“Loved it!!!”

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Ranked #97 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My family and I recently came to Disney for Christmas and my daughter's 10th birthday. This is the 3rd Disney hotel we have stayed at, and this was my favorite so far. I did the online check-in, so when we arrived before 11am, our room was ready. (That was great, because we had to get up at 3:30 to get to the airport!) The woman that checked us in seemed like a bit of a grump, but we saw her the next morning walking around, and that must just be her persona. We stayed in a royal room in the Parterre Place building. We were on the end, and I honestly didn't hear a peep the entire time of our stay. These rooms are beautiful! If you have a little princess, I highly recommend spending the extra money on one of these rooms. I honestly think we watched the fireworks on the headboard more than the fireworks at the parks!
I will warn you, this resort is huge! If you're young and able, it's not terrible, but I imagine an older person or slightly impaired individual will have a lot of issues staying here. The grounds of this resort are gorgeous. The morning we arrived they were re-sodding a section of grass on our route, and I was a little upset because I didn't want to have to watch this our entire stay. Much to my surprise, by the time we got back later in the day, they were done! There were rose gardens on the way to our room, and a beautiful fountain. It was truly a dream come true.
Housekeeping was great, we had no issues at all. On Christmas morning, she left a cute little handmade basket that looked like it was made out of a washcloth. It made my daughter's day even better.
I have to admit, I'm not too fond of the food court here, but we only ate there for one meal (besides grabbing a quick breakfast). We each got a free travel mug, so we refilled that several times throughout every day. I don't like the food court, but I love the restaurant here - Boatwright's Dining Hall. And if you ever stay here, I recommend you check out Yehaa Bob at the River Roost bar. He was one of the highlights of our trip! He sings and makes jokes, and gets the entire audience involved! I don't know how, but he also remembers the name of everyone. My daughter loved the show so much, on our last night there she wanted to see him again instead of going back to the parks for any fireworks! I can't say I was disappointed, the parks were crazy busy!
We had no problems at all with the bus service. You just have to be prepared to wait when you're at Disney World. You need to plan ahead, and don't leave just enough time to get somewhere - you will be late! We would leave at least an hour and a half before any dinner reservations and had no problems. And I don't remember waiting more than 10 minutes for any bus the entire time we were there. One small problem we had was with the boat that takes you to Downtown Disney wasn't running a couple of times when we wanted to take a little ride. We were sick of riding buses, and wanted a little change of pace.
Overall, if you don't mind walking and love taking in beautiful scenery, this is the place for you. This will be our place from now on!

9  Thank jaimieb822
Write a ReviewReviews (9,015)

Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay at the Riverside. The pools were enjoyable. The cafeteria was clean and the staff were helpful. Very easy access to the attractions. The major negative was the wifi. The wifi was unreliable and if working was terribly slow.

• Stayed: December 2012
16  Thank 8MichiganMan8
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I loved the Southern Plantation look of the resort. The grounds are lush and flowers are beautiful. The ferry to downtown Disney is always a welcome time to relax and just take in the magnificant views of Disney grounds. The rooms are spacious, clean and very comfortable. My only complaint is the resort is enormous so make sure you wear your walking shoes. :)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Stacy D
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Being at Disney is awesome, but after a super long day of lots of walking, you'd like to not be right on top of one another. We stayed in Alligator Bayou, this resort is the only moderate that accepts parties of 5. It's an average sized room which makes for a tight squeeze for a family of 5. The one thing they have done is added Murphy beds instead of roll always. This is nice but it causes less storage. The only drawers available were under the murphy bed, they were 3 very small drawers. Nowhere near the amount needed for a party of 5 staying for a week. We lived out of our suitcases. Another negative about the room is the bathroom. There are double vanities behind a curtain but the toilet and shower room are tiny, you can hardly spread out to dry off after a shower.
The pool at this resort is great. The kids loved all the water features and slide. The closed pool times are not enforced but lifeguards do leave at pool closing times. The grounds of the resort are gorgeous and well maintained but it's easy to get lost on the many trails if you don't tote around your map. We did like the fact that there were several bus stops throughout the property.
POR has 2 places to eat. The Mill has your average food court feel and the same foods as most Disney resort food courts. There is also a table service restaurant called Boatwrights. POR also has an adult only lounge area with nightly piano bar. The arcade is like all the rest of the Disney resort arcades.
Having stated at several Disney resorts, this one will only be chosen by us again if we need the room for 5.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to busses and main lobby if you intend on eating breakfast at the resort. If yo...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Disney always has great resorts, no matter the price point. Clean, neat, beautiful grounds, you will never regret staying on property! Staff is always friendly and accommodating. Grounds are very spread out, lots of walking but that goes with the package with Disney, bring comfy shoes!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from main road and parking lots, much better views, and quieter.
6  Thank RaspberryMojito
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Family and I stayed at Port Orleans ~ Riverside thru Christmas. We had a flight delay that caused us to have to cancel our dining reservation, Disney was very accommodating and gladly helped us cancel and put the credit back on our meal plan. (HIGHLY recommend using the dining plan.)

We checked in Christmas day, which took a while, but our cast member was friendly while during so. The room was nice, clean and enough space to put your luggage up. The safe was a bit small, and the bathroom felt very dark, but it's just a room, the time is really for the parks. Was quite a far walk as we were in the back of the Magnolia section. I'd ask for a preferred room!

The dining area always went smoothly. There was so many choices! My mother and I loved the pasta bar.

The grounds are immaculate and all the pools are beautiful. Didn't spend much time in them because of the December weather, but there were lifeguards on hand and lots of seating area.

I would definitely recommend this hotel. We'll be coming back in June to stay in the Royal Guest rooms. ~Magical!~

2  Thank k_g_000
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Because the 4 Disney World parks are spread over a distance, it is important to choose your Disney World hotel with care. This hotel is very centrally located, so it didn't take long to get to any of the parks. It was great amenities and a good selection of dining experiences.

16  Thank Regina D