“Better than we expected!”

Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Ranked #172 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed November 1, 2006

We stayed at the Coronado Springs October 23-30th. We stayed in building 7B one of the Ranchos. First, Disney's Magical Express worked very well for us. It was nice to check our bags from home and not worry about them again, as Disney picks them up and drops them off in your room. We expected to spend a couple of hours from the airport before we were settled, but it ended up being less than an hour and we were on our way to a theme park. Our room had a 'pool view' but as we were on the first floor, we didn't see much of the pool, not that it mattered as the weather was freezing and we didn't go in the pool but once all week. Our room was okay, it was clean and the beds were very comfortable. The sink outside the bath was useful with 3 of us (2 adults, 11 year old), and the shower had good pressure and hot water. Small issues, the cabinet door housing the fridge had a broken hinge, and the TV is really small. The water is smelly, but we're used to Lake Superior water so maybe for most it's not. The climate control worked fine. The resort has many very pleasant gardens and was very well maintained. I think that most of the negative reviews I've seen are expecting upscale amenities, and this resort was not created to be something like Animal Kingdom Lodge. For a clean, reasonably priced place to say with the basics, it is a fine place to stay.

The resort staff: Check in was great. Our person moved us to the pool view from a room in the 6A building, so we were closer to the Pepper Market, main pool and inbetween bus stops. The Pepper Market staff were okay, the two lil ole ladies at the bakery were a riot. Never saw the maid, but the room was always done by 2:30. There are staff that roam in extended golf carts that taxi people around, but these are hit and miss and they won't haul luggage if you're checking out.

Getting Around: This is HUGE resort, the largest of the Moderates. If you're in the 6 buildings you will walk a long way to the Pepper Market / El Centro. Building 9B would be the best, unless you want to be in the convention area if you want to be close. There are 4 bus stops for Disney Transportation, for most the stop order is 2,3,4,1. 1 being the main building (el Centro / Pepper Market). Getting to most parks is pretty quick, less than 10 minutes, but Downtown Disney can take 20 minutes or so. We had no real issues with our waiting times for buses. Even if you waited 20 minutes each time, it's better than paying $10 to park and dealing with traffic.

Food: If I can impress anything upon you, GET THE MEAL PLAN. We hemmed and hawed and finally did since we re-booked our trip a month prior as the price dropped $500, so we added the Disney Dining Plan as it ended up costing us around $250 more than our original trip cost. It paid for itself the 1st day. We had 5 table service dinners that averaged over $150.00 for the three of us, and the Hoop-de-do revue covered under the plan. Our lunches average about $50.00, and snacks are aroud $3.00 each. When you add it all up, we had close to $1,500 in meal costs for 6.5 days. Granted, we ate better than we would have had we paid cash for the meals, but hey - we're on VACATION. Okay, we found the Pepper Market fine. We had breakfast there a couple of times, and lunch once. We also had pizza one night. They bake their own goods right there, and do a good job with it as well as the pizza. The wet burrito I had was good, and they cook eggs to order as well as waffles, etc. There is lots of variety. Get the soda mugs if you drink soda or a lot of coffee. They are $11.99, but you get free re-fills the length of your stay. The mug can be re-filled anywhere they have a soda fountain. For dinners we ate at the Coral Reef at Epcot - Grade A; Sci-Fi Dine In at MGM - Grade B; 9 Dragons Epcot - Grade C; Cap'n Jacks Grade B; Hoop de do - B+.

Overall, we had a good trip and even though there was record low temperatures at night, we were better off than being in the UP of MI... Feel free to e-mail if questions.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
10  Thank Dave A
Write a ReviewReviews (6,264)

Reviewed October 24, 2006

Nice place. Room was in good condition and clean. The grounds are pretty cool, well kept, and clean. Not all kid Disney-ish like I expected.

Lots of variety in on-site restaurants. But all are pricey.
Certainly not within walking distance of anything. But Disney does have good bus schedules to all Disney stuff.

In-room internet is Ethernet cable only. $9.95 for 24hr. BUT read the rate card carefully. It implies that that fee will cover wireless around the pools, in the lobby and the conference center. NOT SO. Wireless is provided by another service provider and is not covered by the fee paid for in-room service.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank EM57_Traveler
Reviewed October 21, 2006

Stayed there 8 nights. Room was big enough. A bit dated but the room was clean. It is a lovely resort, but the food let it down.
We ate out whereever we could. A long way from away, but found out where to catch local buses to take us in to Orlando and Kissimmee.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank Beth2407
Reviewed October 19, 2006

Now to say this hotel is a five star would be a lie. The thing that is missing from this resort is better rooms. The rooms are just like you would get in the All Stars with the mexican theme. However, the bed we had was miles more comfortable than the ones in the All Stars. Now the positives of this place are endless. The surroundings, WOW!. This place is stunning. Has a beautiful lake at the front of the hotel and with all the greenery round you, truly spectacular. Especially at night when the place it all lit up. Now for food they have the Maya Grill, the menu looked very nice but becuase my wife is a vegetarian the options where very limited so we didn't bother. Really impressed with the option at the Pepper Market much better than just a normal food court that you find in most moderates and all stars. Food very nice and reasonably priced as well. If you eat in here you get a 10% service charge I think but if you want to take food back to your room this charge is waved I think. The bar and staff are amazing. Very friendly staff. One of the staff accidently poured two Baileys and ice when we only asked for one. Now instead of pouring the other one away they just gave us both! Very nice cocktails. To be honest I was so upset leaving this hotel, even when I was about to check in at Disney's finest hotel The Grand Floridian in the Concierge. A 5 star stay, 5 star surroundings and 4 star room. Mainly because of the view we had been upgraded to, for a lakeview. Going to stay here for 16 nights again in April. Can't wait!!!

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Woz
Reviewed October 15, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Coronado Springs from October 8-October 14. The grounds at the Coronado are very beautiful and getting around the resort was made easy by using the go-carts that were driven by the staff. Amenties included a laundry facility and fitness center, however, walking around the grounds was great exercise and there was no need to use the fitness center. I agree with some of the other reviews that some of the staff were a bit unfriendly, but I would either switch to someone else who was willing to help me or speak to a manager.

Since I read the other reviews before leaving on my trip, my boyfriend and I did not have a meal at the resort. Since we had a car we went to international drive or other places to eat our meals. The resort had several pools--the pool with the slide was very loud with excited children going down the water slide, but the other pools were quiet---try the pool by the Rancho complex, no children and very quiet!

The hammocks in front of the Casita complex was very relaxing and always empty.

The rooms on the other hand need some upgrading or renovations. During my stay I was switched to three different rooms. On the first two nights, I was placed in a room with a double bed because there were no king size bed rooms available. On the third day, I was switched to a room with a king size bed that was handicap accessible, which meant everything was at my waist level and the bathroom had no tub just a seat with a detachable showerhead (which meant the entire bathroom floor could bet wet). I called to the front desk and was switched to a regular room with a king size bed. The beds were comfy, but the pillows are not---request extra pillows. Also, I had to call housekeeping twice because they forget to clean my room. Additionally, I called to inform them that I had a giant spider web on my door with many bugs stuck to the web--which I later cleaned myself, the room refrigerator was leaking and I had a huge wet patch on the carpet for two days and two of the light fixtures were broken which were not fixed even after we called it in. The rooms are tiny compared to other chain hotels that I have stayed in.

The great thing about staying at a disney hotel is the amenties such as having purchases delivered to the resort from the theme parks, the extra magic hours and convenience to the parks.

For my next visit to Orlando, I may stay at another moderate hotel such as the Port Orleans. If you visit the Coronado Springs and are seeking a quiet area ask for a room at the Rancho complex--though it's on the other side of the lake, after a day in the park you will appreciate to quietness.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ninao5
Reviewed October 6, 2006

WOW! Beautiful grounds. The biggest best pool in all of Disney resorts. Super clean rooms and grounds. Rooms were plenty large enough for 3 adults and one toddler. Nice size tub and shower . Comfortable beds( little small). Yes, This hotel is very large ... you need to walk! ALOT! I enjoy that- so if you do , its perfectly fine. The lake is heavenly, with its cute bridges and all- very warm and welcoming lobby. Check in takes a little time.
Gift shop is very good. NO SOY MILK!! thats an issue - for allergic babies etc... Not much in the means of tolietries, go shopping at Target- its close by. Maya Grill Restaurant - we waited 1 hr. to eat- our appertizers- it wasnt crowded at all!
The shrimp martini app is gross! food is good though- very good!
Two hrs, in a restaurant with a toddler isnt good! But its tasty.
expensive- but we had dinning plan! cost 140$$$ without plan for 3 adults. Thats alot in my eyes. Gym was cute- new equiptment and a spa is super small( I didnt like the spa at all.. too small.. two treatmenat rooms- This is disney?
I am in that feild- and I wasnt impressed at all with the so called spa. Its nice to offer it though for convention goers. Thursday is super full at the Coronado- Terrible- but the rest of the week was great. The pool is truely a sight- a pyrimid with a waterfall.. ita huge pool and there are smaller pools through out the complex also- the hot tub.. its so small.. only one ???
You can rent bikes, jog, play in the sand( the baby loved that)
Its great to take a break from the park and spend some time in this hotel- its truely a resort.
We would go back!!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank princesslollipop
Reviewed October 2, 2006

Our party of three stayed a week at Disney's Coronado Springs in September 2006.

This is one of Disney's moderate resorts, and is also a Convention Center. Disney's moderates are always fairly large, but this one seemed particularly spread out. It was about a 15 minute walk to our room from the main building. There were bus stops throughout the resort for getting to and from the parks, but if you wanted to get to the main building for something you either had to ride around on one of those buses, or walk.

In terms of location, this resort was convenient to EPCOT, MGM and Animal Kingdom. By bus, it is a long ride to the Magic Kingdom (20-25 minutes), so think twice if you plan on spending significant amounts of time there. The bus service itself was great: we never waited more than 10 minutes.

The room was decent size, and there were plenty of drawers for unpacking. The sink area was located outside the bathroom, and there was a privacy curtain separating that area from the rest of the room. It was a nice touch. Housekeeping was good, and after I requested additional towels our first day, they remembered to leave them daily.

We visited both the Pepper Market and lounge onsite. The Pepper Market had great food, once you got past the confusion of how to order\. The down-side was that with so many options, it meant that other members of your party had sat down and were done with their meal before you even picked yours up. Was only able to visit the lounge once, for a drink and chips/salsa. We wanted to stop other times, but found it very crowded with convention goers late afternon and evenings.

We didn't visit the themed pool, just one of the quiet pools. It was a great size and barely used at all. Although they say they do not provide towels at the quiet pools, there was a rack of them there.

There was also a fitness center a spa, but I didn't use either. I walked through the fitness center and it looked like there was plenty of equipment.

One tip: when checking out, make sure to arrange for bell services assistance well in advance. Their bell staff is limited and the resort is too spread out to handle this yourself.

Overall, I liked this resort, but there are other Disney resorts I like a lot better (Port Orleans) and would stay at those before visiting Coronado Springs again. It was just a little too spread out for me, and a bit crowded because of the conventions.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family