“Loved Club Level Perks”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Media, Pa
“Loved Club Level Perks”
Reviewed August 27, 2006

Stayed at HRH from 8/16 to 8/23/06. Me, husband & three children ages, 15, 13 & 12. We stayed in a club level room. Everyday had breakfast in Club Lounge, saved time & money. Fresh Fruit, bagels, muffins, cereals, pastries, drinks. Snacks throughout day available. Dinner had three hot items & cut veggies, wine, beer & soft drinks. Late night desserts snacks & drinks, mini canolli, brownies, blondies, etc. You save so much money. We ate lunch out but for the most part the offerings in the lounge were fine for us. Everyday we would each get a bottle of water before heading out. In the parks you will pay between 1.69 & 2.50 per bottle. We would get more water when we stopped in during the day and again at night.
We also saved money at the parks restaurants and shops by using our AAA card for a 10% discount. Even when we went to lunch outside of Wet N Wild the restaurants gave us the AAA discount.
We arrived on 8/16 at about 12:00 and our room wasn't ready but they let us go up to the club lounge. Cold drinks and snacks. The consierge made a call and within 15 minutes we were able to go to our room.
We made reservations for the 5 of us and there were only two queen beds in the room. We were told at check in that they only have 3 rooms that have the sleeper sofa and we would have to pay $25.00 per night for the cot. I complained that we booked the room for 5 and should have a room that sleeps 5. I contacted my travel agent at Liberty Travel and they contacted the hotel and made sure we did not have to pay the additional money.
I would only go to Universal & IOA if I stayed on site or bought the express pass. We rarely if ever had to wait in lines. The most would be 10 minutes. Some rides would say the wait was 40 minutes, and we just showed our room key and you are shown a separate entrance and get to the front of the lines. This also worked for us at City Walk. We went to Margaritaville and there was a 45 minute wait for a table. I showed our room key and they said they would cut the time in half for us. We sat within 15 minutes.
We had the tickets for Universal, IOA, Wet N Wild and Sea World. My favorite ride was Men in Black in Universal, my husband and son loved Spiderman at IOA. My girls' favorite ride was the Mummy. Shows were great. You also had preferred seating showing your room key. Loved Fear Factor which we saw the first day. Thankfully we saw it then since it closed after that until Halloween.
Our rooms were always clean and ready for us when we returned around 4:00 for a break. Turn down service also was nice, getting clean towels, and little gifts for the kids at night.
We usually just walked back and forth to the parks from the hotel. Less than 6 minute walk. We took the boat a couple times, since it was right there. If we had to wait we just walked instead.
There was a free shuttle from the hotel to Wet N Wild 10 minute ride and to Seaworld about 20 minutes. We took a cab back from Wet N Wild since the return shuttle was later than we wanted. It cost just $6.00 for the 5 of us.
One last thing. My husband loves Pink Floyd. Hard Rock Live had a group playing in concert Pink Floyd's albums. He loved taking our son to his first rock concert. It was really a treat for them both.

• Liked — Closeness to parks & express pass
  • Disliked — Small rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — Use AAA cards in restaurants and gift shops. Show room key to cut wait at restaurants at City Walk. Stay onsite to get express pass for front of line access.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
18 Thank DollyMae

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,326)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
minneapolis
Reviewed August 17, 2006

we just returned from the hard rock and had a nice time. The hotel could use a "freshing up" and I was told that all rooms will be remodeled starting this week!! So you may want to check and see how that will impact your stay.

The hotel is conveniently located so you can easily walk to the parks and your room key is your express pass so no long waits in line, which is a major benefit.

Don't expect stellar service though. The check in was long, our room wasn't to be ready until after 4pm, the maid service was sometime between 1:30 and 3pm, sometimes we got handtowels and wash clothes and bath mats etc, and sometimes we didn't.

Prices for food and beverages are high here. A couple of pops and candy bars at the ice cream stand was over $20. Bar service, pool service and room service all carry mandatory 18% tips included. Service at the pool was poor with waiters walking past without asking if you wanted anything and even turning around and walking the other way when you were holding a menu!

The Kitchen restaurant was about $50 for a light lunch for two adults and one child. And that was a dip, chili, and kids meal with cokes! And the waiter got the order wrong and denied it!

Parking is additional (12 self park 18 valet) and the self lots fill up quickly by night time.

This was our second stay at the hard rock we also stayed at the royal pacific. Not sure which hotel we prefer more. Won't be back for a few years anyway, so not sure it matter.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
7 Thank drtwnbys
new york
Reviewed August 12, 2006

I just got back from a vacation to Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida. We stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel and I cannot tell you how we loved it. The people that work there no matter what they were doing were amazingly helpful. The day we checked in we had adjoining rooms and one of the rooms smelled of smoke and they not only gave me my money back for that room, they moved me to a better location and with no effort from us. They moved the luggage and everything while we were at the park. The easy access to the park was the best feature. We walked to Universal Studios, Islands of Adventures and City Walk in less than 5 minutes. We were able to bring a small cooler with bottled waters for my 4 boys and it was a great savings. The hotel also gives each person there own room key which is used in Universal to cut the line. We never waited more than 15 minutes for a ride even when the wait for the regular lines were 1 hours or more at times. We were amazed how quickly we were able to finish both parks. The hotel also has a shuttle that takes you to Sea World which was a great convenience not to drive after a long day at the park. The rooms were spotless and we ate at The Kitchen twice because the food was so good and never had to wait for a table. Another thing we liked about this hotel is that we decided to stay by the pool one whole day to relax and we rented a Cabana that had a TV and refrigerator, an overhead fan to stay cool plus a table with chairs to eat or just play games. The staff would walk around and hand out ice cold towels so that you could cool yourself off. The restaurant by the pool was also very good - we ended up eating lunch and dinner there as well. At night they even had a kiddy movie playing at the pool. Great hotel and will absolutely stay there next time we go back to Universal.

8 Thank amtrak
Indianapolis
Reviewed August 9, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Hard Rock at the end of July to enjoy a couple days at Universal before our Cruise. I read many of the reviews on this website to research where to stay. We are in our early thirties and really enjoyed our stay at the Hard Rock.

Reading the reviews we knew that check in was later. We planned accordingly and arrived at the Hard Rock around 6pm. The lobby was busy due to the Flock of Seagulls concert that was going on at the hotel. We had no problem checking in and the service was great from the bellman to the person working the desk. We found our room clean and adequate but like other reviews, nothing spectacular.

The Hard Rock is about a 5 minute walk from the City Walk, Islands of Adventure, and Universal. There is a water taxi and shuttle service as well as some guys on "bike taxis" to get you to the attractions. We tried the water taxi the first night there and waited longer than it took to walk. Forget the shuttles and taxis and enjoy the walk.

We stayed on the club level. The club level is good if you do not mind the price. There are extra perks including breakfast (fruit ,cereal, pastries, etc) as well as snacks, drinks, etc..We liked it and would pay to stay on the club level again. The only draw back is that it takes a while for the rooms to be made up. This usually does not occur unitl after 2pm. No biggy though...our room was always cleaned very well.

The express pass is awesome. We waited no more than 5-10 minutes on each attraction. We usually got the the parks when they opened and had seen everthing by 1pm which gave us time to enjoy the pool at the hotel before heading to the Citywalk at night. Citywalk is also very cool!

We would go back to Hard Rock. To us it was a great experience. We had great service and really enjoyed the proximity to the parks. The food was good at the Kitchen as well as the Palm. We were somewhat concered about some of the reviews but found the Hard Rock a great place to stay. If you are on a budget or pinching pennies, maybe this is not the best place for you...We, however, found the hotel to be a great value for the amenities that it provided.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
12 Thank rdhopkinson
Caernarfon, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2006

Like other reviewers we had to wait a long time at the front desk to check-in, although there was only one person in the line before me. Later on in the stay, and after waiting in the line, I was told by an adviser that she could not change my travellers cheques for cash, and that I should see another adviser. This after waiting 10 mins in line!
The room was nice with plenty of space for a family of four. We had a few problems - the toilet became blocked and this was sorted out immediately, but the door did not lock properly and this was not sorted to our satisfaction throughout our stay.
We did not eat at any of the restaurants but took a quick and cheap breakfast each morning at the take away shop. This was very convenient. The pool was nice with a great slide for the youngsters, but the incessant loud rock music made it difficult for any one wanting to read!!
The main advantage to staying at the Hard Rock is that you are able to use your room key as an express pass at every ride. We found this to be a major advantage - although you are of course paying towrads it in the hotel price.
We would recommend this hotel, in particular to families with teenagers.

10 Thank Alun L
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed August 5, 2006

I stayed in the Hard Rock Aug1-5, the room they put me in (3095) was disgusting,. It had numerous spots on the carpet, rusted bathroom fixtures, spotted comforters, and a funky smell. I asked to be moved and that room was worst than the first. It took three tries to get a halfway decent room. Also my room was not cleaned until 4pm and it was never vacumed. When I complained I was offered free drinks and food by the pool but the problem was never corrected. At $279 a night I expected more from the Hard Rock. Next time I will just stay over night for the front of the line access and then move to a better hotel.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
10 Thank efrazi101
georgia
Reviewed August 5, 2006

i made reservations for the hard rock on february 6 of 06. i booked the club room at a rate of 359.00 plus tax a night. total being at check in 1,700.00. i also made reservations for the velvet sessions. now i drive up to the hard rock on the afternoon,2:00 pm ready to have a great vacation with my wife and three boys age 15,16,19,bags were pulled off vehicle,tipped 20.00,paid cash at front desk got park express cards,went up to the 7th floor club room and thats where everything started to fall apart. we were told 6 times that our room will be ready in a few minutes over a 2.5 hour period. finally got to room and there was no wine ,peanuts,local newspaper as promised.cleaned up a bit and headed to meet several friends at the universal globe,one of which happened to be my boss at work,we went through universal studios for several hours then headed to meet my reservation time at 7:30 at margaritaville on citywalk. food was great,drinks were fun, then when i went to charge the meal and drinks on my hotel card the server returned to my table to say(IN FRONT OF MY BOSS) your card is no good.i paid the hotel at check in 100.00 to have a charge so i wouldn't have to carry any cash at the park. he ran the card several times to no avail, contacted the hotel to see what needed to be done and hotel said that they will not honor the charge. so now i am so embarrased i don't know what to do. so finally i ended up leaving my drivers license and boss at the restaurant and me and the wife walked all the way back to the HARD ROCK HOTEL .i explained to the front desk what i had run into at the restaurant thinking that an apology and instant gratification was near. boy was i wrong . When we finally arrived, I called the night time management BRANDON to be exact, now it seemed to be a blame game,for some reason he tried to keep blaming the restaurant saying that maybe their computer is not operational, to which my reply was that a landline was used to see what the mistake was.Brandon would not call the restaurant to see what happened. We decided to check out and find a new hotel but were told that they would only give us $200.00 and mail us the the other $1500.00 .Now after 2 hours of total insanity and disbelief he left the front counter and sent a supervisor under him to deal with the situation. Finally at 10:30 pm i got my money back and my family left the HARD ROCK HOTEL to try and salvage the vacation,it's amazing how just one person can destroy and deminish dreams and excitement. At 2:00 am i finally checked in at the DISNEYS shades of green hotel,they seemed to love to honor one and all of my request.

• Liked — check in
  • Disliked — military looking for some real family qualitytime in a 4 star ,instead experienced a 40.00 a night attitude from their personnel
  • Tips/Secrets — try disneys shades of green if your military.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11 Thank medievaltimes