“Raves for the Hard Rock”

Hard Rock Hotel at Universal Orlando
Ranked #40 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 22, 2007

Having had an awful experience at Royal Pacific last summer we were a little nervous about another Loew's Universal Hotel! Not to worry, however, there was all the difference in the world. We booked our Club Floor room throught AAA and received two free seven-day tickets to the Universal and Islands of Adventure parks, since we stayed at least four nights. At $409. per night the price is definitely steep but when you factor in a real four star property, the free Park tickets, access to Club 7, and a three minute walk to immediate entry to all the Park attractions, it doesn't seem so bad. With temps near 100 every day the room key express entry feature was worth it's weight in gold. We took one day and rented a poolside cabana to cool off from the heat and decided it was a great buy. The cabana we chose was a new one with no TV (we chose this to keep the grandchildren in the pool) and a price of $50. for the day. With a large ceiling fan, a dining table and four chairs, and two chaise lounges it made for a very comfortable break, especially with poolside lunch and drinks service. The quality of the food from room service, Club 7, and the Pool were high quality and reasonably priced for a resort. Our room was decorated in a quirky and fun style, spotlessly clean, with turn down service and fresh towels every night. The extra perks on the Club Floor are a special treat...a welcoming tray of homemade cookies and ice cold milk at check-in, little favors for the kids every night at turn down (much nicer than chocolates), and free water and sodas, continental breakfast with pastries and fresh fruit, canapes and crudite at cocktail hour, as well as complimentary beer and wine. Of course, I can't forget the fresh cookies, cheesecake, and pastries at bedtime! We were extremely lucky to get a room overlooking the pool and the parks and that put the icing on the cake for a very successful vacation in a top notch hotel with excellent service and superb amenities. We would recommend this property for anyone but, naturally, the kids are particularly taken with the fun in this sun!

Stayed: July 2007
3  Thank MarcoMom17

Reviewed July 18, 2007

I recently stayed at the Hard Rock and have traveled quite extensively, so I can tell you that this resort gets 3 1/2 to 4 stars, out of 5. Check-in was a breeze; the staff is extremely friendly; the rooms were beautiful - I reserved an upgraded larger room that slept 6, even though there were only 3 of us, but we really appreciated the room to spread out. The resort was very clean, the pool was nice, with a great waterslide. Plenty of seating and lounge chairs, plus private cabanas. You have the option of taking a water taxi to the parks and City Walk area, but you have to wait sometimes up to 20minutes for the water taxi, or you can take the walking path from the resort. It's about a 6 minute stroll.
The HUGE advantage of staying on-site Universal is the Express Pass. My family and I enjoyed the 2 parks in their entirety and repeated our favorite rides, even though we left the park each day around 12n or 1p to return to the pool for 3-4 hours.
My only issues - our toiletries in the bathroom weren't replenished, and the maid service is a bit slow to get around. BUT the maid service issue is an ongoing problem in all of Orlando. And when we called the "star service" desk at the hotel, they brought oodles of toiletries to us immediately. They also forgot to replenish our coffee supply one day, but again when I called, it was taken care of, and with a sincere apology. I found the food and drink at the restaurant and pool bar a bit pricey, but that's to be expected at a resort of this caliber, plus the fact that you're at a vacation resort. I've have stayed on-site Disney on past Orlando visits, and I can't say that Disney does the on-site experience any better than Hard Rock. You can feel confident in booking the Hard Rock and having a great time.

7  Thank iluvrocko
Reviewed July 18, 2007

We stayed here for 3 nights and just can't say enough about it. The property is clean, the employees very nice and the pool is wonderful. The food is expensive by the pool, but at least it is good. There is an ice cream parlor on site! They also have a lot of activities planned by the pool - we enjoyed the movie night after a long hot day at Islands of Adventure.

We used our room key as a fast access pass in Universal and Islands of Adventure and that really made the higher price worthwhile. No waiting! Just a great vacation! Highly recommend it, if you can afford it!

3  Thank pjslacker
Reviewed July 15, 2007

I had booked a room for my son's 13th birthday for him and 4 friends and myself (5 person maximum per room).
The room was not ready for early check-in in the morning but they gave us express passes to use at the theme park and called me on my cell before noon to let me know the room was ready. The rooms are small but nicely decorated in the hard rock theme. The staff were very nice and even surprised my son with a huge tin with candies, a free in-room movie and popcorn since they found out it was his birthday... I was very impressed. When you stay at a Universal property you are able to use any of the other 2 hotels pools which was great since by 5PM the Hard Rock pool was closed for the night becuase some kid used the bathroom in the pool! GRRR, other than that, great experience - quite expensive for Orlando area, but worth it for location and amenities and staff. The Kitchen is the restaurant there and the food wasn't great - other than that, fun trip and we got a late check-out of 1PM! Teens love this place!

3  Thank alion76
Reviewed July 14, 2007

My husband and I and our 2 children (ages 14-11) stayed at the Hard Rock over Memorial Day weekend of 2007. We stayed for 4 nights in a Club Level Room, and got the stay 4/get 2 free passes rate. The propery is awesome, the location is great, and my kids loved the room. The only problem we had was checking in - it was 8:00 P.M. and we were told our room wasn't ready....we had booked the trip about 6 months prior, so I was a bit concerned. We ended up with what appeared to be a jr. suite, so the 15 minute wait was worth it. It was a very spacious room, and my kids were very excited. The pool does get very crowded in the early afternoon, so we did the parks early in the morning for a few hours and then went back at night. Club level is great - continental breakfast and cocktails and appetizers from 5-7 at night. The restaurants on propery are pricey, but what isn't pricey in Orlando! We would definitely stay at this hotel again! The staff is excellent and extremely accomodating, and you can ALWAYS find someone to ask if you have a question. The only downfall is that they charge you to park there, even if you're staying there, which I find a bit much.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank jl
Reviewed July 9, 2007

Well, before I stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel in Universal, I read several reviews about it online. So, I feel compelled to write my own! My family and I enjoyed our stay at the Hard Rock Hotel. Our kids - 12 and 14 yrs old loved the pool ! It had a water slide that kept everyone happy - young and old. The drinks at the pool were a little pricey - $12 for a strawberry margarita but they were good.
We ate breakfast the first day at the "Kitchen". The buffet ran us about $80 - a little more than I usually spend on breakfast. There was quite a varity though (omlette bar, pancakes,sausage, bacon etc) The second day we found out that you could buy bagels, cereal, fruit etc at the market place (lower floor - next to the ice cream parlor). Most of our meals were eaten at City Walk which had a good varity of restaurants.
We stayed in a gardenview room which was adequate. The beds are very comfy !
Overall, I would stay here again - the service was great, the staff polite, rooms clean and you can't beat staying right in the parks. The express pass that you receive with the room moves you to the front of every line at the parks. We waited no more than 5 minutes while others had to wait 60 min.
The music that is played throughout the hotel rocks !!
We would recommend this hotel.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank delra22
Reviewed July 8, 2007

We have been here several times before and this was our best stay ever.

The hotel is about a 15-20 minute drive from the hotel and once off the highway, signs direct you to the hotel very well. Gated entrance and we drove up to the front in a convertible and the family felt great. One change is that they now charge for self-parking so w/ a light $ upgrade you can valet park.

We were VERY early for check in and we got hung up at the front desk as they couldn't get us a room. People at the desk couldn't have been nicer during the proces and then upgraded us to the 7th floor whcih was like an upgrade from coach to first class. A major change !

7th floor provided breakfast w/ fresh fruit etc., snacks during the day, free drinks at happy hour and nice young people focused on the customer. We loved it. Pool was clean as always, entertainment w/ music or movies every night, room was clean, bathroom updated and just a great experience.

Walk to Universal was as always easy and w/ the hotel pass going to the head of line for the rides is such a great treat and a major advantage over Disney's fast pass. Ate at Emerils 1 night (great) and NBA City on NBA Draft Night ( a terrific experience)

Loews hotels sent a survey when we left and it was followed up w/ a personal email from the hotel manager as they were concerned at our initial wait at the front desk. Nothing to woryy about as when we return we plan on absolutely staying here again, not sure we could get the kids anywhere else after such a positive stay.

Many thanks to all the employees that made our experience special.

1  Thank MysticKid