“My Honest Opinion of Hard Rock!!”

Hard Rock Hotel at Universal Orlando
Ranked #45 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 23, 2007

I cannot understand some of the reviews on here. This hotel is fantastic. Here's what I honestly think...

- Price. Yes it's expensive. We paid just over £100 per night for a garden view room and spent a lot while we were there. Drinks, food, etc are not cheap but the quality is good so we didn't mind. 18% tip is automatically added. Some people have complained about that, we found it convenient. Only thing that really ticked us off was the charge to park your car!

- Staff. Whoever called them rude or unfriendly must have really caused a stir and wound them up because during the 2 times we've stayed in the past, all of the staff have been wonderful, especially the lovely guys at the Beach Club.

- Noise/Music - It's Hard Rock. Get a grip! Surely when you book to stay at the Hard Rock Hotel you expect an atmosphere and some noise. We loved it!

- Room Quality - No issues. Nice and clean, great ipod docking station and flat screen TV. Really modern feel. We had great views of the gardens. Only complaint was the trek to the room. It's a bit like a maze.

Overall this is the best hotel I have ever stayed in. We're going back in September for the 3rd time in a row and can't wait. Far better than Disney's Deluxe resorts.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SAZ1975
There are newer reviews for Hard Rock Hotel at Universal Orlando

Reviewed August 11, 2007

The start of the holiday didn't get off to a good start. Our flight from England was delayed by 10 hours and by the time we got to the Hard Rock Hotel they had no rooms left (not sure why as this holiday was booked 15 months ago). Complimentary room for the night at Portofino and checked in to the Hard Rock a day later - they have refunded one night back to our travel agency (waiting to get this passed onto us, will probably take some time though). Anyway, booked into the Hard Rock for 2 weeks and the hotel was great, especially good for families. An 18% service charge is added to drinks and food at the beach bar, but the service was excellent. Didn't need to carry cash, just used our room key and charged it. Not having to queue for any rides at the Universal parks is a definite bonus. Would recommend this hotel to anyone, although a little expensive, was worth the money.

4  Thank JackieBCoventry_UK
Reviewed August 10, 2007

This hotel is tops.... The perk of being able to get in front of a long line at the park is practically worth every penny. I just wish that beyond the hotel being a really cool and awesome place to stay with a family and be close to the park that the prices were a tad bit lower. It is a high price to pay to stay here. We only stayed two nights and it ate up most of our budget. You cannot drink here or you will go broke. You need also to find a place to eat more reasonably. The high price you pay to stay at this hotel is worth it for the theme park perks,,,the efficient staff and gorgeouse atmosphere,,, but eat somewhere else and drink somewhere else and save yourself a buck.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank jes0926
Reviewed August 8, 2007

Stayed here for two nights of our vacation. This is the fourth time we've stayed - we all love the hotel. we had two newly renovated adjoining rooms but the downside was that they overlooked the back of the Hard Rock Hotel sign. (The bellboy actually said these have the worst view in the hotel!) The best thing about staying here is the front line access in the parks - you just can't beat this. Even Disney with their Magic Hours doesn't work this well at making you feel special walking to the front of the line again and again and again....
Had breakfast in the Kitchen which is really nice and Emack and Bolios does good starbucks coffee and fab ice creams.
I wish you didn't have to pay for the gym though because with two teenage daughters and my self using it each morning it runs expensive.

2  Thank Hale_Liverpool
Reviewed August 4, 2007

Fantastic experience! all we had hoped for. The express pass with the room key was a terrific bonus and we rode our favourite rides many times without waiting.We were on a family holiday with two teenage daughters who just adored the funkiness of this hotel especially the ice cream parlour and pool.
Breakfast was superb in "The Kitchen" as was the room service pizza.
Only complaints would be the $18 dollar a day valet parking charge ($12 if parking it yourself.) This was a surprise as we had not been made aware we would have to pay to park at a hotel in which we were staying. Friends who stayed in a Disney resort not only didnt pay for parking in their own hotel but didnt pay any where else in the resort.

4  Thank mollycatScotland
Reviewed August 3, 2007

My husband, 14 year son and I have just returned from a fortnights stay at the HRH.15/07/07-29/07/07 Overall this hotel delivers what it promises. Check-in was fine ( stated I had joined as a leows member a fortnight previous and was given a choice of gift, but no upgrade) Room was fine but carpets/ furniture a little marked bed comfy and bathroom good size with vanity area.Housekeeping also was sometimes a little touch and go IE had to request coffee/ sugar but no real problems. The room also had a mini bar which we did use a couple of times but decided paying 3 dollars for a can of coke was not on so we went on to I DRIVE and bought them there.

The hotel has music playing throught the hotel ( except the corridors) and this was fine. Had a couple of Cocktails at The Velvet Bar. Pool was great with good slide , beach area and Pool towels and if you wish Cabanas to hire.

We ate ot the Kitchen a couple of times once for Breakfast and once for Dinner. Both excellent. Staff were very friendly and atttentive. Also ate at the Palm Restaurant( special occasion) but can not say this was one of our best meals on holiday as we had ordered quite an expensive bottle of wine(130.00 dollars) which the server had difficulty opening. She then got her duty manager to take over who in turn came back with the bottle open ( we did not see this happening) Refused this bottle as cork could have entered but this should not have been presented back to us . Meal also was mediocre.

As in previous reviews the hotel is expensive but you prepare for this. Front of line access at the 2 parks is without a doubt a Major Plus. Paying to self park is a major gripe and rightly so. Leows should address this especially if like us you are there for a fortnight. Only one other complaint HRH is pet friendly and I knew this before I booked.During my research into the HRH I was under the impression all pets and their owners were allocated rooms on the 1ST floor ( we were on the 3RD) On returning one afternoon dog barking was heard coming from the next room. I suffer from Asthma/ Allergy to Dogs , cats, and other animals and was horrified as I had informed my Travel Agent of this condition and they were to request Non Smoking/ Pet Free Room.I proceded to inform reception but first of all I spoke to conciarge who states this is correct it should only be 1st floor for pets. and possibly this person had smuggled them into the hotel. NOT SO.This couple and their TWO DOGS had been allocated a room next to ours. Reception said we could move rooms -US THAT HAD BOOKED A FORTNIGHTS STAY AT A PRICE!!! .Couple with dogs were there for 2 nights. Declined offer but informed reception that many people could have severe reaction to Dogs as I have if in close proximity. Overall apart from the Dog situaltion the HRH and its Sister Hotels which we also visited and ate there are faboulous. Would definetly stay stay there again. HAPPY TIPPING !!!

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Moira07
Reviewed July 25, 2007

My boyfriend and I aboslutely loved this hotel. We are a young couple (25 and 27) and our pre-requisite for a hotel in Orlando was a fun environment which was not entirely child focused. The hotel certainly provided this but equally, I believe it would be perfect for families. It is exceptional for Orlando in that it can provide a great holiday for singles and families alike.- I know that the disney hotels are all about the kids! We met loads of parents who were chilling out at the bar while their kids were within sight, watching the evening movie in the pool.

The hotel offers a very high calabre of service and the general experience warrants its 5 star reputation. However, this standard is coupled with a chilled out and casual environment, resulting in guests being entirely relaxed. I think this hotel encompasses everything Orlando is about and delivers it with on a 5 star plate- it is fun, lively and chilled out yet luxurious. Staff were all wonderful and extrememly friendly, food and cocktails were superbe and music at pool was great. I just don't think you could be in a bad mood at this hotel as its so fun (without being cheesy)!!!

We wondered across to Portofino- it also looked wonderful but I believe Portofino caters for an entirely different spec. It is very peaceful and relaxed and there is a lot less going on than in Hard Rock. If you are looking for a more tranquil ambiance, I would recommend Portofino over Hard Rock. We are also Scottish and wanted to feel like we were in America. Hard Rock is a represenation of the US culture unlike Portofino, which has the Italian novlety.

Only bad point is that after 2 weeks in the hotel and an extras tab of $4000, we were charged $200 for a 2 hour late check-out. I thought that was bad customer service given the circumstances and length of our stay. That unfortunately left a bitter taste in my mouth but without this individual situation, our expericence would have been entirely positive. The hotel is a little greedy- its very expensive for food and drink (compared to the other hotels and rest of Orlando) and everything certainly adds up! I would hate to think how much it would cost to keep a whole family fed and watered therel! If you're willing to accept that it will be an overall expensive experience, I would absolutely definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple