“Beautiful Disney Resort”

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Ranked #94 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My family and I recently stayed at Riverside for four nights. Check in was easy, especially since I already checked in online days before; the line for the regular check in was wrapped around the lobby. Room was on the larger side, two queen beds and a pull out little kid size bed. Parking was easy and plentiful. Lots of walking, but the place is beautiful. Kids loved the pool, fishing hole and the arcade. We ate at Boatwrights a couple of nights for dinner, not very good. The food court had a good variety of meals and snacks. Disney transportation to the parks was very easy, the bus was never very crowded.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank mo2flk
Write a ReviewReviews (8,853)

Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was our first stay at a Disney Resort. We upgraded to a "preferred" building (27) that was close to the food court, and Riverside attractions. The grounds of the resort are beautiful and very clean. The room is a little larger than a standard hotel room size. We requested a pull down kids bed that my 7 year old son loved! This is a large resort, with many Disney transportation stops. Pools are just a short walk from every building at Riverside. The main pool and playground are next too the food court. We enjoyed our stay, and would recommend Port Orleans Riverside to friends.

Room Tip: Pay a little more for the preferred buildings. It allowed us to be a short walk to everything River...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank wvguy22
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My first time staying on a disney resort as I stayed in a villa before, however this is the way to go.

Room: We had our room in the Magnolia Terrace which was near to the quiet pool, not too far from the car park and East Depot and less than 5 mins walk to the food court. The room was big enough for the three of us but not for five. We found enough space to empty our cases and put them in different corners not to be used until it was time to repack. Beds were comfortable, bathroom fine and we had enough towels and amenities. Two problems we could hear the toilet being flused at night which I always hear about 2am and only once for the night (strange) our Mousekeeper needs a tip on how to clean a room. I had to complain however nothing was done.

Food court: We were on the disney dining plan, choices were limited for us after two weeks. ate out a numberof times as was a bit tired of the offerings here. We were always able to find a seat and it was busy.
DPOR needs to revise the method they use in getting our food. We join the line for one thing however if you wanted a starter or dessert its another long line, which makes your food cold or your dessert hot. Waited half an hour for my pasta your way. Breakfast was much better.
Try going to get dinner before 6pm much calmer.

Pool: Well managed, number of lifeguards on duty at all times. Area clean and a joy to sit around.

Staff: Wow I really believe that the walt disney staff customer service is second to none. And this is the same at the DPOR. They were friendly, knowledgeable and did there best to accomodate us.

I do not know what the luxury hotels are like but I am very happy with the Disney Port Orleans and believe it is a VERY good moderate hotel.

5  Thank Ladylor3
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband and I are Florida Resident Annual Passholders for Disney and we absolutly love The Mouse. We try to get up to Disney every few months. We have stayed at a bunch of different on-site resorts including The Allstars (once) and Coronado Springs, but we mostly choose to stay at the Hiltons in Bonnet Creek or Downtown Disney and now I remember why.

I enjoy being immeresed in the experience. I like to park my car in the parking lot and just let Disney do all the thinking and work re: getting me from place to place. I also enjoy staying in what I call the "Disney Bubble" so on this trip we decided to give a Disney Resort another try.
I just want to share a little about the mentality behind our decision to choose Port Orleans Riverside.
We stayed at All Stars once as a couple and I have stayed at the All Stars a few other times either on a solo trip or with family and as a couple we just decided it is not for us. Mostly the reason behind this is because we both just dont fit into a double bed comfortably and to get a king at the Values you have to get a handicap accessable room and we just dont like the bathroom set up of an accesible room. Also big groups tend to stay here like tour groups and cheerleaders ect and it's just a bit too much for us.

We have also stayed at Coronado and I enjoy this resort, the beds are super comfy and the resort is pretty quiet, we just have 1 exception, the quick service restaurant inside closes early (since its more a table service/quick service) and we like to be able to swing by late at night for a snack.
So we were thinking about staying at another Moderate Resort and when I saw Riverside just upgraded their rooms to Queen beds we decided it would be neat to see a new hotel.

Check in was great, we drove up after work on a Sunday night and arrived at the hotel around 6-6:30pm. We did on-line check in and there was no one else in the loby. The cast member checking us in was on the International College Program and he was from Australia. He did a great job and I really liked him. He got us all checked in and before we headed back out to our car to find our room we toured the loby and outside area a bit. The themeing here is great and we were really impressed. We toured the quick service restaurant, took a peak into Boatwrights, did a bit of shopping in Fultons General store and saw the horses that pull the horse drawn carriages outside. Also took a look at the lounge and it seemed like a fun place, too bad Yehaw Bob wouldnt be performing durring our visit. I was very happy and excited to be here!!

We went back to the car and headed to our room. We were in Alligator Bayou room 2426. We found the parking lot and easily parked our car right up against the building it was just a few steps away from our room. Our room overlooked a courtyard with a pool however we could not see the pool through the dense landscaping, which was good I didnt want to have to see/hear a pool. So far so good! At this point its after 7pm and we have some dinner reservations in Downtown Disney at 8:40 so we need to get a move on! They just installed these electronic room keyes, kind of like a key fab where you just hold your key up to the door and it unlocks. Love it!!

We entered our room and at first glance thought it was very cute, great theming and decorations, and very clean, but those queen beds sure look small!! We also realized we were assigned a handicap accesible room. Uggghhh... why??? At this point we were tired from driving the last 3 hours and both working all day and we were hungry. I asked my husband if he minded it terribly and he said it wasn't ideal, but we were only there for two nights so we could deal, we just wanted to get to downtown Disney and feast!

We took a walk to the boat launch and it was about 5-7 minutes. The grounds were very nice and we said we wished we could have seen it durring the day. The line for the boats was VERY long but they kept sending boats every 10 minutes or so and within 30 minutes and 3 boats we were on our way. The ride to downtown disney is nice, again I wish we could have seen it durring the day, it is a little time consuming but thats par for the course re: Disney transportation. We also stoped at French Quarter to pick up some more folks on the way. It took us a little over an hour from our room to the dock at Downtown Disney.

After we were ready to leave downtown disney it wasnt quite 11:30 which was when the last boat left but we decided to take the bus. This was WAY faster. Our stop was the 1st stop (West Depot) and our room was very close to the stop. Score!! We were ready to settle in and rest up for our first big day at the parks tomorrow.

And this folks is where it all goes downhill unfortunatly.
The beds share 1 nighstand in between them. Hubby was getting over a cold and wanted to be able to have access to water/tissues so he asked to sleep on the side with the nighstand and I took the side next to the wall. I could barely fit between the wall and the bed to get in and out of bed. It was almost easier for me to crawl to the end of the bed to get in/out then try to squeeze along the wall. I also didnt have a place to plug up my phone on my side, or a place to keep water ect. so I had to keep leaning/crawling over hubby to get to stuff on the nightstand. This wasnt good because hubby is fast to fall alseep where I take a bit more time to settle down so I kept waking him up.

Also once we had all the lights off in the room and the blinds closed and curtains drawn it was still totally bright in our room. Between the light flooding in through the bottom of the curtains, the peep holes (we had two because it was handicap accesible room) and the fire alarm on the wall close to the ceiling right above where I was sleeping it was BRIGHT.

Then I kept hearing my neighbors toilets flushing through the walls.

Then the bed sagged so I kept sliding towards the middle of the bed. The sheets/blanket were not comfortable and the pillows were too bulky. I kept tossing and turning and finally after a few hours was able to fall asleep.

To be woken up to running children in the hallway at 6:30. Ughhh I felt like I had just fell asleep. I really started thinking about calling up the Hilton and seeing if they had any availability, but we had big plans for the day and I didnt want to waste valuable park time trying to pack up and switch hotels and fight to get a refund on the 2nd night at Port Orleans.

We started getting ready to go and realized with just 1 sink and the configuration of the sink it was really difficult. The sink was the kind you can roll a wheelchair under which made it very low and alot of counter space towards the front of the sink with the sink and faucet set really far back. We had to bend over and reach far to brush our teeth, wash face ect. and water would splash all over the sink counters. Also the room only had a shower, no tub.

We came back that night after our first full day in the parks, and I really missed having the tub. It would have have been nice to soak my aching feet in a hot tub.

Falling alseep was a bit easier that night, since we were so tired however when I woke up the next morning (again to running and yelling children) I realized that I could barely move. My left lower back had gone out, I remember when I was climbing into bed that night, I thought I had felt a tweak. I couldnt bend over and was really stiff. Using that sink was even more impossible this morning.

We packed up our stuff and headed out.

This hotel is beautiful, the theming is wonderful, the cast members are great, the rooms are clean, but the beds/room configuration just don't work for me.

Maybe I should have complained after the first night, or asked to get a king bed, or a non-hadicap accesible room. But I was busy, We had to make rope drop and get fast passes for Toy Story, we had dining reservations, I had a schedule to keep and not a minute could be spared. Point is I shouldnt have to complain.

From now on we will no longer be staying at any of the Value Hotels or Moderates and the Deluxe hotels are just highway robery as far as we are concerned. For just a few extra $ a night than a moderate, (sometimes even less) we can stay at one of the hiltons. Were children dont go screaming and running down the hallway, were we have fluffy down comforters and comfy pillows and a nice quiet, dark, comfy room.

It's such a shame too because I just would love to be able to stay on property and they do such a great job with the grounds it truly is such a gorgeous hotel. Bummer.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Stephanie G
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Just returned from a four-night stay at the Disney Port Orleans Riverside Resort. Having stayed at the All-Star Resorts, Caribbean Beach Resort, and Wilderness Campground, I was hopeful that a step up in price would provide a similar step up in amenities. For the most part, my wish was granted. The grounds were well-kept, the nightly entertainment in the piano bar was fun, and the food choices were adequate. My two complaints are that the beds were rock hard and the Port Orleans didn't appear to be close to any of the parks (something I should have researched in advance). In the end, we didn't spend much time at the resort--preferring to spend most of our time in the parks--so I don't have a lot to add. As my title states, it's a good, but not great hotel; which makes sense as you are paying for an upgraded, but not outstanding Disney Resort.

3  Thank Rick M
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Attractive hotel. Lovely, relaxing layout. Well kept. Good location for Disney. Nice food court. Was perfect for a family looking to reconnect or do the Disney thing.
Last Disney trip we stayed at the All Star Sports, this was a big step up. For a moderate resort it was beautiful. The refrigerators in each room were a plus, too. We requested adjoining rooms and we were all together. The kids loved the Murphy beds and the Mickey Mouse shampoo & conditioner holders.
The staff were all courteous and helpful. Boatwrights Resturant was a lovely dinner spot aftyer a long day at the parks.

Room Tip: We had a garden room in the Alligator Bayou. Bldg. #16. Far enough for peace & quiet but we had...
3  Thank romara711
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Have stayed here several times, rooms have been updated and felt clean, with fun whimsical bedspreads & pillows. We had a "prefered" building, it was close to the main building & bus stop. The food court had fresh/healthy choices along with waffles, egg choices,bakery for breakfast and pizza, burgers etc for the rest of the day. They also had a Little Freezer with MM icecream bars & other frozen treats ( a plus for me !!) Pool area had plenty of chairs, towels & bar served cold beer & fun frozen drinks.

Room Tip: Buildings 14,17 & 27 are the closest to main building & bust stop.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank PamelaM01
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Pop Century Resort
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside? Share your experiences!