“Do not stay here!”

Hard Rock Hotel at Universal Orlando
Ranked #45 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 31, 2008

The hotel staff was inexperienced very young (teenagers) and could not tell you anything w/ any certainity or help you. For some reason my room key would not let me charge and I went to front desk to fix this. The teenage girls at the front desk could not help me and would not get a manager "he's not around right now I don't know where he is." This was never fixed the 3 days I stayed. The room was beaten up badly scratches all over the furniture and very small and not at all fancy. We are talking motel 6 quality for the $259 a night room. The tv had lines going across it all blurry impossible to watch. None of this was ever fixed even though we complained. Also the noise in the hotel was terrible you could hear every kid running down the hall, people talking in the halls, the cleaning ladies Yelling!! to each other all morning 9:00 till 4:30 pm room to room and they took for ever doing this disturbing you. I will never stay here again way overpriced only for name. Hot tub only luke warm bath water temperature. The gaylord palms much less $ much nicer hotel! Try it instead. We thought the hard rock would be very romantic but was very very disappointing!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank toothfairytampa
There are newer reviews for Hard Rock Hotel at Universal Orlando

Reviewed October 21, 2008

When I asked my son what he wanted to do for his 18th birthday, he said he wanted to go to Universal's Halloween Horror Nights. As a surprise, I made reservations at the Hard Rock for 10/3 - 10/5. He was thrilled. Our room was ready when we checked in and the front desk gave my son a b-day bag at check-in with some goodies. Thanks! He loved the pop-rocks.

A balloon bouquet was suppose to be in the room so I went to check with Shannon at the concierge desk. By the time I got back to the room, the balloons had arrived -- with candy!

Room 6082 was clean and bonus - at the end of the hall so it was 1) quiet and 2) had two windows instead of one. Only issue with the room, the phones didn't work when we got there but Harold arrived in about 30 mins. to repair.

Sat. a.m. we ate at the Kitchen buffet breakfast which is everything you could want to eat and reasonably priced. Sat. was spent around the pool - my favorite way to relax. The pool and slide were not crowded this time of year but the water was a little chilly...for me. The kids, the other one is 13, stayed busy shooting pool and playing ping pong.

Sat. night was HHN. We've never been before but we had a lot of fun and plan to go back next year.

Sun a.m. was spent at IOA and then we had lunch at the Kitchen. We shared the BBQ pizza, a Philly cheese steak and BBQ ribs. Yum. After a couple more hours hanging around the pool, it was time to head back to Tampa. All in all, we agreed it was one of our best trips, albeit short, and wanted to go back ASAP.

1  Thank Chevy1
Reviewed October 21, 2008

Had an excellent stay at the hard rock, Very central to everything a family with a teenager needs. Breakfast in the kitchen was awesome. Staff are freindly, very helpful. Room was clean, maid service was excellent. Didnt have any faults i care to mention, had an awesome time, it is pricey but worth every penny. Have a strawberry slush at the poolside they are to die for. Would go back in a flash. Ace time

Reviewed October 16, 2008

This was about our 7th time staying here so we really do love this place/location to the Universal theme parks. We have stayed at the 2 other hotels on site and are happiest at the Hard Rock. But , the hotel seems to be wearing a bit and not being maintained too well [ gate locks at pool , marble steps cracked,pool chairs ,bathromms in rooms ,carpet in halls - you get the picture . Its just not being fixed after it wears - somthing I've noticed but are still going back at Thanksgiving 08 . Parking rate is getting out of hand at close to $25 per day [ up from $14 in Jan 08 ].Staff always top notch /friendly . Cool pool ,food and drinks poolside also getting expensive .

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Michaelangus
Reviewed October 15, 2008

Walking into the hotel made you feel like someone important. Went up to the front desk to check in at 2pm and they were very friendly, the room wasn't quite ready but they took my number and not even an hour went by before they called me to tell me my room was ready, and no request was to big or to small.

Got to the room and it was very clean and modern. Beds were nice and comfortable. Flat screen and iHome were really nice touches. The rooms are nothing over the top but we were barely in the room. Whatever we asked for they brought it up to the room in no time. Bathroom was very clean with all the toiletries in tow. Room service was fast and easy, and the food was pretty good, but not to expensive.

Ate at the kitchen for breakfast and I have to admit that the breakfast served at buffet is the most amzing breakfast I had ever eaten with all the orange juice you can drink. The price is about $20/person a little on the expensive side but we ate our money's worth.

The pool area was amazing and relaxing. The pool is not very deep but it serves it's purpose and the water slide made all of us feel like kids again!

Very short walk to Universal and was very convienent since we were going to Halloween Horror Nights. We also went to Islands of Adventure during the day and used the room keys as express passes which is one of the real values and benefits of staying on-site.

We all said that staying at the Hard Rock hotel will be our new tradition during horror nights! I would definetly stay there again and again!!!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
5  Thank marioeliz
Reviewed October 14, 2008

Highly recommended for families. My 13 yr old son and I just returned from a 5 night/6 day trip. As it was just the two of us I had decided not to book a car and it was the best idea, as the shuttle bus (Mears) was easily accessible, friendly encounters from the service desk to the drivers. Upon arrival at the Hard Rock, smiles everywhere, fast service, no waiting lines to check in and extremely helpful service at the front desk, to booking shuttle buses to and fro SeaWorld/Busch Gardens, restaurant information, maps, etc. The easy accessibliltiy to walk to Universal/Islands of Adventure/City Walk was a plus factor. They keep the grounds in and around the hotel property in perfect condition. The pool bar/restaurant has a diverse menu for all, service was extremely friendly and prices reasonable. Always pool games going on for all, and they try to get all involved. Great place to hang out after a long day out at the parks, as the pool stays open till late in the evening. I wanted a stress free vacation so this was absolutely perfect! Each day we visited a park, by early afternoon we headed to the pool to relax and we either ate by the pool or took a walk over to City Walk to find a place. Only complaint would be that the bathrooms are very small(we were on the 5th floor which has the most standard rooms) and do need to be updated, happy it was only 2 of us in the room. Do recommend asking for a room close to the elevators. Overall, we were highly satisfied with our vacation and would recommend this hotel to anyone.

1  Thank Judy31
Reviewed October 13, 2008

We stayed in a family suite for 5 days in August. Service was excellent at this hotel, from the moment that we arrived. We were greated promptly by valet parking and our car and cases were taken straight away. Yes - you are charged extra to even park but this is well advertised on the hotel's website. We were checked in straight away and our cases arrived in our room 5 minutes later. The family suite was superb and my children aged 14 and 10 benefitted in having their own room. We dined in the Kitchen every morning for breakfast, which was an excellent buffet - I have read people moaning about the $16 dollar per head price, half price for children - this is a 5 star hotel - what do you expect. We also dined in the Kitchen one evening, which served a great filet mignon with excellent service. Having front of line assess was brilliant and meant that we could manage the parks in a morning with the afternoon free to relax. Also the quick water taxi service to Citywalk was brilliant in the evenings with plents of restaurant choices. My children think this is the best hotel they have been to in Orlando and can't wait to return. For the last part of our holiday we stayed in the Animal Kingdom Lodge - Hard Rock beats it hands down for quality of rooms and service.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family