“Best hotel at the mouth of Universal” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Doubletree By Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando

Doubletree By Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando
Ranked #185 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Beckley, West Virginia
“Best hotel at the mouth of Universal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

I saw this hotel when I was looking for the closest hotel to Universal without staying on property for one night (we were staying at the Hard Rock the next night). I was leery because even though it said it was "walking distance" to Universal I wasn't sure what walking distance meant. However, we were pleasantly surprised that it indeed was about a 10 min walk to City Walk. The hotel was lovely, beds were comfy and we even had a Universal view from our room. If you can't stay on property at Universal (which I still recommend atleast one night for Universal Express & early entry to Harry Potter) this is the best you can get. Highly recommend!

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

2 Thank Jennifer K
Louis E, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree By Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Jennifer K,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review. I really appreciate your comments and I have shared them with our entire staff. I am glad you enjoyed our location and the Universal view from your room. Please come back and see us the next time you visit Universal Orlando.

Louis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

The hotel was great. The location was fabulous with walking distance to Universal. The hotel room was clean and had an awesome view of Universal Studios. Will definitely come back and stay. My family and I enjoyed our stay and Starbucks is right in the lobby which is very convenient. It is located near lots of restaurants.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

1 Thank 589stacieh
Dear 589stacieh,

Thank you so much for the review. I am so happy that you had such an awesome stay. I am glad you enjoyed our location and our rooms. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Memphis, TN.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

Went to see Blue Man Group and have dinner at Emeril's both on Universal City Walk. Got a great rate for two nights and could easily walk there. Staff was very helpful. Staying on a Universal Property was very expensive if you only want to use City Walk which has no entrance fee.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pjwenzel
Dear pjwenzel,

Thank you so much for staying with us. I am so happy to hear what a wonderful time you had staying with us. I truly appreciate you taking the time to share this review. Please come back and see us the next time you are visiting Orlando.

Greensburg, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

We stayed at the Double Tree hotel at the entrance to Universal Studios for our visit to the park on our vacation. Like many other reviewers we were not thrilled with having to pay to park at the hotel because it was "at the entrance" to Universal. Not really. Our check in went smooth thanks to the affable Linda. Our room was clean and spacious. We had requested a corner room with a view and they really came through! We ate dinner at the Carnivale restaurant and the food was great and the service was wonderful, thanks to Greg! Breakfast the next morning at the hotel was a buffet and the food was OK, but what REALLY left a BAD taste in our mouths was the price! The buffet was $19.95 each, so our little, not very good meal cost us nearly $80!!! The two time we had dinner at the hotel cost less each time. IF we stay here again, we will go OUT to eat. Service was very good overall, but a few surprises were not welcome.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room on an upper level with a view of Universal Parks. You can watch the fireworks...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Barriger
Dear Barriger,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this review with us. We truly appreciate your comments on our property and staff. I have shared this with Linda and Greg and it made their day. I have also passed on your comments about the pricing to our Food and beverage managers. We do have some packages in the hotel that include the breakfast buffet with the room. Thank you again for letting us know how we doing and please come back and see us again.

Best regards,

Plantation
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

For a Hilton brand, this hotel was a little disappointing. The location was great, about a 10-15 minute walk to the gate of Universal. The parking was quick and easy and they stored our bags all day since we arrived early.

The hotel is clearly a bit on the older side. They've done a decent job at keeping this up to date, however they've missed enough to give it a slight dated feel. The King Bed room was pretty large and had floor-ceilings windows with a distant view of the park. Furniture and appliances were in good shape, clean and comfortable. Bathroom was spacious, a little dated and had sandpaper soft towels. I didn't hear a peep from the hallway or the neighbors (big plus).

The staff experience really wasn't a typical Hilton Hotel experience for us. Some were hospitable and some were just cold and unwelcoming (specifically in the breakfast restaurant). Speaking of breakfast, you pay $19 plus 16% tip for something you normally get free. If it wasn't for the omelette station, I'd be very upset I paid $19 for it. They have other a la carte options, but they were basically itemized options from the buffet. So, just go with the buffet.

The pool area needs a little TLC and the towels they provide are just plane gross. Please, get us some decent pool towels. The plus side: the pool gets to about 9 1/2 feet deep -very spacious. There is a lot of tables and chairs, so you don't have to fight for space.

Overall, I would most likely search for a different Hilton brand in this area if I stayed again (HHmember here).

Room Tip: Higher up for a better view of the park.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Ashley F,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to share this review. I truly appreciate your comments as it helps us to grow and consistently provide superior customer service. I have shared this review with all our managers including the food and beverage director. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our location and our rooms. Thank you again for your comments and I hope to be able to welcome you to my hotel again.

Palm Bay, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

I used my Hilton Honors points and got a free stay. I'm glad I did because I wouldn't have been happy spending well over $100 for this room plus parking. It was a very nice hotel but our room was just average. My daughter insisted that her two previous stays at this hotel were better than ours this time around.

Dear Pandaec,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us using your reward points. I am sorry that the stay wasn't anything less than perfect. I really appreciate your comments. Please let me know the next time you plan on traveling to Orlando so I may personally make your reservations for you.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

Was here 2 years ago and it was excellent can't wait to return on 15/9. Hotel was great and it's position is the best for access to Universal. Literally a 10 minute stroll. Room was excellent and service was relaxed friendly and efficient.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank R C
Dear R C,

We are looking forward to seeing you again, thank you so much for your review and please let me know when you arrive so I can personally welcome you back.