“Great place...Would recommend”

GreenLeadersGold level
New York & Florida
“Great place...Would recommend”
Reviewed February 25, 2007

We are a family of four - myself, husband, and two daughters (ages 10 & 13). We ended up staying at the RPR because Hard Rock had no rooms available. We had stayed many times at Hard Rock and had high hopes for Royal Pacific....and we were NOT disappointed. As a matter of fact, I can't believe the other reviewers are taking about the same hotel we stayed at...! We had NONE of the issues mentioned in other reviews. And before you wonder, I will tell you that we travel extensively only staying at 4+ star hotels and we have eaten at some of the finest restaurants in the country...in other words - we are picky, well informed and well traveled. With that said....on to the review -
-Check in was easy and fast. Room was what I requested - 2 beds, lower floor.
-Staff was overly polite.
-Room was clean, orderly, and had a "courtyard" view of lush landscaping. Mini bar was stocked, plenty of towels...
-The hotel grounds were clean and quite attractive. The pool was perfect for our children.
-The children's activities were great. The movies in the pool was so much fun for them! They loved the game room, too!
-The Orchid Lounge was comfortable and relaxing for an evening cocktail or some sushi...Sushi service ends at 11, bar service at midnight. The lounge was family friendly w/o being kid orientated, which was nice since we have older children...they were able to sit with us (unlike Hard Rock's lounge - no kids allowed at all).
-The on site restaurants were good - not great - but good. (We did NOT eat at Emeril's). Our kids LOVED the kids buffet at Island's...Another reviewer said the kids buffet and the food in general was gross?? Don't believe it. While certainly not excellent - far from gross.
-The valet's were quick and helpful....For $18/day plus tipping it is worth the extra money (it is $12/day to self park)...our car was always prompt.
The two CONs were 1.) the beds - they were much too hard...we asked for extra pillows and this seemed to make things a bit more comfy. 2.) ALL THE KIDS. Yes, we do have kids, but I mean - ALL the kids, young "screamers", couples with 4 or 5 young children...strollers all over, mothers changing their kids at the pool in public view. My kids were like, "Mom, these kids are annoying!!" Thank God, these "young" ones seemed to disppear as the evening went on...
Regarding PRICE - to all the people who complained about the money (ie: "nickel and diming") 1.) EVERY 4 or 5 star hotel I have EVER stayed at had extra charges for parking and the gym. 2.) Mini bars are ALWAYS 10x the amount of what you would pay at the nearby 7/11 - this is NOT a trick, but common knowledge 3.) It is okay to use your mini bar for a fridge - we did and always do...You will only be charged for what you eat - we ate some cookies and cereal and were charged accordingly.
Bottom line on price - if you are looking for a bargain - this is NOT your place...4+ stars are expensive, usually much more nightly than we spent here. You will be charged extra for parking, gym, mini bar, the game room, EVERYTHING.
My personal opinion is that at about $250/night (non resident) there are alot of people now able to stay at a 4 star resort (RPR is the cheapest of the Universal Hotels) and thus we are seeing the negative reviews about price and the "expecting more for my money" complaint.
In ending - we had a great time and are looking forward to staying again soon.

~ Happy Travels~

• Liked — Location, Orchid Lounge, Teen activities (game room, night swimming)
  • Disliked — All the very young children, lack of internet connections, hard beds
18 Thank TravelChic214

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,707)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York, NY
Reviewed February 23, 2007

We booked through [--] last year and got a basic room. Everything was great and I loved the place. This year, booked through the hotel, had a Loews First membership, and booked a Concierge Level room. I have had nothing but problems.
Our flt. arrived at 9am, so we checked in just after 10am when we got to the hotel, knowing they wouldn't yet have a room for us. They charged me for all 4 nights at check in (so I couldn't leave???) and said they would call my cell when the room was ready. I thought that would be at about 3pm, so thought we would hang by the pool until then and then head to the parks. I called just around 3 and was told "Oh, no...check in time is 4 pm" (?!?) so we headed to Islands of Adventure. At around 5:15 PM, it dawned on me that they hadn't yet called with a room for us. I called the hotel, and was told "No, no room yet". Finally got a manager on the phone after being on hold for ages, and he said he would call me back. Basically, we weren't assigned a room until about 5:45, and for our $1,700.00 for 4 nights, We had to spend our first day checking our stuff in and out of the bell stand and changing in and out of swimsuits, etc. in the handicapped bathroom. GREAT START TO OUR STAY (NOT)! I do have to say that the manager gave us a free dinner for two for our troubles (see restaurant review, below.) and apologized, but having to speak to him again and again about all the problems with the hotel became embarrassing for me, because I am not normally a complainer (I normally write good letters). There were just so many problems! And each time I would call Star Serive or whoever to get a problem fixed, the would put me back on the phone with this same manager, and it would almost seem like "What now, Mrs. R?". I hated to complain but how else do you get your room cleaned, room service bill adjusted for the food they forgot, etc.?
That night, my son was exhausted, so we ordered room service. The order taker volunteered that since we had a small child, she would put a rush on it, it would be there in 30 minutes. It arrived 55 minutes later and my son was asleep already. Oh, and my order was wrong and the food was ice cold (yum. cold steak and mashed potatoes! for $53.00 plus tip. Waiter gave me a sob story about how the office gets the 20% gratuity automatically added to the bill, not him, so I gave him an extra $5.).
Day 2- at about 9 am, while we were getting dressed to leave, the maids couldn't wait to get in the room and almost knocked me over to get in there to clean. They don't change the sheets EVER! (That bull about conservation of natural resources (really of money for the hotel) so it took her like 3 seconds to clean our room). I never saw a vacuum. (Hallways on concierge level are filthy, and this morning there was a cart just left in the hallway in front of the club so you had to walk around it to get in. No one noticed. Tables in the club on conceirge level were filthy. ).
Day 3- we left the room just after 10 am and I told the maids in the hallway "Okay...we're leaving now. You can get in there".) We returned at 5:00 PM that night and the room STILL HAD NOT BEEN CLEANED! Never got the turndown service. Loews "Star Service" hotline where you are supposed to be able to pick up the phone and get anything is really just the hotel operator, and they will tell you so when you call about a problem like no maid service. Anyway, they sent someone to make the bed right away and empty the waste baskets. (again, they didn't bother to change the sheets or vaccum.)

Oh, also on the morning of day 3, I had bought my son a new toy the day before. While opening it, we discovered it had all these plastic ties. We ran out of the room and poked our head in the club to ask for scissors. The club concierges obliged, but then one thought it necessary to reprimand me in a loud tone for all to hear "Miss...next time you come back please wear shoes!" Another guest was so shocked, he said to the concierge "She just poked her head in for scissors!?!" It's not like I was taking afternoon tea barefoot!

The bell staff is excellent (and wrote a letter stating that last year.) Some of the things the hotel does are cool (like showing a movie Friday night at the pool so the kids can be in the pool and watch the movie at the same time.) Front desk staff is incompetent, and the maid service is certainly lacking. The Seafood buffet and the kids buffet were disgusting. Room service food cold. Really, don't waste your money. No wonder Disney Resorts were all sold out and this hotel had plenty of rooms available!

• Liked — Movie for kids at the pool
  • Disliked — Terrible service
7 Thank NicoleR64
tampa
Reviewed February 22, 2007

What a beautiful hotel. We stayed with a Florida resident rate so it was affordable. It was clean and the rooms were very nice. Staff was very friendly. It really is worth staying at the on site hotels for the "Express Pass" they are so nice to have and use during your stay. Pool area looks fun. It was too cold for us floridians. We walked to the parks and took the boat which was very easy and enjoyable. We would def stay there again. Had a 14 and 12 year old with us and they loved it too!

• Liked — very nice atmosphere
2 Thank Basketballer
NYC
Reviewed February 21, 2007

I was booked to appear on IVillage Live and my publicist booked me at this hotel for the night before. My publcist paid for the room in advance but when I got there, I had to wait 20 minutes while they looked for the payment folder, was then told it was not paid and after I angrily explained they needed to find the information, they said "We'll handle it when you check out since today is Sunday." After all of that, I am told my room is not ready. BTW, the next morning, everything was fine as the morning manager said there was a card number in there the whole time and she had no idea what the issue was.

I did at that moment. To buy room cleaning time,

The Rooms: Fine- Clean, no complaints.

The Hotel- Unless you have children, do not stay here. This is for families and feels like a theme park.

The food- Very expensive.

At 230.00 for a room in Orlando, Florida, meals should be included or at least cost less than they do in NY.

Stayed February 2007
3 Thank Creativelolita
NH
Reviewed February 19, 2007

Booked our vacation directly thru Universal Vacation website. This is a beautiful resort. Grounds are clean. Staff are friendly. rooms are small, yet pretty. Check in was quick

I had 2 rooms, one with 2 queen beds for my kids and the other joining room with a king for my Husband and myself. My kids had the queen beds and they were comfortable. The king size are as hard as rocks. My back hurts. The difference is unreal.

For the money I paid, The room while comfortable had flaws. Dirty walls and torn carpet. Pricing for the mini bar/fridge is ridiculus. $2.00 plus tax for coke. ( $2.47). The pool area is pretty, I have seen better and prefer the Disney area over Universal. The Universal resorts do NOT have complimentary transportation to and from the airport and I mentioned this to the staff upon check out that this was dissapointing.

While I enjoyed the hotel and the property. I think for the money spent, you should not have to pay for the car rental fees, $12.00 a day to park at the garage with no security. I declined the car rental. Gym fees at $15.00 per person per everytime you wish to use the gym. Breakfast buffet at $16.50 per person does not include beverages same at Universal. Continental breakfast $2.50 for a bagel, just to let you know.

If I had it to do over, I would stay on International drive and get the express pass tickets. Although this hotel is 5 minute walk to the city walk and theme parks, this was a plus. Just nickel and dime you to death, but hey that is Florida and part of the trip.

Stayed February 2007
2 Thank RonSueNH
Seattle
Reviewed February 13, 2007

We booked this hotel over 6 months in advance for our 3 night vacation stay at Universal. Overall the resort is nice, but the staff are a bunch of bungling twits. We arrived to find out that we had to take a double/double room because they were out of rooms with King size beds. The husband show the front desk the printed out reservation with the King size bed on it. Her reply was they only guarantee a room, not what beds will be in it.

So off to our room to find that it is a sub grade room with a view of a bush. The ice bucket has no liner in it, and the toilet runs on. We had drunks pounding on the doors at all hours of the night, and someone decided to play with their dog in the hallway at 3am. Including barking.

The front desk calls to say they have a King size room for day 2-3, and they will have our luggage moved the next day. In the morning, we pack up our luggage and leave it by the door as they requested. We show up from walking all over Universal at 5pm and stop at the front desk to get our new room keys. We get they new keys, but the luggage has not been moved. The front desk can't pull this one off. We go to the room and wait another hour before our luggage shows up so we can change our clothes to go to dinner. Bellman claims that it is poor communication between the front desk and the bell desk. Might want to work on that?

In the new room, the TV picture goes blank every 15 minutes.

We are now ready to check out and call the bell desk. We wait 45 minutes, and no one shows. We need to get going to the airport, so we drag our own luggage down.

We have called the valet park to bring up the rental car, but the doormen insist that they have brought up our car. "No, our car is not here."
"You don't have a white truck?"
"No."
"What kind of car did you have?"
"Gold Van."
30 minutes of waiting later they cough up the van.
It was just the topper. The husband goes to find the hotel manager who claims that none of this could have happened because they are 5 start resort. Can you say "denial?"

In summary the property WAS nice, but they need to do some upgrading.
The staff knows that they will always have customers and treat their guests as such. They really need a lesson in hotel management. Do not go here if you are looking for any kind of professional customer service or competance on the part of the staff.

• Liked — Decor
  • Disliked — The Staff
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
5 Thank KitKatSeattle
Rochester, Michigan
Reviewed February 12, 2007

My husband had business at a Universal venue, so we booked the onsite hotel right away. February is a quiet time to visit - more business people than families. The Royal Pacific rooms are smaller, but beautifully appointed. We were without children and therefore, had time to appreciate most of the hotel. The poolside bar was convenient and the nachos ($10) were generous and delicious. Their staff was very attentive and cheerful. We had a breakfast buffet at the full service restaurant and used the continental coffee shop another morning. Both had good food, service and were priced right. The weather wasn't hot so we didn't use the pool much. Ducks have made it home and that was one draw back. They were messing on the pool deck. We enjoyed bot the walk and boat ride to the parks and City Walk. If you prefer Islands of Adventure - it's very close and this would be the best Universal hotel for you.

• Liked — Wonderful amenities, priced well, proximity to attractions
  • Disliked — ducks in pool
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business