“A nightmare gone wrong”

Ranked #177 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
portland
“A nightmare gone wrong”
Reviewed November 21, 2006

Stayed here for a confernece at the Swan and Daulphine. It's a big sprawly complex that got built 30 plus years ago. Facility nice enough although the rooms are not well insulated and you better be ready to walk. The bad dream began while trying to find it. Directions were poor with few roads marked. The is a small sign after a busy interesection on the side. However, the hotel monument sign actually has bushes growing in front of the name. The staff is polite but totally incompetent and the wait to get a question anwsered either by the desk or on the phone was more that 10 mins plus in most cases. This was the most frustrating hotel expereice I have had in years and I have yet to get a bill from them 2 weeks later ( because their systems were down). I could not wait to leave!!!

• Liked — the weather
  • Disliked — everything
  • Tips/Secrets — stay away
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank neswstar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,589)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Berlin, NJ
Reviewed November 18, 2006

For my first visit to Disney, I went with some friends and their families. As the single person, I opted for my own room. The rooms were clean and a decent size (especially since it was only me in the room). It had the normal amenities -- iron, hairdryer, etc. -- plus a little fridge, which we had requested while reserving the rooms. The staff was friendly, of course, and very helpful. The sit-down restaurant (The Mayan Grill) in El Centro (the main building) was not very good. The service was slow and the food was not appealing. The Pepper Market, however, was really cool. There were different stations to choose different foods from. A bit pricey, but if you're using the Disney Meal Plan, it's worth it.

• Liked — Hammocks surrounding the lake
  • Disliked — The Mayan Grill
  • Tips/Secrets — Use the Disney meal plan!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
5 Thank Shannon M
Bonita Springs, Florida
Reviewed November 16, 2006

My boyfriend and I are from southwest Florida and decided to surprise his mother during her Disney vacation with a friend of hers. Both his mother and friend were from New England, so being in Orlando in November was very exciting for them. Although we couldn't get a room at the resort his mother was staying at, we figured we would stay here. BIG MISTAKE! We checked in around 7:00pm. Our initial reservation was for a King bed room. Nothing fancy, no fancy view or large suite, just a king bedded room. After we checked in we had to drive clear across the resort to find our room. Forget figuring out where your room is. There were no signs directing you to the fastest way to get there. After hauling our luggage up a flight of stairs and walking this HUGE building, we finally found our room. Thankful to be out of the car (4 1/2 hours later) we come to see that it's a double bedded room. OK...no big deal, let's call the front desk and have them give us a king bedded room. "Sure...if you want to pay the addition $25.00 fee" the desk agent said to me, "You'll have to come back to front desk". So now we have to get back in our car, drive all the way back across God's Green Earth to the front desk and get a new room assignment.
When we got there, the desk agent then told me, "Oh we don't have any King rooms". My response was "You have about half a million room in this hotel and you are telling me you don't have ONE king bedded room?". After speaking with her supervisor, finally I got a new room (and no $25.00 fee). I was now happy...until I got to the new room. After getting out of the car for the third time and hauling my luggage around we entered our room and just about had a heart attack. It had not been serviced by housekeeping yet. It wasn't just unmade bed here, or a towel or two on the floor. No...it was worse (nothing against new parents here...); the bed sheets were covered in baby food, there were dirty dipers over flowing the 2 garbage cans, the bathroom had hair all over it...the toliet hadn't been flushed. Now I was livid! It was now after 9pm...I am tired and want to sleep. We missed surprising my boyfriend's mother at dinner due to this fiasco.
I called the front desk in tears demanding a supervisor or a manager meet me at the room. Their response, "You'll have to come to the front desk".

Make a long story short (I know...too late), I got on the phone, was comp one night because of my troubles, and houskeeping was sent to the room ASAP to "turn it over" (hotel lingo). We went to the bar while waiting to calm my nerves and finally got to bed at about midnight. We spent most of the next day at the parks, so we didn't have much interaction with the hotel or staff.

OK, I will admit I work in the hotel industry, I know some tricks of the trade. They came in handy this time...but I never thought that a DISNEY property who's sole responsibility is to cater to their "guests" and provide over-the-top, out-of-this-world service would be so disappointing.

• Liked — Near the attractions (free shuttles)
  • Disliked — The room, the room, the management service, oh yeah...and the room!
  • Tips/Secrets — Always double check with the front desk your room type and if it has been serviced before you check in.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank swpalm
Normal, Illinois
Reviewed November 4, 2006

Our room was nice - bigger than the All Star resorts - the grounds are beautiful - check in was Disney - longer than at a regular hotel but not too bad.

Our meetings were in a nice space - and believe it or not, the food at our two dinner meetings was excellent.

The Pepper Market food court is terrible - it is confusing, expensive and the food is not that good.

• Liked — the setting and grounds were beautiful
  • Disliked — The food court
  • Tips/Secrets — the pools are not heated!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank erinmdil
Marquette, Michigan
Reviewed November 1, 2006

We stayed at the Coronado Springs October 23-30th. We stayed in building 7B one of the Ranchos. First, Disney's Magical Express worked very well for us. It was nice to check our bags from home and not worry about them again, as Disney picks them up and drops them off in your room. We expected to spend a couple of hours from the airport before we were settled, but it ended up being less than an hour and we were on our way to a theme park. Our room had a 'pool view' but as we were on the first floor, we didn't see much of the pool, not that it mattered as the weather was freezing and we didn't go in the pool but once all week. Our room was okay, it was clean and the beds were very comfortable. The sink outside the bath was useful with 3 of us (2 adults, 11 year old), and the shower had good pressure and hot water. Small issues, the cabinet door housing the fridge had a broken hinge, and the TV is really small. The water is smelly, but we're used to Lake Superior water so maybe for most it's not. The climate control worked fine. The resort has many very pleasant gardens and was very well maintained. I think that most of the negative reviews I've seen are expecting upscale amenities, and this resort was not created to be something like Animal Kingdom Lodge. For a clean, reasonably priced place to say with the basics, it is a fine place to stay.

The resort staff: Check in was great. Our person moved us to the pool view from a room in the 6A building, so we were closer to the Pepper Market, main pool and inbetween bus stops. The Pepper Market staff were okay, the two lil ole ladies at the bakery were a riot. Never saw the maid, but the room was always done by 2:30. There are staff that roam in extended golf carts that taxi people around, but these are hit and miss and they won't haul luggage if you're checking out.

Getting Around: This is HUGE resort, the largest of the Moderates. If you're in the 6 buildings you will walk a long way to the Pepper Market / El Centro. Building 9B would be the best, unless you want to be in the convention area if you want to be close. There are 4 bus stops for Disney Transportation, for most the stop order is 2,3,4,1. 1 being the main building (el Centro / Pepper Market). Getting to most parks is pretty quick, less than 10 minutes, but Downtown Disney can take 20 minutes or so. We had no real issues with our waiting times for buses. Even if you waited 20 minutes each time, it's better than paying $10 to park and dealing with traffic.

Food: If I can impress anything upon you, GET THE MEAL PLAN. We hemmed and hawed and finally did since we re-booked our trip a month prior as the price dropped $500, so we added the Disney Dining Plan as it ended up costing us around $250 more than our original trip cost. It paid for itself the 1st day. We had 5 table service dinners that averaged over $150.00 for the three of us, and the Hoop-de-do revue covered under the plan. Our lunches average about $50.00, and snacks are aroud $3.00 each. When you add it all up, we had close to $1,500 in meal costs for 6.5 days. Granted, we ate better than we would have had we paid cash for the meals, but hey - we're on VACATION. Okay, we found the Pepper Market fine. We had breakfast there a couple of times, and lunch once. We also had pizza one night. They bake their own goods right there, and do a good job with it as well as the pizza. The wet burrito I had was good, and they cook eggs to order as well as waffles, etc. There is lots of variety. Get the soda mugs if you drink soda or a lot of coffee. They are $11.99, but you get free re-fills the length of your stay. The mug can be re-filled anywhere they have a soda fountain. For dinners we ate at the Coral Reef at Epcot - Grade A; Sci-Fi Dine In at MGM - Grade B; 9 Dragons Epcot - Grade C; Cap'n Jacks Grade B; Hoop de do - B+.

Overall, we had a good trip and even though there was record low temperatures at night, we were better off than being in the UP of MI... Feel free to e-mail if questions.

• Liked — Clean, well maintained, convenient to parks.
  • Disliked — Size of resort made for a lot of walking
  • Tips/Secrets — Building 9 would be a good choice, get Disney Dining Plan.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
10 Thank Dave A
midwest
Reviewed October 24, 2006

Nice place. Room was in good condition and clean. The grounds are pretty cool, well kept, and clean. Not all kid Disney-ish like I expected.

Lots of variety in on-site restaurants. But all are pricey.
Certainly not within walking distance of anything. But Disney does have good bus schedules to all Disney stuff.

In-room internet is Ethernet cable only. $9.95 for 24hr. BUT read the rate card carefully. It implies that that fee will cover wireless around the pools, in the lobby and the conference center. NOT SO. Wireless is provided by another service provider and is not covered by the fee paid for in-room service.

• Liked — Weather. Nice Grounds. Well run resort.
  • Disliked — Misleading internet access fees. Pricey restaurants.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank EM57_Traveler
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed October 21, 2006

Stayed there 8 nights. Room was big enough. A bit dated but the room was clean. It is a lovely resort, but the food let it down.
We ate out whereever we could. A long way from away, but found out where to catch local buses to take us in to Orlando and Kissimmee.

• Liked — Good transport facilities
  • Disliked — The food
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a room close to the check in area, it is a very long walk if you are on the other side.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank Beth2407
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Disney's Pop Century Resort
Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Been to Disney's Coronado Springs Resort? Share your experiences!