“Seems a little long in the tooth”

Doubletree By Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando
Ranked #162 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I know they cannot build or update the hotels every year or every few years, but this seems to be ready for a freshening. They have the feel of a full service hotel with valet parking, bellboys, etc., but in a setting that's 20 years old. They charge for public parking, I suppose to keep the Universal crowd from poaching free parking, and like all doubletree, charge for in-room wifi, so you get to watch a bunch of people staring into their devices in the lobby. The Coke machine was ismarked, so I dodnt get what I wanted. When Icalled down to inform them, they asked me to come down and swp it out. I declined, and instead they sent a smirking staffer up with what I put the $2.50 in the machine for. The HD tv did have HD channels, so a thumbs up for that. I suppose I would be happier at a HAmpton or Fairfield for what I got.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank GFKelly
DoubletreeUniversal, General Manager at Doubletree By Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Dear GFKelly,
Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando. I am sorry about the issues you encountered when here; our Coke vendor is reviewing each machine to make sure that the right product is in the proper location in each machine. We are also in the process of upgrading our High Speed Internet in the guest rooms and we are looking at the possibility of a tiered pricing structure for it, and with that we might have a free option available to guests.
GFKelly if you do find yourself in Orlando again please let us know, we would enjoy seeing you again.

Tom MacDonald

There are newer reviews for Doubletree By Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Being out there for business, the hotel lobby was too crowded and the room I was "upgraded to" had a view to nowhere. Unlike my experience at the Doubletree in Phoenix and other Doubletree hotels I have stayed over the last two months, there was no cookie given during check-in, the Fitness Center was closed with no prior notice given either on their website or even during check-in; I found out the hard way by finding locked doors when I went down for my workout. Upon asking the front desk, I was told by one of the ladies that she even found out in the morning and no one had told them either. To the Management, some of your clients are not there for leisure and working out is part of their daily routine and taking that away without prior notification was not appropriate. If I knew before hand that the Fitness Center was going to be closed, I would not have stayed there in the first place.
The breakfast buffet is okay but still below par compared to most other Doubletree hotels I have had the pleasure of staying at.
If on a business trip, avoid this hotel at all costs.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better the chance for a great view but depends on where the room is
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Titkat,
Thank you so much for your feedback and please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was not like your stay in Phoenix. I do personally apologize that the information was not properly communicated to you about the fitness center being temporarily closed. It was reopened in a new location on Monday and will remain there until our new state of the art facility is completed in the middle of January.
Titkat, if your travels bring you back to Orlando again after we are completed with the new facility please do not hesitate to contact me directly at tom.macdonald@interstatehotels.com if you might reconsider staying with us again in the future so I can ensure you a more comfortable stay.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Best hotel to stay at if your going to Universal and don't want to stay at one of the Lowe's hotels within the universal park that are very expensive. I booked two rooms - and they were connected together, and both clean and ready when we go there. As far as the hotel itself - there were other restaurants and plenty to do at the hotel.

You can easily walk to Universal. The key is that you use the light by the hotel (but you do not cross over to where Friday's is). You cross and then just go straight on Major Blvd (on right hand side of road) and then it dead ends right into another road where there is a nice "walking path" straight to CitiWalk. This hotel is great location and its not a bad walk to Citiwalk or the parks. I'm a bit surprised that hotel wasn't able to provide details on it. (the hotel didn't have many details on the specific route - but it is helpful to know what side of the crossing to be on)

I rated the hotel as "average" because they really are unable to resolve problems with reported and misbill. I was overcharged a fee I shouldn't have been, only received points on one folio (I had booked two rooms) and didn't get Hilton Gold benefit (free internet) as I should have. I even called the hotel BEFORE signing up for internet (with horrible 24k speed) and then AFTER, and then as soon as a I saw it on my bill. Hotel still billed me for internet. Its been a week since my stay, I just called, and they are requiring that I call there accounting department to resolve. There is no way I could rate any hotel "more than average" that misbill (when being notified twice) and then requiring me to resolve at a specific time. Even if their account department is closed, they should take a message and resolve. Be very careful and look at charges very carefully. I've stayed at hundreds of HIlton's around the world - and this is one of the very rare cases I have seen where a hotel as misbilled and didn't take ownership to correct when they were notified.

The good news is even if the hotel doesn't resolve - it is a Hilton branded hotel - so the Hilton Chain and AMEX (w/ Hilton card) will help resolve in cases where hotels don't do what they agree to.

So in summary - if you want to go to Universal - this is the best hotel (for the buck near the hotel), the rooms and hotel is clean and you get what you pay for, just be careful for hotels' lack of integrity and watch your charges carefully.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank StoufferJax
DoubletreeUniversal, General Manager at Doubletree By Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2012

Dear StoufferJax,
Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando. I am sorry about the issues you experienced with your Gold Benefits and the Internet service in your guest room. We have recently upgraded our WiFi service to Stay Connected by Hilton. We have also added a free option which is available in the entire hotel. We are also printing directional cards for guests walking across the street to Universal.
StoufferJax, I am sorry about your experience and if your travels bring you back to Orlando please make sure to let me know.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed November 14, 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I agonized over staying here, but thought having a more 'full hotel property' would be better for my family while I was on business - what a mistake. To start, I booked with a HHoners $50 resort credit, called to confirm, but at check in no one had ever heard of it???

Then got to my corner room I paid extra for, and what a dump. Dirt on walls, sofa ripped; just generally unclean.

Oh, then the parking fee and overpriced food.

I feel so bad for cheating on Marriott. People listen to me, I know this area; stay at the Fairfied next door (same location, but clean and not a rip off) the only thing it doesn't have is overpriced restaurants that you can walk to at the doubletree is you wish.

P.S
I better not see a generic "we regret your experience" management response below my review. The only thing I want to see is a $50 credit on my card!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Dezmond
DoubletreeUniversal, General Manager at Doubletree By Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear Dezmond,
Thank you for your feedback about your stay at the Doubletree by Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando. I am truly sorry about your experience and I want to work with you to get the issue corrected. If you could please contact me at tom.macdonald@interstatehotels.com, and I will be more than happy to assist you with the resort credit.
Dezmond I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

After having a reservation cancelled unknowingly by another hotel in the area - we called Doubletree to see if they had rooms available - and they did. Originally we were going to book here, but it was a little pricey and out of our budget, but ended up booking since they were the only ones with rooms available for the weekend. So glad they were. The room was huge and clean. The front desk staff were FANTASTIC and so sweet after we had told them our plight up the road. Valet guys were super attentive. Point being- they saved our weekend and will be our first choice next time we are in Orlando.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
DoubletreeUniversal, General Manager at Doubletree By Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Dear ErinSRQ,
Thank you for your five star review of your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando. I have forwarded your comments to our front office team and have also shared it with our entire management team. It is great to hear how our staff was able to assist you.
Erin thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to the chance to have you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

We like this hotel because you can walk over to city walk and don't have to worry about parking or driving. The hotel is nice but the room was not as clean as it could be. It looked like there was dried blood at the bottom of the bathroom door, gross. The cookies were great and they gave us a much appreciated late check out time. Overall it was nice and we will stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank holliel0202
DoubletreeUniversal, General Manager at Doubletree By Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Dear Holliel0202,
Thank you for your five star review of your recent stay at the Doubletree by Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando. I am sorry about the cleaniness issue you experienced, I have shared your comments with our Housekeeping team and that will be an area that they do place more focus on when in the guest rooms.
Holliel0202, thank you again for the great feedback and when your travels bring you to Orlando again please let us know, we will keep the cookies warm.