“The most memorable trip we've had in a while!”

Loews Royal Pacific Resort at Universal Orlando
Ranked #59 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersGold level
Berkshire
“The most memorable trip we've had in a while!”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Royal Pacific in May 2013 for our 10th wedding anniversary. I'd emailed a few details ahead and had a few emails back and forth regarding our anniversary. The staff were more than accommodating and went above and beyond anything I ever expected - credit goes to Jenny and Raymond for arranging everything.
We had booked a club room; however, during my email exchanges it was discover that we would be getting two queen beds rather than a king and a sofa - this isn't a huge deal but an adjustment was made unbeknownst to me to change it - I'd also mentioned that we were huge Universal fans (big kids) and it'd be great to have a room facing the park.....
We arrived at approximately 5pm and were directed to the car park. We decided to walk up to reception as we'd been sitting for the best part of 10 hours on the plane/driving to the hotel.
The lobby was quiet - and we were welcomed, checked in, and congratulated on our anniversary, then sent over to the concierge area to get our express passes, which is a very quick and easy process (using the passes in the parks is invaluable, I'm not sure I'd ever do Universal without them, we literally never waited longer than 5 mins for any ride - apart from those excluded from the express benefit).
We then went up to our room - top floor of the Royal Tower. We walked into the room and were gobsmacked. The view of the park was amazing. We were also overlooking the huge pool. The room itself was as you'd expect, very clean and well maintained - we had absolutely no issues with it. After 5 minutes of settling in there was a knock at the door - and in walked a staff member with a cheese and fruit platter and a bottle of wine. Completely complimentary. Brilliant.
The Club Lounge was nice - lots of complimentary food and drinks - including alcohol if you want it. The concierge that greeted us on the day of arrival was very helpful, incredibly nice and full of helpful information - definitely speak to him if you get the chance.
The facilities at the hotel looked great - although to be honest we were out so much that we didn't get a chance to use the pool, gym, bars or restaurants (other than Emerils Tchop Chop..more on that later)
The water taxi is a great way to arrive in CityWalk, but walking is also pleasant and quiet. Even late at night we felt quite safe, although I'd not do the walk unaccompanied.
On the day of our anniversary, we returned from a busy day at the parks to a bottle of chilled champagne and chocolate covered strawberries! Again, brilliant! We were also treated the next day by Stephen in the Club lounge - again with more chocolate covered strawberries! We also had a meal at the Tchoup Chop - the food was great as we expected it to be. At the end of the meal the waiter arrived with some lovely ice cream with "Happy 10th Anniversary" written on the plate in chocolate - its little touches like this really made our trip a special and memorable one.
The grounds of the hotel are lovely - so lush with greenery - and I'd also like to add that although we were in a room overlooking the pool, we were never kept awake by music or activities, on the couple of nights we did go to bed early.
We will definitely be returning. Had an absolutely amazing time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WeTravelSometimes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,737)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I am a Disney Fan, but after receiving a 40% discount offer in my email on a club level room I figured I'd give Universal a chance. I always stay on-site at WDW at Saratoga Springs, the Beach Club, or Key West, using my DVC points. Loew's Royal Pacific was very similar to the resorts, and in some ways better (they have water dispensers all around the pool area, the pool itself was bigger than SS and KW, probably not BC, they had more lounging chairs, they had complimentary beverages of the day in the lobby like Strawberry Lemonade). Their staff at the club level was amazing, very helpful and always nice. I had never stayed at a club-level before, so it was nice; they offered a decent continental breakfast, happy hour with snacks, wine, and beer (snacks is really not sufficient, you could consider it dinner), and desserts every night before bedtime. They came to our room every night to see if we needed anything, and handed out small bottles of water. I felt very pampered. Perhaps the nicest perk is the front-of-the-line Express Passes that hotel guests get which were wonderful (if a bit unfair).
HOWEVER, even with the discount, it was $250 a night, with self-parking at $18 (valet $25) and internet extra ($10/night). I'd give the room itself a 7 out of 10. It had a comfortable king bed and a sleeper sofa with a Keurig and flat-screen TV. They did have a stocked mini-bar, which I suppose you could take stuff out and use for a personal frig, but I like that Disney doesn't charge me for refrigerators and doesn't put mini-bars in their rooms that charge outlandish prices for things the kids will inevitably want.
I also didn't like that we were locked out of the club level on the last day of our stay; our flight didn't leave Orlando until 8PM, and I would expect after spending $2000 in the hotel I would be able to use the club lounge my last day, but I had to go argue with the concierge to get that privilege restored, which they did reluctantly, citing that it was an exception to the rule.
Staff in the Lounge and the maid service were awesome; not so much the front desk. There was often a line at the front desk, and it took awhile to process guests, although Disney sometimes is the same, however I'd give Disney higher marks on customer service at the front desk.
Their transportation options were not as extensive as Disney, but to be fair their resorts are not sprawled out all over the place. I tried their water taxis a couple of times to get from the hotel to the parks, but they only had one running the whole time I was there (the Captain told us the first day we were there she was the only one as they were having staffing issues), so waits were usually 20 minutes or so, and it was faster to walk.
Overall, it was a great place to stay, and I would love the chance to go again, but it will have to be a REALLY special occasion (this trip was a honeymoon trip) to justify the cost.

Room Tip: I thought Tower 3 was a great location because the elevators put you right out at the pool.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank R R
england
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Having stopped at this hotel now on a number of occasions I can honestly say that it is by far the best way to experience the Universal Orlando resort.
The rooms were clean and spacious the bar and dinning good.
Thia time we used the pool more than usual we found it to be clean plenty of staff on hand to help great bar and snacks and lots of clean pool towels.

The great plus also is the fast pass which on a busy hot day is worth it's weight in gold!
We will go back again and again.
Also now with extra park hours for the fantastic Harry Potter experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Basey
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We've been to Orlando at least seven times now and have only stayed at the property on Universal Studios. Out of all three hotels this place is the best. It definitely appeals to us with the concept of peace, tranquility, calm and zen. We've loved this place every time we visit. This is our go to hotel and the staff and restaurants are all great if you don't want to venture out.

Room Tip: Actually stayed in May 2011 but that was not a choice.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank greenhouse515
Lake Worth, Florida
Reviewed June 5, 2013

The hotel was comfortable and clean. The real benefit was the ability to take a water taxi from the hotel to the parks. Also with hotel reservation comes the express pass and the early admission to the Islands of Adventure. This allowed us to see the entire park and all attractions and rides in less than 6 hours. Many rides were backed up for over an hour but we still didn't have to wait more than 10 minutes on any ride. Worth the extra price of the room just for this. BTW Best food was at Margaritaville and the Nascar Ribs were also good.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank TropiFan
LRPR, General Manager at Loews Royal Pacific Resort at Universal Orlando, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Aloha TropiFan!

We are very excited to see what a wonderful experience you had while staying at our resort! It’s great to see what a benefit staying with us had on your Universal Theme Park experience, and we hope you will visit with us again!

Royal Palm Beach
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel twice now. The first time was exceptional and we hoped to have a similar experience on this trip. We booked three nights instead of two because we felt the two night trip made us feel a little rushed on the last day. This time, we left relaxed and had a full park and hotel visit. We will probably even add one more day next time because the whole family really likes to spend a lot of time around the hotel in addition to the theme park visits. The pool area is exceptional and the food there is very good, especially for the prices. Make sure to try the nacho appetizers.
The service was excellent on both trips. This time we had a few minor issues with the room we were in but the staff addressed each one promptly and effectively so our visit was not diminished in any way. All in all, we like the universal parks and the hotels. The Royal Pacific being our first choice whenever we come to Orlando and the Universal/ Islands of Adventure Parks.

Room Tip: Get a first floor Tower 1 room if you plan to go to the pool and walk to the parks often.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kommander2
Aloha Kommander2!

Thank you for taking the time to write about your exceptional stay with us! It is thrilling to see that we were able to exceed your expectations during your second visit, especially in regards to our team’s guest service skills. We are so pleased that your entire family was able to thoroughly enjoy the theme park and pool facilities, especially the pool side nachos! We hope to welcome you and your family back very soon!

Ohio
Reviewed June 4, 2013

The Royal Pacific Resort is one of three Lowes-owned resorts connected to the Universal Studios theme park (also the Portofino Bay Hotel and Hard Rock Hotel). All three resorts are connected by a scenic canal and adjacent walkway, with Universal Studios situated right in the middle. If you don't feel like a leisurely stroll along the walkway, guests can ride in the water taxi is available carries passengers from place to place.

I traveled to Orlando on business to attend a conference held at the Portofino Bay Hotel. I was late making my reservation, so the conference rooms were full. So they graciously offered me a room at the Royal Pacific at the conference rate (+1 for service). Because the two hotels were at opposite ends of the complex, I was a little concerned...but that quickly disappeared as I gazed at the gorgeous tropical landscaping along the pathway.

Fortunately, the visual journey didn't stop there. The hotel itself follows a well-executed Polynesian theme. At the center of the lobby is a lush, tropical garden. Dark teak wood and bamboo is prevalent throughout, accented with Polynesian artwork and trinkets. There are several very nice restaurants on-site, which I would have liked to try, but there was always food available at the conference I attended, so I didn't get to partake.

I traveled solo, so I requested a single room with queen bed. The room was very clean and well-maintained. The room size was 'comfortable', but I spent very little time there. Housekeeping staff was very flexible and worked with my conference schedule, so I could relax in a clean room between meetings; I just coordinated times with guest services.

Overall, I was very pleased with my stay at the Lowes Royal Pacific Resort. As a matter of fact, I didn't want to leave. It's a little pricey for my personal budget, but if given the opportunity to visit again for business, I would do it in a heartbeat.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Bill4CYT
Aloha Bill4CYT!

Thank you for such a stunning review of your recent visit to our resort! We are ecstatic to see how much you enjoyed the Polynesian theming throughout the property, and how accommodating our staff was to your conference needs. We truly hope to welcome you back again soon, whether it is for business or pleasure.