“Fantastic resort and service, average rooms”

Loews Royal Pacific Resort at Universal Orlando
Ranked #63 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersGold level
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Fantastic resort and service, average rooms”
Reviewed July 15, 2010

Just returned home from our Harry Potter Trip, spending 4 nights at Royal Pacific. We had reserved a water front king room and we were pleasantly surprised to get into our rooms as early as 11AM. Reception clerks, bellman and valet couldn't have been more welcoming and friendly! The room was very nice and well cleaned, but I must admit I had higher expectations from a luxury resort, as the rooms lacked that extra touch of luxury - and no balconies. The lobby and resort grounds were stunning, however.

The great, but not extraordinary, rooms were made up for by the express line access and overall great service by every employee we encountered. On our second night, our TV was having reception issues and I spoke with a manager who addressed the problem efficiently.

No doubt about it - this place is expensive and nothing comes free (there is even a self parking fee).... but this seems to have become commonplace at all luxury hotels I travel to. I don't understand why you stay somewhere cheap and get all of the extras for free, but get nothing when you pay good money at a top-notch hotel. Regardless, the location and express passes made the resort a good value.

We only ate at Jake's American Bar and the sushi bar, both of which were excellent. Try the chicken quesidillas! The entire hotel was spotless, room included. Noise levels in the halls and throughout the resort were higher than we would have liked, but we were traveling at a theme park over the summer and expected to deal with lots of kids.

This was our first time going to an Orlando theme park and not staying at a Disney resort and in my opinion, Disney has some serious competition. We were very impressed and can't wait to return again, but maybe during a slower time!

PROS: Clean, spacious rooms, great grounds and pool, awesome and personable guest service, EXPRESS PASS

CONS: Expect to pay for everything, rooms could use a bit of updating, loud and hectic, could use a bit more staffing to handle the large crowds

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank roberts1975

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,707)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 14, 2010

Stayed here three times total. My family of four teenagers. Normally we are budget travelers but Universal Studios, Orlando is the one place we splurge on. We usually stay a week with the Royal Pacific but we may try Portofino Bay or the Hard Rock just for the sake of trying something new. Concierge desk always finds us great attractions for evenings when kids are done with rides. Great place for teenagers to socialize, meet other teens, and ride tons of roller coasters and rides. City walk is great for food and nightlife. Also great for my husband and myself to relax at the Portofino Bay spa. If you are a family with teenagers then this is the place to splurge! City walk is great for food and nightlife.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank KelseyKin33
Mt Washington, KY
Reviewed July 14, 2010

I booked the Loews Royal Pacific through Universal Parks toll-free number about 10 days out from my anticipated arrival July 4th week... coming into Orlando following cruise ship departure from Port Canaveral. Traveling with my wife, daughter, a relative and her daughter I was well advised that a single night stay here (Monday night) arriving mid-morning would deliver great value with plans for visiting both Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure on separate days..(both Monday & Tuesday).. I received courteous portering of luggage, early check-in, an immediate set of fast-pass keys for attraction use both days, and a quick ride by water taxi into the park. The rooms were spacious and clean and a roll-away bed accommodated the additional child comfortably. I cannot speak to the hotel restaurants amenities or service because they were not used but were certainly of nice decor. However, the pool area was well managed and the hot tubs were outstanding after a long day in the park.

[Note: the only negative of the two days was the ridiculous lines and waits in the Harry Potter area; in fact we could not ride the two main attractions here due to having to wait over 2 hours in each after receiving a delayed reservation to return to this side of the park - perhaps had we arrived timely at the 8am opening for resort patrons instead of at the 9am general admission the experience would have been laudable.]

Loews Royal Pacific's most commendable service was to come at the conclusion of the stay. I had purchased before the trip a $200 set of Oakley sunglasses. I made a point of using the Resort's fitness/spa facility (well worth the $10 extra), and after a workout before a quick dip in the pool and departure Tuesday evening, I mistakenly left behind the Oakley's in the locker room. I did not discover them missing until 10am the next day over 300 miles up the road in Georgia. I phoned the Resort, transferred to the fitness area and spoke with the attendant about my error. He was quite patient and helpful in searching to no avail but indicated that their security department was good about logging missing items. He took my phone number and within minutes an official called back and politely asked proper questions of article identification. He confirmed that my glasses were submitted by the fitness room personnel and offered to UPS ship them to me in Kentucky at no cost despite my willingness to pay. What a great organization of hotel staff! I will definitely be coming here again when in the Orlando area!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank bullcell
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 12, 2010

Letter sent to the corporate office.

To whom it may concern,

I recently stayed at the Loews Royal Pacific in Orlando. I was booked for 8 nights on the club level for a total of nearly $3000. I am writing this letter to inform you that I will never stay at a Loews property again. Not on vacation or for business. I will recommend the same to my direct reports, friends and family.

We left the room in the afternoon to get dinner and visit the parks. During our absence, evening house keeping remade the room. Upon my return, I heard the toilet running, and it was leaking on our possessions. The night manager immediately moved us to a different room and offered us free laundry service for our goods. She also gave us a voucher for 2 free drinks. Naturally, we are not going to have anything laundered, we will dispose of our possessions. The possibility of contamination from fecal coliforms is too great, and I am not the type of person that just wipes off potentially dangerous goods and continues to use them. I would imagine you are the same way.

The next morning, I spoke to the day manager, Craig Curtiss. He took about $140 off of my bill. But honestly, I do not care about the money. What is more concerning is the general hospitality culture at your hotels. When I told the manager that the toilet was not leaking before evening housekeeping came in, he could not believe that the staff would have seen something and not reported it. From my point of view it is very clear, the toilet was not running or leaking before we left, and it was upon our return. He came very close to implying that it is the customer's fault, not the staff. A dangerous attitude for anyone in the service industry. When I told him I would never stay at another Loews property, he simply said "I understand". As did the night manager.

There were some bright spots. Nick, the bartender at the Bula Bar, went out of his way to call a movie theater and wait on the phone to relay show times to us. The valet parking attendants were courteous and helpful with directions. The attendants in the club level lounge were pleasant and helpful.

However, most of your staff needs to be retrained in the basics. For example, I had to answer a question from a guest regarding the early access to parks when your employee was clueless about the basic information. Upon check-out, I asked your day manager about express checkout. He told me to fill out a card, when I asked for a written receipt, he said in a condescending tone “Can’t I just email it to you?”. I have still not received the detailed receipt. In Orlando, the service at Disney is highly regarded as the standard. Loews does not even compare. I vacation in Orlando frequently, and I thought I would try Loews because we were visiting Universal and Islands of Adventure for the new Harry Potter experience. I will never make that mistake again.

Corporate culture comes from the top down, so I do not imagine that you will care about losing a customer. But hopefully this letter will motivate someone in the organization to retrain your staff. If any of the staff had been more contrite or basically trained in customer service, I would not have to write this letter. The staff's attitude of "what do you want me to do about it?" is unacceptable. This is my vacation, I spend 14 hours a day directing people and solving problems, it is unfair to expect the customer to solve your problems.

A copy of this letter will be sent to the travel editors of the Miami Herald, Orlando Sentinel, and the Philadelphia Inquirer, in addition to every conceivable travel website, social networking, and new media outlet. I will also send a copy to corporate offices. Perhaps this letter will serve as a reminder to Jonathan Tisch that “the power of we” crumbles into isolation and failure when you forget the most important stakeholder is the customer.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Larry19123
London
Reviewed July 10, 2010

Me and my family went to the Loews Royal Pacific for two weeks for our third trip to Orlando. There were many positives to this place including the beauty of the place- the lobby was impressive as was the pool, which we could always find sunloungers under the shade for and was pretty empty in the early hours as most went to the theme parks. We ended up going to Citywalk more often than expected as the water taxi ride was quick and easy and even just walking took only five minutes down a clearly lit and signposted path. When we did drive anywhere the concierge was very helpful with advice and instructions, it was easy to reserve a place at a restuarant the same day (we went to Emeril's twice- gorgeous food, if v. expensive!). The beds in the rooms were very comfortable although the lack of a fridge did cause problems, we always had hot water and the air conditioning worked. The best part of this hotel was the friendliness of the staff who we got along very well with. The staff were always onhand around the pool to take food orders or hand out free slices of frozen melon or wet towels, always happy and up for a chat.

It was not perfect. The cleaning staff seemed to be pretty lazy and towards the end of the holiday the sometimes didnt change the rubbish, seemed to be taking more and more cups, the sheets not changed and no clean towels even when placed in the baths like they specified. It was also quite loud with people running up and down the corridors at all times of night screaming which was quite easy to hear. Also there wasnt as something as simple as a kettle!! I can't stand coffee and thought i would at least to be able to have some hot chocolate, but apparently not. The maids also often left the doors propped open, thank god for the safe!! Furthermore the queues for the receptionist was ridiculously long most days taking an hour to talk to them and even after complaining five days in a row for the Daily Mail we'd signed up to recieve every day, then being told they got stolen too much, was an annoyance as it was often to long to queue up and ask. The parking was also really expensive and on the last day we had to park in 'alternative parking' which was a ten minute walk to the hotel (not fun with luggage!).

These are all small things though and overall i was really happy with this hotel. the food was tasty, if expensive. the staff were lovely and the hotel beautiful, I would definately stay again. The only bad points are things I find common to most hotels that are popular. Definately stay here!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank minante
Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed July 8, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for its proximity to Universal and Harry Potter. It was great to be so close...the walking trail was about 10 min. and the water taxis were convenient also.
The room itself was o.k. in size for a family of 4. It could have been a little more spacious....seemed like it was hard to find spots to open the suitcases on the floor w/out someone tripping over them.
Our view was "water view" but got mostly a view of the palm tree outside our window.
Maid service was fine and they were very nice.
Problems were that each room should come with a small fridge....esp. since most people travel w/ kids. Told we had to pay $15 extra a night for the fridge....that would be $100 tacked onto our bill!
Also, one night, after a day at the park, our boys were hungry before bed and one had a tummy ache since he was hungry...it was 9:30 p.m. and I called room service and asked if they could just bring up some boxed cereal and milk for my boys to have before bed. They told me it would be about an HOUR wait to bring it!!! Ridiculous! I told them I would come down to the kitchen and get it myself..they don't have to cook anything! But they insisted I could not come down and this was protocol. After talking to the front desk and manager, they put our order in ahead of others and brought it up to our room within 20 minutes.
The pool was very large, but needed to be kept up and cleaned more regularly...lots of mulch and debris floating around in certain areas.
Other than that, the hotel was pretty and convenient to the parks. Maybe next time will try Universal Hard Rock Hotel to compare.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank cathyb75
derby
Reviewed July 8, 2010

From our first visit to the Royal Pacific, we cannot bring ourselves to stay anywhere else in Orlando, and our 13 year old would be devastated at the thought of an alternative!
We particularly enjoy staying in October during the Halloween Horror Nights period, as the atmosphere is great and the hotel bar is decorated up in great scary theme.
We always find the pool bar staff extremely polite and helpful( one particular guy has been there for a few years now and even remembers what we drink when we return to the hotel after a few months away- how unusual is that??!
The location of the hotel is fantastic and to be able to jump on a boat to Universal and Islands Of Adventure which takes 5 mins is fantastic( no driving involved, a great stress reducer!!)
Also, having the room key as a fast pass for all the rides is a massive bonus!
The dining in the hotel is great, particularly at Chop Chop, but the steaks at Jakes bar also take some beating!!
One particular Front Desk Manager has been extremely kind and helpful during our stays. Hollie Ross makes the effort to ensure that we are being looked after and I would highly recommend her as the one to contact if any problems occur! :)
The pool area is clean and very well kept and my son loved the DJ that was there during Easter break.
On the whole we love the airy, open feel to the hotel, and the fact that is so convenient for the parks, and only a 25 min drive to Florida Mall!!
We usually book a Kids suite which is great, as there is an adult room with TV and a themed Jurrasic Park room adjoining, also with a TV. Plus, if you stay on club level, there is a fantastic lounge which serves complimentary breakfast , early evening snacks and soft and alcoholic drinks.
We have stayed in many hotels in Orlando before trying this one, and have never been tempted to stay anywhere else since, which says it all really!!
Our next visit will be October and we can't wait!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family