“Good price and Convenient”

Doubletree By Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando
Ranked #159 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We were unable to check in when we arrived at 2:30 pm, so we just parked the car and walked to Universal. The main reason for choosing this hotel was for convenience to Universal and we were not disappointed...only a short 15 minute walk. The hotel was nice, but it did seem to need a few cosmetic updates. The room was huge, with the bed being quite comfortable. The shower head is too low....not a good experience for my husband at 6 ft tall. A big negative is the charge for using the Internet in your room. I know we always have that charge at Hilton's, but I didn't remember them doing at the Doubletrees. It always seems weird that cheaper hotels offer free wifi, while middle to high price hotels charge for it.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Universal.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mntnaz
DoubletreeUniversal, General Manager at Doubletree By Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Dear Mntnaz,
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando. I am sorry that we were not able to get you into your room when you arrived. We are looking at what options that we might be able to offer with our guest room internet service.
Mntnaz, thank you again for your comments and please let us know when your travels bring you back to Orlando.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

This hotel is....okay. Bathrooms and carpet are ready for a renovation. Faucet in shower did not work properly which seriously effected the water pressure. Furniture is okay. Beds were fantastic. In room coffee, mini fridge and large flat screen TV were pluses. Room size was sufficient. Staff was attentive. Had to evacuate in the middle of the night due to a moronic guest pulling the fire alarm. It wasn't bad, but until it's upgraded a bit it would not be my first choice in this star rating category. The location is ideal if Universal Studios is important to you. Safe travels.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the front if the building if you would like to see some lights at night.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
DoubletreeUniversal, General Manager at Doubletree By Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Dear Toad143,
Thank you for the compliment and we’ll be sure to pass them on to our staff. I apologize for the fire alarm inconvenience. I appreciate your candid review of our property decor. New perspectives about our hotel and our guestroom appearance help us make improvements to our guest experience on an ongoing basis. Please share any additional comments or suggestions with us any time.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

As a Gold Hilton Honors member, I expect a lot more from a Hilton property than what this has to offer. This hotel is more on par with a Comfort Inn than a DoubleTree.

To start, I don't think the hotel hasn't had an upgrade since it was built 20 some years ago...short of a Starbucks being added to the lobby...which is the best part of the property.

The rooms are dirty and dated, mold in the showers and grim in the grout. Thank god I am on business alone, my wife would have never stayed here. Heck, even the mirror and curtains have staining on them. The staff, while very friendly, isn't that knowledgable to the local area. Beds are fine, nice TV and the rooms are big, but they need to freshen the place up and hire a new cleaning crew ASAP.

Looks like more Marriott stays for me in the future based on this week.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank John F

Dear John F,
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us and we appreciate your loyalty as a rewards member. We are very sorry that you were disappointed with the cleanliness of your guest room. We try to be very attentive in this area because we know how significant it is for our guests. Based upon your review, we are actively working with our housekeeping staff so this situation doesn’t happen again. We can assure you that the mold issue has been addressed. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience and we hope that you’ll consider staying with us again.

Warm regards,

Reviewed November 28, 2012

We chose this hotel for our family vacation to Universal Studio's because of its convenient location. It was at the entrance to Universal and the walk was not too bad. We arrived at the hotel at approx. 8:30 am and I wanted to check in so I could park and walk to the park. I did not expect to be able to check into the room but was told that they did have a room available but it was a corner room and it would be an additional $20.00 per night. I decided it was worth it so we went up to our room and once we walked in we noticed one of the beds was not made so I called the front desk and they sent up housekeeping.
Housekeeping seemed quite bewildered because the room was showing up as cleaned so she said to call down and they could get me another room. I told her they had told me no other rooms were available and she looked at me kind of shocked and she called the front desk and
after a couple hmms & ohs told me that there were no other rooms available so she would send someone in while we were gone. (The parking lot of the hotel was almost empty so I believe this was just an excuse to get the larger room filled for the higher price)
We went to the park all day and after returning to the room it was in fact cleaned. The next morning I woke up and was getting ready to leave for the day. I pulled out the clothes line in the shower to hang our wet bathing suits on and it fell off the wall. Then I went to get my cell phone, which I had plugged into my computer to charge, and noticed that the phone was not charged. The outlet my computer was plugged into did not work. This was quite upsetting because we planned on splitting up at the park and could not do so without the cell phone.
I called down to the front desk and asked for another room and was told the computers were down and they would call me back. They called me back and told me they had another room and to come down and get the key.
When I arrived at the front desk to get the key they did not even offer an apology for the inconvenience and set us up in a room in the opposite tower. We packed up all of our stuff and went shuffling across the lobby to the other room. Upon opening the door to the new room all I could smell was stale smoke. I was quite shocked because I did not know the hotel allowed smoking. I called the front desk and asked if they would send someone up to check out the smell. They agreed it did smell like smoke and offered me the room beside it which was ok but it smelt like a ton of carpet fresh was put down on the carpet to hide the smell. I asked if they allowed smoking in the hotel and they said they did on the 3rd floor but we were on the 13th floor so I guess they do not have good filtration in their AC system.
To sum it up, I would not stay at this hotel again. I believe they were not honest about their room availability and I did not like the fact the non-smoking room smelt like smoke.

However, a very good thing about this hotel is the hot tub, it is huge! Also room service is ordered from a very good establishment down the street with delicious food.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank FLEEGRL
DoubletreeUniversal, General Manager at Doubletree By Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Dear Fleegrl,
Thank you so much for your feedback from your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando. Please accept my sincerest apologies that your experience was less than top notch. I'm working with our teams to ensure we are meeting our high expectations for spotless guest rooms and all the outlets are in proper working condition. I’m terribly sorry for the abnormal situation regarding the room occupancy.
Fleegrl please do not hesitate to contact me directly at tom.macdonald@interstatehotels.com if you would like to discuss the items further.

Warm regards,

Reviewed November 27, 2012

This hotel is located directly across from Universal Studios. From from door to entrance to Citywalk is literally a 10 minute walk. They also have a free shuttle that goes several times a day or a taxi $5.00.

The staff at the front desk were great! Very helpful and always willing to give me a nice warm cookie.

Our room was on the 11th floor (1104), huge room, huge bathroom and a view of Universal Studios parking garage, the entrance and some of the rides. Very much worth it.

Starbucks is located in the lobby but closes really early and you cannot use your gold card there. But within a 3-5 minute walk (right next to walgreens) is another that has late hours and accepts the gold card.

Didn't use the pool, but the jacuzzi was great. Big in size, nice and hot.

I would def stay here in a heartbeat especially with the high rates of the Universal Resorts.

Also recommend doing the Hilton Grand Vacation Tour. It is 90 minutes, they do pressure you to buy a timeshare, but if you are good at standing your ground and saying no, then it is worth it for really discounted park passes. We got a 7-day multi park pass for $180 for 2 people.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floors so you can get a great view.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
DoubletreeUniversal, General Manager at Doubletree By Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Dear Sheri S,
Thank you for your great comments about your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando. It was great to hear that the service during your stay was fantastic. I have shared your comments about your stay with our staff.
Sheri S, when your travels bring you back to Orlando please let us know, until then we will keep the cookies warm for you.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

My family and I stayed in november, the rooms are very niceand clean, the attention at the desk service was very nice. The hotel has a Sturbucks right on the lobby. It is located literally across the Universal parks. And overall the location and the hotel are great!!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Dear LiaV,
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando. I have shared your comments about your room and the attention that the front desk was able to provide with our teams.
LiaV, thank you again for you comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed at the Doubletree from Mon 5th Nov till Mon 12th Nov as part of our honeymoon. The hotel was reccomended by our travel agent as we only really planned to do Universal and Seaworld, and it was the perfect location! We had a room on the 18th floor which looked out over Orlando, the room was clean and tidy (and huge!) and was constantly kept clean by the housekeeping staff. On arrival we got a free hot cookie which was DELISH and the welcome was friendly and polite. The breakfast down in the restaurant was incredible (again extremely friendly staff!) and security (who has to come up a couple of times due to problems with the safe) were wonderful and gave us some great tips on dinner locations! A 10 min walk to Universal (which we did everytime!) and the I-Ride trolley round the corner made this the perfect location for us. Oh, and I would reccomend everyone goes to the Carnivale bar for happy hour (4-7 I think it was!) and the bartender (I think his name is Garcia?) was wonderful. Seriously...the nicest staff at any hotel I have every stayed in! We were sad to leave, but I am sure we will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room, the views are amazing! And use the Carnivale bar the drinks are fabulous!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Happymoo,
Thank you for your great review of you stay at the Doubletree by Hilton at the Entrance to Unviersal Orlando. Congrats on your marriage and thank you for making our hotel your choice for your honeymoom. I am pleased that we were able to provide a perfect location for your visit. I have shared your comments about your experiences with our Food & Beverage teams, and our security department.
Happymoo, thank you again for the great comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon.