“Enjoyed the Hard Rock!”

Ranked #46 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Enjoyed the Hard Rock!”
Reviewed September 9, 2003

My family and I spent 3 nights at the Hard Rock, from 8/31 thru 9/3. We got a special rate of $135 per night, using the Entertainment card. We thought the hotel was very nice. Our room was spacious and comfortable.
It was nice to have a separate grooming area outside the bathroom. The decor was nice too - the dressing area accessories were all pewter and looked very nice. The location was great - you can walk to the Universal parks and CityWalk, or take the shuttle boat. My husband used the gym, which was very well equipped. You do have to pay a daily fee to use it, which I think was $11. We did not eat at the restaurants, but did use the pool lounge. My son loved the water slide. This is a very nice place to stay while visiting Universal.

4 Thank 566sallyd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,336)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Surrey. Uk
Reviewed September 5, 2003

We have just returned from staying at the Hard Rock Hotel, which having carried out extensive rearch beforehand and reading previous reveiews were expecting something special. However we felt that although it was nice it lacked that wow factor. The rock memrobilla was scant. We would rate it as a nice four star hotel and not five as advertised in the brochure. Certain points to be aware of before you stay, are that the lobby is on the third floor which means that two floors are below. This coupled with the palm trees growing adjacent to the windows can result in restricted veiws. We were originally allocated a room on the third floor for which we had paid for a pool view. You could just see the pool between the large trees. Due to this we upgraded to the club floor. Club level does not mean exclusivity as promoted, just more large families, lots of young children, more noise and chaos when trying to eat in the club lounge. The pool is shallow with two small areas up to four feet deep. The table tenns, shuffle board and giant chess have all seen better days. The hotel is starting to look tired and would benefit from some overdue maintenence. The staff were helpful and friendly. The Sunset grill ofered good food at a reasonable price.

3 Thank MorgansSurrey_Uk
Illinois
Reviewed September 2, 2003

I think it's a great hotel, we just happen to get a lousy room. I knew we weren't going to be in the room much, so I didn't see spending the extra money for the pool view. However, had I known that the "garden view" room would mean putting you in the level below the main floor, then I would have paid the extra money for a pool view.

We stayed in room 1123, the "garden view" window was too dirty to be able to see out of. The carpet in our room had a few stains. The room had a slight musty smell to it. The hallway to our room was very, very cold & the music was much louder than everywhere else, annoyingly so, even for someone who loves rock-n-roll music. The room next to us had their room service dirty dishes out and they sat there for hours. That was a view I didn't ask for! I would have asked to switch, but we arrived late (about 8:30 pm) and the hotel was completely full.

On the bright side, all the staff were very friendly and helpful. My kids absolutely loved the pool and the hotel in general. The hotel is full of energy and fun, not stuffy- at all.

But the best of all, access to express lanes was, BY FAR, THE BEST BENEFIT!! Your room key is all you need to show to hop into the express lanes. That alone is worth the extra money. If you want to go to one of the parks on the day of check-in, you can check-in early in the morning (you're room will not be ready yet however), leave your bags (if you want), grab your room keys and head off to the park to take full advantage of those express lanes. Our flight got in late, so we didn't do that. However, we did go to the park the day we checked-out (check-out is 10:00 or 11 a.m.), but we got to keep our room keys and they were good for express rides until the park closed. I think the longest we waited on any ride was 10 minutes. That is an almost "too good to be true" perk, but it's true! I'd stay in that crappy room again if I had to just for that benefit alone.

However, I felt I had to base my rating on the room, the amenities and service. As I said, I wasn't happy with our room. Another disappointment was that once we were at IOA (Islands of Adventure) we discovered that for some reason their system was not allowing room charges. Apparently their computers were having problems. So, we had to go back to our room to get more cash. Bummer. We didn't eat at any of their restaurants so I can't give an opinion of that.

I would have given a much higher rating if our room was more like what you would expect out of a $230/nite hotel. However, I would give it a second chance, but this time, ask for a pool view room.

• Stayed January 2005
4 Thank Spazz67
Vancouver, WA
Reviewed August 27, 2003

You will not be disappointed in the Hard Rock Hotel! From arrival to our departure, we were treated with first class treatment (Thanks Sarah). The staff was very outgoing, friendly, and helpful. It's a great family hotel--large pool, water slide, large beach area, plenty of lounge cots and chairs at the pool. Kids activities everynight at the hotel. The music is not as loud as you may read or hear about, unless you are near the Sunset Grill Restaurant. Great access to Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure--by a 5 minute walk or a 3 minute boat trip. The room key access to all the rides is AWESOME! The wait time was an average of 7 minutes. We had the budget room--non pool view side (4th floor). But that's OK, our room still had a good view and it served it's purpose. Our family decided on the last night we would stay on the "Concierge Level" (7th Floor). I would only recommend the 7th floor if money was not an issue.

Our family did the 5 Park, 14 day flex-ticket (Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure, Sea World, Wet & Wild Water Park, and Busch Gardens. A great way to see the parks and a good investment! Each park had their own highs and lows for each family member.

Busch Gardens: Do the rides and see the shows, you can see wildlife animals at your local zoo and you would be supporting your local zoo.
Do the rides in the mornings because if the park is not crowded in the afternoons, you may find a ride or two closed down. One Note: Don't miss the Ice Show! It is totally AWESOME!

Sea World: If you're looking at seeing the shows and the marine life, this is the place to do it. But if you have children who are planning on doing rides, you will be disappointed.

Wet & Wild Water Park: It's compact and it will fulfill your water needs. The park is only a few minutes away from the hotel.

Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure: It's a Win-Win experience.
By staying at an Universal Hotel and using your room key to by-pass the lines, you will have a great time! By going this route, you almost forget about the heat and the humidity.

Alaska Airlines was our air carrier and they were great!

Alamo Car Rental: Very convenient at the Orlando International Airport and good service.

If you stay at the Hard Rock Hotel and you are planning on renting a vehicle, have the hotel send you driving directions to and from the airport and theme parks. Also, as you travel to the hotel from the airport, you will travel through two toll-gates. Have at least two dollars of change with you.

6 Thank rscaso
Hertfordshire
Reviewed August 25, 2003

We have just returned from the Hard Rock hotel and from the second we checked in it just got better and better. So much so we have re - booked to return for NewYear. Having stayed at many Orlando hotels over the past 9 years this is the best yet. Every member of staff was friendly. Nothing was too much trouble.Prices were good for food ( which was excellent) and drinks. Hotel was spotless. We highly reccomend to any age group.

2 Thank Kathya100
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 19, 2003

My girlfriend and I went to the Hard Rock for 14 nights expecting a great time and were not disappointed, from the moment we arrived to the minute we left everything was fantastic. All the staff were great and very friendly, except for the pool attendant's who thought that they were better than everyone else. Using the room keys to get front of the line access is priceless, never anymore than a 15 minute wait even when some of the lines are 120 minutes long. The food in the Palm restaurant can be quite pricey but the Sunset Grill is good and the price reasonable. There is constant music, which is great and is not as loud as some people have made out, just right. All in all a great hotel and we will certainly be going back.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 5, 2003

Our stay at the Hard Rock Hotel was the best we ever had. My husband, Daughter(11) and I stayed at the Hotel for 4 nights and we didn't want to leave. Everyone was so nice and accomodating, the room was very comfortable, the decor was elegant and the service could not be beat.
We cannot wait to plan another stay at this fantastic hotel.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member