“Nacho's vacations”

Loews Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal Orlando
Ranked #64 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 22, 2014

This hotel is very inflexible to have a little late checkout I have a problem with a half an hour late checkout.
the bed was not the best, sleeping on that bed is like sleeping downhill.
Not all the channels on TV work as it supposed to do.
th3ey promise to e-mail the bill and you have to call to get it.

Room Tip: the royal pacific hotel is much better
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
LPBHManager, General Manager at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Thank you for your comments. Please be assured we do our very best to accommodate late check-out requests but given that we are a very high occupancy On-Site Universal Resort requests cannot be granted on some days. As far as your bill is concerned please accept my sincere apologies for not sending it as promised. One request to our team upon checkout should have been all it took for this bill to be sent. We truly appreciate your business and hope that we have an opportunity to welcome you back again in the future, and trust that you will be impressed with our commitment to guest service.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

We spent 3 nights here last week and give it mixed reviews: the hotel rooms are amazing and HUGE. biggest bathroom I've seen in a standard room rate. But the pool bar food quality, service and drink quality absolutely ruined it for us. I know that sounds crazy, but after park hopping all day, our whole party of 4 adults and 4 kids just wanted a good dinner and some drinks. a) the atmosphere at the pool is DULL--there's no music to relax to. Could barely hear the dive-in movie b/c the volume was low, and this was a SAt night stay. b) food was not good: i ordered an $18.99 coconut shrimp salad and was served a salad with 3 small shrimp, and the spiciest dressing that made the salad inedible. I ate it b/c I was starving...and c) service was HORRIBLE. Things came out incorrect and late. d) the drink menu is not appealing and the drinks are just not well made. We waited 12 minutes for our drinks. :-( Much better pool service at the Royal Pacific pool and Hard Rock pool.

2  Thank janiac1
LPBHManager, General Manager at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2014

We thank you for bringing these details to our attention and are so sorry to hear that you encountered challenges during your visit. We understand the importance of a relaxing pool retreat after a long day at the parks and your experience should not have fell short of this. This is certainly not representative of the high standards we have. We value your feedback and will certainly pass on your comments to the culinary team and pool staff.

Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

Very rude and unkind this time! We been a frequently guests of this hotel but not any more! The bathrooms make a very loud noise all the time, even at night! The room service take so long....like 1 hour!!! Then in our last day we ask for 1 hour late check out and they don't give us the chance but worst they were unkind and rude, very bad experience!!!

Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank lurogo9

Thank you for your comments. Customer service is our highest priority and we would like to speak to you regarding your stay and the concerns you have shared. Please accept our apologies and know that our goal is to make every guest feel pampered during their stay. We would value the opportunity to speak with you directly. Please contact us at: portofinogeneralmanager@loewshotels.com so that we may schedule a call at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed May 20, 2014

I stayed at Portofino Bay with my husband and four children, aged 17, 16, 11, and 9 this past weekend as a long weekend getaway. Though I use trip advisor all the time for travel ideas, I tend not to write reviews. I decided to write a review this time because I feel that this hotel has the ability to be excellent and needs to make improvements in a few key areas that they may not be aware of. I would like to stay there again so having these issues addressed would be great.

First, I arrived at 1am with three of my children (husband and other child came a day later). Check in was smooth and I reminded the desk clerk that we had requested adjoining rooms for the following day when my husband arrived. He told me that our room was in the west wing. Having read previous trip advisor reviews I knew that it was tricky to find these rooms and asked for specific instructions to the room. At 1 am I wasn't interested in getting lost while dragging my luggage through the piazza with the kids. There was no offer of use of a cart or someone to show us to our rooms. So we dragged our luggage through the piazza looking for the west wing entrance. It really wasn't that easy to find and I was annoyed. Having said that, I saw many new guests arriving in the daytime with a bell hop pushing their luggage and pointing out the various restaurants in the piazza. Maybe they are short staffed at night but it felt uncomfortable walking past the outdoor bar area trying to find our rooms in the dark.

The other major issue we encountered was housekeeping. We stayed 5 nights and on three occasions they came pounding on the door at 830am. Before I could hop out of bed and run to the door they had opened it. I could hear the housekeeper going from room to room knocking and trying to open doors so I suspect others also appreciate sleeping a little later on their vacation. When cleaning the rooms the housekeepers let the doors go so they bang against the safety latch. From 830 until 10 am I probably heard 50 slams of the heavy doors as the housekeepers went back and forth to their carts. You could see where the paint was knocked off the doors from the slamming.

Finally, though we requested adjoining rooms with the kids, there was one room that separated us. The hotel did not appear particularly busy. I find it hard to believe that they did not have two of our room types side by side. Its a little thing, but the fellow at the front desk was pretty disinterested so I can't help but think he didn't try too hard to be accommodating.

Having said all of this, I thought this was an excellent hotel. We went to all of the restaurants, and to BICE twice which was incredible. There is no better place to stay if you plan to visit the Universal parks. Much has been said about these perks by other reviewers so I won't repeat!

Room Tip: West wing is well located but make sure if you stay there (or in the east wing) that someone from th...
1  Thank meredithoakville

Thank you for your feedback! We are always looking for ways to improve so we really appreciate you taking the time to show us where we need to better focus our attention. I will be forwarding your comments to the appropriate departments to ensure action is being taken to enhance our guest experience. We look forward to welcoming you back, and are confident you will be impressed with our commitment to excellent guest service.

Reviewed May 20, 2014

To our horror, my husband and I were infected by bed bugs while staying at this hotel. Although the hotel has admitted it, they will not apologize or take responsibility for it. Really unbelievable! And they admitted that our room was still infested with bed bugs over a week after we had checked out. Who knows how many others have been contaminated before and after we were? It is disgraceful that a hotel that charges this much a night does not have staff and procedures in place to detect and eradicate bed bugs before selling their rooms to unsuspecting travelers for hundreds of dollars a night.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
40  Thank Traveler12302014
Reviewed May 20, 2014

The Portofino has the feel of an Italian village (Cinque Terre, perhaps). It was a quiet respite from the parks. There is a free water taxi which takes you down to the parks. The pools were nice. The Beach Pool was popular with kids of all ages. From an adult perspective, they have large, padded lounge chairs with oversized towels. With an attentive wait staff and good drinks, it was a fun place to hang out. NOTE: Staying in a Universal hotel means you get free Express Passes (for front of the line access in the parks). That was HUGE. Some of the lines were large, it allowed us to do all we wanted in the parks and still have time to lounge about the pools at the hotel. It also allows you early entry into Islands of Adventure, which is important because the Harry Potter area gets mobbed. Take advantage of early entry and knock out the Harry Potter area first (Note: Express Pass does not apply to the newest Harry Potter attraction so hit it first).

2  Thank BLT1991
Reviewed May 18, 2014

The staff at the Portofino club lounge took extra special care of me and my family. Leslie M. made me feel right at home at I will be returning to the Portofino Bay soon because of Leslie M! Thank you Leslie! ...Yo!

Room Tip: Rooms with a pool view are awesome!
6  Thank Jason T