Loews Royal Pacific Resort at Universal Orlando
GreenLeadersGold level
Coral Springs, Florida
“Hated it!”
Reviewed June 8, 2005

Ok, so at check in I prepaid as this was for a business/personal trip. The front desk clerk was not the nicest person and was even ruder when she told me that I owed another $400.00! I let her know that I had prepaid and after having to get a manger involved all was taken care of. The food is aweful in this resort, other than the way expensive Emerils, but hey its Emerils! The room was ok, but the stupid wood carving in the wall that seperates the shower and the beds, made it hard for one person to get ready while the other got to sleep in. Who thought that up?! The service was subpar at best. The employees in the gift shops were very unimpressive and got annoyed when I asked a question. This happened in both shops and three different employees. For what I paid I expected better service than I received. Oh, and the hotel is pet friendly so don't be suprised to see people walking their dogs through the lobby!

The only upside to this horrible stay was the front of line access to Universal, but even that couldn't make up for the lack of good food and not great service!

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,758)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed June 3, 2005

My husband and I just returned from a great time at the Royal Pacific Resort! I must admit that I was a bit leary after reading many negative reviews but found that our stay was positive in almost every single way. From the time we drove up at 9:20A.M. in the morning, not expecting our rooms, but hoping for an early check-in so that we could hop on over to the theme parks, to the time that we checked out three days later, everything was fabulous.
Being a Universal Studios Preferred Annual Pass Holder, we got a great price break on our rooms, believe me it's worth the investment if you only go once. On arriving at the front desk, I was told that not only could we check in early, but that our rooms were ready!!! The desk clerk was all smiles and extremely friendly and helpful. We made our way to our room which overlooked the pool area. It was gorgeous, clean and very large for the two of us with a king bed and a very large bathroom area. We had plenty of towels, toiletries, everything was spotless. We unpacked and made our way to the boat launch area to head to the park. The fast pass, your room key, is the greatest. Going to the front of the line when the line is forty five minutes long is great!!!
There were extra pillows in the closet and a paper at the door every morning. Our room was cleaned early as we requested and nothing was ever missing or out of place in our room.
One of the great benefits of staying on-site is the fast-pass and the easy access to the parks. CityWalk is great fun and the boats run every 15 minutes until 2:15 in the morning to bring you back to your hotel. Be sure and make reservations if you want to eat at any of the more popular restaurants, they fill up fast!!! The hotel concierge can help you with that.
The pool area is fabulous, it is huge, there is plenty of room for everyone. There are always enough lounge chairs and umbrellas. The towel booth never seems to run out of big, fluffy towels and the lifeguard makes sure that no one gets out of hand in the pool. You can lay out by the pool or on the sandy beach, but you cannot swim in the lagoon.
The prices in the restaurants at the hotel are very expensive!!! We only ate there once. The rest of the time we ate at Universal or at City Walk.
The biggest and really only complaint I have are the drink prices at the pool. WOW!!!!!!!! They are outrageous. $9.50 for a mixed drink is crazy, I don't care where you are getting it. The staff at the pool are the best, very friendly and fun, but it doesn't make up for the prices they charge for the drinks.
All in all, our stay there was great, the staff were all friendly, everyone we saw, from housekeeping to waitstaff to boatcaptains were all friendly, polite, smiling and happy. The landscaping was absolutely beautiful, the walk from the resort to Citywalk is beautiful. I look forward to going back again.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Miami
Reviewed May 31, 2005

Me and my family had a great time. The access to all of the Universal and Islands of adventure rides using the fast pass was well worth the price of our room. The pool was great for kids! I have a toddler and he loved it.
I highly recommend this hotel

Stayed May 2005
1 Thank cmendez37
Reviewed May 31, 2005

After we waiting about 40 minutes in a line to check in at 10:00 at night, we were informed the crib we called ahead for was in our room. It was not. I called twice for it, and on the second call, was informed they were out of cribs! I went to the lobby and could not find anyone to help. I finally grabbed a bellboy and asked if he could find a manager. The manager was able to track down a pac and play, and promised a real crib for our other nights' stay. Never came. Never heard from them.

Our milk and cookies we were suppose to get from being a Loews member finally came late the second night after 3 phone calls. There were 5 of us. We received 3 cookies and 2 glasses for milk!

There was one boat working taking us to Universal. That was a long wait in another line.

The only positive thing I have to say is that the pool and hotel is beautiful and it was nice not standing in any lines once we finally got inside the park.
I will try Hard Rock or Portofino if we ever go back.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hoover, AL
Reviewed May 22, 2005

I was disappointed with our stay at the Royal Pacific. The hotel itself was beautiful. The rooms were small, but nicely decorated and the beds were comfortable. The short walk to Universal and the express pass was almost priceless.

The service is what is lacking at this hotel. We had 5 people in our room, and had requested a rollaway when we first made the reservation months before. We were told at check in we would receive it within 15-20 min. but only received it 7 hours and a few phone calls later. I am a Loews first member and was told I would receive my free amenity the day of arrival, but received it 3 days and many calls later. The housekeeping did not leave enough towels and washcloths for 5 people (only 2 clean washcloths one day). The housekeeping woke us up at 8:00 a.m. wanting to clean our room one morning, when we opened the door to see what they wanted no apology was given, only the statement "I will come back later". She did come back later (at 10:00 am and we were still in the room), still no apology. The hotel provides a free shuttle to Sea World and Wet-n-Wild, yet most employees do not know of this service. The ones that do only know/provide partial/incorrect information. We missed the free shuttle due to incorrect information given to us.

I have never written a hotel after a stay due to being unhappy with the service, with the exception of this hotel. I am not a hard person to please, but if you advertise or say you will do something, all I want is for it to be followed through.

I may stay at this hotel again, only because of the proximity to the park and the express pass, but I will think twice before trying any other Loews hotel.

14 Thank bamatravel
Reviewed May 21, 2005

We stayed at the Royal Pacific for spring break. My husband, myself and my 3 boys. The resort was wonderfully decorated. If I didn't know that I was in Florida, I would have thought I was somewhere in the South Pacific.
The room was nicely done, but on the small side, especially with a cot. I thought the look of the hotel, took care of the small room. As far as eating in the hotel, I thought it was on the expensive side. We did eat the buffet breakfast 2 mornings, which was quite good and filling. The water taxi's over to the park were wonderful. When you take the taxi's at night and everything is lit up is it just beautiful. We ate all our dinners at City Walk.
Having the room key as the fast pass, was worth is weight in gold. My kids went on Men in Black 5 times in a row, while the other people were still in line. I would stay in the park just to get the room key again!
All in all the hotel, parks, city walk. I would recommend them all! WE had a great time.

• Stayed April 2005
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Lancaster
Reviewed May 19, 2005

After reading some of the reviews here we were a bit concerned, but those concerns were totally unfounded. This was our 6th Orlando trip, 3rd at Universal, 2nd at a Loews Resort.
This resort was gorgeous. The entire staff was great without being "Disney cheerful" (a little too sugary for us), just sincere, helpful, and nice.
Our family of 4 stayed in Tower 3, 6th floor, in a King Suite which was plenty big enough, and very pretty. Lots of closet space and drawers to put our weeks worth of clothing.
We enjoyed the Orchid Lounge after a long day, just chilling out playing cards and relaxing. Also ate at Jake's, which has a great outdoor seating area with a little waterfall.
The pool is really nice. The kids loved shooting at people with the water cannons. The food there was good too.
There were 2 conventions going on, if not more, but the conventioniers were very nice and amazingly quiet.
The walk to the parks is very quick, maybe 8 minutes with preteens, and you can lizard hunt. Or take the shuttle bus, or boat.
A few perks to keep in mind, show your ROOM KEY at the parks to get Express Access at all the rides (except Pteradon Flyers), and Priority Seating. Sign up for a Loews First card to get some perks at the resort.
We LOVED the Royal Pacific and its staff. Thanks!!!!

12 Thank Lisa D