“Can't wait to go back”

Hard Rock Hotel at Universal Orlando
Ranked #41 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 12, 2011

This is the third time we've stayed at the Hard Rock and we will do so again. It is the closest walk (5 minutes) to Universal and Islands of Adventure.
The room comes with the express pass to all the rides in the park except for Universal's Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit Rollercoaster and HP and the Forbidden Journey . But if you book any of the 3 hotels on site, you get in to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter- and all it's shops and rides- an hour before the park opens. You get a lot more time on the rides with the express pass. It is a wonderful perk. Hard Rock also sells park tickets for a small discount.

The hotel has a a great coffee/icecream place. The Kitchen restaurant has good food too but we usually enjoy City Walk for dinner.

If you have kids and need some down time in the evening, the hotel has movie nights at the pool and you can have a drink at the outside bar. You don't have to have kids to watch the movie, but they are kids movies:) There's also ping pong and other activities.

The staff is helpful and friendly. The rooms are nice and modern. There is a coffee machine but no refrigerator. The beds are comfortable but not memorable. You have to pay for the fitness center if you stay in a regular room. However, one can run in the area between the parks and the hotel. It's a great place to stay!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (9,099)

Reviewed February 10, 2011

Stayed at the HR for benefits to take in Harry Potter at Islands of Adventure. The perks were definitely a plus. I would stay on the Universal Grounds again, just for the early admission, express passes, etc. The HR was fine... no more, no less. The hot tubs close early, so by the time we got the kids to bed (my mother in law was staying with us and was happy to stay with the kids), the hot tub was closed or very closed to closing. Additionally, the pool wasn't open one day, because they said the temp was too cold. People, on cold days, the pools actually feel warmer!! Anyway, my kids were disapointed that the pools never seemed to be opened. I did find the music everywhere a bit annoying, as well.

Will stay onsite at Universal again, but will likely move to the Portofino and try that one out!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ajtat
Reviewed February 10, 2011

We made a reservation the same day for two nights, as we were already in Florida for family business, and had some extra time. The reservation process was not great. We wanted the "Harry Potter Package" for two nights and knew from web research that it was possible. However, when I called, I was told that we needed to reserve a four night package. Since we were not interested in four nights, I asked if we could just reserve a room for two nights and we would buy our park tickets separately. I was told there was no availability. Of course I promptly logged onto the internet and reserved a room for two nights.

Checking in was a breeze and we walked right over to guest services to buy tickets to Islands of Adventure for the next morning. We ended up with a really nice room with a window seat and a view of the lagoon. That evening we went to the bar to watch the super bowl. The set-up was great with big screen TVs everywhere. (The Chinese chicken salad was fantastic.)

The next morning (after a wake-up call by The Red Hot Chili Peppers), we took advantage of going to Islands of Adventure the 1 hour early that is a great perk for staying at a hotel on site at Universal Studios. (They also include the option for express lines-you only need to show your room key to take advantage of this.) Since we only had a few hours, it was well worth it. We ended up leaving early due to a funeral. Checkout was easy and we were not charged for our second night. (Lots of big hotels will still charge you if you check out early and they did-no questions asked!!)

The decor is all music oriented- there is a great display of performer's shoes in the lobby and our room was decorated with black and white photos of the Beatles. We loved it and think it is worth the extra expense if you want to go to the theme parks early.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2011

Very modern hotel stayed in Nov 2010 forgot to review. Front desk was very accomodating and very nice. Arrived early morning so room wasn't ready. They gave me use of the gym locker room. It was spacious, clean, showers, changing room, amneties to use I was impressed. As I was getting ready for our day in the park They called me to let me know my room was ready wow I thought that was quick. Recieved key to room and ventured upstairs elevators were fast room was immaculate. ipod dock, flat tv, 1 cup coffe maker. Beds were comfortable, bathroom was spacious. I loved this hotel. Water taxi or walk to park very convenient aside from awesome 1 hour entry into park b4 reg guest. and unlimited rides oh that was worth the price of the hotel in itself. for onsite park entrace stay left they have special entry for hotel guests as the line starts to build up for reg guests trying to get to harry potter. 1 hour for hotel guest into harry potter area is a must. Pool was nice and had a seperate whirlpool for adults. They also play movies poolside. I wished I had stayed there longer. (2 nights :()

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed February 5, 2011

My husband and I came to Orlando with another couple to celebrate our 1st anniversary. We initially chose the Hard Rock for its location near Universal Studios, which was the main reason we were in Orlando.

This hotel is fabulous. It has a serious rock and roll feel and caters to the young adult crowd. While there were families here, I wouldn't bring my own children. Mostly because the hotel blares music in most of the hallways.

The staff was attentive, quick and very nice. We checked in quickly, were given all the details needed and our rooms were clean on arrival. Any question we had was easily answered by the front desk. They took very good care of us.

The on-site restaurants were great! My favorite was the Palm. It had incredible specials and great food. Our waiter was hilarious. I also enoyed the Kitchen, which was often bustling. Each time we ate there the foodwas great and the waiters were very attentive. The hotel's pool bar was fun as well. They had bar style food available and some serious drinks. Order a double and you'll be set for hours--but you'll see it leave your pocket, too. If I had to choose a down side to anything, I'd say most of the food and drinks were pricey. But, we were on vacation and had saved up extra cash so we didn't really mind. Though, I'd rather not spend $20 for a simple ceral breakfast again!

Universal Studios was the main event for us, and it was FAB! Harry Potter World was AMAZING--make sure you get a butter beer. Staying "on-site" was even better because we got fast-passes for most rides. The longest we ever waited for a ride was probably 15 mins, something I'm so glad we paid for!

I would recommend this hotel to anyone, just not families. If you don't mind spending a little extra money, you'll love it!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2011

The proximity to the parks and restaurants is a great reason to stay here. But the best reason is the amazing pool area. The sand and palm trees create an illusion, and make you feel like you are at a beach resort.

The music wasn't uncomfortably loud, but I don't think anyone in their 50s or above would really appreciate it. We are in our early 40s and were pleasantly surprised by the choice in music.

Our teenagers really enjoyed the outdoor ping pong tables. We were there over New Year's Eve, and my 13 year old was able to kill every drunk dude who thought he could take on the "youngster" at ping pong.

We enjoyed the hotel lounge one night.

We would stay at the Hard Rock Resort again. We have also stayed at Portofino Bay, so feel free to check my review on that hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 26, 2011

Staying here gave us early entry to miss the lines for Harry Potter and that alone made it great, but the hotel was cool and our stay most enjoyable. The staff seemed to be having fun and were very helpful. The only small gripe was difficulty getting espressos/cappucinos after 9pm on room service! They did charge a lot for wifi- each appliance was an extra fee!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family