“OK but would not return”

Hard Rock Hotel at Universal Orlando
Ranked #45 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersBronze level
A TripAdvisor Member
“OK but would not return”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2005

We stayed here in August for 4 nights, it was totally worth staying at an on-site hotel because you have a fast pass. This saved us tons of time in the parks.We had a club level room which gave us continental breakfast in the morning, beer and snacks in the afternoon and cookies at night. The only problem with the room was the view of the dog walking park. Pretty disgusting to look out at dogs releiving themselves. Also the maid didn't clean our room until about 5pm and then turn down service was at 6 pm. A little early for turndown service. Everyone raves about the pool, I thought that while it was a great looking pool, the fact that it was only 2 or 3 feet deep made it uncomfortable to swim in, and it was very crowded. The slide was alot of fun. We had a good time overall but would not return and I would hesitate to recommend this place.I will try the Portifino Bay next time.

• Stayed August 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,318)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2005

I just finished reading the review titled "Hard Luck at the Hard Rock Go Anywhere Else" and I felt compelled to respond. I stayed at the Hard Rock this summer with my boyfriend, mom, and brother, and we had a wonderful time. We also booked our two rooms months in advance, and upon arrival were told that the rooms we booked were not available, (due to overbooking). However....the hotel staff was very accomodating and upgraded my mom & brother to the "VIP" floor. My boyfriend and I wanted a smoking room and the "VIP" floor didn't have smoking available, so they found us another room we were very happy with. The staff also provided us with "VIP" keys so that we could access this floor to see my mom & brother or have a drink in the lounge up there anytime we wanted. We were very happy with the rooms we ended up getting.
The pool only closed once during our stay due to inclement weather, and there were signs posted around the pool making us aware of the closure and they re-opened the pool within two hours or so. Anyway, we were informed why the pool was closed. Also, the staff working at the bar out by the pool area was friendly and attentive.
Our hotel rooms were really nice and were cleaned at a reasonable time everyday by the housekeeping staff. Everytime we got back in the late afternoon our rooms were cleaned.
We truly enjoyed our time at the Hard Rock. I will say that it was pricey, but I think that should be expected....anytime you vacation at Disney/Universal, you should expect to spend some money!! The food at the hotel was above average, drinks were very good, nice fitness center, beautiful sand beach around the pool, nice shops, and neat ice cream shop. The hotel is definitely decorated beautifully around the Hard Rock theme, and the music in the hallways and the elevator is a reminder that you are at a very fun place.
I do understand and would be upset myself if I had some of the experiences listed in "Hard Luck at the Hard Rock Go Anywhere Else" but I just want to let people know that this is a beautiful hotel and although we found a few minor things wrong with it....overall we had a wonderful experience at this hotel and I would encourage anyone to stay there.

• Stayed June 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Panama City Beach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2005

Our family of 5 had a weeks vacation planned since last year for Hard Rock and Universal. This hotel is top notch. Friendly staff, great atmosphere, awesome pool. We had a deluxe room that was very spacious and comfortable. My only complaints were the view (for a duluxe you should have better views) which overlooked the dog walking area, and the parking ($15 a night for valet or $7 a night for self park) which should be included for the price. My father had the kids suite and it was like a small apartment but had a mediocre view as well. Club level is highly recommended and a suite if you can swing it. A warning to those planning on going to parks on the day of check out. Your express plus pass will probably not work. Had family members in which it worked for only half of them and heard some complaints at the front desk for the same problem. Very minor complaints compared to the great time you will have at this outstanding hotel.

3 Thank Jon S
Paducah, KY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2005

Had a great time. Fourth time there. Needs a little better up keep. Pool was great. Fast pass on every ride if you stay there is worth a few extra bucks.

2 Thank grttimes
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2005

I may have been there on a bad week, but I will not go back.

First the positive. The staff in the hotel lobby was very friendly and the concierge was very helpful in making dinner reservations when I asked.

My family and I stayed at the Royal Pacific 2 years ago and had a great time. We decided to try a different on-site hotel this time and chose to stay at the Hard Rock Hotel for four nights.

Unless you looked at the soap, you would not know you were in a Hard Rock Hotel once you left the lobby. We were woken by noisy people in the hall the first night. One the second night (about 2am), commotion starting with the phone in the room next door ringing dozens of times. Then security at the door of the same room trying to get in. Then a few hours later a fire alarm. Fire alarm went off again about 3:30am the next night. Every morning, the wake up calls came at the wrong time. The handset of the cordless telephone between the beds did not work, making answering those wake up calls a lot of fun. A blue/green substance (toothpaste?) on the ceiling. No vending machines. So when you're ready to kickback in the room and relax with a drink and a snack, go downstairs for soda at $3/bottle and $1.75 candy bars for the kids.

For what it cost to stay there, I would like to be able to sleep through the night without interruption, be woken at the requested time, be able to answer my telephone, have a clean room and not get gouged for a snack.

Too much to ask? Maybe. But we stayed at a Hilton on the Beach a few days later and the room was clean, phone worked, we were able to sleep without interruption, my wake up call came at the right time and soda was $1.25, for a lot less per night.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2005

This place was the best hotel I have ever stayed in!! The staff was very friendly, and did eveything they could to make our stay more enjoyable! The scenery is gorgeous!! The food is graet and the pool is spectacular.

The best thing would probably be the Express passes you get for staying there. The longest we had to wait in line for was 10 mins. It was great because of all the things on site!

• Stayed May 2004
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2005

We stayed at the Hard Rock for our Honeymoon. To start – we arrived at the hotel (lovely looking etc) – lugged our bags into the lobby, whilst watching the porters just staring back at us, only helping families or old men with cars!. Got to the reception desk and was greeted by reception, the most rudest staff I have ever met. They barely greeted us, hardly cracked a smile. I mentioned it was our first day of our honeymoon and no reply!, then they just gave us a room key. I pryingly asked if the room had a king size bed rather than a twin and they said sharpishly no!, all kings are taken. Then I said ‘does it have a nice view’, they replied – its of the gardens, so I thought great!. Finally brushing off their attitude, I asked what we do with our bags and they looked at us and the bags and said: ‘theres 2 bags and 2 of you!’
I was so upset and the room we got given was in the basement opposite the base of a tree. It was a dirty room and 2 small beds with a tiny bathroom, which I could barely turn in! I then went back up to reception to complain, funnily enough another couple who arrived the same time were about to complain – seriously – I’ve seen better rooms in a motel, not 5* standards.So then on the second visit to reception, they sniggered and then gave another room on the 4th floor slightly higher up the tree! – same quality room. Once again they never offered us help with our bags and cheekily said to the porters thinking I didn’t hear, that they were to open the door for us in our new room as we were incapable of doing so!!I was so upset and instantly called our holiday rep – give the rep their dues as they confirmed after a minute call that they would take it further and call me back asap. 2 minutes later they had arranged an upgrade to club level. Fantastic news as we ended up with a lovely view over the pool and parks and complimentary breakfast.
Just another quick point to round it up – the next morning around 9am we were called by reception to come asap – no warning what about. Worridly, we went down and was told we were being charged $3 for our call to the rep!!!! – just to be really spiteful!

I would never recommend the hotel and really wished we had chosen disney’s Floridian!

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member