“Much better than expected, but not a fan of the buses.”

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Ranked #89 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
Van Buren, Arkansas
“Much better than expected, but not a fan of the buses.”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I had low expectations of the rooms at Port Orleans Riverside based on the pictures I had seen and from a previous stay at the All-Star Music Resort. We stayed in the Alligator Bayou section because we had 2 adults and 3 children. We upgraded to a river view room, and it was well worth it. Everything we needed was a very short walk away. I thought the room would be too rustic, but you barely even notice it. The room was very clean. The pull down bed was big enough for our 12 year old who is about 54 inches tall. The food court offered a nice selection and everything that we tried we enjoyed. I don't think I would spend the extra money next time to stay on Disney. The buses never worked out for us. We would sit at the bus stop and watch 2 or 3 of the same bus show up before ours arrived. When we finally got on the bus we had to stop at some of the other depots before we made our way to the park. Some of the days we just drove to the parks since parking is free for resort guests. Also the extra Magic Hours didn't seem to help out. The lines were still really long during those hours.

6 Thank VB_Family_5

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,169)
  • Hebrew first
cleveland
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I went with my two daughters (one 15, the other 6) and a friend of the older daughter March 19-24. We booked the trip with AAA which did save us some money. I investigated the options and prices on the Disney website and then compared them with the AAA agent. I did make a mistake though. I had originally decided to stay 'off-campus', bought my park tickets with AAA, and then switched to the 'on-campus' resort. My mistake was that you cannot purchase a dining plan option unless you buy a park ticket at the same time, so I did lose money by not having everything well thought out.

The resort grounds were very pleasing to the eye; it reminded me of walks in South Carolina. Everything was very well kept and clean, and their were staff working on the grounds much of the time. We were close enough to two pool areas. One being more quiet and serene, the other "mud hole' was more active, had cast members playing games over a microphone, water slide, hot tub and bar. My older daughter chose the quieter option during the day which was fine with me. We only really experienced pool life one day due to going to parks and many rain showers.

We rented the quadricycle and rode around the grounds for a few laps. A nice little exercise and fun for everyone.

The food court area was fine. There were enough options to keep everyone pleased. It wasn't gourmet...salads, pasta, soups and sandwiches and pretty hearty breakfasts. Staff was friendly and helpful with questions regarding the dining plan. I think they did play some rambunctious New Orleans type music on the hour trying to get people in the spirit of things in the morning. Could appeal to some, and perhaps bother others. Same type of loud spirit motivating (or not) behavior over the loudspeaker in the bar area at night.

We stayed in a Royal Room for a little more which had the princess theme decorations. My daughter did enjoy having that added touch. It was a little cramped for the four of us in this space, but we didn't spend enough time in the room to bother us. The lady who cleaned the room provided 'towel animal decorations' which did delight my daughter as well. There is a small refrigerator in the room if you did want to keep beverages of any sort stored there. In other reviews people complained about the walking distance, but it didn't seem to bother our age group. Beds were very comfortable.

The gift shop was nicely stocked had some snack items for purchase which the girls did take advantage of. I also saw that there was a variety of alcoholic beverages as well. Staff was friendly.

We had signed up for early arrival, and our room was ready. Staff at front desk was courteous, but not overly friendly.

Wi-fi everywhere free of charge. If there was a gym available, didn't see it on the map or in person. Good trails for jogging.

Great place for families. Don't recommend for business travelers.

Room Tip: Definitely look at the map before you request a room. Your preferences to be close to a pool, the b...
5 Thank toomuchsnowhere
Charlestown, Maryland
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My wife discovered this place and we have returned multiple times - for us the price gets you the most bang for the buck. This isn't a five star resort, it's Disney for gosh sakes. We try now to get a room close to a pool so that when we are all themed parked out we still have something to entertain the kids that's close to their beds. Staying at a Disney resort gives you the opportunity to get to the parks an hour before it's open to the general public in the morning- this is a real advantage if you know where you want to go and do not want to wait for hours in line with an overdone 3 - 5 year old. The buses from Riverside to the parks are frequent and relatively quick. They have lots of activities at night for the kids (and the “grumps”) – the piano guy is a big hit with my kids, they show outdoor movies almost every night (or at least every night our kids wanted to watch one), they have access to fishing and boating if you want, and like I mentioned before small pools by the rooms and larger ones centrally located for the kids to really go wild – plus they have a bar, what more could dad ask for?

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Geoffrey D
Palm Coast, Florida
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We've just returned from a 2 night stay at Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside. While not the most elegant and luxurious of hotels, the fact that once we parked our car and didn't have to drive to any parks or Downtown Disney was a huge bonus.

Rooms- are small but clean (we stayed in Alligator Bayou - bldg 39, right across from pool #3.) and bathrooms are very tiny. Housekeeping was very good at cleaning and refreshing the room while we were away at the park, but I did notice that one of my jewelry pendents was missing upon returning from the park - it was in an enclosed box in my suitcase so no possible way for it to have 'slipped' out, so I do believe it was stolen. I should have used the in room safe.
The grounds are quite sprawled out but we only had about a 5 minute walk from our room to the main building, though catching the ferry to Downtown Disney was a little bit of a trek - but still convenient and a nice relaxing ride. I could see it being a bit of a hike for those staying elsewhere in the resort.

Pool - While we did not have an opportunity to use the pool, it was very clean and kept so by staff who were out early every morning cleaning.

Food - was OK. Nothing spectacular, but decent. We only ate at the quick service court as Boatwrights restaurant was closed by the time we returned from the park around 10:15 p.m.
Food in the Quick Service area still a bit pricey, paying around $60 for 4 people to eat - but the dining area was never really crowded..Avoid Fulton's General Store unless you don't mind paying $8.00 for a six pack of can soda, bring your own and take advantage of the in-room fridge.

Transportation - on our first evening at the resort, we took the Ferry to Downtown Disney. it was a bit of a walk to get to the Ferry, but once there, we only waited about 15 minutes before one was available. Only a 5 minute wait on the return trip. Buses to the parks leave from 4 separate locations from the resort, all dedicated to a single park. We caught the bus to the Magic Kingdom at 8:20 a.m.- not crowded at all and were at the main gate before it opened at 9. On the return trip, the buses were very crowded, packing all of us on like sardines - standing room only basically, but still the return ride was quick and far more convenient than driving to and from the Parks ourselves.

Staff - was very friendly and helpful. Always ready to answer any questions you may have or direct you to the right bus stops and ferry locations. Just be sure to lock up your valuables in your in-room safe while you are away, or housekeeping may help themselves.

Overall - while this was our very first time staying on Disney property, I was a little disappointed- I had expected just a little more from a Disney resort. The bus ride to and from the parks were convenient, as was the ferry transport to Downtown Disney, but for the price and level of service, I am positive we could do a whole lot better staying off-site.

3 Thank PCGirl11
Richmond Hill, Canada
Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is our first trip to Walt Disney World. We wanted to stay within Disney for convenience. They have shuttle services to all the theme parks and Downtown Disney. We decided to stay in POR for the price and the Royal Guest Room. The Royal Guest Rooms were renovated in 2012 and my little one likes princess.

The resort is beautifully located along Sassagoula River. The room is nicely decorated and clean. The beds are comfortable. My 3-year-old daughter really enjoys the special "firework" effect from the headboards.

We stayed in a standard room (furthest to the food court and bus stop). It took more than 5-minutes to walk to the food court and bus stop. Pay more to get the riverside room if you want to be closer to everything.

One area for improvement would be sound-proof. We could hear someone flushing the toilet or taking a shower in the room next to us.

POR is a huge resort with a lot of guests. The line-up for the shuttle bus was long. Sometimes, we had to wait for the 3rd bus in order to board (especially coming back from a theme park in the evening). Disney was doing their best to arrange more buses for POR so it was not that bad.

Overall, I would say it is a good resort for the price we paid and we enjoy our stay in POR.

5 Thank YippyFamily
Iowa
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We just returned from the three night stay at Port Orleans Riverside, which we chose based on Trip Adviser reviews. Overall, the stay was fair. It was our first time staying at a Disney resort, and it certainly is nice to not have to worry about parking, etc, though the shuttles do take awhile to get around and can be crowded (though we never had to wait more than 5-10 minutes for one to pick us up). The room was okay--bedding was mediocre and pillows were poor. The room cleaning was quite poor--our trash was not emptied and the glasses were not even changed out after my mom mixed her medimeucil in one. The coffee maker still had the old coffee in it from the last guest and coffee mate instead of half and half. I tried taking a bath and the water temp did not get above warm. The food court was middling if you are health-conscious or at all gourmet (should be good if you like a lot of greasy, fried fare and gigantic portions!). The only yogurt on offer is that stuff with aspartame in it and the "espresso" is not real. They do offer a salad option where you choose what you want and someone tosses it for you which was pretty good with fairly nice greens. The grounds of the hotel are lovely and the pool is nice. My husband wanted to ask a question and waited in line for 45 minutes for the concierge at 7:00 am on the day we left and finally gave up, so it seems the desk could be better staffed, though all "cast members" were friendly and very helpful when we did talk to them. We also waited about 40 minutes to catch the boat to Downtown Disney in the evening, just to warn you. Allow time for that if hungry. On the plus side, it was very quiet.

2 Thank IowaBluebird
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We spent two weeks here last April. We loved it. It was a busy time at Disney but we never felt rushed or busy at this resort. The property is beautiful and the room was very comfy and quiet (a nice surprise for a place with so many kids). The kids loved the "Royal" room. The pool on Old Man's Island is great, and the food court has a good varitey. We rented the small speed boats one day and travelled down the river to downtown disney, and another day we rented bicycles and toured around the resort. This is a great place to stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Corinne P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside? Share your experiences!