because the driver was on lunch. We got to the resort and went to grab a ferry to Downtown Disney. We missed the first Ferry because my husband wanted to refill his resort cup. We waited 40 minutes for a second ferry. We got there about 1:30. 2 and a half hours to get from a park to downtown Disney via the transportation. After lunch the thought of fighting transportation to try for more time in the parks before we were supposed to meet the family for dinner again made us decide to give up on the day at the parks. So we wasted a full day on 2 hours.
We got back to the room after dinner with the family and the toilets worked fine, for an hour or two, and then were malfunctioning again.
Monday we park hopped from Magic Kingdom to Epcot, and met up with a sister in law at Saratoga Springs for dinner- once again we waited 45 minutes for a bus from outside Hollywood Studios. (We’d walked from Epcot across the Boardwalk to Hollywood Studios and caught the bus there without entering the parks) We’d debated going back out to Hollywood studios for the extended magic hours, but the weather was bad enough we decided to stay in.
Tuesday we spent waiting at the resort to hear from a manager. Finally we ended up speaking to Louis, who was not the manager we would have preferred to speak with, however, he was the one available at 10:30. We had been advised that we may speak with either Kyle or Val, and have not been contacted by either one at this time.
Louis did offer us 3 days in the future plus tickets, but we asked for our money back. At this time none of the refunds have posted to my account despite Louis telling me that the money would be returned immediately.
We honeymooned at Caribbean Beach. Everyone in my husband’s family has annual passholder tickets, and several are vacation club members. We know this is not the Disney Standard; we both have worked customer service, and have made it a point to be gracious about everything despite the challenges that were given to us. I know former resort cast members and have tried to make things as easy as possible for our cast members, and thank them personally for doing a good job. Unfortunately at this time I feel cheated by Disney, and am highly disappointed by the lack of urgency in resolving issues for us.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
11 Thank Heather H
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We usually stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge, but because we were traveling with family who didn't want to spend that much we picked the Port Orleans Riverside. The property is huge and very spread out. I would stay as close to the lobby as possible. The vending machines are few and far between, so unless you are near the lobby it is a trek to get a snack or drink. The rooms are nice, we upgraded to a 'Royal Suite' which was not worth the extra money. My brother and his family had a regular room that was nice and cost less per night. I shop Disney for all of their booking discounts so I can usually find a room at a deluxe resort for about the same amount of money. One of the drawbacks of the value and moderate resorts are rooms that open to the outdoors. The deluxe resorts open into a hallway inside the resort. This is one of the reasons that we usually stay at AKL. Oh and being from Louisiana I was disappointed with the "Cajun" food offered at this resort.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank AAA-Deltachic
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I know Disney properties are super expensive and you are paying for the experience. This hotel is definitely worth it! For some reason, this hotel is considered "mid-level" and is usually less expensive than its Port Orleans counterpart (French Quarter). I don't know why because I would stay here again in a heartbeat.
First, the property is beautiful. We stayed in the Royal Rooms in Magnolia Bend. We never made it over to Alligator Bayou so I cannot comment on that section but the Magnolia section is just gorgeous. The buildings are modeled after southern style plantations of the old south. The grounds are kept immaculate with clean landscaping and blooming crepe myrtles everywhere. Walking around this property, across the foot bridges that span the river (more about that later), I honestly felt like I was in a different place and time, or maybe in a movie!
There are smaller and quieter pools in between buildings and then a large pool in the center of the resort (I believe there are 5 total pools). If you have kids, the main pool is great with constant activities for them such as trivia, games, and singing. There is even a wading pool for the really young ones and a water slide for kids of all ages. A playground is right across from the pool and an arcade in the main building. They had movies on the lawn every night... you get the picture, tons for kids to do, if taking a break from the parks.
One of the best features of this hotel, in my opinion, is that it is directly on the river and you can travel to Downtown Disney by ferry boat- a relaxing and scenic ride (about 20 minutes).
The Royal Rooms are decorated so cute! They are standard size but Disney really went the extra mile in the details of the decor. The food court is nice with a lot of choices (i.e. bakery, sandwiches, pizzas, salads, etc.) and the food was good. The only downside is that the food and drinks are very expensive, it was a bit of a shock when we saw our bill, but that is to be expected with Disney, I guess.
If you've researched this hotel you have probably seen other comments about how far everything is. That's true, this hotel is very spread out so if you don't like walking, you may want to consider that. Personally, I didn't mind but that's me.
All in all, if you know you want to stay on Disney grounds but don't want to spend your mortgage payment on the premium hotels like the Contemporary or Animal Kingdom Lodge, I would check this place out. We will certainly stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: The river view rooms are nice but probably not worth the extra cost unless the view is super importa...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank VegasGirl118
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

We lined the look of this resort . It was a beautiful piece of property. The room was bigger then expected however, their was feq drawers to put out clothes away. Everything was out of place around the room all week! The resort was way too big for our liking but very well kept and beautiful . We were in building 25 near the west bus stop but very far from main pool and food court . Signs in resort were very confusing. Overall we liked the resort but our mouse keeping did nothing special for us all week;(

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Elizzy1114
Mount Juliet, Tennessee
Reviewed July 29, 2013

First things first, it's Disney, so the bar is high to start with. We enjoyed the hotel grounds and the wonderful pool. The watercraft rentals are a plus and the water taxi to downtown Disney is a great plus. The restaurant was average and served me a rare pork chop which was not good. The rooms were small and a bit worn for the price of a moderate resort. My least favorite aspect was the bus ride back and forth to the parks, these seemed to take forever.

That said, we would return to this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank HardKnocksOwner
New Windsor, New York
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Port Orleans Riverside was recommended to me by my sister who has stayed there just about every year for the past 6 + years. We took a vacation to include my husband, 3 children (4 1/2 years old and 2 almost 3 year old twins), our nanny, and my parents. I was very optimistic with the resort when we first arrived. At 8 am our room was ready! We were very excited to drop off our things and head to Magic Kingdom. However, once we saw the room we were very disappointed. First, we asked for an adjoining room so that the children could flow freely between our room and our nanny's room. We were told that the room was adjoining only to find out that it was just next to each other with no interior access. When I called the front desk to inquire about this, they told me that is what they considered adjoining.... Then when I went to open the refrigerator to place my children's milk inside there was a sign on it that it was out of service and that we were not to plug it in. So I called the front desk again and they said it was a resort wide problem when I explained that I had little children they told me that they would be right over with a replacement refrigerator. I explained that we were headed to the park and they said that they would leave it in the room "magically" while we were out. Well, when we returned at 8pm... the magic never occurred, they never changed out our refrigerator. By this time, my nanny's room was ready and when we went inside, her refrigerator was also broken. I called the front desk again, this time unable to contain my annoyance, and they assured me that they would put in an order again and that it would arrive shortly. At this point, I told them to hold off on my room and only to deliver to my nanny's room because we put my children to sleep and didn't want them to be disturbed. Well, at 10:15pm, there was a rapping on the door and low and behold it was the refrigerator delivery. My husband explained to them that the children were asleep and that we didn't want them disturbed... so they brought it into my nanny's room.
To add insult to injury... after I made the 8:00pm phone call to the front desk, I went over to check on my parents who were in the next building over. (We were in building 16, they were in 18) and to my shock, unlike our room, hers was BEAUTIFUL... and it had an interior door to the adjoining room AND a working refrigerator. I was LIVID. I went with my nanny to the front desk to complain and not only did they not offer me anything for my inconvenience, the manager on duty didn't even put my complaint in the notes for the people on duty to know what was going on. Her name was Raquel. When I explained to them that I was lied to about the refrigerator and the adjoining rooms, they told me.."oh we are sorry, we call that at Disney "connecting rooms." When I explained that I made the reservations 6 MONTHS ago, I stated that I wished to have adjoining rooms so they children could move between my room and the nanny's,they told me that would be available at check in. When I mentioned about the refrigerator that was "magically" working in my parents room, they said, that might have been a room that they got to fix. I know things happen, and nothing is perfect, however, it has always been my impression that the one thing that makes Disney stand out is there customer service and the guarantee that customers will have a magical experience. Port Orleans Riverside was ANYTHING but MAGICAL. Think twice before booking here. We were in room 1613.. that also had an empty skoal container greeting us on our sink when we arrived. Really can't make it up.

Room Tip: DO not book room 1613 and rooms near the west bus stop are better for those wanting to go to the mag...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank Janet W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside? Share your experiences!