“Doubletree @ Universal”

Ranked #181 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
Orlando, United States
“Doubletree @ Universal”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

The lobby and the staff are great. The pool is large. The rooms are becoming dated - needs refreshment. Good place for a convention. The hotel location is central to other attractions in the area. It is also located near a wide variety of restaurants.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Louis E, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree By Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Vincent C,

Thank you so much for your comments about our staff and location from your current visit with us. We have passed on your comments concering our rooms to our housekeeping and engineering staffs who are looking at what we can do to refresh our rooms.

Louis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (552)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
South Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We stayed 4 nights. We would not stay there again. I usually only write positive reviews but sorry that I can't do it for this Doubletree. Our room was clean but each day it was something different that we had to contact the front desk about our room. The highlight was when we left our used towels on the floor in a pile to be replaced. When we returned from our day at Universal the towels that were hanging were damp, as if they had not been replaced. Fortunately, the front desk agreed that it was "so not right" and they sent up new towels. The breakfast restaurant is pricey, which we had read about on Tripadvisor ahead of time. We discovered that the TGIFriday next door serves a buffet breakfast that was excellent and for half the price. They do it for the Holiday Inn guests but anyone is welcome.
If you do stay, some helpful notes: The hotel is on the trolley line which is great. Only $1.50 to ride and it can bring you to Sea World and other places. It's a 15-20 minute walk to the entrance of City Walk which is the gateway to Universal. Their "10 minute walk to the entrance" is only the property line. They are next door to a Kobe Steak House, a Chinese restaurant, a local restaurant similar to TGIF, a Starbucks (which is good because the one in the hotel closes at 3:00!!!) and a Walgreens. You can walk 3 minutes to the Walgreens to buy bottled water so you don't have to buy it in the parks and you can save a lot of money that way.
The ice machines are old. If your room is near one, ask to be moved because you'll hear it through the night as it re-loads.

Room Tip: If you have a room high up it helps with traffic noise. Ask for a room facing Universal. It's...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Cindervermont
Louis E, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree By Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Cindervermont,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear about the housekeeping inconsistencies and am so glad to hear that you reported this to our front office so we could help address your concerns. We hope you'll come back and see us again.

Warm regards,

London
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

Best location and for this alone I would stay here again. The service of the reception staff was quite poor as they were quite miserable. Whether this was because it was Spring break and they were very busy I'm not sure, although I don't feel this should be an excuse. The rooms were reasonably clean and very big! Ideal for a holiday in Orlando visiting the parks. Parking isn't included in the hotel price. Restaurants are convenient although breakfast buffets can be found much cheaper elsewhere....my husband did love the steaks in the morning though.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear 00WorldTraveller00,

I wanted to thank you for your review of our property. I wish to sincerely apologize for the way in which the reception staff acted. As you stated, there is no excuse for it. I have shared this with all of them and used it as a training tool so we can ensure it never happens again. I am glad your husband enjoyed our buffet and the steak in tghe mornings and we hope you will come stay with us again the next time you visit Orlando,

Best regards,

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed for 2 weeks in July. Rooms were of good size, always cleaned to the highest standard daily. The staff were very helpful and often stopped to chat. The location is fantastic, a walk from both universals and I drive and a short drive to disneyworlds. All in all we had a fantastic stay and wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear PetuniaG87,

Thank you so much for your review. I was so happy to see that our staff was able to make your stay more enjoyable. We are glad you enjoyed our location and we hope to see you again soon.

Best regards,

Orange Park, United States
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed at this hotel due to its location and our status as HHonors Gold members. We went as a rest and relaxation weekend and to explore Universal. Before we arrived we called to check to see if we could check in early. The young lady on the phone coudn't be bothered by our call and seemed very distracted when spoke to her. I had to tell her my name 4 times. When she finally gave us an answer she said "Yea, your room is done so you can just come whenever, ok, thanks, bye bye". We arrived on a Friday, the same day as 2000+ high schoolers did for a "Mathalon", choir, and band event. The hotel was overrun by kids with no chaperones. The pool was overrun by kids running, screaming and acting like fools - again no chaperones. The hot tub had a 20 person limit and I counted 53 at one time. I reported these issues to the hotel staff and nothing was done. Security did nothing to resolve the overloading of the hot tub. Finally, we were able to get about 30 minutes in the hot tub when the kids had to go to bed, but then we were promtly told to get out because it was closing for the night. I was astonished that security would follow *some of the rules some of the time* but not all of the rules all of the time. We later went back to our room and wanted to get some ice for our beverages, the ice machine on our floor was bone dry. So I went to floor below us, it too, was bone dry. I wasn't going to spend the entire night looking for a functioning ice machine so I took our ice bucket to the front desk and when I put it on the counter and asked for assistance, an employee jerked his head around and said "Whats all the noise for?". The next morning we went to breakfast using the complimentary breakfast tickets we received. Unfortunately again, the restaurant was overrun by hundreds of high school kids trying to eat as well. The buffet style food wasn't all that bad - but the sausage links they served were cold - mine even had a piece of ice in the middle. I really wish someone would have advised me when I made the reservation that the hotel was booked out with thousands of high school kids. This was FAR from a relaxing weekend. The hotel staff showed little to NO concern at all about resolving any issues. The security officer I spoke to about being kicked out of the hot tub couldn't be bothered to speak to me either. She was cold, short, and rude. Her answer was "My shift just started, sorry, there's nothing I can do". In the end we were given a room upgrade. This was nice, but the damage was already done. Won't ever stay here again. Makes me wonder if this is all DoubleTree's or just this one. We also decided to go look into the Hilton Grand Vacation Clubs while we were in Orlando and made an appointment to view a property. However, after this experience, if this was the kind of service we could expect with Hilton - we canceled our appointment.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

2 Thank Matthew M
Dear Matthew M,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I'm sorry for any discomfort you experienced with our family friendly atmosphere. We're reviewing your comments with our security team for future improvements to our policies and procedures. We're also sharing your feedback about the breakfast buffet with our culinary team and addressing the rude service you encountered with our front office when trying to report your concerns. We certainly never want our guests to have a poor experience and your feedback will help us to ensure all our guests are being taken care of.

Warm regards,

Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had booked a room at the Monumental Movieland down the street after seeing how bad it was we decided we couldn't stay there and called the doubletree they were more than helpful getting us a room, which was on the 15th floor, it cost a little more than most places but after coming from the horrible place down the street we didn't want to chance another budget hotel. The pool and hot tub were very clean, staff was very helpful. They have several shuttles to and from universal throughout the day. This is definitely a place I will stay again next time I'm in Orlando!

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Triciashelley,

Thank you so much for your review! I am so happy to hear that we were able to make your vacation better. I am glad you had a chance tio use our hot tub and pool after a long day at the parks. I hope to see you again soon, give me a call and I will get you back up on the 15th floor.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We choose this hotel specifically because it is a "partner" with Universal and they suggest you will get the early entry into the Island of Adventures. Harry Potter's Wizarding World was the only reason we were in Orlando so staying somewhere with early entry was key, this is NOT true! They are not a partner and are NOT a universal hotel! There is no early entry from this hotel, which i tried to double check about a month earlier and received no answer! All that said, the hotel room was pretty spacious and staff were pretty helpful especially the lovely lady at our check-in. The others seemed to not really know much about the area. The location was only good if you are going to Universal Studios.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Louis E, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree By Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Rebbecca R,

I'm so sorry for the misunderstanding and can assure you we never want to mislead our guests. We're always dedicated to friendly and helpful service. I also want to apologize for the delay in following up. Someone from our team will be in contact with you shortly.