“Decent cheap choice, but misleaded and boring”

Doubletree By Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando
Ranked #184 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Maryland
“Decent cheap choice, but misleaded and boring”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2011

WARNING - this hotel does not have mini-refrigerators in the rooms as it says it does. It has things the staff carefully calls "coolers" which will keep something slightly less than than room temperature. It will not keep your milk from souring and it will not cool a bottle of water or beer to an acceptable typical drinking temperature. Had I known this was going to be the case, we would not have stayed here for 7 nights. Overall, the hotel is boring in its decor, clearly making it's business from conferences and other large groups - and it's vicinity to Universal.

The positives - staff was very nice, room and rest of the grounds were clean, and the concierge desk in the lobby was knowledgeable - and I spoke to at least three different people during our stay. The "food court" is very limited in it's choices - but it does have items to make most people happy. But it is not a food court like you would find at a Disney value resort at all - much less! Starbucks in lobby. Pool was large with lots of chairs. And it really is the closest hotel to Universal that is not one of their resort hotels. Walgreens (where you can buy that cheap styrofoam cooler to put in ice in to keep things cold) is across the parking lot - and they have a section that sells alcohol. The Walgreens understands it's market and is well stocked for the vacation traveler. Every staff member I talked to was friendly and knew how to help me - from the front desk, concierge, bell services, housekeeping.

The negatives - the lack of a frig as advertised. Beds were "fine", but not great. Internet was spotty to acceptable depending on the day - and not free. Parking was not free. Add those two costs together, and lack of free breakfast, the place is more expensive than at first glance. Boring decor around the lobby, in the rooms, and at the pool. Very corporate - for the business traveler. I didn't eat in the restaurant - so no comment. Coffee service in room sucked. Wolfgang Puck single serve machine - tasted terrible and they only give you two creamers per day. I did ask housekeeping for more one day and she gave me a bunch then.

I recommend the hotel only for those trying to do a cheap 3-4 day visit to Orlando - with the goal of spending most of the their time at Universal (and maybe one day at Disney) who are traveling WITHOUT a car. The pathway to Universal is easy - probably 15-20 minute walk to the turnstiles of one of the parks for most walkers. It does cross a big street - but every street crossing has a light with a crosswalk. Or - it is a $5 taxi ride (+ tip) or you can use their free shuttle. Do make shuttle reservations the night before. If you have a car - stay someplace else if you are doing Universal on a budget.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank novicetravellgirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Richmond, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2011

Nice clean hotel, enjoyed the free cookies upon arrival! The beds are comfortable and the rooms are kept clean.
The draw backs with this hotel would be paying for parking which is $12.00 a day which was a shock, the rooms could also do with updated ameneties.
I would avoid the breakfast at the hotel as they charge $17.00 each for a very average breakfast. We went to the Cracker barrel which was a 2 min walk from the hotel which offered a very good breakfast at a good price.
All in all I would rate this hotel as good if you are planning on visiting Universal Studios.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
ft myers
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2011

The hotel is very nice and clean. However, they charged $12 for parking per day. They also refused to give us coupons for complimentary breakfast when we checked in. It was until the next morning, that we went to get our free breakfast that we were sent back to the registration desk to get vouchers. There were two other families requesting their complementary breakfast coupons. I don't think it was a coincidence that they forgot to give the coupon to 3 different families. I will never stay at that hotel in my life.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2011

If you're planning to go to Universal Studios, this is the place to be. The staff is friendly, the rooms are excellent and the location is awesome.

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank gmontecinos
Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2011

Our initial room had 2 double beds with a view of the fountain and courtyard. However, it also had stains and burn marks on the carpeting. Then we discovered water on the bathroom floor. It seemed to be coming from the toilet. The refrigerator did not work. I informed the front desk and asked them to look into the problems and also have housekeeping make up the room while we were out the next day. I left at 9AM. When I returned to my room at 3PM, the room had not yet been cleaned but there was a message that the toilet needed to be replaced. So my husband and I had to pack up and move to another room on the other side of the hotel. This room was smaller with one queen size bed, overlooked a flat roof and we received no break in price.
The concierge was not helpful during our visit. She didn't smile once and basically just gave me brochures. I asked about coupons and she said she didn't have any.
They charge over thirty dollars for parking in their lot, even if you are a guest.
Now onto the good points: The hotel is in a great location. You can walk to Universal Studios. Also there is a Florida tourist bureau within walking distance to the hotel as well. Go there for maps and coupons. The swimming pool and whirlpool are quite nice with plenty of chairs. However the towels are small, the poolside snack area is open for a very short time and there is a lack of umbrellas. There is a cute little gift shop and the lobby of the hotel is nice. The breakfast buffet is very good with fresh fruit and varied items but is not cheap. If you like to work out, the fitness facility offers enough equipment for a nice workout, although if you get more than 5 people in there it is crowded. The front desk and restaurant personnel were all very friendly and professional with quick smiles. Make sure you go to the front desk each day and ask for your chocolate chip/walnut cookie, they were yummy.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2011

I stayed at the hotel for 4 days, and upon check-out in the morning of the last day, I checked in my luggage with the valet service at this hotel. I returned later in the afternoon to retrieve my belongings, only to find out that my laptop was missing. It was a brand new MacBook Pro, and I had left it in a laptop bag along with my passport, and the whole bag was gone. The rest of my luggage was returned to me, but I was furious that the valet employees have lost/stole my laptop. They searched the luggage room thoroughly, and after a while I told them that my passport was also in the missing bag. Then, half an hour later, my empty bag (with my passport) "miraculously" showed up in the same room that they just spent half an hour searching through, but the laptop was no where to be found. Stealing a passport is a serious criminal offense, and they realized that they've accidentally stole my passport. I dealt with the valet service manager, who was very reluctant to help and even refused to pay for an extra night stay if I didn't find my passport and missed my flight that evening. They knew that I had a flight to catch in less than 3 hours, so they knew that I wouldn't stick around and call the police and launch an investigation/interrogation right there and then. Recently, I have been refunded for the full amount for the laptop, but all personal data stored on it was lost. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR VALUABLES WITH THE VALET SERVICE AT THIS HOTEL, THEY WILL STEAL THEM.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
12 Thank TorontoAnonymous
Stafford, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2011

I was here for a short business trip mid-February. Some of my collegues and I arrived early (11AM), but our rooms were already available. The staff was friendly and gave myself and collegues a warm chocolate chip cookie!!!

The conference rooms were adequate for the various breakout classes, although they were a little chilly, so bring a light jacket with you!

The meals provided were way above the typical buffet food I've expereinced at previous conferences. There was a Starbucks in the lobby for my caffiene fix, although the hours were unfriendly, typically open from 6AM - 3PM. They should have been open later in my opinion. As expected, the drinks at the bar were a little over-priced. My Long Island Ice Tea was $9 and had more ice that alcohol.

The rooms were nice, with dual-sided trash cans for recycling. I thought that was wonderful that they provided that service.

We were less than a 10-minute walk from City Walk, and I could see Hogwart's from my room. The entrance was probably also within walking distance.

The worst experience for me at this hotel was the fitness room. There were two or three treadmills, a stationary bike, and a eliptical (I think), and only a few weight machines. The treadmill I attempted to use first would squeek horribly and didn't keep a steady speed. All the equipment was crammed into a small space. Due to the main roads and traffic, there weren't really any alternative places to try and run safely.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business