“Hard Rock perfect for us”

Hard Rock Hotel at Universal Orlando
Ranked #40 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 14, 2006

Arrival- friday, very easy check-in, valet parked $18a day vs $12 selfpark, bells unloaded and was in room in 15-20min.....had dinner in kitchen restaurant at 8 very nice and had magician for kids....7 min walk (or we could have taken shuttleboat )to citywalk to have some drinks to see band at marquaritaville SAT- early star for me..went to Emacks for starbucks/ choc milk and muffins for family. had reserved cabana for sat/sun(strongly reccomend if poss for you )$ 120 per day, 8-10pm ,about 12x12, tv ,ceiling fan for excellent breeze, table /6 chairs and 3 loungers, free sodas in refrig...awesome service...overlooked great pool slide for kids ...room was nice, cool and quiet(some normal kid noise but we expect it as we have been there /done that with our kids8/10)we went to parks in evenings and had great times, READ reviews and were somewhat worried but, you make your vacation not the hotel...i feel we are "cool parents that keep the kids happy on vacations and believe me we enjoy it too" and that is what it takes to have a successful trip....................tks HR, not cheap but very worth it and our style ....have fun everyone it is up to you chris any questions?

• Stayed: July 2006
10  Thank clidec
Write a ReviewReviews (9,109)

Woodbridge, NJ
Reviewed July 12, 2006

The hotel had alot of memorabilia which was very tasteful. The lobby was beautiful, but the checkin was very long. You had to pay for self parking, while valet was 18 bucks a day. If you don't need a rental car skip it. The pool was great for kids- at a safe 3 1/2 ft deep. The benefits are a great family atmosphere, express pass to all the attractions. You can either walk, or take a short ferry to Universal. My daughter absolutely loved the hotel, and to me, that's what counts the most. There are hotels nearby that might cost half as much, with a free shuttle to the theme parks. Like another reviewer said " Not for the cheap"

Stayed: July 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 5, 2006

Just spent three nights at the Hard Rock to end our Florida vacation. Once you get in the place and get a room the place is fantastic. I just found the wholw registration system rather laborious, 90 minutes for our room after arriving at 16:00hrs. Anyway after that it was all systems go, a great hotel, some enthusiastic people down the corridoors late on but thats all part of the vibrant Hard Rock experience. Great pool area, plenty of activities and the express pass to Universal rides meant we covered both parks in one day and did not miss a ride, in fact we went on most twice. Our second stay at the Hard Rock and it wont be the last. Excellent would have been the mark if they just improve the arrival process.

9  Thank BlackpoolWillow
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed July 4, 2006

Rather than repeat what all the other reviews have already said, I'll try to touch on some new points.

We stayed in a deluxe room which is larger than a standard room and has a pullout sofa and separate dressing area. I thought it was well worth the extra money for the space. Because of all the greenery around the pool, I don't think any room below the 7th (maybe the 6th) floor would really be able to see much, so I wouldn't spend extra for a pool view. The rooms are run down as others have said. Mgmt has told us that they will all be renovated next year. Checkin was a hassle. We had the same experience as most others have posted (room not ready, give cell number but they never call when room is ready etc). Lots of posters have complained about the noise. I have to agree, the walls are thin and you can hear what's going on all around. But that is no different than some other hotels I've stayed at. The noise didn't keep us awake at night or wake us up early. We stayed at the Nick Hotel last year and that hotel is much louder than this one. Also, they nickel and dime you for everything - want a microwave - $15 a day; want to use the mini bar - $15/day; you name it - $15/day.

The kids menu at the Kitchen has a lot to choose from and my kids really liked the food. We also enjoyed the food even though it was no bargain.

The express pass was the reason we chose to stay here. Yes you can purchase one for extra $ at the park entrance, but purchasing one does not give you unlimited rides. For the popular rides, you get only 1 express pass. When you stay at the hotel, you can always go the front of the line as many times as you want. Plus the quick walk to the parks is a great convenience. I think this hotel is the closest to the parks of the three.

The pool was better than I expected. There are activities for the kids which they really liked. And the slide was fun.

We chose to get a cab from the airport instead of pre-arranging transportation via a Mears shuttle. The cab isn't cheap ($40 before tip) but it was cheaper to do this than to take the shuttle. Depending on the number of people in your party, it may be better to take a cab: you don't have to go to other stops and you don't have to wait for your bus to fill up. You'll get to the hotel quicker in a cab.

If you go to the hotel expecting to get a 5 star-type quality hotel, you will be disappointed - it is not even close. But if you want to go to the Universal Parks, this is a great choice. We had a great time and wouldn't hesitate to go back.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 4, 2006

Great Hotel. Good restaurants. Great proximity to the parks. One of the best hotel pools I have seen.

Rooms are clean and nice, but not large. Lay out of hotel is a bit confusing and if your room is at the wrong end from the elevators it can be a long walk, but other than that, no complaints.

Was it expensive? Yes. As most things in Orlando are. If you don't want to spend money, don't go on vacation. Reading the reviews, it amazes me that some people bother to go on vacation and then spend the whole time angry about the cost. The Hard Rock is less expensive than most Disney resorts, but offers a better locations in relation to the parks than Disney does. Food and drinks cost more than they probably do at your local pub, but they are not out of line.

We liked the Hard Rock for dinner and "The Kitchen" inside the resort for brunch. Hated the Italian joint in the City Walk area (forgot the name, sorry- wish I could forget the terrible service).

Stayed 4 nights at Disney Polynesian then Hard Rock. Highly recommend using the Mears transport service. Cost was about $50 (w/ tip). Service was great. Guy waiting for us with a sign outside our hotel. Also used them to get us back to the airport.

I preferred the Disney parks to Universal. Not much to do for my younger kids. The older ones preferred Universal. I don't recommend the park if your kids are under 10. I spent most afternoons at the pool with the little ones and they loved it.

Stayed: May 2006
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 29, 2006

After our lousy and expensive resort stay at the Contemporary this place was worth every bit of the money. It was cheaper than the Contemporary at Disney. Book early so you get the cheaper rate. I had 2 teenage boys. The room was big, clean and had a cd player which they loved to play their music. The pool was great. They had a DJ and everyone in the pool was dancing to the music. We drank coffee at Starbucks, ate dinner at the restaurant in Hard Rock and enjoyed ourselves. We stayed at the RC in universal before and this was far better for the teens. If you didn't want to wait for the boat you could walk to the parks. The no line no wait was the best. We have been to Orlando every year and this was the best year staying at Hard Rock. Next time we come we will skip staying at Disney, stay here and drive.

8  Thank PaFrequenttraveler
Reviewed June 25, 2006

First I would like to state I have been here the last three years so something draws me there. We stayed several nights to relax before a very hectic six days when we moved to the Disney properties. This place is great, could be heaven, but definitely has many cons.
The pool - wonderful, the walk to the parks and City Walk - wonderful, the Express passes - wonderful. Rooms are so-so. I was told they were going to renovate some this year, but not so far. Carpet is getting pretty bad. Our room did not have one of the nice bedspreads this time. Chairs were filthy. And check in is what turns me off the most. They tell you they will have you in by 4:00. I kept calling with no room. They assign you a room in the morning. Someone coming in at 11:00pm may have a room ready, but you may wait. CRAZY. I finally went back at 4 and was given a room. THEN I could not get in. They send up security who gets us in. Then at 5:30 we get a call on our cell that our room is ready. Low and behold they had given us the wrong room. Thank GOD or we would have waited until 5:30. We did not pay the upgrade for a pool room, but got one again this year. It is nuts as most are overgrown with trees so you have no view. I would not waste the money for the upgrade. My kids love the ice cream shop.

3  Thank MantenoTraveler