“Great Family Resort”

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Ranked #92 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We spent a week at Port Riverside and enjoyed every minute. The grand kids loved the pool, 'Ole Man Island'. Very good meals in the cafeteria. Used the dining plan and had plenty to choose from for any meal. Free boat to Downtown Disney. Buses to all Disney World parks. Rooms were great. A pull-out for our youngest traveler and 2 queen beds in each room. So clean! At breakfast one morning, we saw an employee examining chairs, tables, and benches for ripped upholstery and scratches, items you probably would not notice. He pulled them off the floor for refurbishing. Amazing the care all employees give the visitors and the property. Used the laundry several times. Washer and dryer a little small and each load $2. Great visit!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (8,848)

Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside for three nights. We have previously stayed at All Star Movies, All Star Sports, Pop Century and Caribbean Beach. I think I would rather stay at one of the Value resorts than this property. The building layout is very confusing and the whole place is not easy to navigate. One wrong turn and it will take you another 10 minutes to find your building. Our room was a hefty walk from the parking lot and if you drove and parked in the parking lot there were no carts to help you with luggage. Whoever laid out this place must have a degree in Mass Confusion. The reviewer who said it took 4 adults 25 minutes to find their room and they were in the parking lot adjacent to it is absolutely correct!

The room was nothing special and no nicer than the ones at the Value resorts which cost less money.

1  Thank AbbyDCincinnati
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My husband, myself and two boys stayed at this hotel in April. We loved it! We had a room in Alligator Bayou. The room felt spacious and comfortable. The pool was a short walk away. My boys both loved the day time pool entertainment. I found the staff to be very accommodating. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank nickgid
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stayed at Riverside for 4 nights in April. The resort itself is well located and aesthetically pleasing. I have stayed at Disney previously at All-Star, Caribbean Beach and Coronado Springs. Probably my second favourite after Coronado.

While I had a lovely stay, there were a few hiccups by Disney, which were not so magical.

Check-In

Too good to be true. Short lines, moving quickly with happy staff dressed in character. The comes my turn, a manager steps in to assist with the flow of check-ins. The manager is in plain business attire. Now granted this is picky, but it is Disney darn it! Just because I am a 20-something with no children, doesn't mean I don't want magic! Young professionals need an escape too. So this manager clearly hasn't worked on the front-line for a while. Slow, clumsy and our split tender ends up being both charged full price (paid x2 for our stay up front). The money would take several days to land back into our respective accounts. While this wasn't the end of the world, it was an annoyance, as I had set-up direct deposits for all my bills while I was travelling abroad. I had to spend my first hour at Disney ensuring my personal matters were taken care of (thank goodness for wifi)

The Grounds

So after our less than magical check-in experience, I went over to my room. I was situated in Parterre Place which are lovely, white, manor style accommodations. I was overlooking the courtyard garden and fountain. Parterre Place is a short walk, across the river bridge to the main reception and bus stop. It was visually, my favourite 'themed' section of the resort. The grounds of the resort are well kept and themed to a high standard.

The Room

I stayed in a Royal Guest Room, which I highly recommend. The extra attention to detail adds to the Magical experience. The Royal Guest Rooms were good value for the price. However, the facilities are starting to wear (skirting boards chipped, bathroom tiles dirty). I think the rooms definitely need a spruce and a good spring clean to bring them back to their best! Mousekeeping is not always enough to keep these rooms at the standard guests expect.

The Bus

Oh the bus. A lot of older couples tending to be staying at the Orleans properties. There are a lot of people with Scooters. Families with young children were not always afforded a seat on the buses. No issue for me, however, boarding took a long time at this resort.

The Luggage Situation

My last evening at Disney, I return to my room after a massive day at Animal Kingdom. What do I find? A couples' luggage had been incorrectly placed in our room! The couple had boarded the Magic Express and somehow, their luggage was now in my room. I felt quite bad as I had been away from the resort for over 8 hours - I do feel for that poor couple that was without their own possessions. So I called up front desk, and asked them to collect the luggage. Unfortunately, I had to be present when the luggage was picked up (I was given a 1 - 2 hour time frame). But, of course staff could enter my room during the day when I wasn't present to incorrectly dump a poor, unsuspecting couples' stuff in my room! Because of this, I missed out on attending the Fireworks at Magic Kingdom. Really put a dampener on the end of the stay.

While the resort was lovely, my room was good value for money, I find that two hiccups from Disney aren't acceptable. I am a seasoned, traveller, I know things happen - but the way Disney handled both incidents was a watershed moment. I have stayed at absolute dumps (with language barriers!) that provide a more genuine customer service experience. It seems that when these hiccups occur the resorts are too big to be effectively managed. I come from Australia, every year to Disney (30 hours of travelling). Over the last 10 years, I have without hesitation always stayed at Disney, however I am now weighing up my options for accommodation in Orlando. I don't feel loyal customers are provided any extra value in their Disney experience. If only loyal customers were given the same 'recognition' as a 1st time visitor!

Room Tip: Spend the extra money on a Royal Guest Room
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Meljadeb
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at PO, Riverside! The grounds were beautiful, everyone was so nice. We stayed in room 9791 which is a Royal Guest Room. The room was perfect. We loved the beautiful fireworks on the headboard. My husband and I, along with our two little girls, had a blast! This was my first time to Disney as well as our children's first visit. The first 3 days we had cute "towel critters" waiting for us but as the week went on we did not have any more. But that is a small thing and something I would not even complain about. The pools were great! We ate breakfast, dinner and snacks in the Riverside Mill. Every meal we had was very good. I recommend the pasta bar and salad. You don't actually make your own but you choose your own ingredients. The portions are large and the flavor delicious!!! The Mickey waffle is so yummy as well!! There is a lot of walking but as I quickly found out and expected, you are already walking several miles a day so it was not a big deal. We arrived on Sunday June 2 and never got back in our vehicle until we left for home on June 7th. We used the busses, boat and the monorail at the parks. I could just go on and on about this place. We will be back!! Beautiful Place!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a Royal Guest Room
1  Thank SCTraveling4
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I read previous reviews, some of which complained about various aspects of this resort, but frankly I couldn’t find a thing wrong.

Our room was in the Alligator Alley section. We had requested a Preferred Location since it was an equivalent value to the King Bed room we paid for. They were not able to give us a room in the preferred buildings (closer to Lobby/Food Court), but we were still very close and perhaps had to walk 2 minutes to get to the Food Court. We were given a corner room with two windows, river view, on the first floor. I just don’t think you do much better.

The bed was comfortable, the double sinks in the bath helped out in the mornings, the shower head and water pressure was great, and having a small refrigerator was a real bonus. We had a quiet pool a short walk away and spent some relaxing time there after walking the Disney parks all day.

I highly recommend purchasing the “counter service” meal plan which includes two meals and a snack per person per day. It was plenty of food. In fact, we took a pizza with us as we checked out in order to use up the credits. Do a little research and you can turn this package into a real value by choosing the right places to eat. The Food Court was a convenient backup when we didn’t want to eat in the parks or Downtown Disney. This package also includes the free drink refill cups that cost $15 if you buy them outside of a package.

Transportation on the buses was workable at all times. Sometimes you had to wait, sometimes you didn’t. It was amazing how quickly they got us back to the room after leaving Epcot at the end of the fireworks show. Three buses were at the pickup spot. There is also a boat dock at the resort that takes you to Downtown Disney. That was an extremely pleasant way to go back and forth.

The staff was just what you’d expect from Disney. Someone was there to answer questions at all times. If you are in the market for a moderate price resort at Disney, this is it. I’ve stayed in the Value resorts and one of the upper end hotels and this resort just seems to be the best for me.

Room Tip: Building 27 is a great location
1  Thank Flash F
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This is a moderate Disney property. Rooms were clean but not large. We traveled with my sister and her family and had connecting rooms, which helped a bit. We were in the Alligator Bayou section, which was quite a distance from the main building. It is worth it to upgrade to be closer to the main buildings, especially after the first couple of days when you have walked your tail off at the theme parks.
The grounds are very well kept and there is lots of vegetation.
Disney's bus service to and from the parks was very efficient.
Food at the food court was good. Would have liked to eat at the sit down restaurant but even at 830pm, we were told there was a 45 minute wait. I do think Disney needs to do something about their dining options. I don't like my vacations to be structured all day every day, but if you want to eat at a sit down restaurant, with table service, you need advance reservations.

Room Tip: Get a room closer to the main building.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank JillySTC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Pop Century Resort
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside? Share your experiences!